"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After all those publications, comments and discussions, which are never ending, the question for me still remains:

WHY WHY did he do all this? To relieve himself? Did a therapist advise him? Did Meghan advise him? Or is it just revenge? Or did he do it for money? So many questions I have.

He should have known that this book would be discussed worldwide on the media (something he always hated..) and should have been aware of all the really , what I call "trash TV" details being discussed and critizied.
Maybe he is just not intelligent or sensible or educted or clever enough...

I think he wants to destroy the British monarchy and all of what it is standing for. The traditions, for example the Colbert show, where they were mocking him and he was surely told about this before, the scene where Meghan exaggerated the bowing to the Queen.

He can do all this but not expecting that the royal family will discuss it with him and change. He is delusional about that.
I think money plays a huge role. They seem to desire that A-lister lifestyle and Harry's inheritance won't cover that. And the only way for them to make serious money is to monetize their royal status, how vulgar and cruel that may be. Obviously Harry has some serious grievances too, so he can take revenge and also get paid a King's ransom. Two birds with one stone. Sad it has come to that.

Harry & Meghan's website Archewell congratulates Harry
https://archewell.com/news/congratulations-prince-harry/

"A huge congratulations to Prince Harry on the release of his memoir, Spare. As your team, we are proud to stand beside you, and celebrate you as the world finally hears your story in your words. Thank you for your courage, honesty, humor, and light. You’ve inspired us all.
With admiration,
Your staff and team at Archewell and The Private Office of The Duke & Duchess of Sussex"

Harry seems like he was the sort of kid who needed firm, consistent guidance from a parent who wasn’t afraid to lay down the law and be the bad guy. Some kids are resilient and will do ok with limited parental involvement - Harry wasn’t one of them. He needed a drill sergeant and Charles was an absent minded (and absent) poet.

I agree, Charles doesn't seem to have been the parent that Harry needed.
But i think that Diana (who after all also parented for 12 years) maybe also wasn't the one with the firm hand.

But then, everybody makes mistakes, and there comes a time when you have to accept that your parents made mistakes too, learn from those and live your own life.

Now Harry has gotten his story 'out', which was evidently important to him, i hope he can move on.
And imo moving on also involves not talking about his relatives or other people without their consent.

I feel bad most for Archie and Lilibet in all of this. Harry and Meghan are now estranged or have no relationship with all 4 sides of their family: Windsor, Spencer, Markkles, and Raglands (aside from Doria). They are missing out on alot, not building memories, lot and not having any other grandparents around, aunts & uncles, or any cousins they are probably pretty lonely I imagine and after a while just two of them probably get bored. I can imagine why Archie wants his "space" sometimes as Harry said.

Last edited:
But i think that Diana (who after all also parented for 12 years) maybe also wasn't the one with the firm hand.

But then, everybody makes mistakes, and there comes a time when you have to accept that your parents made mistakes too, learn from those and live your own life.

Now Harry has gotten his story 'out', which was evidently important to him, i hope he can move on.
And imo moving on also involves not talking about his relatives or other people without their consent.

I'm listening to Harry's account to travelling to the south pole. It is fascinating.

Lee-Z.
Thanks for posting. Doubling down I see.
As if the Oprah Interview wasn't bad enough. I would just like to know what was "inspiring" ?

But then I'm still waiting to hear what " The Stakes were so high" WERE TOO ? The reason that Meghan and Harry HAD to do the the Netflix Docu-series.
Seeing that these self important egomaniacs save-capture texts and record AND RELEASE private moments and interactions, I wonder how many A Listers that haven't drunk the koolaid, might want to engage with them .

Because *if* you run afoul of them for something, The Sussex's go completely Scorched Earth for any perceived slight.

I still think that their 15 minutes of fame peters out this year. And where will they be then ?

By the way, Did Harry EVER read up on his grandfather Philip's lonely, sad and VERY challenging childhood ? Short of money, both Parents physically and emotionally GONE and shunted back between relatives households during the Holidays and School Breaks.

Last edited:
So there's now an article from the Mail stating that Harry wrote that his memory is faulty and "curates as it sees fit" but that his memory has just as much truth as "so-called objective facts." Seriously? Make it make sense, folks. The mental gymnastics required here...whew. Just because your brain and memory tell you something is true or that it happened just as you believe it did does not, in and of itself, mean that it's true. In fact, some would argue that believing your own thoughts/memories but admitting that they're faulty might actually be the very definition of delusion.
Yes, he does those mental gymnastics to explain away any inconsistencies in his memoir. It's in the prologue - I have the ebook on Google Play and it's showing as pg 16 for me.

To quote the full paragraph:

Whatever the cause, my memory is my memory, it does what it does, gathers and curates as it sees fit, and there’s just as much truth in what I remember and how I remember it as there is in so-called objective facts. Things like chronology and cause-and-effect are often just fables we tell ourselves about the past. The past is never dead. It’s not even past. When I discovered that quotation not long ago on BrainyQuote.com, I was thunderstruck. I thought, Who the fook is Faulkner? And how's he related to us Windsors?
He really seems to have embraced the whole "my truth is my truth" mantra of the millennial/Gen Zers. There is no challenging someone who believes that their own recollection/feelings/ trauma is paramount to all else. There isn't any willingness to recognize that the truth is subjective.

I've managed to get through the first section and I'm struck by the idea that Harry very much doesn't have much use for logic and, while Faulkner is one of the great writers of the 20th century, Harry could do with studying some of the great philosophers of ages past, but especially the Enlightenment/Age of Reason.

Last edited:
Now he's talking about Cressida Bonas, whom he met in his late 20s. They dated, mostly on the weekends, for two years before the press found out. He credits her with helping him cry for the first time since his mother's burial when he was 12.

Alas, Cressida wasn't interesting in the royal life, and they weren't a match anyway.

Now he's talking about Cressida Bonas, whom he met in his late 20s. They dated, mostly on the weekends, for two years before the press found out. He credits her with helping him cry for the first time since his mother's burial when he was 12.

Alas, Cressida wasn't interesting in the royal life, and they weren't a match anyway.

It's at least good to hear he also has positive words for some people in his past :flowers:

I remember, after the Oprah interview, the Sussexes indicated they had said their piece and were ready to move on.
Perhaps that’s just my own curated memory.

Yes, he does those mental gymnastics to explain away any inconsistencies in his memoir. It's in the prologue - I have the ebook on Google Play and it's showing as pg for me.

Oh my. Well...this is certainly...something.

I haven't been a Sussex supporter since they separated from the RF. However, being an avid Stephen Colbert fan I did catch the Prince Harry interview and thoroughly enjoyed it. Harry wanted to tell his story and good for him. Now it's time to move forward, no more trashing the royal family.

I am a strong supporter of the BRF. There are two sides to every story and truth like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Time to move on.

Truth is NOT in the eye of the beholder. Truth is not "my truth" and "their truth". There is actual , factual truth. And then there are hallucinations, false memories, and outright lies.

Quote by Sunnystar:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
So there's now an article from the Mail stating that Harry wrote that his memory is faulty and "curates as it sees fit" but that his memory has just as much truth as "so-called objective facts." Seriously? Make it make sense, folks. The mental gymnastics required here...whew. Just because your brain and memory tell you something is true or that it happened just as you believe it did does not, in and of itself, mean that it's true. In fact, some would argue that believing your own thoughts/memories but admitting that they're faulty might actually be the very definition of delusion.
Yes, he does those mental gymnastics to explain away any inconsistencies in his memoir. It's in the prologue - I have the ebook on Google Play and it's showing as pg 16 for me.

Quote:
Whatever the cause, my memory is my memory, it does what it does, gathers and curates as it sees fit, and there’s just as much truth in what I remember and how I remember it as there is in so-called objective facts. Things like chronology and cause-and-effect are often just fables we tell ourselves about the past. The past is never dead. It’s not even past. When I discovered that quotation not long ago on BrainyQuote.com, I was thunderstruck. I thought, Who the fook is Faulkner? And how's he related to us Windsors?
He really seems to have embraced the whole "my truth is my truth" mantra of the millennial/Gen Zers. There is no challenging someone who believes that their own recollection/feelings/ trauma is paramount to all else. There isn't any willingness to recognize that the truth is subjective.

I've managed to get through the first section and I'm struck by the idea that Harry very much doesn't have much use for logic and, while Faulkner is one of the great writers of the 20th century, Harry could do with studying some of the great philosophers of ages past, but especially the Enlightenment/Age of Reason.

----------

What kind of mind-blubber is that?!?

He is basically admitting that everything he says is not only potentially wrong, but that a considerable part of it probably is wrong, because his memory is pretty cloudy as well! But it's okay because his, no doubt vividly colored, memories are just as valid as any hard facts...

What kind of silly-weed has he been smoking?!?
This book is no longer non-fiction. It's fiction by own admission.

I'm right now sitting 538 km from London (I just checked) and I can actually hear the BRF layers laugh!

I think that Charles probably was not strict enough with either of his sons and did not pay them enough attention too.. but I think if he had been a strict fussing father, Harry would have been annoyed about that and we would be told how harsh Charles was to his litlte boy... who had lost his mother. And given his hostility to William, we would probably be told that Charles favoured Will because he was the heir and he treated Harry really badly while making a pet of William

Last edited:

I think Diana would have been no better than Charles in disciplining him. There’s a short line in the book when Harry is talking to his therapist, and they discuss how his mother would “over - parent” him for a period of time, followed by a period of absence. It was interesting to me to hear Harry admit even in a throwaway line that he recognizes his mother had faults. And it does bring home that Diana loved the boys dearly, but her own life came first. Charles was the same. I don’t think either of them were capable or interested in the hard, thankless parts of parenting.

I still have some compassion for Harry, in that he’s not someone who had really solid parenting and turned his back on the skills he was taught. He was never taught some pretty fundamental skills to start with, including how to take responsibility for his own actions and how to deal with anger in a productive way. On the other hand, Charles wasn’t the worst parent in the world, and as an adult Harry has so many advantages and resources he could use if he really wanted to pull himself together. And he needs to learn, like a previous poster said, you can’t heal yourself by causing other people pain.

Why is he doing this? That's a very good question. I haven't got an answer for you, but I wish I knew!

Last edited:
Harry & Meghan's website Archewell congratulates Harry
https://archewell.com/news/congratulations-prince-harry/

"A huge congratulations to Prince Harry on the release of his memoir, Spare. As your team, we are proud to stand beside you, and celebrate you as the world finally hears your story in your words. Thank you for your courage, honesty, humor, and light. You’ve inspired us all.
With admiration,
Your staff and team at Archewell and The Private Office of The Duke & Duchess of Sussex"

So Meghan is congratulating Harry? Earlier it was said that they were now running the Foundation on their own.

Titles used by US citizens---not allowed , I thought, at least for her. ??????

Last edited:
Titles used by US citizens---not allowed , I thought, at least for her. ??????

There is nothing to stop US citizens from using titles if they wish to. The issue arises if a US citizen accepts a title from a foreign land, that will be a barrrier to their running for office.

I think Diana would have been no better than Charles in disciplining him. There’s a short line in the book when Harry is talking to his therapist, and they discuss how his mother would “over - parent” him for a period of time, followed by a period of absence. It was interesting to me to hear Harry admit even in a throwaway line that he recognizes his mother had faults. And it does bring home that Diana loved the boys dearly, but her own life came first. Charles was the same. I don’t think either of them were capable or interested in the hard, thankless parts of parenting.
but what does that mean? THe boys were at boarding school from a very young age. So of course Diana would not be there for them all the time. SHe would probably make a fuss of them for a time and then they'd go back to school or she wold be away working, or they would be spending time with their father.

but what does that mean? THe boys were at boarding school from a very young age. So of course Diana would not be there for them all the time. SHe would probably make a fuss of them for a time and then they'd go back to school or she wold be away working, or they would be spending time with their father.

But that's just the thing, isn't it? Being away at boarding school so early and for so long? William was a bit older, but Harry lost his beloved mother at such an early and formative age and then was shuttled off to boarding school where his own brother (like a lot of other older siblings) didn't pay attention to him.

I'm no fan of Harry any longer, especially after all of his indiscretions with this book, but I can see where there would be a large disconnect with his family because of how he was raised. It's also no wonder that he was ignorant of a lot of the RF history and protocol, since he was raised away from it so often.

But that's just the thing, isn't it? Being away at boarding school so early and for so long? William was a bit older, but Harry lost his beloved mother at such an early and formative age and then was shuttled off to boarding school where his own brother (like a lot of other older siblings) didn't pay attention to him.

I'm no fan of Harry any longer, especially after all of his indiscretions with this book, but I can see where there would be a large disconnect with his family because of how he was raised. It's also no wonder that he was ignorant of a lot of the RF history and protocol, since he was raised away from it so often.

He was already at Boarding school before Diana died, and he was not away from his family any more than any other young royal who was at boarding school at that time. He was sent to Eton to keep him with William, because it was an academic school and he wasn't really up to its standards but his family sent him there so that he would be near the queen at Windsor and his brother would be there. WIlliam was away from his home and family just as much as Harry was, but i guess he must have picked up a bit about his familys rules ad protocols since we dont hear of him saying he did not know he had to ask for permission to get married.
in addition, after Di's death, Charles took Harry away with him on a tour, missing a bit of school so that he could keep him close by for a time.

After all those publications, comments and discussions, which are never ending, the question for me still remains:

WHY WHY did he do all this? To relieve himself? Did a therapist advise him? Did Meghan advise him? Or is it just revenge? Or did he do it for money? So many questions I have.

He should have known that this book would be discussed worldwide on the media (something he always hated..) and should have been aware of all the really , what I call "trash TV" details being discussed and critizied.
Maybe he is just not intelligent or sensible or educted or clever enough...

I think he wants to destroy the British monarchy and all of what it is standing for. The traditions, for example the Colbert show, where they were mocking him and he was surely told about this before, the scene where Meghan exaggerated the bowing to the Queen.

He can do all this but not expecting that the royal family will discuss it with him and change. He is delusional about that.

Harry did it because he is used to a certain lifestyle that costs money to maintain. His wife aspires to that lifestyle.

He has to sing for his supper now. So goodbye Family and self-respect...hello millions.

I am more interested in what he will do to keep feeding the Beast and bringing in the $$ now that he has told everything anyone could ever want to know about him and the BRF including Haz's sex life.:eek:

What will/can he do for a (lucrative) encore is what should be keeping Harry and his handlers awake at night now.

Last edited:
He was already at Boarding school before Diana died, and he was not away from his family any more than any other young royal who was at boarding school at that time. He was sent to Eton to keep him with William, because it was an academic school and he wasn't really up to its standards but his family sent him there so that he would be near the queen at Windsor and his brother would be there. WIlliam was away from his home and family just as much as Harry was, but i guess he must have picked up a bit about his familys rules ad protocols since we dont hear of him saying he did not know he had to ask for permission to get married.
in addition, after Di's death, Charles took Harry away with him on a tour, missing a bit of school so that he could keep him close by for a time.

I'm not debating any of that. Just pointing out that no child is the same as any other and just because William was able to handle things doesn't mean that Harry could. In regards to maturity, a 15 year old is quite different from a 12 year old and William would have been raised as the heir with a different set of understandings and priorities. Harry might have needed a full time parent, and not an institution to raise him much of the time after his mother's death.

I think it means exactly that - brief periods of lots of attention and fussing in between longer periods of minimal contact.

I'm not debating any of that. Just pointing out that no child is the same as any other and just because William was able to handle things doesn't mean that Harry could. In regards to maturity, a 15 year old is quite different from a 12 year old and William would have been raised as the heir with a different set of understandings and priorities. Harry might have needed a full time parent, and not an institution to raise him much of the time after his mother's death.

Perhaps but he had been away at school for 4 years already when Diana died, and Charles did make an effort to give him some hands on attention soon after the death. I dont think, with the best will in the world that Charles could have become a full time parent then, and I am not sure if Phil and the queen who were getitng on in years problaby could not take on a 12 year old boy as a full time charge.

I have finished reading "Spare" and feel ready to share my thoughts. I took copious notes on my Kindle throughout the reading process.

First of all, as many have stated in other reviews, the book is well-crafted. J.R. Moehringer's gift for memoir is apparent. I do not want to state this as fact, but in my opinion, almost any moment in this book where any reflection on Harry's story and its themes and connection to others comes from Moehringer. This does sometimes lead to contradictions. For example, early in the book, Prince Harry makes it clear that he is not a literary person, which is also very widely known. He opens the book with a quote from Faulkner, but not because he'd ever heard of Faulkner- he merely pulled it from "Brainquotes.com" because he liked it. Yet, literary and classical allusions are peppered throughout the book. The owner of the Daily Mail is described as "the impossibly Dickensian-sounding Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere." A bodyguard who has a panic attack next to him in Afghanistan and begins talking about how he knew the deployment was a bad idea is described as "an unappreciated Cassandra" who Harry tells to "stuff a sock in it." At one point, Harry wonders if his newfound attachment to his beard is Freudian "security blanket" or Jungian "Beard as Mask." It stands out because most of the book is so inwardly focused, with very little thought about how others think or feel, and because Harry makes his lack of academic curiosity and accomplishment very plain in several places. I think most of this, as well as musings on how Einstein described light, had to come from Moehringer.

There's also a section where Harry shares how he felt about William getting married in Westminster Abbey. He was quite uncomfortable with the idea of William getting married in the place where they buried their mother, saying he couldn't help thinking about all the bodies buried in the place. He says "Everything in that building spoke of death . It wasn’t just the memories of Mummy’s funeral . More than three thousand bodies lay beneath us , behind us . They were buried under the pews , wedged into the walls . War heroes and poets , scientists and saints , the cream of the Commonwealth . Isaac Newton , Charles Dickens , Chaucer, plus thirteen kings and eighteen queens , they were all interred there . It was still so hard to think of Mummy in the realm of Death . Mummy , who’d danced with Travolta , who’d quarreled with Elton , who’d dazzled the Reagans — could she really be in the Great Beyond with the spirits of Newton and Chaucer ?" Later, when he visits a Mayan temple. he thinks of it as temple of death, a "Mayan Westminster Abbey." Yet, when the time comes for him to marry Meghan, Westminster Abbey is his first choice of venue and he feels slighted that they are denied it. I found it interesting that the contradiction is there and no real exploration of why. Additionally, the timeline in this section gets incredibly fuzzy. Harry describes frustration at the palace dragging their feet to confirm the details of when and where the wedding will take place. This is not supported by the historical record. Their engagement was announced November 27,2017. The wedding date and venue was announced just 18 days later. This does not seem like an unusual length of time to confirm something this logistically complex.

I found the first two sections more interesting and illuminating than the third, though the press has focused mostly on the gossip contained in the third section.

The first section deals with Harry's childhood and his reaction to Diana's death. It would be hard to read this section without some empathy for the 12 year old Harry, no matter how exasperated one is with 38 year old Harry. He's clearly lost, and he struggles to recognize when adults are trying to help him. For example, the history teacher at Ludgrove who he feels is bullying him for not understanding his family history actually comes off as extremely kind- even giving Harry a present of a ruler full of rulers- a ruler that had every King and Queen from the Norman Conquest all the way to his Granny. This section also contains the very jarring section about the matron who was not sexually arousing, which has been shared here already. It contains an additional note that wasn't unkind but was thoughtless, when it describes a teacher who uses a wheelchair as "confined to a wheelchair" and frames the story primarily around what a pain it was for the students to help him in and out of the classroom. Even if this what he thought as a young boy, one would hope that years of working with disabled veterans had taught him more about disability awareness then he shows here.

The second section deals with his time in the Army. I went into this section believing the media had been a bit unfair to Harry in characterizing the disclosure of his number of kills as a reckless threat to his own and national security. I walked away aligned with the military experts who have spoken out and deemed it unwise. There are a few reasons for this. One, Harry describes a training exercise and how he absorbed it here: "We were a Christian army, fighting a militia sympathetic to Muslims . Our mission : Evade the enemy, escape the forbidding terrain." I think framing anything having to do with that war as a Holy War of Christians v. Muslims was inappropriate, given the religious diversity of the United Kingdom and the fact that this was a very politically insensitive take. Second, he describes an evolution of the Taliban's tactics observed during his second tour. He says "They’d got better at hiding too. They could effortlessly melt into a village, blend into the civilian population, or vaporize into their network of tunnels. They didn’t run away—it was far more diffuse than that, more mystical." Even given his extensive descriptions of how permission to fire was granted, I think this leaves him far too open to accusations that some of those killed were civilians rather than militants. It may not be fair, but that is how it will be used as propaganda. Third, he describes the weapon he handled as something difficult for most people to handle but not him. He is very proud of his abilities here, and likens it to throwing darts at a pub. The follow up sentence describes the carnage by saying "That’s what the flechette was , in fact , a lethal burst of eighty 5 - inch tungsten darts . I remembered in Garmsir hearing about our forces having to pick pieces of Taliban guys out of trees after a direct hit from flechette." I would think that the description here would be easy to use as propaganda- both the part where he compares it to throwing darts, and the ease with which he relates how it ripped apart bodies.

The military section was probably the most engaging, but also left the most questions about Harry's state of mind.

The third section describes his major mental health challenges when he comes out of the military. He makes it clear that he has PTSD, but he also doesn't believe its onset was from his tour of duty. He believes the onset was Diana's death and frequently blames the press for triggering it. I have a lot of sympathy for what he went through here, while I think his outlook is very narrow and actually takes him away from relating to other soldiers as much as he might have. He seems to believe his PTSD experience is separate and unique from theirs and I think it has probably made it harder for him to find community and help.

Then he meets Meghan. It is extremely jarring to go from reading about this man who is an absolute mess one moment to a fully realized individual making clear eyed decisions about his future the next. You walk away believing that he's deified Meghan in ways similar to the ways he deified his mother and wondering if it was good for either of them. Their relationship moved at lighting speed- from instagram messages to text, to a first date, a second date the next night, and the immediate decision that they were in a relationship. You very much get the sense that he was beyond ready to be married and settled down and that when he decided Meghan was THE ONE any doubts were very quickly chased away and any person who cautioned him to go slowly and think through his plans was viewed as hostile to her and therefore to him.

He describes what happened to them within the family as a slow-rolling catastrophe, but the reader will be left wondering if it really was? It was fast, and the primary catalyst for how quickly things moved were the two of them. At one stage, Harry views nearly any bureaucratic delay as a deliberate obstacle to his happiness.

Finally, my biggest impression: if Harry was ever going to tell his story in a way that reflected back on his own actions, this was the chance. It was a book written over a period of years, with the help of an expert writer. It was 400 pages of his story. Yet, there is not a moment in this book where he looks at any of his own actions and says "I shouldn't have done that" or "I could have been kinder/better here" or "Maybe I should have asked my brother what he meant when he said that getting married this soon would be hard on me." He's incredibly angry, but since he can't allow himself to be angry at either Meghan or himself, it is almost all deflected onto his brother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom