Royals Converted to Other Denominations & Faiths

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: I've re-read my remarks Denville. And I never SAID it was the same.:ermm:

Only that one can call it conversion to change from that type of Christian belief practice to the other....it's very different.

Fundamentalist is not a branch of Christianity though. I think you mean converting from Catholicism to Protestantism.

Fundamentalist is simply a return to more traditional ways of worship. The ultra conservative Christian’s tend to be titled fundamentalist. It’s a reaction to the more liberal leanings in recent years of churches. There are fundamentalists from many denominations.

Even if saying changing denominations like catholic to Lutheran is conversion, fundamentalist is another issue. You can go from mainstream to fundamentalist all in the same denomination. Thinking your Baptist Church is too modern thinking you could find another Baptist church which is more traditional in how they preach.

:previous: I understand and agree with much of what you are saying, but Fundamentalism is most defined NOT the traditional form of Christian worship if we are going based upon the New Testiment and the Early Church Fathers....very far from it in fact.

Traditional early Christian worship included the use iconography, the efficacy of sacramemts and intercessory prayer. Since the average Christian was not literate and the New Testament was not put into book form until the 5th century at earliest, there was no insistence upon the Sola Scriptura which is the very basis of born again Fundamentalist worship and which is the type of Christianity i was referring to in my remarks. Not so called liberal Catholicism ( I am not sure i believe there is even a such thing) vs orthodox Catholicism.

New Testament fundamentalism is a a descendant of the 16th century Protestant Reformation and is a fairly modern form of worship.

Last edited:
But the law of Britain bars not only non-Protestants (it requires communion with the Church of England, but not necessarily membership), but in addition bars former Catholics (but not former members of any other church or religion) even if they have converted to Protestantism and are members of the Church of England, from being the monarch of the UK. It makes no sense that a member of the Church of England who is e.g. an ex-Buddhist is allowed to serve as monarch and appoint the leaders of that church, but not a member of the Church of England who is an ex-Catholic.

300 years ago, when the post Glorious Revolution legislation was made, the issue of a Buddhist or ex-Buddhist becoming monarch would not have arisen. The population of the country at that time was pretty much 100% Christian, with a very small number of Jews, and the issue was only about Catholicism and Protestantism.

If Prince Charles announced tomorrow that he wanted to convert to another denomination or religion, which in his case I suspect would be Greek Orthodoxy, I think the vast majority of people would say that it should be his personal choice ... but there'd have to be a load of civil and religious legislation, taking up a lot of Parliament and Synod's time to undo the status quo whereby the monarch is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, so I don't think it's going to happen until/unless the situation actually arises.

Interesting that Prince Philip, also technically Greek Orthodox before his marriage to the Queen, converted, but his cousin Queen Sofia didn't.

Interesting that Prince Philip, also technically Greek Orthodox before his marriage to the Queen, converted, but his cousin Queen Sofia didn't.

Sofía of Greece and Denmark did become Catholic soon after her wedding to Juan Carlos of Spain possibly to appeal to the Conservative Catholic Spain image of General Franco.

I don't think it would even be an issue in the Spain of 2020.

300 years ago, when the post Glorious Revolution legislation was made, the issue of a Buddhist or ex-Buddhist becoming monarch would not have arisen. The population of the country at that time was pretty much 100% Christian, with a very small number of Jews, and the issue was only about Catholicism and Protestantism.

But as of 7 years ago, when the new legislation was passed, the country had ceased to be only Catholic and Protestant. :flowers: Nonetheless, the government consciously made the decision to continue prohibiting ex-Catholics but not ex-Buddhists.

The recently widowed Renée de France,daughter of Louis XII returned to France in September 1560 and embraced Calvinism and established it at her court at Montargis. Despite several attempts by the queen regent,Catherine de Médicis to force Renée to abjure she refused but the 2 remained on good terms.

Renée's cousin,the Queen of Navarre, Jeanne d'Albret followed suit and converted to Calvinism on Christmas Day 1560,which brought her into a life long struggle with Catherine de Médicis. Renée de France & Jeanne d'Albret did not enjoy a good relationship,partly due to fact that Renée's daughter Anne d'Este was marred to the ultra Catholic,Duc de Guise!

Another high ranking convert to Calvinism was Isabeau d'Albret,Viscountess of Rohan herself a daughter of Catherine Ier of Navarre and aunt to Jeanne d'Albret.

Last edited:

If Prince Charles announced tomorrow that he wanted to convert to another denomination or religion, which in his case I suspect would be Greek Orthodoxy, I think the vast majority of people would say that it should be his personal choice ... but there'd have to be a load of civil and religious legislation, taking up a lot of Parliament and Synod's time to undo the status quo whereby the monarch is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, so I don't think it's going to happen until/unless the situation actually arises.

I believe that now that Phlip is older, he has taken to going to Orthodox services at times...Agree about the issue of the religion of the monarch. Of curse it would never have occurred to the political classes or masses back in 1689 that there would be a possible Buddhist king of England (Or a Jewish one come to that). The issue was Catholic V Protestant and there was a vehement prejudice against Roman Catholicism. It was seen as a form of Christianity which was associated with tyranny and foreignness, particularly with France. The PTB wanted to ensure that the monarch could not be a RC or marry one.. because prevous queens had been Catholics and might be an influence on their husbands or children

Elizabeth Charlotte, the daughter of Karl Ludwig, Elector Palatine and Charlotte (of Hesse-Cassel), Electress Palatine converted from Protestantism to Catholicism when she married, Philippe, Duke of Orleans in 1671.

Elizabeth Charlotte, the daughter of Karl Ludwig, Elector Palatine and Charlotte (of Hesse-Cassel), Electress Palatine converted from Protestantism to Catholicism when she married, Philippe, Duke of Orleans in 1671.

Her aunt Anne Gonzaga,Princess Palatine plaid a major role there and also helped convert her husband Edward Prince of the Palatinate from Calvinism to Catholicism bringing him into open conflict with his ultra Protestant mother,Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia.

Of curse it would never have occurred to the political classes or masses back in 1689 that there would be a possible Buddhist king of England (Or a Jewish one come to that). The issue was Catholic V Protestant [...]

What is surprising to me is not that it didn't occur to the political classes in 1689, but that it didn't occur to the political classes in 2013 (or that it did occur to them but they nevertheless chose the route they did).

Her aunt Anne Gonzaga,Princess Palatine plaid a major role there and also helped convert her husband Edward Prince of the Palatinate from Calvinism to Catholicism bringing him into open conflict with his ultra Protestant mother,Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia.

Edward was the older brother of Sophie of Hannover mother of George I. If Edward had not converted, he would have inherited his mother’s claim to the throne of GB, not Sophie and her son. He had three daughters. They made catholic marriages but if their father hadn’t converted that likely would not be the case.

I had forgotten that Sophie was his sister!

Edward and Anna had no sons but had three daughters ,they lived comfortably in Paris at the same time Henrietta Maria of France and her family were in exile at St-Germain-en-Laye.

Edward was the older brother of Sophie of Hannover mother of George I. If Edward had not converted, he would have inherited his mother’s claim to the throne of GB, not Sophie and her son. He had three daughters. They made catholic marriages but if their father hadn’t converted that likely would not be the case.
I doubt the forceful Anna Gonzaga would have allowed her daughters to be raised Protestant, even if their father hadn't converted. Because she had the money in the family not to mention the support of the Catholic King of France her wishes would have prevailed. Besides, Edward had already died by the time Anna arranged their daughters' marriages. One son-in-law John Frederick Duke of Brunswick-Callenberg (a Catholic convert himself) was the older brother of Sophia's husband Ernest Augustus and the marriage threatened Ernest's inheritance. Fortunately for Ernest and Sophia, John Frederick and his wife had only daughters.

The marriage of Anne Gonzaga de Clèves-Nevers & Edward Prince Palatine was a strange match,Edwards family were ultra Protestant and Anne's ultra French Catholic.It may have been more of a financial match as Edwards family were penniless.

Anne was also a senior lady in waiting to the French queen ,Marie-Therese of Austria.

Yes, Edward was a penniless younger son from a penniless family. Anne - who was nearly eight years older - had money but a bad reputation (she'd been the mistress of the Duke of Guise).

Marriage to Edward gave Anne the opportunity to rehabilitate herself. Poverty aside he was eminently suitable: a young, handsome prince, whose aunt by marriage Queen Henrietta Maria was a member of the French royal family.

Edward's very public conversion earned her points at the French court and she went on to become a potent political force. She even managed to snare Henry Prince of Conde & First Prince of the Blood as a son-in-law.

As one historian stated, Edward never stood a chance. "To give a sense of what Edward was up against, the most powerful man in the kingdom, Cardinal Mazarin, would later take on Anna de Gonzaga - and lose."

Source: Nancy Goldstein, Daughters of the Winter Queen (2018), p.213

Last edited:
Anna's mother,Catherine de Lorraine was the the daughter of Charles II,Duke of Mayenne an ardent French Catholic Royalist member of the Holy League which was formed to fight the then Huguenot Henri III of Navarre .Charles II mother was Anne d'Este herself the daughter of a French Princess and committed Huguenot Renée de France!

Renée de France,Duchess de Chartres, Countess de Gisors and Dame de Montargis.

332px-Clouet_Renata_Ferrara.JPG

Anne d'Este,Duchess de Guise and later Duchess de Mayenne
336px-Catherine_de_Lorraine.jpg

Catherine de Mayenne-Lorraine-Guise

Catherine_de_Lorraine%2C_duchess_of_Mantua.JPG

Catherine de Bourbon,only sister and sibling of Henri IV was baptized Roman Catholic ,her godmother being Catherine de Médicis who she was also named in honour of.
However the Princess was later raised Protestant when her mother ,Jeanne III formally converted to Calvinism .Viperou attempts by both Catherine de Médicis and later by Henri IV to force the Princess abjure failed and Catherine remained as steadfast as her late mother the queen of Navarre.

Catherine de Bourbon,duchesse d'Albret (1559-1604)

Catherine_de_Bourbon2.jpg

Princess Shams Pahlavi older sister of the last Shah converted to Catholicism from Islam in the 1940's and her husband and children also followed suit afterwards.

This must have caused quite a scandal at the time and made her trips home to Iran very difficult.

:previous: Indeed. In many Muslim countries converting from Islam to Christianity will earn you a death sentence.:ermm:

And her entire family too its must have caused a huge division in her family and friends at the time.

Daughter of a Shah and sister of a Shah I'm sure they experienced a really tough time.

Which daughter of the Shah? Shahnaz?

His mother,Princess Cecilia of Sweden also converted to Catholicism from Lutheranism in 1577.
It may not have been strange for Cecilia to became a Catholic, as her mother Margareta Eriksdotter (Leijonhufvud) had remained a Catholic throughout her life, even if she was married to a Lutheran king. It did take about 60 - 70 years for Sweden to go from being Catholic to become entirely Lutheran.
https://www.kungligaslotten.se/regentlangd/margareta-eriksdotter-leijonhufvud.html

Though Cecilla's conversion came long after her mothers death in 1551 and is believed to have taken place in the late 1570's.

Back
Top Bottom