The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless Meghan's dress is about to fly up, which means bigger problem than stocking, I fail to see how that applies to anything here.

I fail to see how a nice coat and a dress is not all of sudden Kardashians. Or celebrity.

Another angle

Glad to see this coat back - I find the cut to be particularly flattering on Meghan and I enjoyed the monochromatic style of today.

While I am not usually one for tights myself, I do feel this was a pretty brisk look without it for January. I guess, she just doesn't feel comfortable in them. Certainly didn't grow up with it or is used to it in any way. Who knows maybe with time she'll learn to appreciate what nice cosy tights can do on a brisk winter day. :)

I won't even comment on the shortness or the tightness debate by some of the people who never seem to be bothered when other people in the BRF wear them. Constantly. Over years. Pregnant or not. (I do realise that some keep their commentary constant for all ladies so that's a completely fair game. :flowers: )

____
As with several times in the past when Meghan's hair is discussed in such a zealous way, I have to remind myself that it is very likely not meant to be as coded as it sounds. I fail to see how her hair looks 'dirty' and 'unkempt'. Sometimes, I wonder whether people even realise how texture on women of colour works. Meghan is never going to have Catherine's picture perfect Blowout look with our humidity and CERTAINLY not while she is pregnant and can't use keratin treatments for root control. This is how a washed, flat ironed and wavy styled hair of a woman of colour looks. You can simply not like this hairstyle, but some of the language used here can be very strong and easily mistaken as something it is not.
Obviously someone hasn't been following the Kardashians very closely as Meghan has never worn anything remotely resembling that which is worn by the Kardashians and so the comment comes across as nothing less than snark as it is supposed to be insulting and inferring she has no taste and wears tacky clothes.

(..)

I liked Meghan's coat the first time she wore it and like it even better the second. The dress is very snuggly looking and I like that too. There are three schools of thought as regards maternity:

• Hide or disguise it.
  • Wear a tent and limit your outside contact, or
  • Embrace it and wear stretchy fitting maternity clothes.
Meghan was obliged to hide and disguise the fact that she was pregnant in the run-up to Eugenie's wedding. It is something that loving families do, try not to spoil special occasions and we know it must have been really hard for Meghan to do this.

Because of her age and single status, pregnancy may well have seemed a little unlikely and she may have already made that transition to accepting she would never have a child. Then along comes Harry and lightning strikes, everything changes and two years later she's not an actress anymore but the wife of a Prince and she herself a Duchess. More importantly, a pregnant Duchess! But shh, nobody can know.

Judging from my sisters and friends, the announcement of a pregnancy is a joyous occasion and everyone celebrates the expectant parents but, in this case, they couldn't. In my family, my eldest sister resigned from her job at eight months and everyone wanted to know why. She still fitted all her clothes. My middle sister went for tents and tent tops with trousers. Now my third went for short and glowing, fashionably fitted and proud as punch of her bump. My mother cringed.

Now that Meghan is no longer constrained, she is showing how happy she is to be pregnant, she is celebrating the fact and she tends toward clothes that accentuate her bump which often downplayed by her style of dressing. Christmas was a good example, Meghan walked to church with Harry and her ensemble meant all eyes were not on the bump. Her colour blocking helps in that situation and the side view of her cream coat says it all . . . it's no biggie, but straight on, the ruching at the sides showed it was definitely a maternity dress and, taking a page from her sister-in-law's book, went shorter. I get goosebumps just looking at the lack of stockings or tights. but hey, she's got good legs and obviously the cold doesn't bother her.

Last edited by a moderator:
She has beautiful hair! ? I love all of her hairstyles

Perhaps she has a more modern approach to being "ladylike". Or maybe she doesn't care about such misogynistic descriptors (When was the last time a man was told to dress more gentleman-like? IMO, these terms are used to keep women in their so-called place). The dress is actually a maternity dress designed to allow for the pregnancy without hiding it. It is a modern aesthetic. She looks great.
I agree!
For ages women had to hide their pregnancy bumps and she flaunts it with joy and pride. Lovely to see it

Regardless Meghan's hair tonight was very nice, a cute bun twisted in curls it looks like and pretty. Not hanging down and in her face so it showed her face and earrings.

Regarding the cream dress: Meghan is at the stage where what fit last night might not fit this morning. I remember having a whole bunch of dresses tossed aside while I tried to find something to wear for my husband’s art opening, some of which I had purchased less than a week before. So she gets a pass from me on her dress, which was only marginally snug.

And as for wearing tights/panty hose/stockings: Good luck trying to wrestle
your pregnant belly, hips, thighs and bottom into a stretchy, skin tight pair of those things! Just because Meghan is a slim, yoga-toned young woman, it doesn’t mean that it’s easy or even possible to do, especially without tearing the flimsy nylon material.

She looks exceptionally beautiful tonight in her navy sparkles.

I so remember those days when the outfit that you'd prepared the day/evening before suddenly no longer fit. :sad:

Her evening outfit was stunning. Her whole look was stunning. The cream dress is too tight and embracing her pregnancy has nothing to do with looking nice. You don't have to hide, you never did, that you are pregnant, we just don't have to see each lump and bump. Her hair during the day didn't look dirty, just looked like what young people think is a style,. It just hair combed. It's not a style, it is how it would be naturally. Look nice on some and not on others.

We've already had several posts about Meghan's hair deleted. I imagine it's because discussing black women's hair can very quickly cross the line and become offensive in a way that might not be obvious to non-black posters. Intentionally or not, comments about their hair looking dirty and/or unkempt is considered by many of African descent to be racist and something I think we should all respect.

I like both outfits. Her evening dress is reminiscent of CP Victoria's Nobel gown while she was pregnant with Princess Estelle.

Meghan knows what style she likes, and suits her and she sticks to it. Maternity wear is just like normal clothes - some women prefer the tighter clothing, some prefer looser. Some women will only wear dresses, some will only wear maternity pants. I wore only maternity pants with loose tops. I was comfortable and happy in that.

For all of us wondering about Meghan's lack of tights and seemingly dressing in a less wintry fashion, well...let's hear her own side of things. She seems to be saying that winters in Canada are colder...IMO...that along with her pregnancy appears to be why Meghan isn't as bundled up for the UK winter.

Indeed, the Duchess uses the magic phrase 'wind chill' that all Canadians listen for: today in Toronto the thermometer reads minus 9 but with the wind chill factor the actual temperature feels more like minus 23. Take that, London!:bang: I understand that snow drops are blooming in England, ours don't even think of coming out until the end of March.:flowers:

Her evening outfit was stunning. Her whole look was stunning. The cream dress is too tight and embracing her pregnancy has nothing to do with looking nice. You don't have to hide, you never did, that you are pregnant, we just don't have to see each lump and bump. Her hair during the day didn't look dirty, just looked like what young people think is a style,. It just hair combed. It's not a style, it is how it would be naturally. Look nice on some and not on others.

I don't think the dress looks any tighter on Meghan than it does on the model on the H&M website. It is just the style many young pregnant women are comfortable wearing these days.
https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpa...&ranSiteID=93xLBvPhAeE-f0Ce4il.F5N4mM4mPSWq5Q

Just because you do not view Meghan as a black woman, that does not stop her from being a black woman. And, just like many other black woman, her hair has a different texture and requires different care and maintenance than causcasian hair. Forgetting that and being careless while throwing around words like 'dirty' and 'unkempt' can definitely lead one to believe that there is a certain undertone being applied to said words. Meghan's hair was clearly styled today at Mayhew, just because you do not like that particular style that does not make it dirty.

Also, if you truly believe royal women just roll out of bed and skip combing their hair or showering before attending a public engagement, then you have a very warped view of how seriously they take their responsibilities. It's fine if you don't like the loose buns or flyaway strands or whatever you consider unprofessional, but you are judging women's work ethics off their hairstyles. Seems extreme.

Indeed, the Duchess uses the magic phrase 'wind chill' that all Canadians listen for: today in Toronto the thermometer reads minus 9 but with the wind chill factor the actual temperature feels more like minus 23. Take that, London!:bang: I understand that snow drops are blooming in England, ours don't even think of coming out until the end of March.:flowers:

It’s not the first time she’s talked about the weather in London v the weather in Toronto. On one of their first walk abouts, she met a Canadian. And in their short conversation, weather came up. Meghan made a comment about Brits think the weather is bad in winter, but they have no idea.

I thought Megan's hair looked fine, I like the blue sparkly dress and I think she always takes care and pride in how she looks for each occasion. I don't like every outfit she wears, but that doesn't matter at all. JMO. I just comment on the ones I like, and ignore the ones I don't. Mostly she looks just fine. Good to see her getting out her paintbox for the purple and red outfit she wore the other day. Whilst she look great in neutrals, they can look a bit the same after a while. As a wise person once said, you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time... Something like that.

Just because you do not view Meghan as a black woman, that does not stop her from being a black woman. And, just like many other black woman, her hair has a different texture and requires different care and maintenance than causcasian hair. Forgetting that and being careless while throwing around words like 'dirty' and 'unkempt' can definitely lead one to believe that there is a certain undertone being applied to said words. Meghan's hair was clearly styled today at Mayhew, just because you do not like that particular style that does not make it dirty.

Also, if you truly believe royal women just roll out of bed and skip combing their hair or showering before attending a public engagement, then you have a very warped view of how seriously they take their responsibilities. It's fine if you don't like the loose buns or flyaway strands or whatever you consider unprofessional, but you are judging women's work ethics off their hairstyles. Seems extreme.

First I want to clear something up here and everywhere, I do *not* view anyone on this entire earth by the color of their skin, that to me makes no damn difference it they are green with pink stripes or white with yellow polka dots. Not once in my life have I done that ever as I do not see color in a person, I see their character and how they treat other people in this world first. I have always said we are born the way our creator wants us and put where again the creator wants us so we should learn to accept ourselves first and then others.

And Meghan's hair style, it could be on anyone today, it was not IMHO a professional hairstyle, it looked like lots of women who just do not take the time to do something in the am with their hair....gads these royal women have money for a hairdresser each day and I see no reason on earth to not have better looking hair..long straight stringy hair to me is lazy as I did that for years and now it is all gone, thank goodness for it is easier to take care of. And since when is long straight stringy hair a hair style......who said that, someone out there telling women what is to be expected of them with them making up their own mind. I have yet to see a book that tells me or anyone what to wear at any age or how to dress in any age or what hair style looks good at any age..........so give me the author if there is such a book so I can read it. Example: I grew up thinking all old women should have short gray curly hair like my grandmother.....thank goodness for Helen Miran the actress for her hair to me is gorgeous and since I love red hair, that will be with me till the end of time .....no gray hair ever.

I am not privy to the responsibilities or how royal women view their jobs, and do all of them take their jobs seriously......that I question as I have no idea how they think in private.

I don't judge any royal by their hairstyle, the only thing that I can judge them on is what I see at events and how they treat other people in person. Some have charm and some don't, some the smile is real and some the smile is fake for it does not reach the eyes..........we all learn to see things differently as we get older....age is wonderful as it gives us time to learn and grow....ah to be young again and innocent.........not! :lol:

Lovely look today at the Mayhew. Her coat game is on point. I’d raid her closet for her collection of coats alone. The gala dress was stunning. Can’t decide if it’s navy or black. Is it 2 pieces? I feel like the skirt had an added panel to it. Might have been an optical illusion.

I really liked Meghan's evening dress, the colour is amazing and the cut, from the shoulders to the knees is really flattering but, from there down it wasn't a slit or split but a somewhat unattractive gap which to me meant two undressed legs were on show.

As to the lack of stockings, to me, it seems like the ensemble is unfinished. Stockings add 'polish' and that is one thing that sometimes seems missing in Meghan's "look".

I guess because I'm older, I'm just used to never going bare legged when I'm in a dress or a skirt. Then, I thought perhaps wrangling and squeezing and trying to put on pantyhose when pregnant isn't such an enjoyable past time as I remember how it was a pain to even try putting on socks in the late stages of pregnancy. Heck, by that time, it was more comfortable for me to wear hubby's underwear rather than my own. Lo and behold, I got a bright idea and checked it out. They *do* make maternity pantyhose!

Still, Meghan looks good and properly attired no matter what she wears. Pantyhose or not. I think her main goal is to present herself not as a "duchess" with a professional makeup artist and hairstylist at her beck and call but rather as "just Meghan" that does her own hair and her own makeup in a more "what you see is what you get" kind of an attitude. She's out and about and among the people she's serving and it's always been said that to relate to someone else, you have to speak their language. This is true in how one presents themselves too. I believe how Meghan dresses and does her hair and makeup kind of gives her the approachable aura. It says that she's not that much different than anybody else in the room. Its all about relating to someone else.

That's my take on it anyways. :D

Lovely look today at the Mayhew. Her coat game is on point. I’d raid her closet for her collection of coats alone. The gala dress was stunning. Can’t decide if it’s navy or black. Is it 2 pieces? I feel like the skirt had an added panel to it. Might have been an optical illusion.

It’s a navy dress [emoji5]

I understand that many of you want her to wear hose, but that's been out of style for at least a whole generation now.

And I for one am thrilled at that! Ridiculous to ask women to wear leg coverings that very often are ruined before one walks out of the house. If one is wearing a skirt and is cold, there are always tights. But if not cold I've always thought "nylons" a costly invention of the devils with few redeemable qualities.

She has perfectly beautiful legs that don't need to be covered to be lovely. :bang: JMO.

I remember my mother telling me when pantyhose was invented that at least I didn't have to wear "silk stockings" and garter belts and worry about keeping the back of the leg seams straight. My age is showing horribly. :lol:

Things change with time and to be honest, I never knew women were going bare legged until the discussions on here. Then again, I can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose either. However, I do wear yoga socks with grippers on them. They're a godsend to people with bad backs and knees.

My mom wore panty hose with garters but I think that was before they invented thigh highs...she, in my whole life, would never wear anything but thigh highs ..and they were worn with everything, including jeans!

I gotta admit...when I was still wearing hose, I rarely wore panty hose (one piece)...I wore thigh or even knee highs if possible.

I have to wonder if folks were having these conversations when ladies stopped wearing corsets in the 1900's ...that was considered quite improper at the time to go out in public not 'contained'

LaRae

I bought my first two pair of pantyhose last year, and only because I was visiting the Middle East. Haven't worn them since. I just don't understand skin colored films on my skin and what purpose it serves. I work in the financial sector, so we do follow a more conservative approach than a lot of other industries. Even when I was in consulting, that was never something that came up. The only time I recall is when I was at the local bank in the town I worked at and a random woman asked stopped me to ask if I'm wearing pantyhose. I was so weirded out by it, but I said no. Her response was oh, you have really smooth legs. So I guess there is that. But beyond that, I don't see any benefit. And there is obviously a reason why they've been going out of style.

I bought my first two pair of pantyhose last year, and only because I was visiting the Middle East. Haven't worn them since. I just don't understand skin colored films on my skin and what purpose it serves. I work in the financial sector, so we do follow a more conservative approach than a lot of other industries. Even when I was in consulting, that was never something that came up. The only time I recall is when I was at the local bank in the town I worked at and a random woman asked stopped me to ask if I'm wearing pantyhose. I was so weirded out by it, but I said no. Her response was oh, you have really smooth legs. So I guess there is that. But beyond that, I don't see any benefit. And there is obviously a reason why they've been going out of style.

I think this is a cultural issue, and from the discussions here, it is clear that people in the US have a very different view to tights / pantyhose than we do in the UK and Europe. Here, we do not view it so much as a traditional vs modern thing. It is what is done at most times of the year, other than the summer months when it is very warm (and then, too, for very formal occasions). If you are going to wear a dress or a skirt in the winter, how else will you stay warm?

And Meghan's hair style, it could be on anyone today,

long straight ... hair to me is lazy

I don't judge any royal by their hairstyle,

Yes, Meghan's hair could be anyone today--many young women wear their hair long and straightened. It is a current style.

For many women it takes a lot of work and effort to get it straight, not lazy at all.

I am envious of anyone who has long hair that looks as good as Meghan's or Catherine's--mine is too fine to ever look good long. They have beautiful heads of hair.

You may not intend to seem that you are judging Meghan by her hairstyle, but it is coming across that way in writing.:flowers:

I think this is a cultural issue, and from the discussions here, it is clear that people in the US have a very different view to tights / pantyhose than we do in the UK and Europe. Here, we do not view it so much as a traditional vs modern thing. It is what is done at most times of the year, other than the summer months when it is very warm (and then, too, for very formal occasions). If you are going to wear a dress or a skirt in the winter, how else will you stay warm?

Toughen up between car and indoors. What is a thin film going to do in the winter? It's going to be cold either way. Or wear pants. But pantyhose is not going to keep someone warm. I wore dress yesterday and it was 30F. No pantyhose.

Last edited:
Toughen up between car and indoors. What is a thin film going to do in the winter? It's going to be cold either way. Or wear pants. I wore dress yesterday and it was 30F. No pantyhose.

With respect, I think your response has clearly demonstrated the cultural difference I was referring to. Tights make a massive difference.

With respect, I think your response has clearly demonstrated the cultural difference I was referring to. Tights make a massive difference.

Absolutely agree!
Not everyone is using cars in Europe, I can't imagine going out in winter or early spring or autumn without tights or pantyhose when dressed in dress or skirt.

Last edited:

Tights and pantyhose are 2 different things. Pantyhose won't make any difference to keeping you warm. That's what she's talking about.

LaRae

In winter maybe not, but in spring or autumn it's making a difference.

Personally I've never noticed my legs being warmer from wearing panty hose.

LaRae

Meghan has good legs that don't need to be covered. I like pantyhose (especially in colors) as they hide all the scars on my legs.

Now what I'm wondering if Meghan wears shoe liners. I hate the feel of bare feet in my shoes.

Back
Top Bottom