Queen Margrethe's 70th Birthday Celebrations: March-June 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IS there a video where you can see the Queen greeting the guests???

Thank you Muhler and welcome to the board! Thank you for providing us with translations as a Dane yourself.

I especially thank you for your post above as there have been one or two posters here and at other message boards who think that CP Mary drew attention from the Queen to herself by kissing and hugging her husband!:lol: Some feel that it was just a personal moment between the Queen and CP Frederik and Mary's action was inappropriate!:ohmy: As if anyone can upstage the majestic and very regal Queen of Denmark!

I also do think that the attention was on Princess Mary's side when she hugged and kissed her husband after he gave his speech. You can guess from Frederik's facial expression that he was surprised as well. But, however, I also think that it was still a very nice and emotional gesture from Mary. She is his wife. Why shouldn't she congratulate her husband for his speech? I liked it.

Muhler, you've only just showed up on the board but I love you already! Thanks for the translating/summarizing you've done here and on the documentary in the other thread! :clap: I'm looking forward to reading your posts in the future. :welcome:

Here is a gallery from Billedbladet.dk - with my comments.

Billed-Bladet - Se diademerne glimte på den røde løber

Pic #1: Joachim and la Marie. Joachim is wearing the gala uniform of the army. His old regiment; Prinsens Livregiment, the oldest regiment in DK, has now been amalgamted into Jydske Dragon Regiment = Jutland Dragoons. - Being originally a heavy cavalry regiment it is now an armoured regiment.
This is for nerds: The uniform Joachim is seen wearing is the army gala uniform. It stems back from the start of the first Schleswigan war in 1848. - (Actually most of the Danish army back then wore red tunics with white trousers and white crossed bandoliers with a chako on the head. But as warfare and tactics were changing a less conspicous and more modern uniform, very much inspired by France, was introduced. And by the end of the war in 1851 all units wore the blue uniform).
The kepi on Joachim's head is a model 1911. (Kepis in the field were flattened in the front, so that the unit markings on top of the kepi was visible).
The uniform is very ornate and expensive, it's also tailor-made.
Joachim belongs to the infantry as you can tell from the white infantry stripe on his trousers. (In say the US army of that period, such a stripe would indicate that he is an NCO, but that was not the case in the Danish army).
Being a gentleman, Joachim naturally leads his lady by the right arm. - He has to, as the sabre is worn at the left side. ;)

#2: The Marie.

#3: Frederik with his wife correctly to his right. Mette-Marit is to his left.
He is in penquin gala.

#4: Mary, looking a but like a teenager with those red cheeks.

#5: Victoria and her Daniel. Victoria is here wearing the Order of The Elephant.

#6: The Greek royal couple. They are still addressed majesties in DK. Both wearing the Order of the Elephant. Even though King Konstantin has a peculiar way to wear his.

#7: Princess Benedikte.

#8: Alexia?

#9: One of the Berleburg Princesses with her fiancee. She is the pregnant one.

#10: Queen Margrethe. Looking pretty convincing as a Majesty, eh? :)

The waste in these celebrations is really distressing. A dinner would have been enough. If they had to pay it, the story would be different.

#9: One of the Berleburg Princesses with her fiancee. She is the pregnant one.

Princess Nathalie. :)

The waste in these celebrations is really distressing. A dinner would have been enough. If they had to pay it, the story would be different.

Celebrating her 70th?
Thats worth 3 days of celebrations in my mind.
And they did pay for it, or some of it. And I see no objections by the Danish people who are paying for some of it, do you? :)

Well, you're not paying for it so if the Danes don't mind spending the money on some celebrations for their queen, then so be it! I'm sure the DRF does pay for quite a bit of what they put on, while the state pays for the rest, but if there were truly any fiscal issues about it, I don't think they'd have done it.

Marie and Joachim
Profimedia
Profimedia
Profimedia
Benedikte and Richard
Profimedia
Count Christian of Rosenborg and Countess Anne Dorte
Profimedia
Beatrix, Anne-Marie and Constantine
Profimedia
Profimedia
Alexia
Profimedia
Gustav and Carina Axelsson
Profimedia
Profimedia
Count Ingolf of Rosenborg and Countess Sussie
Profimedia
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Grand Duke Henri
Profimedia
Harald
Profimedia

I know this is a delicate question - but - was Alexandra there too? I thought she has still a good relationship with her ex-mother in law?

I believe that Alexandra wasn´t invited

thanks mybags for the pic! I must say she looks lovely, I like this dress more than the previous one

I haven't seen HH Princess Elisabeth of Denmark. I don't believe she was on the guestlist either, unlike her brothers + families. Any idea why she was unable to come?

----------
The grand duchess of Luxembourg has some very nice jewels. I loved both tiara's that she worn during the celebrations.

-----------
Thank you for the summary of Frederik's speech, Muhler!

----------
Dutch royalty programme 'blauw bloed' has dedicated most of their show to the celebrations. Watch here http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=10863083 From 5.00-12.00 and from 19.00 to 28.00. The programme ends with clips from the state visit of Queen Margrethe to The Netherlands in the 70-ties. The prince of Orange commented that it was a pity that they were one day late, but he was happy that they were still able to participate in the rest of the celebrations. He says that Queen Margrethe II is a fantastic woman. The train ride from Utrecht to Copenhagen too 14 hours. Apparently there is no hi-speed connection from The Netherlands to Northern Germany & Denmark. According to royal blog, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg were travelling back in the Dutch train too.

Last edited:
Well, you're not paying for it so if the Danes don't mind spending the money on some celebrations for their queen, then so be it! I'm sure the DRF does pay for quite a bit of what they put on, while the state pays for the rest, but if there were truly any fiscal issues about it, I don't think they'd have done it.

The DRF pays for it? And who supports the DRF? The state is "the Danish and their taxes". If the danish are not complaining, it´s because they have a good living standard. This is how it works. If they had real economical or social problems, they would have complained long ago. In any case, a wealthy or not so wealthy country, I find ostentation quite obscene.

Well, the DRF can decide for themselves how they spend their income. If they want to throw a party they are free to do that. If they want to throw the complete income on the bottom of the North Sea, they are free to do that as well.

I haven't seen HH Princess Elisabeth of Denmark. I don't believe she was on the guestlist either, unlike her brothers + families. Any idea why she was unable to come?

She doesn't appear to be in the best of health since she was taken ill in January - Billed-Bladet - Prinsesse Elisabeth meldte afbud til Margrethe. She was invited, but on top of everything else, she has broken an arm.

She will celebrate her 75th birthday on 8th May.

According to royal blog, the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg were travelling back in the Dutch train too.

That's nice that the Dutch royals are helping their "neighbors" get home, too. I can almost imagine Beatrix after the parties were over: "Hey, anybody else going my direction who wants a ride?" ;)

Congratulations to Queen Margrethe on reaching a milestone birthday at 70 years. Tis a pity that cousin Princess Elizabeth was not able to attend and suffers from a broken arm, I wish her well. These gatherings are a good way for Daniel Westling to get to know the others and feel comfortable around them. All the Crown Princesses looked elegant and lovely and it is always exciting to see the beautiful jewels on display. Not a boring three days but an exciting time for all to catch up with one another. Denmark can be justifiably proud to have their own queen to represent them, especially a lady as accomplished as she is. In Australia our head of state is Queen Elizabeth II and she is mostly absent and we don't have such an intimate relationship with her as the Danes have with there queen.
Since Mary married into the Danish royal family it has been fascinating to observe their lifestyles through these forums. I find Celebrities boring , but royals are never that.

Well, the DRF can decide for themselves how they spend their income. If they want to throw a party they are free to do that. If they want to throw the complete income on the bottom of the North Sea, they are free to do that as well.

That was really disgusting and unnecessary. There are people starving out there. Have a little respect, please.
Of course, the DRF are free to throw the Danish people money to sea. In a certain way, they do.

Thanks so much Muhler for the summary! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Sure, from memory and in general.

Rather than writing a summary I'll instead write my impression of the speech.
It was a very warm speech by Frederik.
It was not a praise of the Queen, it was a praise of his mother. He talked about how he could understand now, how difficult it must have been for QMII to suddenly become a Monarch, despite having two small sons.
It's no secret that Frederik's childhood was not entirely happy and that he to a large extent felt neglected by his parents. - Who were busy, something he could now understand and relate to.
Nevertheless he also told about how QMII read aloud stories for them in the evening. Tolkien was read no less than three times! Aaand with all the voices, gestures, visualisations and drawings the Queen could add to the story. (*)
He talked about Frederik IX, QMII's father, and the very close bonds there were between father and daughter. He quoted his grandfather (morfar) for once having said to her: "Well done, my girl" and as a son he would repeat those words: "Well done".
It was a speech from the heart.
Delieved without the insecurity and stumbling over the words that so often is the case when Frederik is speaking.
It was also a speech based upon the reflections of a mature man.

No wonder Mary hugged him. I think she must have been very moved indeed. Especially as Mary in one of the documentaries about the DRF spoke how deep an emotional impression it made on her, when she saw a picture of a greif stricken QMII beign proclaimed Queen on the the balcony of Christiansborg in 1972.

(*) I wish I had her abillity to tell stories.

i was wondering if the Queen got a more intimate party just with her grandkids and very clos family?????

I've been away busy with work and missed out on all this splendor. Spent that last hour drooling over the magnificence of it all. The Danes sure know how to put on a show. Topping birthday! QMII was glorious on all nights.

That was really disgusting and unnecessary. There are people starving out there. Have a little respect, please.
Of course, the DRF are free to throw the Danish people money to sea. In a certain way, they do.
Yes, and they are unfortunately still starving when presidents travel the world with security that cost the budget of a minor state, when hugely costly military equipment is tested etc. etc. - and on a much smaller scale when a queen is celebrated. That's the way of the world.
But if it upsets you so much to see that the queen actually has the right of disposal of her own money - don't follow the events!

I don't think the distribution of wealth (or lack of it) throughout the world has anything to do with the celebrations of a monarch's 70th birthday. It is a political, economical, trade and banking issue, neither affected by nor related to a state occassion/celebration (monarchical or republican). The amount of aid distributions from countries such as Denmark can of course always benefit from being increased, but at least they are being made and Denmark does what it can to help out the various situations abroad. And so in this instance, a couple of days national celebrations once every ten years cannot be such a dreadful thing.

Did Queen Paola attend?

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto Town

Thats quite interesting. It was said that no Belgian or Spanish royals attended the events, but that looks exactly like Queen Paolo. It's a shame she didn't attend the evening events. :ermm:

I don't know how you can describe a comment as disgusting but oh well.
This is your opinion, and seeing as you don't live in Denmark I don't see what your problem is with the Danes celebrating their Queen's 70th birthday.
They have been no complaints from them, they seem to be living fine and not starving, so why complain for them?

I think the Danish just don´t care about this. It´s hard to believe ALL OF THEM are interested in such superficial matters. And please, do not tell me what to do, because I follow everything that happens in the world, even a war, as much as i hate it.

The comparison between a president´s security and this celebrations in quite naive, so i won´t comment any further.

I don´t intend to start a discussion, so please do not defend yourselves, this is not an attack. I have the right to say this is obscene as well as you have the right to take delight in events you can just watch from far away and only dream about. If i´m not entitled to express my opinion, then i´m in the wrong forum.

I never said a queen should not celebrate her birthday (if you read well); I never said starvation is a problem in Denmark (please do not assume things I didn´t write); I only said a dinner would have done it. And that this tour of celebrations was just OBSCENE.

And yes, a comment about throwing their incomes to the sea is offensive and disgusting. And i stick to my point.
Some people need to take their eyes out to the screen and see the real world. and grow up.

Thank you for the translation and excellent discussions. I am enjoying it very much. I must have missed the video/photo where CP Mary goes up to give CP a kiss. Can someone please attach the link? Thanks!

There's much more money squandered in the whole wide world than we ever will be aware of and perhaps the costs for this Birthday Celebrations would look like peanuts compared with it.

A 70th Birthday is a little milestone in ones life. When my grandfather turned 80 he celebrated it for 3 days as well. If the Danish Queen does the same and the Danes tolerate it, then I see absolutely no problem with it. With all due respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom