Queen Rania's Success In Initiatives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think Queen Rania has been successful in the various initiatives she has taken?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

madonna23

Courtier
Since we had this question about King Abdullah, I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think of Queen Rania's success both in Jordan and the Middle East. Do you guys think her support of the Jordan River Foundation, International Children's Vaccination Fund, etc. have had a effect in the world? What about the situation of women's and children's rights in Jordan?

Let's limit our discussion to only the INITIATIVES that the Queen has undertaken. Please leave off the comments about her image, clothes, etc. We've had enough of that in the other threads and for this I think we should talk solely about the political and humanitarian work she has done.

:flower:

Originally posted by madonna23@May 17th, 2004 - 4:11 pm
Let's limit our discussion to only the INITIATIVES that the Queen has undertaken. Please leave off the comments about her image, clothes, etc. We've had enough of that in the other threads and for this I think we should talk solely about the political and humanitarian work she has done.

:flower:
I hope this doesn't tread on the exact things you do not want commented on or discussed, but my personal sentiment is that I think that sometimes (often?) Queen Rania's positive contributions and helpful initiatives are overshadowed by other aspects of her, including her clothing, fashion sense, and spending habits, etc.

Maybe because she is young and beautiful, her good works are relegated to the back seat when it comes to (western) media attention in favour of more superficial subjects. Maybe instead of the (western) press focusing on Queen Rania's charitable works they focus on superficial things because (westerners) find that easier to relate to because perhaps not as many (westerners) understand the dynamics, politics, inner workings, etc. of Middle Eastern culture.

I would like to know what's the point of this poll?

It's dishonest and unreal to try and isolate this woman's so-called intiatives from the rest of her life and background. What genuine motives did she have in undertaking these initiatives? I hear she has a small army of publicists and advisers and did these have a hand in deciding what causes and foundations she would become a chairman or spokesperson for? In fact, I suspect she relied completely on people like this to make her look "serious". Maybe if she had left off the ton of makeup and the Gucci shopping on Via Veneto it would be a credible start. She seems completely one-dimensional and fake to me at the moment. Maybe in 20 years time if she actually grows as a human being with experience but I somehow doubt it in her case. She has Superficial written all over her.

That's exactly why discussing even her sex life and the clothes are more meaningful. Even those are more real elements than all these dreamed up causes of hers. Please!

I realize that it may be difficult for us to separate the "image" from the substance but that is only because we are choosing to view her from a Western perspective. The purpose of this poll is to look at her from the average Jordanian's perspective. Do you think, for example, her recent protest against terrorism was successful - did it change opinions in Jordan and the MIddle EAst? Do you think, for example, that her support of child abuse centers have been successful in helping abused children? If we look at her from that perspective, I think we can ignore her image.

Originally posted by madonna23@May 18th, 2004 - 2:11 pm
I realize that it may be difficult for us to separate the "image" from the substance but that is only because we are choosing to view her from a Western perspective. The purpose of this poll is to look at her from the average Jordanian's perspective. Do you think, for example, her recent protest against terrorism was successful - did it change opinions in Jordan and the MIddle EAst? Do you think, for example, that her support of child abuse centers have been successful in helping abused children? If we look at her from that perspective, I think we can ignore her image.
I don't think QR has had much success with her initiatives. She seems great at initiating schemes and generating publicity at launch time, but so far her initiatives have had scant results.

In her defense, though, many of the changes she's trying to effect are very long term. Since she has only been a queen a little over five years, it's premature to judge those.

Still, it'd be nice to see some of the quicker fixes handled. It seems a shame to me that honor crimes persist. QR is in a position to do more about that.

Her name brings the attention these inititatives deserve at least. I don't really follow them after there is write up in the press.

This poll does not work due to software changes, so please disregard the numbers and votes at the top -- it is no reflection of actual member sentiments.

But by member request, I thought that at least the discussion could be carried on.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

I dont follow all of Rania's initiatives but I think so far the Madrasti initiative has been doing very well and moving very fast. Rania also seems to be doing follow ups on them.

I think she does a great job of bringing attention to her initiatives. I would say most of her initiatives have only had minor success though. However, I think a large part of this is because the type of change she is trying to effect is frankly not going to happen overnight. Perhaps, in 5-10 years down the line, or longer we can judge her better. I do agree the Madrasti initiative seems to have been going well so far though.

Personally, as far as her 'image' clothing and such is concerned. I personally see it in positive light. I don't know why people always assume spending money on designer clothing and humanitarian work can't go hand in hand. Yes, if its excessive maybe, and perhaps in the Queen's case it might be. However, in my own personal case I spend everyday genuinely trying to improve people's lives - yet I also enjoy buying designer things and presenting myself in an elegant manner. Obviously, I'm not spending as much as the Queen and am not a political figure but the two sides of a person can completely co-exist. Why is it a crime to get enjoyment out of dressing yourself? If you really do spend most of your days trying to improve other people's lives?

And from a Muslim American standpoint - I think Queen Rania's image helps draw more attention to her causes. Frankly, if she wore hijab and wasn't glamorous (which has absolutely nothing wrong with and is commendable) many people would not know who she is and pay no attention to her. In many ways, her dress sense while extravagant in some strange way makes her more relatable to westerners. I personally know, people who got interested in her initially because she was beautiful, elegant, well spoken, and fantastically dressed. As a result many started listening to her speeches, interviews and youtube videos about trying to breakdown arabic sterotypes. Many people feel they've learned a lot from her. So, while I understand Jordanians might be upset she spends so much time abroad and not paying as much attention to their causes as they'd like, she has been a fairly substantial influence as a Muslim Woman in many other parts of the world.

Compated to many other Arab royal women her dress sense isn't at all extravagant imo.

I think the Madrasati inititative as well as the Jordan River Foundation and Injaz have been the Queen's major successes although there are other campaigns that I am interested in. For example I'm looking forward to seeing how the "1Goal" campaign pans out especially once the South African World Cup has taken place.

I think she does a great job of bringing attention to her initiatives. I would say most of her initiatives have only had minor success though. However, I think a large part of this is because the type of change she is trying to effect is frankly not going to happen overnight. Perhaps, in 5-10 years down the line, or longer we can judge her better. I do agree the Madrasti initiative seems to have been going well so far though.

Personally, as far as her 'image' clothing and such is concerned. I personally see it in positive light. I don't know why people always assume spending money on designer clothing and humanitarian work can't go hand in hand. Yes, if its excessive maybe, and perhaps in the Queen's case it might be. However, in my own personal case I spend everyday genuinely trying to improve people's lives - yet I also enjoy buying designer things and presenting myself in an elegant manner. Obviously, I'm not spending as much as the Queen and am not a political figure but the two sides of a person can completely co-exist. Why is it a crime to get enjoyment out of dressing yourself? If you really do spend most of your days trying to improve other people's lives?

And from a Muslim American standpoint - I think Queen Rania's image helps draw more attention to her causes. Frankly, if she wore hijab and wasn't glamorous (which has absolutely nothing wrong with and is commendable) many people would not know who she is and pay no attention to her. In many ways, her dress sense while extravagant in some strange way makes her more relatable to westerners. I personally know, people who got interested in her initially because she was beautiful, elegant, well spoken, and fantastically dressed. As a result many started listening to her speeches, interviews and youtube videos about trying to breakdown arabic sterotypes. Many people feel they've learned a lot from her. So, while I understand Jordanians might be upset she spends so much time abroad and not paying as much attention to their causes as they'd like, she has been a fairly substantial influence as a Muslim Woman in many other parts of the world.

-Well about the spending issue, I'm pretty sure if she was a queen of a rich arab country (saudi-arabia, Quatar..) she won't be critisized about it.
Princess haya & shrikha Moza for example, wear more expensive clothes & I don't think they have been critisized about it, at least not in this forum!! But for Jordan, they heavily rely on foreign aid (USA, some of the rich arab countries..) so that's why it's a fuss..
-She is active Yes I agree but if she does do as much as she yaps about, jordan would be 'better''..just my opinion...

Sheikh Mohammed may be wealthy but there are plenty of very poor people in the UAE/Dubai. Many of the immigrant workers live in squalid conditions and are treated horrendously by their Arab employers. Qatar has a similar problem, they are happy to shower wealth on the Arab population but the Asian population is mistreated and very poor.

To claim that there are no poor people in Dubai and Qatar is simply untrue.

Lets remember that this is not a comparing thread on how much Rania spends, this is a thread on how successful her initiatives are.
Please lets all stay on topic.

Last edited:
Is trying to brilliant success of the initiatives

And I hope to achieve more for a better life for all Jordanians

Efforts are being made clear in this area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom