Sandringham House

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But it makes no sense for William to take on the role, when Charles is both more experienced and the heir.

This may be plain supposition or I'm recalling bits and pieces of various tidbits I've read over the years but I do think that Charles has already been instrumental in various aspects regarding the management of different estates such as the gardens at BP and has probably been discussing how things should be for years with Philip. In this respect, Philip would be handing over the management of the Sandringham estates to his right hand man.

This isn't like handing down to the heir the family jewels or paintings or something that is an honorific position but is mostly a responsibility. I will put it at the same level as the DoE grooming Edward to eventually take over the Duke of Edinburgh Award organization (along with the Duke of Edinburgh title eventually).

This position for William has probably never even crossed the minds of the House of Windsor for even a fleeting moment. This is a family that makes its decisions very carefully with a lot of planning and foresight to the future. They don't do things on a whim or hand things out like Halloween candy. Another aspect to look at with Philip handing over the management of Sandringham to Charles is that it is yet another indication that the reality of Charles becoming the monarch is approaching sooner than far off in the future and the ducks are being lined up in a row. It is dealing with the realities of life and I think, not only prepares the family to transition into Charles' reign easier but also helps them accept easier the passing of their beloved parents, grandparents and great grandparents.

William has no estates to manage. Charles includes him in meetings for the Duchy of Cornwall but that's at Charles's pleasure and not up to William.

Something to think about however is, when Charles becomes King he will have those responsibilities AS WELL as the ones handled by his father the DOE. HM has had the DOE to share responsibilities but what about Charles? Is he to handle both the responsibilities of the King as well as the management of the estates. I would think that would be a hefty portion on his plate.

I'd imagine that Sandringham house and grounds look very scenic and festive at the moment given the wintry weather over the UK!

Something to think about however is, when Charles becomes King he will have those responsibilities AS WELL as the ones handled by his father the DOE. HM has had the DOE to share responsibilities but what about Charles? Is he to handle both the responsibilities of the King as well as the management of the estates. I would think that would be a hefty portion on his plate.

I would think that after years of managing Highgrove and the Duchy of Cornwall, Charles has established a staff of experienced and trusted people that will handle different aspects of what is needed. As time passes, perhaps he will consult with William. Its prudent to also remember that William lives on and is part of the Sandringham estate already. Another nice little duck put in an orderly row eh?

I would think that after years of managing Highgrove and the Duchy of Cornwall, Charles has established a staff of experienced and trusted people that will handle different aspects of what is needed. As time passes, perhaps he will consult with William. Its prudent to also remember that William lives on and is part of the Sandringham estate already. Another nice little duck put in an orderly row eh?

I agree. When I first heard the news I thought that it was too much to ask Charles to do, bearing in mind the management of the estates was something the monarch's consort did and not something he had to bother herself with, and it seemed to be imposing an onerous obligation onto Charles at a time when he is taking on more of his mother's duties as well as managing his own. However Charles does have that experienced staff who have worked with him for years and I am sure they could manage the estates quite adequately with minimal input from Charles.

I would really like to see William take more of an interest in the natural history of Britain like Charles has, but Charles thinks in the long term and I am confident that plans are in place to ensure that the estates don't suffer if William doesn't wish to involve himself in more than a cursory fashion. You are either a gardener at heart or you are not. I am a gardener but my husband is not. It doesn't make him a bad person. :lol:

Traditionally when there is a King the King handles all of the King stuff as well as managing the estates. The Queen has had Philip handle those duties but her father and grandfather had managed the estates when they were king so this is a move back to what the situation was in the earlier reigns.

The Queen Consort handles more of the entertaining stuff - which The Queen has handled during her reign - approving menus etc.

Maybe she will include Camilla in the planning for the next couple of State Visits so she is ready to take over those responsibilities when the time comes.

William and Kate, hopefully will have another 30 or so years before they have to take up those responsibilities.

:previous: Makes sense. HM, despite being monarch, still allowed her husband to be head of the family, and she did the "womanly/wifely" stuff inside the house and left the man of the house to look after the outside, and now there's to be a man in charge things are going to revert to the "proper" order. :rolleyes:

But Charles does enjoy the outdoors and he will do a good job of managing the estates, and with a bit of luck William might develop an interest in them too. I have a feeling Camilla will do a splendid job of organising the house-managing stuff, and I'm sure she'll have plenty of help available when she needs to do it.

William has been attending the meetings of the Duchy of Cornwall for several years now.He probably has been schooled by his father and grandfather in estate management since he was a youngster.

Since the Cambridges will be spending lots of time in Norfolk. Wills can be Charles's man on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Appleton Water Tower on the Sandringham Estate and was built in 1877 to supply the family with water after the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII, and his eldest son, fell ill with typhoid - caused by drinking dirty water.

History behind landmark on Sandringham Estate to feature on Channel 4 programme - News - Eastern Daily Press

And didn't that happening change the course of History...Makes you wonder, huh?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

^ I didn't think it was the Duke of Clarence who fell ill from typhoid. I thought Eddie died from pneumonia, a complication of influenza? I believe his brother the Duke of York had typhoid shortly before his brother's death and was recuperating from it when Clarence died.

Last edited:
At different times they both had it.

Eddie had it in 1877, George in 1892. Their father had it in 1871, and of course his father may have died of it in 1861.

The Prince of Wales recuperated at Sandringham after his bout of typhoid in 1871. He had been given a fright and for a time his womanising disappeared. He grew close again to Alex.

Alexandra wrote to her sister in law Louise from Sandringham about her joy at being spared widowhood.

'Oh dearest Louise, you who knew what I suffered and saw my utter despair and misery - you would hardly know me now in my happiness. We are never apart and are enjoying our second honeymoon. Never, never can I thank God enough for all His mercy when He listened to my prayers and gave me back my life's happiness.'

Sadly, the 'second honeymoon' didn't last.

If Bertie HAD died in 1871 I suppose Eddie would have been made Prince of Wales in the later 1870's. If Eddie hadn't died we might have experienced a King Albert Victor I on the British throne in 1901.

Last edited:
Yes, I come from Norfolk and have been to Sandringham many times. The church and gardens are lovely, the House is a bit of a Victorian monstrosity, but all of it is well worth a visit I think.

All of these royal estates have factors and professional estate managers looking after the day-to-day. As for the planning and taking the long view, Charles' knowledge of animal husbandry, horticulture, dendrology, arable farming etc. is pretty formidable at this point and I think he's quite well-equipped to take on these responsibilities.

The question in my mind is, will his well-established views on organic farming, GM crops and non-mechanical farming methods (horses instead of tractors) cause friction with the factors and farmers who are entrusted to make money for the estates while keeping a lid on costs?

Charles may well ask William or maybe even Harry to take on some of the roles to do with the Estates.

A number of newspapers/magazines have stated he is living at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate. How permanent this is no one really knows, certainly he has been to Windsor on and off as we have seen him at carriage riding things etc but I get the impression he now uses Wood Farm as his "base".

Wonder why he choose the cottage which hasn't been lived in for sometime when he has use of the big house ?

A number of newspapers/magazines have stated he is living at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate. How permanent this is no one really knows, certainly he has been to Windsor on and off as we have seen him at carriage riding things etc but I get the impression he now uses Wood Farm as his "base".

I would say he might spend some time at Windsor on occasion. Still, I don't think he has returned to Buckingham Palace since his official retirement.

Wonder why he choose the cottage which hasn't been lived in for sometime when he has use of the big house ?

1. I've read that he wants to get away from the "fuss" of lots of staff etc - a more simple life.

2. Sandringham House is open to the public and makes good income for the estate.

The big house is open to the public for most of the year - other than the two months when the Queen is in residence and the one weekend when Charles is their for the Sandringham Garden Show.

If Philip was to live in the big house permanently they wouldn't be able to open it for most of the year which would cut into their income and it would cost a lot more money to keep it operational for one man.

Wood Farm is smaller and easier to maintain. It is also where The Queen stays if she arrives a few days before the annual closing of the big house for her Christmas/New Year break - just as she stays at a smaller home at Balmoral if she arrives there before the closing of the castle to the general public.

If Philip was to live in the big house permanently they wouldn't be able to open it for most of the year which would cut into their income and it would cost a lot more money to keep it operational for one man.

On the other hand the costs of using the royal chopper certainly went up. :D I don't believe they drive him down to Windsor.

I think Philip always thought of living at Buckingham Palace as living "above the shop". Neither Philip or the Queen actually prefer BP as a residence from all I've gathered over the years.

As far as not living in the "big house", sometimes a place that is smaller and more contained is actually more comfortable. This isn't saying that Wood Farm is a small hovel, its anything but small. Both the Queen and Philip have used Wood Farm as their personal bolt hole over the years and its somewhere Philip likes to be.

I'd forgotten that Sandrigham House was open to the public ,explains why he choose the cottage.

Also. I remember reading somewhere, possibly the Daily Fail so take it with a pinch of salt, that the Queen knew if Philip was at BP or Windsor "in the thick of it" so to speak he would end up getting involved with things and thus not actually be retired from much. Whereas, at Wood Farm, he is away from any talk of "work".

I imagine Philip will go between Wood Farm and Windsor relatively frequently, especially when the family are there to visit as well, with trips to Balmoral when the Queen is there.

Back
Top Bottom