Princess Maria Laura of Belgium and William Isvy: 10 Sept 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder whose brilliant idea was that a pink background with wooden floor would look amazing for official wedding pictures. If I’m not mistaken the pictures were taken at the Royal Palace of Brussels, right?

Wedding Pictures of Princess Maria Laura and William

The official pictures were taken before the Wedding at the Cathedral. The place is unknown , it is not the Royal Palace
The pink background is awfull and the Habsbourg and the Isvy pictures completely wrong ,stiff and no smile.

It was not possible after because the train of the bride was completely wet !!!and put in a small d' Ieteren car. King Albert II and Queen Paola already left by a side Door.

Conclusion a happy Wedding , overhappy Mother in green dress and furs , but a terrible lack of pictures and no sound ! I expected better !

Last edited:
No Brother and sister of Archiduc Lorenz only Olympia Napoleon
Archduchess Rudolf and her daughter, and a Princess Galatzine
Princes Jean Guillaume and Felix of Luxembourg and wifes .
Princess Margaretha and Prince Niklaus of Liechtenstein.

:previous: Please review my remarks. I did not state or imply that ML is the most brilliant of her peers.

I said that she is SECOND TO NONE of them.

She is in a very select group of brainy accomplished young Royals and as far from a simpleton as can be imagined.

My bad. I interpreted second to none as she is the number one but you meant she is one among many number ones...

maria-olivia said:
No Brother and sister of Archiduc Lorenz only Olympia Napoleon

I think they were all there maria-Olivia. In the group photo you can see -a very chique looking- Archduchess Beatrice, Archduchess Isabella and her husband Count Czarnocki-Lucheschi and both brothers, Archdukes Gerhard and Martin. I could not identify their wives.

The Arco countesses were there as well, see this photo.

Last edited:
Was there ever any mention of the wedding music, in the end, or will that not be detailed?

I don't think there will be any mention of it at all.

I'm disappointed.
I dislike both her dresses. For me Maria Laura comes off as a simpleton (nothing wrong with that) so the Gucci dress and Vivienne Westwood seem completely out of character for her.

There was nothing unique or original about her dress. The lace and veil were absolutely stunning. However, I have seen Helena Bonham Carter wear that same style of dress for years now. Where was Vivienne's originality?

Also the official pictures? Surely they could have borrowed a more beautiful and picturesque room than this horrible Pepto Bismol pink room with a horrible brown carpet!

A simpleton fashion-wise?

A "simpleton"?! Have you read anything at all of this young woman's background and accomplishments? She is fluent in Mandarin Chinese for starters. Intellectually speaking, among her peers in Royal Europe she is second to none.

You can of course dislike her wedding style but the fact is that she is brilliant.

Maybe I misunderstood the context for the "simpleton" description.

I suspect so, but I can't be sure.

The official pictures were taken before the Wedding at the Cathedral. The place is unknown , it is not the Royal Palace
The pink background is awfull and the Habsbourg and the Isvy pictures completely wrong ,stiff and no smile.

It was not possible after because the train of the bride was completely wet !!!and put in a small d' Ieteren car. King Albert II and Queen Paola already left by a side Door.

Conclusion a happy Wedding , overhappy Mother in green dress and furs , but a terrible lack of pictures and no sound ! I expected better !

Honestly the civil wedding was better publicized than I expected. Suddenly also the time of the civil ceremony was known, which had been kept secret.
I'm not sure about the cathedral wedding, I don't know whether more pictures were to be expected.

All in all this wedding was a letdown to me - the gown fit its description and made the bride look like a statue and the official pictures are a failure. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Was the boyfriend of Luisa Maria present?

One question; did Astrid really want to invite Delphine and her family, or it’s just how it’s supposed to be. Cause I though Astrid wasn’t a big fan in having Delphine as a sister and seeing her at the wedding kinda surprised me.

Dress of the bride would be nice if they used a bit more cloth. She is soo tall and slim and with her hair piled high, it really looks much to short. IMHO, of course.

Honestly the civil wedding was better publicized than I expected. Suddenly also the time of the civil ceremony was known, which had been kept secret.
I'm not sure about the cathedral wedding, I don't know whether more pictures were to be expected.

All in all this wedding was a letdown to me - the gown fit its description and made the bride look like a statue and the official pictures are a failure. I'll pass.

I expected that with the civil Wedding. At such a public place you can't keep that secret. Probably photographers waited outside.

As for the religious Wedding i think we can blame the rain after the ceremony , probably everyone hurried to come away.

One question; did Astrid really want to invite Delphine and her family, or it’s just how it’s supposed to be. Cause I though Astrid wasn’t a big fan in having Delphine as a sister and seeing her at the wedding kinda surprised me.

Delphine has spoken openly about how her sister is a "very sweet person". She and her family looked perfectly comfortable at the wedding.

A "simpleton"?! Have you read anything at all of this young woman's background and accomplishments? She is fluent in Mandarin Chinese for starters. Intellectually speaking, among her peers in Royal Europe she is second to none.

You can of course dislike her wedding style but the fact is that she is brilliant.

Maybe I misunderstood the context for the "simpleton" description.
Yes you clearly misunderstood. I thought it was quite obvious that I was speaking of her fashion sense/style. Not her intelligence or intellectual abilities.

I apologize for any confusion.

Yes you clearly misunderstood. I thought it was quite obvious that I was speaking of her fashion sense/style. Not her intelligence or intellectual abilities.

"Simpleton" is not usually a word used to describe fashion sense or style, unless it's as "fashion simpleton" or something. Otherwise the more obvious meaning is intellectual.

It is time to drop the 'simpleton' discussion. The poster has made it clear what was meant so we can all move on now.

I might be alone in my opinion. But ML as a bride surpassed my expectations, especially when I read that Vivienne Westwood would create her bridal gown.(shudders. Not a fan):ermm:

The 1960's inspired A-line ecru mini dress was perfection and the princess has the legs for it. Nothing to add.

The Aosta Tiara was magnificent, much more impressive than the one worn by Mathilde. The veil was a work of art. The gown draped beautifully where it was supposed to drape. The train might have been a tad too long but it was designed to fill the scope of the rather large interior of the Cathedral of Sts Michel et Gudule. And if anyone was entitled to have a very long bridal train it was Her Imperial and Royal Highness Maria Laura Archduchess of Austria Este, Princess of Belgium, Bohemia and Hungary. ;):lol:

I wish she had a better makeup artist but maybe ML felt more comfortable with minimal makeup.

For me, the big letdowns were the adult bridesmaids. I didn't understand at all...pattern, color,style, headpieces were so unattractive especially compared to the little attendants who were enchanting in their gold costumes.

Why were some of the bridal party dressed in what looked like rose/beige print with different style headpieces and hints of green...while the others were dressed in gold? :sad:

Another big let down were the guests. I am sure they did their best with the gusts of wind and rain but...I didn't need to see Delphine's cleavage on full display. Dressing with taste seems to be an alien concept for this woman. She ALWAYS seems to get it wrong wherever she goes.

I was enormously disappointed with the Duchess of Brabant, normally so elegant. Her red baggy fringe dress with matching hat that she struggled to keep on her head was a sartorial low point for her. She looked like she was dressed for a Halloween party in some photos.

Thank goodness for Laurent's daughter Louise, she looked wonderful

I wish we had more details about the service itself, the readings, musical selections etc. Maybe we will be getting more later.

Hope the bride and groom enjoyed their big day and are relaxing on a tropical island honeymoon right now.;)

Last edited:
I agree about the attendants. To me, they looked like they came straight out of a stage play. Dramatically attired and there seemed to be no consistency. Rather like scrambled together at the last minute. Same goes for most of the guests.

The flowergirls and boys' gold attire reminded me of the similar attire at then-Crown Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz' wedding.

She may have an impressive lineage, but this wedding IMO is one to forget. It did not do her background justice.

I wish the new Mr and Mrs Isvy the best of luck and will leave it at that.

Last edited:
I might be alone in my opinion. But ML as a bride surpassed my expectations, especially when I read that Vivienne Westwood would create her bridal gown.(shudders. Not a fan):ermm:

The 1960's inspired A-line ecru mini dress was perfection and the princess has the legs for it. Nothing to add.

The Aosta Tiara was magnificent, much more impressive than the one worn by Mathilde. The veil was a work of art. The gown draped beautifully where it was supposed to drape. The train might have been a tad too long but it was designed to fill the scope of the rather large interior of the Cathedral of Sts Michel et Gudule. And if anyone was entitled to have a very long bridal train it was Her Imperial and Royal Highness Maria Laura Archduchess of Austria Este, Princess of Belgium, Bohemia and Hungary. ;):lol:

I wish she had a better makeup artist but maybe ML felt more comfortable with minimal makeup.

For me, the big letdowns were the adult bridesmaids. I didn't understand at all...pattern, color,style, headpieces were so unattractive especially compared to the little attendants who were enchanting in their gold costumes.

Why were some of the bridal party dressed in what looked like rose/beige print with different style headpieces and hints of green...while the others were dressed in gold? :sad:

Another big let down were the guests. I am sure they did their best with the gusts of wind and rain but...I didn't need to see Delphine's cleavage on full display. Dressing with taste seems to be an alien concept to this woman. She ALWAYS seems to get it wrong wherever she goes.

I was enormously disappointed with the Duchess of Brabant, normally so elegant. Her red baggy fringe dress with matching hat that she struggled to keep on her head was a sartorial low point for her. She looked like she was dressed for a Halloween party in some photos.

Thank goodness for Laurent's daughter Louise, she looked wonderful

I wish we had more details about the service itself, the readings, musical selections etc. Maybe we will be getting more later.

Hope the bride and groom enjoyed their big day and are relaxing on a tropical island honeymoon right now.;)

Yes, fashionwise I can understand your disappointment and criticism.
On the other hand I think that the Belgian royals are mostly discreet , only Mathilde and Philippe going to perform their public duties, Laurent is a disgrace, Astrid ist not so much in the public, and if she is it is always for a good cause. But in general she and Lorenz kept their children out of the public, protected them and took care that they had a private life, as much as possible.
Now, there is this very public marriage. They don't have that perfect PR machinery and background as other royals have (like the British or maybe the Spanish...)
I could imagine that Maria Laura would have preferred a more private event which in her position wasn't possible. So, they probably did the best they could.
Main thing is that she is happy with William and I wish them all the best for their future .

I honestly think this wedding confirms the fact that couturiers who are not famous for the craftsmanship and quality of their dress do fail in the realization of royal wedding dresses. The expertise of the seamstresses, the knowledge of how fabrics flow and and stay, how they reflect the light, how they wrinkle (if they do), it’s justo so much more than the mere dress.
Royal wedding dresses require a ton more quality and thoughtfulness than a celebrity red-carpet dress. The more I look at Maria Laura’s train as she walks down the aisle, the more it reminds me of a duvet. Very sad because I think she spent a lot of money on it.
But anyway she looks glad and satisfied.

I agree that the train was the worst part of her ensemble while the veil was of course a beauty.

Hmm. I think Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein's train was longer-or as long as ML's.

And unlike Maria-Laura, poor Astrid's beautiful gown did not fit well. She seemed to drown in it.:ohmy:

ETA: Beautiful gesture of the bridal couple regarding their wedding flowers.

Last edited:
I honestly think this wedding confirms the fact that couturiers who are not famous for the craftsmanship and quality of their dress do fail in the realization of royal wedding dresses. The expertise of the seamstresses, the knowledge of how fabrics flow and and stay, how they reflect the light, how they wrinkle (if they do), it’s justo so much more than the mere dress.
Royal wedding dresses require a ton more quality and thoughtfulness than a celebrity red-carpet dress. The more I look at Maria Laura’s train as she walks down the aisle, the more it reminds me of a duvet. Very sad because I think she spent a lot of money on it.
But anyway she looks glad and satisfied.

But the dress was designed by Vivienne Westwood, who is a famous designer. Years ago I saw a documentary about her and her husband/designer who has learned the job, how they are creating their fashion. She is old now, 80 or so? So, no guarantee for a beautiful dress by a famous designer. They should have been more sensible about the woman who will wear the dress, her frame, her looks...
And Maria Laura probably was involved beforehand, but she made the wrong choice or trusted Vivienne Westwood to do the right thing.

I actually like the dress, cos it's a bit different. But no fan of the train, it just look a bit weird.

I think they were all there maria-Olivia. In the group photo you can see -a very chique looking- Archduchess Beatrice, Archduchess Isabella and her husband Count Czarnocki-Lucheschi and both brothers, Archdukes Gerhard and Martin. I could not identify their wives.

The Arco countesses were there as well, see this photo.
Thanks for correcting !

The vale and the tiara look beautiful. The dress seems nice but isn't she very thin? Or it the picture? Her cleavage looks very "poor"
She looks the spitting image of her father with some reminders of her mother. The beautiful Paola genes did not arrive there.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

Hmm. I think Princess Marie-Astrid of Liechtenstein's train was longer-or as long as ML's.

And unlike Maria-Laura, poor Astrid's beautiful gown did not fit well. She seemed to drown in it.:ohmy:

Very true. But M-A’s dress fabric looked a bit thinner and turned into a mess as the bride moved. Those trains are very nice in concept, but then reality kicks in and it turns out looking like a giant curtain, mere senseless fabric slapped on the back of the bride to look more royal. More manageable discrete dresses, like Elisabetta’s by Valentino, still look royal but are nice to look at. The bigger is not always the better, IMHO.
Laura’s dress is very nice, but just looks weird. I like the upper part though, very unusual!

Princess Maria Laura had a 13 foot long wedding gown train.

Back
Top Bottom