The Battenberg - Mountbattens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neither is dressed like a dashing aristocrat, but it doesn't appear to have stopped Lord Brabourne and his son Nicholas Knatchbull – heir to his £100million fortune – from finding female companionship.
Nicholas, 31, was seen stepping out near his flat in Stockwell, South London, with student Raz Tedros, 27, following the collapse of his engagement to a single mother.

Read more: Love's in fashion for lord and son: Queen's cousin and Prince Charles' godson look smitten in London | Mail Online

'The heir' referred to in the article is the heir to the Marquis of Milford Haven title. He was accused, and admitted, a traffic offense and due to his clear remorse and need for his car was allowed to pay a fine rather than loose his license.

The Milford Haven title was established in 1917 by George V for Prince Louis of Battenburg, who due to the various title changes at the time, changed his name from Battenburg to Mountbatten. The first Marquis had four children - Alice, George, Louise and Louis.

Alice is famous for being the mother of Prince Philip.

George, the 2nd Marquis, was the guardian of the young Philip (along with his mother and widow of the first Marquis - Princess Victoria - eldest daughter of Queen Victoria's daughter Alice and eldest sister of Empress Alexandra of Russia) until his death. His son - the 3rd Marquis - was Philip's best man at his wedding to Elizabeth in 1947.

Louise went on the become Queen of Sweden.

Louis - otherwise known as Earl Mountbatten of Burma, or simply Lord Mountbatten, is the man who promoted the relationship between Philip and Elizabeth as well as mentoring the young Prince Charles.

The current heir will be the 5th Marquis when his father (the 4th Marquis) dies.

Last edited:
:previous:
George was born in 1961; he bore the courtesy title of Earl of Medina until his father's death in 1970 when he succeeded to the Marquessate.

Marquesses of Milford Haven (1917)

The heir apparent is the present Marquess's son Henry David Louis Mountbatten, Earl of Medina (1991-)

courtesy of Wikipedia

Isn't the current marquess of Milford Haven the 4th one??

Thank you - I have edited my original post with that correction.

I am really slipping - must be the Christmas spirit.:lol:

Godchild of Princess Diana becomes patron of Mountbatten School, Romsey
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/109...becomes_patron_of_Mountbatten_School__Romsey/

KING'S LYNN, UNITED KINGDOM - JANUARY 12: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 48 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) Lady Penny Brabourne, Alexandra Knatchbull and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinbugh leave St. Mary Magdalene Church, Sandringham after attending Sunday service on January 12, 2014
Pic

India Hicks was named India because her grandfather, Lord Mountbatten was the last viceroy of India.

That's rather cool actually!

5DN Art..

ola, i dont know if im suppose to post it here, so if its not, im sorry,....im new with these forum things hahaha and i dont know.... anyway...does anyone knows anything about the mountbatens???
lady penny mountbatten and lord montbatten???
Alexandra and Nicholas knatchbull???
Im in love with Nicholas Knatchbull, hahahaha, but we dont get to know much about them...:( thats sad, coz hes so gorgeusand alex too...
Anyway if somebody knows anything about the familly especially about Nick, that would be great, wher can i get news from them , or pics...
coz its so hard to find anything about them, so i´d be very happy :)
Anyway, see ya guys, sorry bout the long posting, and sorry about the bad english, see ya!!! ;)
I came across this on ebay..might be of interest? now Nick Knatchbull goes by the artist name of 5DN..could be a collectable piece of art sometime soon and well worth investing in..I believe he's selling it personally...Abstract colourful original 80cm x 80cm digital art print in beautiful frame 5DN | eBay

By the age of fifteen, George Mountbatten (future Marquess of Milford Haven) was designing and constructing his own working models of steam engines.

In The Royals, Kitty Kelley wrote:

Lord Mountbatten invited all the crowned heads of Europe to make sure his daughter, Lady Pamela's wedding was as colorful and splendid as a royal wedding, prompting the press to describe him as "almost royal."
:crown::crown3::crown5::crown7::crown8::crown6::crown4::crown2:

The choice of sending a young Prince Philip to attend Cheam School was made by his guardian George Milford Haven.

On March 18, 1947, two days before they left for India, Louis and Edwina Mountbatten hosted a farewell reception for seven hundred guests at the Royal Automobile Club on Pall Mall.

In Diana, Sarah Bradford wrote:

Norton and Penny Romsey, Mountbatten's grandson and his wife, were against Diana from the beginning. They thought that she was in love with the idea of being Princess of Wales, rather than with the Prince himself. :princess3:

In Prince Philip, Philip Eade wrote:

The queen and Princess Elizabeth also viewed (Lord Louis) Mountbatten with suspicion, thinking him a little too inclined to take advantage of the fact that he was a cousin of the king. The king also, while ostensibly fond of Mountbatten, was said by (Sir Alan) Lascelles to be 'under no illusions whatever about dear cousin Dickie!'

Last edited by a moderator:
May I be honest with all of you? I am going to catch grief..lol....but what else is new?

I have always found them to be a bit..arrogant. NOT this generation, but Dickie and his two daughters and Louise his sister.. Just reading about them, their interviews, and some snarky comments made by them over the years. Like this desperate need to prove royal status.

And let's be honest, poor Edwina had to use her fortune VERY generously to support almost every Battenberg..including Princess Anna. I sometimes wonder what they all would have done if not for Edwina's fortune.

NOW, I know Both Dickie and Louise were good people, kind, supportive, etc..but his two daughters recently with their books shocked me by their comments regarding members of the royal family..

When Prince Charles met his mother and his father for lunch at Broadlands to discuss Lord Louis Mountbatten's funeral arrangements, Charles said he did not think he could get through the service without breaking down.

It was sad for Prince Louis of Battenberg to relinquish his princely title.
His Battenberg name was German.
He was born in Germany.
Prince Louis was loyal to the British Crown.
He did Anglicize Battenberg to Mountbatten. :britflag:

Lord Mountbatten's daughter Pamela married on January 13, 1960.
The bride's entrance into Romsey Abbey was heralded by trumpets playing "O Perfect Love".
The bridesmaids' coronets were of hyacinth petals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly enough, Battenberg was a really minor German principality, so becoming a British lord was a good deal for him. It was funny though that his daughter Louise almost wasn't allowed to marry a Swedish prince, until it was agreed that she was a princess after all. :whistling:

Interestingly enough, Battenberg was a really minor German principality, so becoming a British lord was a good deal for him. It was funny though that his daughter Louise almost wasn't allowed to marry a Swedish prince, until it was agreed that she was a princess after all. :whistling:

Both Prince Louis and his wife Princess Viktoria had a very down to earth outlook on the whole name and title changing business.
Prince Louis wrote in his son George's (whom he stayed with in the period around the transition of names and titles) guest book that he "Arrived Prince Jekyll, Departed Lord Hyde" and Princess Viktoria found her new title of Marchioness so common sounding that she said she'd rather have stayed Mrs Mountbatten.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Did Victoria keep in touch with her sister Princess Irene of Prussia?

History Rewind: Lord Mountbatten killed by IRA bomb
On 27th August 1979 Her Majesty The Queen’s cousin, Lord Mountbatten, was tragically killed by an IRA bomb blast whilst on his boat in Ireland.
It wasn’t just Mountbatten who perished on the boat; one of his twin grandson’s, Nicholas, and a local boat boy, Paul Maxwell, also died as a result of the bomb explosion.

Lord Mountbatten and his family were on their traditional summer holiday at their castle in County Sligo, north-west Ireland. On this particular day they were on board Mountbatten’s boat, Shadow V, which had set off from fishing village Mullaghmore. The bomb was detonated at around 11:30am and, according to witnesses, the boat was ‘blown to smithereens’ and all seven occupants were hurled in to the water.

It was sad for Prince Louis of Battenberg to relinquish his princely title.
His Battenberg name was German.
He was born in Germany.
Prince Louis was loyal to the British Crown.
He did Anglicize Battenberg to Mountbatten. :britflag:

I read somewhere,I think it's on Alexander Palace Board,that Louis and his daughters Patricia and Pamella once traveled to Germany and during one of the visits,they signed the guest book as Prinz/Prinzessin von Battenberg...

Of course they were loyal to the British Crown,but I think this shows how they felt inside about the whole thing...

Back
Top Bottom