Queen Rania's working visit to the US: May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is it just me or this is the first time she wore that much open top, comparing to her previous tops!!

King Abdullah, Queen Rania honored with Peacemaker Award

New York, May 8 (Petra)-- Their Majesties King Abdullah II and Queen Rania Al-Abdullah were recognized by Seeds of Peace, Monday, for their commitment to promoting world peace. As Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah accepted the award on their behalf, she asserted that, "It is time to drop the rhetoric of fear, and launch a conversation of the heart - one that builds on common values, as fellow citizens of an ever-shrinking world."

. . . "My husband and I are determined to do our part," stressed Her Majesty.

Past recipients of the John Wallach Peacemaker Award have included His Majesty the late King Hussein, who was a great supporter of the organization's effort, former US President Bill Clinton, and former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Egyptian First Lady Suzanne Mubarak. Petra

Petra Photo

Seeds of Peace President Nicolla Hewitt (L), Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan (C), and former US senator George Mitchell pose for photographers before entering a gala dinner for Seeds of Peace in New York 07 May 2007. Queen Rania received the John Wallach Peacemaker Award from Seeds of Peace, an international organization that develops young leaders from conflict zones to work towards conflict resolution. AFP PHOTO/NICHOLAS ROBERTS Image Gallery - Click Here

Thanks for all the photos, Humera.

Last week, Queen Rania of Jordon and Actress, Natalie Portman publicly announced a plan to triple the assets of Finca International, one of the pioneers of microfinancing
LINK

Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan arrives to attend the "100 Most Influential People In The World" gala hosted by Time Magazine in New York May 8, 2007: Pictures from yahoo news

Last edited:
Humera said:
I dont know if its the pictures or her brown makeup but Queen Rania is looking quite tanned these days.
I thought that as well, it might be the colours she's been wearing that have emphasised this (lots of browns, beiges etc.). I don't think she would have had time for any sort of holiday beforehand as her schedule was quite hectic.

nylonluva said:
some hq links to rania pics...during the interview with meritith viera..: enjoy:
Thank you very much :flowers: .
Gettyimages has more picture from yesterday, too.

Photo by Charles Sykes / Rex Features Queen Rania of Jordan 'Poiret: King of Fashion' Costume Institute Gala at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, America - 07 May 2007 (IBL)
Picture 1
Picture 2

Time magazine names Queen Rania as Time Power Giver

Time Magazine has named Her Majesty Queen Rania among the world's top 14 Time Power Givers for 2007.

This is the first year that the magazine, which for the past six decades has published a yearly list of the 100 most influential people, has adopted the new category.

The magazine says Queen Rania was recognised for her work with the Jordan River Foundation, through which she "has helped address income disparities in Jordan." MENA FN

Petra Photo

Brief article:
Rania al-Abdullah - Power Givers | TIME

Main website:
The People Who Shape Our World - The TIME 100 | TIME

Last edited:
Humera said:
Time magazine names Queen Rania as Time Power Giver

Time Magazine has named Her Majesty Queen Rania among the world's top 14 Time Power Givers for 2007.

This is the first year that the magazine, which for the past six decades has published a yearly list of the 100 most influential people, has adopted the new category.

The magazine says Queen Rania was recognised for her work with the Jordan River Foundation, through which she "has helped address income disparities in Jordan." MENA FN

Petra Photo

Brief article:
Rania al-Abdullah - Power Givers | TIME

Main website:
The People Who Shape Our World - The TIME 100 | TIME
Thanks for the links Humera, the one person who I'd love to see on this list is Abdul Sattar Edhi, his contributions have been so great.

im really glad time chose rania. she really is a queen of the world, and in all the photos she seems to make people comfortable and at ease.

I liked her Seeds of Peace outfit - very flattering fit and style.

But I really disliked her Met outfit (strange fit, and too severe headband/hair style) and even more so her Time gala outfit, which I thought made her look shapeless and was a bad color for her.

Yes, she's looking amazing..If I can afford, I'd always wear those clothing...but I'm just a poor student:sad:
( by the way, I love the smilies in that forum...)

Seeds Of Peace

a few unseen pics from the gala:

May 7, 2007: Violinist Jihad Akl, Ted Koppel and Queen Rania Al-Abdullah attending the Seeds of Peace Annual Gala Dinner honoring Her Majesty Queen Rania Al-Abdullah of Jordan with the John Wallach Peacemaker Award held at The Pierre Hotel in New York City. Ted Koppel will also be honored for his outstanding contribution journalism. Seeds of Peace is an international organization dedicated develop and empower young leaders from regions of conflict work towards peace through coexistence and conflict resolution.
Photo

Violinist Jihad Akl performing at the Seeds of Peace Annual Gala Dinner.
Photo

Queen Rania and Ted Koppel

Image Gallery - Click Here

Last edited:
working visit:eek: :eek:
sorry but exept the Scholarships to Jordanian Students I did'nt find anything serious in this trip, all I saw is party,Cocktail Party,gala,pics with a celebrity and walking in the red carpet like model:rolleyes:
with all respet I have to say that I have a filling that she isn't queen but model or celebrity who looks for fame.

shrifia said:
working visit:eek: :eek:
sorry but exept the Scholarships to Jordanian Students I did'nt find anything serious in this trip, all I saw is party,Cocktail Party,gala,pics with a celebrity and walking in the red carpet like model:rolleyes:
with all respet I have to say that I have a filling that she isn't queen but model or celebrity who looks for fame.
I can only assume you didn't look through the thread properly as plenty of members have provided in-depth articles and information about her visit. Including her visit to MIT, her work with FINCA, the collection of her peace prize (shared of course) and her visit to the KSG at Harvard.

I think that's unfair shrifia, especially when different members have gone through the trouble of posting so many articles, news stories, and pictures from all the events invovling QR during this visit.

You seem to ignore several of the events from first part of the visit, besides the scholarships:

May 2 - FINCA/village banking
May 3 - Harvard/Jordanian scholarships
May 4 - Harvard/JFK Forum
May 5 - Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

The gala events took place during the last two days of the visit
May 7 - Seeds of Peace (QR was there to receive the Peacemaker award for her husband and herself) and Met gala
May 8 - TIME 100 (the reception was attended by almost everyone named in the list which included Queen Rania)

If it weren't for Petra we probably wouldn't even know of Queen Rania's "less glamourous" engagements during this visit (the MIT vist, for example, wasn't covered by any other agency)
It is only natural that you'll find more pictures of the events that involve celebrities, they're the ones the news agencies, American in particular, cover best.

Last edited:
Busy schedule in New York what was intresting is that hardly anything was covered in arabic newspapers nor in english based newspapers in Qatar, Saudi nor the UAE of events, except for a few magazines that are based in Lebanon. What is also intresting is that hardly any of her events are covered even the ones that do take place in Jordan.

why was Rania attending the " Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute Gala "? I personally dont find it right for a queen to attend something like that, i harldy see other Queens attending. I ifnd it more of an event for celebrities etc unless there is a different purpose that i am not aware off?

Royals attend fashion shows, movie premiers, and galas involving celebs all the time. And there's nothing forbidding QR to attend an event apart from her official calendar. She did request to be let in through the service entrance. Sounds to me like she was as discrete as she could be in the circumstances.
We have a very recent example of Queen Elizabeth attending the Kentucky Derby during her state visit to the US, as an avid horse enthusiast it was an event she made a point of attending, more than anything, for her own personal enjoyement. Rania was attending the Met Gala in a personal capacity (which is why it wasn't covered by Petra).

I dont speak for arabic language newspapers, but these are only some of the
English language sites (based in the ME and elsewhere) that covered the visit (you'll find more on google, including several Israeli/jewish papers):

Middle East North Africa Financial Network
Asharq Alawsat, UK (edited/directed by Saudis, has websites in Arabic and English)
AME Info, United Arab Emirates
Middle East Times, Egypt

Last edited:
It used to be that the Met's Costume Institute Gala has been held to raise awareness of the Costume Institute as well as to raise money as well as interest in possibly donating to the museum. But that was a few years ago when I stilled lived in NYC. I do know that they have a new exhibit that opened May 9th on Poiret who was a important designer for the West.

These types of events can be used to establish ties and contacts. The board members of the Met as well as directors and board members from other museums attend Galas and other events like this. It's a chance to met people face to face and perhaps establish a positive relationship. The better the relations and the more good will there is, the more it could benefit Jordanian museum that might wish to get things loaned from the Met. Just a thought.

rania is a very stylish lady, most of the time I like what she weras

Peru's most distinguished economist, Hernando De Soto, was among the key speakers at an event held by the Foundation for International Community Assistance (FINCA International) in New York City.
LINK

Back
Top Bottom