The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to mention while she's from the US, she's lived in that said Commonwealth country for 7 years.

On the velvet note. I notice the return of the velvet that's been happening. I don't mind it as a collar or something small. But I'm praying hard to the fashion gods that Meghan doesn't show up in an entire dress in velvet....:eek: It's not a good look for ANYONE.

Agree all velvet us not flattering in anyone above 8. Reminds me of Christmas concert dressers when I was little. :lol:

Love the coat and the dress, but I want to throw her booties into the trash. They´re awful and dated.

Love her outfit...the color and style are really nice! The boots are meh...but not horrible. The rest is a hit!

LaRae

Question-Are her shooties black or brown? It's hard to tell from my screen.

I love the burgandy coat but not the dress.

Love the coat and the colour and I think the two tone is working for me. The dress is a sack dress but again it's working for me in a way it normally might not. The whole thing is perfect for a casual, Autumn engagement. Especially when she's in an awkward stage of pregnancy for clothes.

Those ankles boots are hot, best part of the look for me. But I do like the dress as well. Cute look for Meghan today.

This recent look is passable, her hair is a mess but the look is OK. It gives the impression that she is there to work but also has to look nice. I agree the shoes are ugly but they don't make me hate today's attempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this colour on Meghan and I find it amusing that both Duchesses happen to have gone for a similar shade today. I think the booties work well with this look.

Great to see Meghan wearing warm winter colours, burgundy and plum. I wouldn't have thought they would go so well together but they do.
Like the ankle boots as well, just glad I am not wearing them standing for a long time cooking in a kitchen.
The dress is not so shapeless once she tied the apron on.

I love the colour. ?

I like the style of the dress and the velvet collar lifts it from the ordinary. It's great to see her adopting Catherine and many other savvy pregnant ladies style hack of shorter dresses/longer legs. The longer coat makes her look both warm and elegant.

She really is in that difficult stage of pregnancy clothes-wise but by sticking to her tone on tone mantra she's pulled a blinder. The burgundy/plum colour really suits her and gives her a real glow. Now to the boots . . . I really love them. As a very short-legged woman, knee boots look just plain funny on me so I wear ankle boots and have to admit that I have none quite so elegant as Meghan's.

Love Duchess Meghan’s entire look today. I’m definitely treating myself to the Daylina coat.

Adorable dress with the velvet collar and good cranberry color. The booties do her legs no favor, imo

I like the look but I'm not amazed by it. But I love the color. I don't dislike her boots, but they are a weird combination with that coat and dress, besides, that particular style of the boots make her legs more skinny, and that's not a good thing.

I love the colour. ?

I like the style of the dress and the velvet collar lifts it from the ordinary. It's great to see her adopting Catherine and many other savvy pregnant ladies style hack of shorter dresses/longer legs. The longer coat makes her look both warm and elegant.

She really is in that difficult stage of pregnancy clothes-wise but by sticking to her tone on tone mantra she's pulled a blinder. The burgundy/plum colour really suits her and gives her a real glow. Now to the boots . . . I really love them. As a very short-legged woman, knee boots look just plain funny on me so I wear ankle boots and have to admit that I have none quite so elegant as Meghan's.
Meghan is not adopting anything of Kate's. She is her own woman. Meghan is special and independent in her own right.

Those ankles boots are hot, best part of the look for me. But I do like the dress as well. Cute look for Meghan today.

Ditto for me. I thought she looked great overall but the boots were the standout. I also loved the more casual Stuart Weitzman boots from New Zealand so I’m excited to see what the rest of fall/winter have in store.

So there are a lot of mixed reviews for the two-piece mermaid gown at the Royal Variety show outing. I liked how Meghan looked, and I think she carried it off fine. I can see what some are criticizing, but maybe they are seeing it through their own preference prism. Meghan is making choices that suit her body and her own style directives, taking into account her position, the event, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with the black band just below her bodice. I think the top is nicely styled. It's not something I would wear, but it looks fine on Meghan. And she's previously worn attire that's fashionably hugging the ground. ? Overall, it's an interesting and unexpected choice from her.

It's been said that Meghan and Kate were twinning today at their (embargoed) unannounced in advance events. Vanity Fair suggests the appearance of twinning in their attire demonstrates a show of sister-in-law unity (in the face of negative gossip). On a previous occasion earlier this year, Kate & Will were at an evening event on tour in Norway and Kate wore a gorgeous gown by McQueen, while Meghan attended the Endeavour Awards the same evening wearing a McQueen tux.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/a25250555/kate-middleton-twinning-meghan-markle-red-coat/
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/11/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-matching

I like Meghan's overall look, and I love the plum/burgundy colors. I also love the ankle boots -- they look good on Meghan. Kate's two-piece previously worn outfit was more of a burgundy shade (with black turtleneck). M&K both had their hair pulled back in ponytails, and they both wore dark tights with tone-on-tone footwear. Great looks and events for the young Windsor duchesses.

Ugh for all those who wanted her to take fashion cues from Kate and feta British stylist you should be happy. This is so far from her normal style, a sad attempt at being more Royal or something.

Major let down. Was excited to see her rock tonight ...

I suppose if you had expectations in advance of something in particular, then disappointment is usually just around the corner. These days, I'm just always happy to click on the Meghan fashion sites and be surprised and delighted, or underwhelmed, as it goes. In general, I'm learning to try and be more detached. I think I learned that during the South Pacific tour when there was something to see every day, and there were so many lovely surprises after a few opening days of Meghan in black, white, navy, and green colors we'd seen so often. I especally loved the white Theia gown, the azure blue Safiyaa gown, the red Self-Portrait dress in Tonga, the Serena Wiliams gray plaid blazer, the striped maxi beach dress, the red & white polka dot casual dress, the burgundy outfit boarding a plane, the lovely bright blue day outfit at one event, the plaid trench coat, the burgundy top at Invictus, a reappearance of the iconic Antonio Berardi navy asymmetrical hemline dress, and the beautiful b&w Oscar de la Renta bird dress at the National Geographic awards evening.

All told, the sartorial gifts during the South Pacific tour were enough to satisfy me, and to also help me take a step back to realize these are Meghan's choices, and most often she looks fine. She's not trying to be a fashion plate. She is experimenting and trying to adjust, as well as trying to honor her position, highlight designers and brands that practice sustainability, while retaining a sense of herself and her own style.

(..)

I agree with Ronnsha that Meghan rocks her own style, even with some of her missteps and experimenting in her new role. If anything, Meghan is bringing a laid-back approach to royal style, with a touch of edge and casual sophistication. Meghan has surely gotten some tips and general advice from Kate, but they are each their own woman, self-assured and knowing what works for their bodies individually. I think Meghan admires Kate, and they both respect each other. If anything, they are each influencing each other, and to a degree being inspired by each other in different ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meghan is not adopting anything of Kate's. She is her own woman. Meghan is special and independent in her own right.
I am quite aware that she is her own woman and find it strange that a alluding to a "style" trend that has been discussed in fashion magazines from Vogue on down should elicit such a response.

Like it or not, Meghan is using that style and so has Catherine when she was pregnant. However, her unique twist was to use her usual long coat and, since it obviously wasn't freezing, she left it undone.

I do not think we are going to see Meghan in matching short coat and dress ensembles any time soon! [emoji33]

Meghan's use of such a short dress was really noteworthy as she tends to wear midi length skirts and dresses. Even more surprising was where she wore it.

I am quite aware that she is her own woman and find it strange that a alluding to a "style" trend that has been discussed in fashion magazines from Vogue on down should elicit such a response.

Like it or not, Meghan is using that style and so has Catherine when she was pregnant. However, her unique twist was to use her usual long coat and, since it obviously wasn't freezing, she left it undone.

I do not think we are going to see Meghan in matching short coat and dress ensembles any time soon! [emoji33]

Meghan's use of such a short dress was really noteworthy as she tends to wear midi length skirts and dresses. Even more surprising was where she wore it.
Meghan hasn’t always worn midi skirts. It just happens that midi skirts has been making a comeback.

A few bickering posts have been removed.

I like the look but I'm not amazed by it. But I love the color. I don't dislike her boots, but they are a weird combination with that coat and dress, besides, that particular style of the boots make her legs more skinny, and that's not a good thing.

Exactly this. I like the dress, I don't love it but it is nice and three cheers for actual color. :flowers: Same with the coat...nice, nothing overly spectacular but great color. I really do like the boots, they look very much like some of the booties I have in my own closet and I find that they're very versatile and can be worn with a ton of different outfits, for different occasions, etc. However, I definitely agree with the assessment that they make her already very skinny legs look even skinnier and that's not a good look.

Should we be describing Meghan’s legs as very skinny, not a good look...
Those are the legs she was born with, can’t change...they don’t need to be remarked upon in a critical way...over and over again. And many think her legs are very attractive.

And she is not obliged to cover them up because some find them unlovely.

Should we be describing Meghan’s legs as very skinny, not a good look...
Those are the legs she was born with, can’t change...they don’t need to be remarked upon in a critical way...over and over again. And many think her legs are very attractive.

And she is not obliged to cover them up because some find them unlovely.

This is a thread regarding her fashion choices and part of that is playing up your best features while playing down your less attractive features. I have yet to see anyone saying anything hateful or rude about Meghan's legs but the fact remains that many posters don't believe they're her best feature and that she has other very nice features to highlight. These booties do draw attention to her legs and it seems more than fair to comment on the fact that they might not be the best fashion choice when they specifically draw attention to a feature that might not be as attractive as others. For example, Meghan has a lovely skin tone and beautiful, rich, dark hair and the color she chose with this dress serves that well. It absolutely serves to highlight both her skin tone and her hair color and it's the perfect compliment to both. It's really okay for posters to point out the bad along with the good.

Would you feel comfortable about describing a royal lady’s legs as “very fat”?

I don’t think we’re supposed to body shame on the forums, but perhaps I am mistaken.

And even if legs, arms, etc are not necessarily a person’s best feature, there’s no reason for her to cover them up purely for the sake of fashion.

Last edited:
:lol: Meghan's legs work for her very well, IMHO. She has thin legs, but I do not think her legs are unattractive. She is very toned and fit, and she knows what works for her body. Her choices may not work for someone else's body or be others' preferences, and that's okay too.

I think in general that Meghan has lovely, well put together features overall. She is short-waisted, but she also has a lovely, long neck, beautiful symmetrical facial features, broad shoulders, and long legs and arms, and she's shapely in the right places.

We all have different bodies, and it's helpful to know how to dress to enhance the bodies we are in. Meghan knows how to do that with a great deal of elan, ease, and grace.

Since this is Meghan's fashion-related thread, I'm posting the below link that was noted in the Sussex general thread:
This 2015 photo surfaced showing Meghan visiting Malta (where a female ancestor of hers was born). Meghan is wearing a cool outfit with an unusual head-covering that is said to be the national head-dress of the country.

The outfit looks perfect for maternity wear! ;)

We all have different bodies, and it's helpful to know how to dress to enhance the bodies we are in. Meghan knows how to do that with a great deal of elan, ease, and grace.

Yes! I honestly don't think it's in any way "body shaming" to point out that one feature might be someone's best feature while another may not and that it's helpful to avoid clothing that highlights those features that may not be most flattering to highlight. It is what it is. For example, I'm a bit heavier than I'd like to be but I know that my hair and eyes are some of my better features. Therefore I try to dress to accentuate those areas and draw attention there rather than drawing attention to my mid-section. I wouldn't be offended if you told me that my hair and eyes are lovely but that my waist isn't my best feature. It is what it is. I think this is probably part of why we often see Meghan in wide-leg pants or midi-dresses, they tend to accentuate her best features without showcasing features that aren't her most flattering.

Back
Top Bottom