Queen Mary, consort of George V (1867-1953)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I very much agree that Eugenie looks much like the Queen Mother. Middle age Andrew strongly resembles Queen Mary (Teck). The pics are pretty interesting.

I've always thought Anne resembled her mother and aunt...who take after the Windsor side I'd guess you'd say..I see more of the Windsor in the Queen than her mother.

LaRae

I’m with you Pranter. I also see a strong resemblance between Princess Anne and Countess of Harewood. I even think Prince William has her eyes

I Some people assumed that the Queen had an affair with him that resulted in Andrew's birth. There really is no substance to that rumor. They remained close friends until his death in 2001. The Queen attended his funeral. Something she rarely does.

Yes I thought that, but the stable man, makes it sound like he was a groom. And I think it is rather disrespectful.
Anyway this is all going OT...

I wonder how Queen Mary would have approached Meghan, her great-great-granddaughter-in-law?

:previous: Likely not well. Mary grew up and lived in a very different time. Her disapproval of Wallis was well-known. She was opposed to divorce. She would have also had the traditional views of actresses back then.

Back in her days, a prince could keep a 'actress' as a mistress, but she wasn't wife material. Her own husband didn't, but her father in law was well known for his affairs with women like Alice Keppel (Camilla's great-grandmother) and actress Lillie Langtry.

If Queen Mary was living in the 21st century she would have adapted, and greeted and welcomed Meghan as Charles and Camilla have done. Wallis Simpson, that other American divorcee, was unsuitable for all sorts of reasons. And she would have lived through the divorces of Margaret, Charles, Andrew and Anne.

Last edited:
:previous: We don't know what Mary would have been like had she been born a few decades later, to be alive in the 21st century. Because who she was and her opinions were shaped by the time she was born in.

You cant say for sure she would have approved of Meghan. Or that she would have approved of any divorce among her great-grandchildren. She may have lived through their divorces, but that wouldn't mean she would approve at all. Or accept them into her life. She loved Edward dearly, but she never accepted Wallis. I am not sure she would have accepted Camilla, no matter how much she may love Charles.

For Mary it wasn't about all the other reasons she was unsuitable. Mary was religious, and divorce was wrong for her. She grew up in a time when a husband had affairs, and women looked the other way, and you stayed together. She would likely have expected Charles and Diana to remain married, and chastised Diana for not turning a blind eye.

Charles and Camilla grew up in a different time then Mary. They would also have been total hypocrites not to accept Meghan, considering their own divorce status. I don't get bringing them into a comparison.

Quite agree COuntess, If Q Mary had been born later, and lived to today's world, she would possibly have had very differnet upbringing and her opinions might have been different. Or she might have been very strict minded still, disapproved of divorce etc. She might have tolerated say her grandchildren divorcing... but not liked it. I cant imagine her in today's world and I think she would have been very dubious about an actress marrying intot he RF.

66 years ago today, Queen Mary woke up in the reign of the 6th British monarch of her lifetime.

Yes when I saw this video I saw the Queen, Andrew and a little Charles.

LaRae

Queen Mary attended "Shop Window" Fair.

On May 26 Queen Mary celebrated her eightieth birthday.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite’s, sure to get this book. Thanks eya!!

Reactions: eya
Queen Mary early hollow chalkware figurine

This early hollow chalk ware of Queen Mary in her coronation attire stands 12.5" tall. There is some damage.
My reason for posting is to find a new owner that is interested in acquiring/restoring the figure.I was in contact with a knowledgeably collector of Royalty, he stated he has never seen another example.

Please reply if interested.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 90
Peter Quennell's book on James Pope Hennessy

I am wanting to read the book "In Quest of Queen Mary" by Hugo Vickers, which I understand is an edited version of James Pope Hennessy's notes he took when writing his book on Queen Mary. Someone mentioned in one of the Amazon reviews that a book by Peter Quennell in 1980 on James Pope Hennessy was really good. The statement from the review is "The best of JP-H's stuff was published by Peter Quennell in 1980." Does anyone know which book this is? The only book I have come up with is "Lonely Business: A Self-Portrait of James Pope Hennessy" , but it is from 1981 and not 1980. Also it is about JPH and not about his "stuff" which I would assume to be his work or notes.

Last edited:
I am wanting to read the book "In Quest of Queen Mary" by Hugo Vickers, which I understand is an edited version of James Pope Hennessy's notes he took when writing his book on Queen Mary. Someone mentioned in one of the Amazon reviews that a book by Peter Quennell in 1980 on James Pope Hennessy was really good. The statement from the review is "The best of JP-H's stuff was published by Peter Quennell in 1980." Does anyone know which book this is? The only book I have come up with is "Lonely Business: A Self-Portrait of James Pope Hennessy" , but it is from 1981 and not 1980. Also it is about JPH and not about his "stuff" which I would assume to be his work or notes.

I’m about halfway through “Quest” and so far I’ve really enjoyed it. You get a sense for the writer and the “off duty”side of many of the royals. It’s very good!

I’m about halfway through “Quest” and so far I’ve really enjoyed it. You get a sense for the writer and the “off duty”side of many of the royals. It’s very good!

Thanks. I look forward to reading it.

James Pope-Hennessy interviewed the Duke of Windsor in France for his official biography of Queen Mary and his visit is chronicled in the new book The Quest for Queen Mary.

Some interesting comments about Queen Mary from this article (link):

‘My mother (Queen Mary) loathed the country,’ he said. ‘She used to say to me: “I was born in Kensington and I am a Londoner.” She hated Sandringham; Balmoral was a bit better; but we were always there too long. Sandringham was dreadful.’
He added: ‘Off the record, my father (George V) had a most horrible temper. He was foully rude to my mother.

‘Why, I’ve often seen her leave the table because he was so rude to her, and we children would all follow her out; not when the staff were present, of course, but when we were alone.’
I remarked that I was puzzled by the shutting down of his mother’s high spirits after marriage.

‘Well, you’re right there, I think. My father was a very repressive influence. I well remember when he used to go banging away for a week or two at some shoot in the Midlands; we used to have the most lovely time with her alone — always laughing and joking.

‘She was a different human being away from him.’
He seized one of the two 1936 files and showed me various letters — until we reached one from Queen Mary, begging him not to broadcast (his abdication speech).

‘Surely you might spare yourself this strain and emotion,’ he read out. A look of real disgust crossed over his face.

‘She even tried that! Well, I ask you...if I hadn’t done that...’
I said: ‘I think one of Queen Mary’s chief difficulties in understanding your dilemma was the fact that she had never been in love herself.’

‘No, I don’t think she had,’ he said. ‘You’re right. My mother was a cold woman, a cold woman...'

Back
Top Bottom