The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also assume that if the Met thought that Harry was in danger when he went out on a private visit.. if he went to one of his charities or to see a freind.. he would get protection even if he wasnt with his family. If it was a one off kind of thing, I am sure they dont wnat anything bad to happen to him.

Like you Denville I truly believe Harry would receive security but he cannot be seen to demand / pay for it. It opens the floodgates for wealthy people to buy police security. By giving him ' exceptional status' the Home Office are able to say that they look at each event/ situation on a one by one basis and make a decision. Lo and behold Harry and family would receive security when they were here. The HO could say he did not receive cart blanche security, pay for it or receive preferential treatment , and Harry still gets what he wants.
It could be a win win but no.

I do not believe for one minute they would leave Harry or his family vulnerable.

Of course they wouldn't. However, it seems that Harry wants to be the one to determine the terms on which he gets security and that has never been how it works.

In addition, it seems that in general because of his past, he tends to overestimate the risks. And state security cannot be based purely on an individual's perception or feelings but needs to be based on credible information.

Are we sure he's even been invited to those events? I'm less and less sure that anyone even wants to see him at this point. Apparently Eugenie did, but unlike most of the rest of them, nothing he did has attacked her personally or directly made her life more difficult.

Are we sure he's even been invited to those events? I'm less and less sure that anyone even wants to see him at this point. Apparently Eugenie did, but unlike most of the rest of them, nothing he did has attacked her personally or directly made her life more difficult.

That is a fair point but he was at his grandfather's funeral so I would have thought he would have been invited to the service but who knows. Same with the jubilee. Once again who knows.
We will never truly understand what goes on behind closed doors.
What kind of reception did he receive. ?

Someone explain to me IN TERMS OF SECURITY the difference between visiting the queen "privately" and going to the church service and jubilee event. Im assuming if harry visits the queen in "private" he will not get government security but only his personal security. So why is it he "plans to visit the queen privately" but cant come to the church service or jubilee event because of "security" reasons. By the way his lawyer said he wants to visit the uk because its his home but cant cause its unsafe. Now he says he will visit the queen privately. So which is it safe or dangerous? The boy doesnt make any sense.
There's not much difference, TBH, in terms of security. He can have his private, paid for security team, with him anytime he travels somewhere outside of royal estates and official events. Which seems to be enough for him in the US. Then on a royal estate he's also under the official, state security royal residences are covered by. As much as he would be on an official church service or any Jubilee event.

The last time Harry and Meghan came to the UK when they still had tax payer funded government security they didnt even stay in their home frogmore they stayed in an expensive hotel..that hotel stay probably cost the tax payers alot of money because the guards also needed rooms in that hotel.
Banging on about security now but the last time they were there they didnt even stay in their secure forgomore cottage instead they stayed in a very public hotel. Make it make sense!

Harry stayed at Frogmore Cottage with Eugenie and Jack the last time he was in the UK however, and reportedly also visited his grandmother at nearby Windsor Castle while he was doing so. So he certainly wasn’t staying at a hotel on that occasion!

Harry stayed at Frogmore Cottage with Eugenie and Jack the last time he was in the UK however, and reportedly also visited his grandmother at nearby Windsor Castle while he was doing so. So he certainly wasn’t staying at a hotel on that occasion!
I think Vicky7 means the last time Harry AND Meghan together visited UK and not just Harry by himself, which are two different occasions :flowers:

Though I have no idea where they stayed during that visit, hotel really doesn't make any sense (which is not the same as saying it's not true, because everything is possible with that couple).

I believe the hotel stay was reported on Twitter. AFAIR I don’t think any of the mainstream media stated that the couple were staying in any hotel (and even if for some reason the Sussexes did object to Frogmore, where much of their furniture remained at that time, there was plenty of room at nearby Windsor Castle.

Yeah I remember that.

I also recall pics from his first return of the Queen driving round Windsor/Frogmore with her corgis, and fonts joking she was popping over for tea with Harry.?

Harry and Meghan didn't stay at the hotel. The media wrongly assumed it because they were first spotted there, but they were just having a meeting. They stayed at Frogmore Cottage, which the media corrected in reporting once they realized they had the incorrect information.

No idea what they will do with the Jubilee. I think everyone taking that day by day right now. They will be travelling to the Hague in 3 weeks or so. So, it will be interesting how people cover that. Will any of the UK media rota travel over? Harry is not a working royal so not sure why they would.

I also wonder if it will be the entire Sussex family or just Harry.

Last edited:
Given the situation, I'm glad that HRH The Duke of Sussex attended his grandfather's funeral for a last goodbye. Although HRH The Prince of Edinburgh deserves a public thanksgiving for everything he's done for the British people and the Commonwealth, HRH The Duke of Sussex may feel as though the smaller farewell may be enough for him, especially with regards to perceived threats to his family.

I do hope that he's able to visit HM The Queen privately, possibly after going to the Netherlands, given how close they are. I'm sure, however, that HM The Queen won't deeply condemn him if not.

There's not much difference, TBH, in terms of security. He can have his private, paid for security team, with him anytime he travels somewhere outside of royal estates and official events. Which seems to be enough for him in the US. Then on a royal estate he's also under the official, state security royal residences are covered by. As much as he would be on an official church service or any Jubilee event.
I remember someone saying that part of Harry's issue is that his private security would not be allowed to be armed in the UK. They are armed in the US.

I remember someone saying that part of Harry's issue is that his private security would not be allowed to be armed in the UK. They are armed in the US.

I dont think his security is armed in the US...
What he wants is access to files/information that he is not entitled to. If there was a real threat the authorities will notify him but they will not show him any files or anything.

Why is the UK safe enough to visit the queen privately. But for a high profile event where there will be maximum security because of other heads of state attending all of a sudden the UK becomes too dangerous. Where is the sense?

I'm sure, however, that HM The Queen won't deeply condemn him if not.

I doubt she will.

The reality of the BRF relationships is nowhere near as dramatic as the hysterical coverage which sells papers.

David Attenborough famously commented how there would be a plethora of stories about royal relations, which he personally knew were nonsense, but believed it wasn't his place to correct.

I mean despite everything, HM remains close to ex daughter-in law, Duchess of York.

Last edited:
Thank you to the posters who answered my question about Diplomatic Immunity.

I dont think his security is armed in the US.

They could be. Everybody seems to be armed in the US (sadly) although not so much in some big cities. In rural areas, it is pretty much a given that Americans carry guns.

I'd imagine that Harry's US guards are carrying... I thought that was parlty why he wanted to use the Met RPOS in the UK partly because of their information services and partly because his own bodyguards can't use guns in the UK.. but the RPOs can.

They could be. Everybody seems to be armed in the US (sadly) although not so much in some big cities. In rural areas, it is pretty much a given that Americans carry guns.

I tend to believe that they're armed and that would have been at the request of the Sussexes.

Also Santa Barbara County is largely rural so I presume that there are a number of landowners and residents who have chosen to obtain permits.

Last edited:
From the photos/videos ive seen they dont seem to be carrying. Ive seen Jeff Bezos with his security and they dont carry and hes way more important than harry and meghan

It has nothing to do with importance.. it is to do with the wishes of the client.. and hte needs of a situation. Harry is clearly very conscous about security and has been accustomed all his life to have armed men around him.. so I would imagine that in the US where guns are much more legal than they are here, he'd want his guards to carry them

The Duke of Sussex virtually talked to Gulistan and Elizabeth Mirzaei, the directors of "Three Songs For Benazir". It’s a short documentary taking place at a refugee camp in Kabul, Afghanistan, and is nominated for an Oscar.

** Pic **

Last week, we had the honor and privilege to speak with Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex about our film THREE SONGS FOR BENAZIR. Prince Harry's love, and dedication to Afghanistan is truly inspiring and we are so grateful to have had the opportunity to share our story with him.

All I'll say is that it was nailed on the head when stated that Harry's lack of attendance at his grandfather's Service of Thanksgiving due to his fear of lack of security was a "pathetic excuse". That's on him and probably will come back to bite him in the back of the front in years to come. That's on him and him alone.

Notice it was only a short blip too in the interview about the service. That's really all it warranted.

All I'll say is that it was nailed on the head when stated that Harry's lack of attendance at his grandfather's Service of Thanksgiving due to his fear of lack of security was a "pathetic excuse". That's on him and probably will come back to bite him in the back of the front in years to come. That's on him and him alone.

Notice it was only a short blip too in the interview about the service. That's really all it warranted.

And stated by one of the duke of Edinburgh's former royal protection officers, so someone who knows what he is talking about.

And it really was a pathetic excuse. And yes the protection officer does know what he is talking about. I honestly think Harry did not want to attend and so made up a whole lot of ado about nothing.

TBH my heart broke a little today. I can't imagine a world where Harry circa 2015 and earlier would miss his beloved grandfather's service of thanksgiving. The man who protected him in Balmoral when Princess Diana died, who walked behind his mother's coffin with him... Who, from the accounts of all his grandchildren, was an amazing, loving grandfather with a wicked sense of humor.

Harry should've been there. Meghan should've been there too, but I don't think we'll see her in the UK ever again, she already said her goodbyes. But I think with time, Harry will realize what he did, and it will be one of the most painful memories of his life - though it will be too late at that point to fix his mistake. And if he doesn't, well, then I'll think he's truly too far gone for his relationship with his family recover in the future.

The security excuse is pathetic given how many HEADS of STATE were in attendance security around this event would have been the tightest anywhere in the world. It was just an excuse to avoid his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom