State Visit from Jordan to Belgium: May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King delivers speech at Louvain Catholic University
Louvain, May 18 (Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah II, on Wednesday, delivered a speech at Belgium's Université Catholique de Louvain (Louvain Catholic University-UCL), in the presence of Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah, Belgium's King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, academics and researchers experts in Islamic affairs and UCL students.

Queens Rania, Mathilde visit King Baudouin Foundation in Brussels
Amman, May 18 (Petra)– As part of His Majesty King Abdullah II on a state visit to Belgium, Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah, accompanied by Belgium’s Queen Mathilde, on Wednesday, visited the King Baudouin Foundation in Brussels.

Geared towards improving living conditions and advocating for social justice, the foundation has tailored programs for facilitating the integration of migrants in Belgium.

King hold talks with Belgian King, prime minister
Brussels, May 18 (Petra)--His Majesty King Abdullah II on Wednesday held talks in the Belgian capital Brussels, with King Philippe that focused on means to boost the friendship and historic ties between the two kingdoms as well as the latest regional and international developments.

During the talks which continued over a lunch banquet that was attended by Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah and Queen Mathilde of Belgium, the two leaders voiced their keenness to strengthen bilateral ties, mainly in the economic and investment fields.

'Tis a pity, the once ravishing Queen of Jordan now appears to be Botoxed up.. The fixed smile and zero wrinkles is a give away, and NOT a good look...

I expected so courageous a Woman to have the dignity to accept ageing gracefully.

Last edited:
First pic from the State Banquet
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ciwd0-aUoAAb2Ko.jpg:large
It's hard to tell which tiara Queen Mathilde is wearing. Probably either the bandeau of the provinces tiara or her laurel wreath tiara. Queen Rania wear mot likely her bracelet tiara.

Queen Mathilde is wearing the base of the Nine Provinces tiara. I guess she is saving the Spanish gift tiara for a future occasion such as the upcoming state visits to Japan or the Netherlands (assuming, of course, that she has it in her possession, which we don't know for sure yet).

I am still upset though that Queen Paola decided to give Queen Elisabeth's tiara to Princess Astrid rather than leaving it to Queen Mathilde. The Art Deco tiara would be perfect for an event like a state visit from Jordan.

BTW, where are King Philippe's siblings ? It looks like neither Astrid nor Laurent were in attendance at the banquet this evening !

Last edited:
:bang:
[...]

I am still upset though that Queen Paola decided to give Queen Elisabeth's tiara to Princess Astrid rather than leaving it to Queen Mathilde. The Art Deco tiara would be perfect for an event like a state visit from Jordan.

[...]

Queen Mathilde has received the Nine Provinces and some other bijoux, possibly also the Spanish Diadem.

Princess Astrid, Queen Paola's only daughter, never received jewels. It is only logical that mother Paola did not forget daughter Astrid...

Is it just the King and Queen attending tonight and no other members of the Belgian Royal Family?

Queen Mathilde is wearing the base of the Nine Provinces tiara. I guess she is saving the Spanish gift tiara for a future occasion such as the upcoming state visits to Japan or the Netherlands (assuming, of course, that she has it in her possession, which we don't know for sure yet).

Do you have a closer pic where the tiara can be seen claerly. In the pics i have seen so far it is not clear if it is the bandeau of the provinces tiara.
Streange that for a State visit to a republic with a black tie State Babnquet she choose tio wear 2 tiaras (one as tiara and one as necklace) and at an incoming State Visit from another Monarchy only a tiara but no necklace or broosh.

An_Ard_Ri said:
Is it just the King and Queen attending tonight and no other members of the Belgian Royal Family?

I think it has been the same for the Chinese SV. Laurent supposedly is on semi-strike since his dotation was lowered and Claire hasn't been seen at many public events after that either. Supposedly the dressing costs are too high. Between Astrid and Filip there supposedly is a rift too. And Albert and Paola seldom do any official events, the relationship between Albert and Filip has always been difficult. As we saw with the commemorative mass for members of the royal family: besides the king and queen only princess Léa and princess Esmeralda attended, but they ahve never participated in state visits.

So that leaves the king and queen.

Last edited:
Do you have a closer pic where the tiara can be seen claerly. In the pics i have seen so far it is not clear if it is the bandeau of the provinces tiara.
Streange that for a State visit to a republic with a black tie State Babnquet she choose tio wear 2 tiaras (one as tiara and one as necklace) and at an incoming State Visit from another Monarchy only a tiara but no necklace or broosh.

A closer picture was posted to another forum, you can see it in the link below

Belga Image - Editorial

It looks like Mathilde was also wearing Queen Fabiola's diamond pearl earrings and ruby bracelet, though I am not sure about the latter.

Belga Image - Editorial

:bang:

Queen Mathilde has received the Nine Provinces and some other bijoux, possibly also the Spanish Diadem.

Princess Astrid, Queen Paola's only daughter, never received jewels. It is only logical that mother Paola did not forget daughter Astrid...

This is probably not the right topic to talk about it, but I think it's a bit pointless to leave a tiara to someone that will have increasingly lesser occasions to wear it, when you have a daughter in law and a grand daughter who are respectively the current and the future Queen of the Belgians.

On to be back on topic, this is one of the best looks for Mathilde, and I absolutely love her diamond and ruby bracelet.

:previous: I agree. There were certainly other jewels to give Astrid. I wish the tiaras were like in Sweden and the UK (for the most part) loaned out. It would have been great to see the future Queen Elisabeth wearing her namesake's tiara. Belgium has so few tiaras, sad to see another one go.

Wonderful. Leurs Altesses still know how it should be done.

The Princes of Ligne bowed/curtsied to the royals. I thought that custom was no longer observed in the Belgian court.

The Princes of Ligne bowed/curtsied to the royals. I thought that custom was no longer observed in the Belgian court.

It is optional, never a requirement. The Prince and Princess decided to go the old way. All other Courts follow the same policy: it is optional. A handshake is also perfectly fine.

No this was it. The official visit only lasted 2 days and ended today in the afternoon in Brugges. No contra-presentation from the king and queen of Jordan.

Back
Top Bottom