Saddest Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, but most of mine will be English, because I don't know about other royals.
The Princes in the Tower, Richard and Edward
Katharine of Aragon
Louis Charles (Louis XVII)
Caroline of Brunswick
Empress Maria Fedorovna
The Romanov children (OTMAA)
Princess Elizabeth of Hesse and Rhine, if there was ever a woman who deserved to be a saint it is her.
Prince John
George VI, I admit I want to read more about him but so far I can't help but to think how sad his life must have been when he had to take his brothers place and be King with his shyness and speaking impediment; must have been horrifying for him.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the Queen Mother who was a widow for 50 years.The same thing for Queen Victoria.

Even she was not a born royal or aristocrat,I feel pity for Duchess of Windsor who widowed and remained without any children or friends,her latest years were tragic

Even though she was a "snob",Princess Margaret had a sad life.Under all that she was unhappy.

The Former Empress Farah of Iran - her youngest child, Princess Leila Pahlavi died in 2001, and now, she had lost another child again, last January 2011, her third child, Prince Alireza Pahlavi, committed suicide. How tragic and very sad it is to loose not just one child, but two or more! :'(

I agree with Rhys. I have met a number of people in my life, and each had lost a child or children. There is no remedy against the pain and loss of a child, regardless of the age(s) of the child or children.

Thank you very much.

Princess Diana's story is very sad and tragic too. She was so unlucky in love, her marriage to Prince Charles didn't last for a long time, and worst of all, she died in a car accident. I really wish that the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton may last forever, in this way, Prince William will fulfill the broken dreams of his late mother.

I can't help but to feel sorry for Pricness Margaret as well; despite the fact that she seemed to just make a lot of bad decisions on her own. It might just be the romantic notion, but I think her life would have been better had she been allowed to marry Townsend.

Prince ali bin hussein sometimes you see sad in his eyes , maybe because his mother die in young age

Thank you very much.

Princess Diana's story is very sad and tragic too. She was so unlucky in love, her marriage to Prince Charles didn't last for a long time, and worst of all, she died in a car accident. I really wish that the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton may last forever, in this way, Prince William will fulfill the broken dreams of his late mother.
:sad: yes this story to is sad

Princess Victoria, daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, was a very sad case. She was believed to be the cleverest of their three daughers yet her mother had her living such a cloistered, subservient life to her that she is widely believed to have become a bitter, hypochondria prone spinster, outliving her mother by only ten years. Very little is known about her besides these facts.

There are so many royals who had sad lives that it is hard for me to single in on one who I think was saddest.
I do have a great deal of pity for Nicholas and Alix of Russia I can't imagine anything more horrific than watching the love of your life and all your children be murdered in front of you.

It is also so sad that the Grand Duchess Anastasia Romanov vanished at the young age of only 17.

One of the royals I've always felt sad for was Empress Maria Feodorovna. She became the Empress Dowager when Nikolai II became the Tsar, and allow new Empress Aleksandra Feodorovna to take precedence. That was not easy to do, especially when one believes that one's successor is not fit for the job. However, the worst part of Maria Feodorovna's fate was the knowledge that her children and most grandchildren were murdered. It is sad to outlive one's spouse, but devastating to outlive one's children and grandchildren. I can only imagine that her life after the revolution was not a very happy one.

Princess Victoria, daughter of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, was a very sad case. She was believed to be the cleverest of their three daughers yet her mother had her living such a cloistered, subservient life to her that she is widely believed to have become a bitter, hypochondria prone spinster, outliving her mother by only ten years. Very little is known about her besides these facts.

That's awful. I knew she was a spinster, but I thought she had lived much more happily :sad: I must also say that I am another who feels that Princess Margaret had a very sad life. It must have been terrible to find out that she was lied to about what would have happened if she had married Townsend.

Another sad case is Princess Marina. She lost her husband in WWII, and died of a brain tumour at only sixty-one. I wish she had reached a triple digit age like Elizabeth and Alice did :cry:

Last edited:
It's easy to forget all these stalwarts of the monarchy !
At least here on TRF we commemorate them in cyberspace...

Yes. The animated movie "Anastasia" (1997) is about her life. :D

I think we should separate royals with a sad life and those with a sad end.

The Tzar's children had an horrible and sad end, but can we say that they has a sad life? For me the only who had a sad life it was Tzarevich Alexei, because of haemophilia. But the girls had a good life, and a caring loving family.

A sad life had Prince John, the Lost Prince, brother of King George, uncle of Queen Elisabeth.
Also Princesse Alice of Greece had a sad life.
Louis XVI has a sad life and a sad end.

The Tzar's children had an horrible and sad end, but can we say that they has a sad life? For me the only who had a sad life it was Tzarevich Alexei, because of haemophilia. But the girls had a good life, and a caring loving family.

A sad life had Prince John, the Lost Prince, brother of King George, uncle of Queen Elisabeth.
Also Princesse Alice of Greece had a sad life.
Louis XVI has a sad life and a sad end.

Okay, Thank you very much! :flowers:

It is said that it was the Hope Diamond responsible for the miseries and misadventures of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Legend has it that the Hope Diamond has an evil curse on it.

Good point. This thread is about the saddest lives rather than the saddest deaths. That said, Marina had both. On top of what I mentioned in my last post, there was also her Family's exile from Greece. Her Cousin, Prince Philip has also had some tragic moments in his life, but at least he lives on at a grand old age.

Princess Stephanie of Monaco is very sad in love as well. The saddest ever is her affair with Daniel Ducruet, her true love. First, her father, Prince Rainier of Monaco, didn't agree with her relationship to Daniel Ducruet, but still she continued their marriage and they have 2 children. But she divorced him on 1996 upon discovering a photo of Daniel with a woman next to him. Then, Princess Stephanie had a relation with others, and they didn't last as well. As of now she still remains single :(

Princess Stephanie of Monaco is very sad in love as well. The saddest ever is her affair with Daniel Ducruet, her true love. First, her father, Prince Rainier of Monaco, didn't agree with her relationship to Daniel Ducruet, but still she continued their marriage and they have 2 children. But she divorced him on 1996 upon discovering a photo of Daniel with a woman next to him. Then, Princess Stephanie had a relation with others, and they didn't last as well. As of now she still remains single :(
yes very sad :sad:

Are there any Jordanian Royals who have sad lives, Burzg? If you know something, please share it here. Thanks! :flowers:

But she divorced him on 1996 upon discovering a photo of Daniel with a woman next to him. :(

I was not A photo with a woman NEXT to him! It was a whole magazine (Eva tre milla) full with pictures of Daniel having sex with another woman, outdoor, near a swimming pool, from the beginning to the end of the act! The absolute humiliation.
At this time the magazine was banned from Monaco and France, but the monegasque population was queing to pass the frontiere and buy the magazine in Italy.

I always admired Stephanie how she could after this, continue talking to Daniel.

It was even said at this time that the papz before selling the pictures to the magazine, they approached Prince Rainier, in order to sell them to him. But Prince Rainier refused because he never wanted Daniel and it was the occasion to get rid of him. :bang:

To go back to Stephanie, except Paul Belmondo, she had NEVER luck on love. She always picked the wrong persons who take profit on her.

Caroline was also unlucky, but we could not say that her love life was sad.

Last edited:
I was not A photo with a woman NEXT to him! It was a whole magazine (Eva tre milla) full with pictures of Daniel having sex with another woman, outdoor, near a swimming pool, from the beginning to the end of the act! The absolute humiliation.
At this time the magazine was banned from Monaco, but the monegask population was queing to pass the frontiere and buy the magazine in Italy.

A always admired Stephanie how she could after this, continue talking to Daniel.

It was even said at this time that the papz before selling the pictures to the magazine, they approached Prince Rainier, in order to sell them to him. But Prince Rainier refused because he never wanted Daniel and it was the occasion to get rid of him. :bang:

To go back to Stephanie, except Paul Belmondo, she had NEVER luck on love. She always picked the wrong persons who take profit on her.

Caroline was also unlucky, but we could not say that her love life was sad.

What??!! Really??? Hmmmm...Is that the reason why someone doesn't like Daniel at all? :ermm:

that's veyr poor for princess stephanie :(

:cry: poor lady

Pictshare

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom