Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 4: June 2005 - January 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$2.2 Million isn't a lot of money if its for Madeleine's whole life. I doubt she's paying her college tuition on her own and I'm sure Dad the King and Mom the Queen have Madeleine covered on anything major. Besides when she gets married, her husband will also probably have an income...not that she should depend on him or anything. Also, does Madeleine technically pay her own bills? such as car and rent out of the surplus?

soCal girl said:
$2.2 Million isn't a lot of money if its for Madeleine's whole life. I doubt she's paying her college tuition on her own and I'm sure Dad the King and Mom the Queen have Madeleine covered on anything major. Besides when she gets married, her husband will also probably have an income...not that she should depend on him or anything. Also, does Madeleine technically pay her own bills? such as car and rent out of the surplus?
Maybe it's not a lot of money in the US, but in Sweden $ 2.2 million is quite a lot, even thought it doesn't put her in the top of the rich list or anything like that, the amount is set to give her a comfortable life in Sweden.

There is no college/university tuitions in Sweden, so there's none to pay for her.

I have no idea about the bills, since she lives in an apartment at the Royal Mews... It could be that the Royal Court has it all covered, and the tenants might only pay for things like water and electricity. I think her car might be registered to the Royal Mews, and then the Royal Court coveres the fees. I'm not sure, but that's how they do a lot, so I would guess her car is also fixed like that.

The O.C. Fanatic said:
$2.2 million is not a lot of money. Knowing her status I would consider her broke. If that's all she's got then she needs to start buying K MART clothes. I'm just saying.
As I said above, maybe it's not a lot of money in the US, but in Sweden $ 2.2 million is quite a lot.

And if she does live out of her capital surplus (around $60 000) like I suspect, that allows her a very comfortable life. In Swedish money that amount is quite big, and she would qualify as a quite a big earner (far over the average income).

Well, I would say in the US 2.2 Mio $ are even more than in Sweden. At least you get much more for it (food, clothes, technical stuff, gas, houses...)
But you are right, that it´s a lot-at least for a "Sven Svensson", who would want to build an average family home at the countryside around Sthlm...and who would want to go on winter holiday and summer holidays abroad.
But it´s really not much for a princess, who goes shopping regularly at Gucci or who drives expensive SUVs (which annoys me-but that´s an other topic).
In the long run Madeleine has to choose one of the following possibilities:
a) to live on Pappa kungen´s apanage (which she could excuse through working for the crown)
b) to get more of Pappa kungen´s private fortune and/or to live for free in one of his apartments.
c) to live on her hubby´s money (with such a wife he would have no problems to get a nice job...e.g. in a law firm-when we take Jonas B. as possible hubby)
d) to start to work.
E.g. as designer for handbags or jewellery (even though my little self would watch such a development with horror)
e) to lower her lifestyle (IMO the best...but not very likely)

Last edited:
Lena said:
But you are right, that it´s a lot-at least for a "Sven Svensson", who would want to build an average family home at the countryside around Sthlm...and who would want to go on winter holiday and summer holidays abroad.
An average Swede cannot even dream of $ 2.2 million....

I think Princess Madeleine has it just fne financially, she's not on the top rich list in our country, but her fortune is larger than the normal Swede could ever dream of. And living of a capital surplus of around $60 000 is not peanuts, with that money she can live a comfortable life. I don't think she has to pay rent either since she lives at the Royal Mews, but merely water and electricity.

And one day when she wants to settle down and start a family, her fortune will allow her to buy a house in one of the better suburbs like Djursholm or Lindingö, but it could also be that she will get to live in one of the houses that are in the King's disposal, like Princess Christina who lives in Villa Beylon on the Ulriksdal Palace estate, which is rumoured to go to Crown Princess Victoria in the near future. The King has plenty of big villas like that around Drottningholm and the other palace's estates. So that could also be an option.

Princess Madeleine also has a few inheritances to get in the future, and those will only increase her wealth and well being.

"Princess Madeleine also has a few inheritances to get in the future, and those will only increase her wealth and well being."

Where will these inheritances come from? Other relatives and godparents i'm guessing? It's nice that you don't have to pay for college in Sweden. I know that they do that in other countries, but being from the U.S. its kind of a foreign concept to me.

Last edited:
It's time to close this thread and start another fresh one with news and pictures of Princess Madeleine. A big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I hope to see you in the next one!

The new current events thread (part 9) for Madeleine can be found here.

soCal girl said:
Where will these inheritances come from? Other relatives and godparents i'm guessing?
Well I really don't want to speculate much about inheritances as it means a loss of someone to this world, but yes - relatives close to her.

soCal girl said:
It's nice that you don't have to pay for college in Sweden. I know that they do that in other countries, but being from the U.S. its kind of a foreign concept to me.
It's very nice, and a basic cornerstone of our education system. Anyone who wants can study on a higher level since there are no fees. We also get money from the state to study (for books and such), and one can also take out a few more thousand and live on a student loan from the state.

Today Madeleine visited Gävle and Hudiksvall... Have anyone seen any photos yet?

this is the only pic I could find. But its tiny :)
from scanpix

Attachments

• gävle.jpg
    gävle.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,574
Last edited:
Today, 9 September, Princess Madeleine visited one of her duchies, Hälsingland, on the invitation of the County Governor, Christer Eirefelt, who was also her host during the day.

The visit started with a lunch at Gävle Castle, where she also learned about the building’s history, renovations, art and interior décor told by people from the County’s museum. After that the Princess left for Hudiksvall where she visited the Hälsingland Museum, where she received information about furniture and the current Irish exhibition. In the evening Princess Madeleine awarded her own scholarship and a rider’s award at a riding club in Hudiksvall.

So far there are not many pics, and no big ones, from this visit…. I hope we will see some tomorrow. The pictures are from the Hälsingland County Administrative Board’s website (in the first one, Princess Madeleine is posing with the County Governor and wife and her mentor Lena Ramel, who accompanied her on the trip).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 4,333
  • madeleine_liten.jpg
    madeleine_liten.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2,559
soCal girl said:
"It's nice that you don't have to pay for college in Sweden. I know that they do that in other countries, but being from the U.S. its kind of a foreign concept to me.
Same here in Australia, although we dont have to pay our tution fee (also known as HECS, a loan from the government which keeps increasing every year :() up front, but once we start working, we will have to pay it back through the tax system.

Princess Madeleine´s visit to Gävle was a short one, just one hour.
But she had time enough to eat perch and take a guide tour at the home of county govenor Christer Eirefelt.
Princess Madeleine is duchess of Gästrikland and Hälsingland and spent yesterday afternoon in the counties, on invitation by Christer Eirefelt.
At 1 pm the SÄPO cars arrived to the castle under supervision of a police car. There was a welcoming committee with representatives from the museeum and the county administrative board along with some "Gävlebor".
- She is a very sweet girl, says Gudrun Eirefelt before the cars shows up.

She met princess Madeleine last year, when she visited Hälsingland, and then continues telling us about the lunch meny; chanterelle soup made of muschrooms picked by chef Inger Dolk, perch, cucumber, carrots and potatoes and as dessert coffee and cake.
Madeleine had no time to talk to journalists but the photographers were allowed to take photos while she was greeted and when Ann Nielsen and Ingela Broström told her about the castle.

At 2.30 the Gävle visit was over and the cars drove of towards Hudiksvall and a programme that connected with the princess´ art and ethnology studies
In Hudiksvall a visit to the Hälsingland museeum and Hudiksvall riding- and pony clubs family day was on the agenda. Madeleine is interested in horses and she was there to hand out her own scholarship to Caroline Åkerlund and the prize for "Årets guldryttare" to Irene Slättengren before it was time to head back to Stockholm and the history studies.

from www.gd.se

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you yet again for more of your wonderful contributions Yennie. Thanks for the photographs and all the information about Princess Madeleine’s visit. :) :cool: ;)

Gita said:
Thank you yet again for more of your wonderful contributions Yennie. Thanks for the photographs and all the information about Princess Madeleine’s visit. :) :cool: ;)
You´re welcome Gita! I have fun when doing it :)
Hopefully there´ll be some more photos in a few days...

Article translated by me - from Arbetarbladet:

Hard to catch Duchess on quick visit in Gävle

In a stylish light beige suite – smiling and beautiful – Princess Madeleine turned up in Gävle yesterday. In two shining Volvo’s, the Princess - Duchess of Gästrikland and Hälsingland - and her entourage arrived at Gävle Castle.

It was a discreet visit – no royalist whirl, now waves to a cheering crowd. A visit that passed the Gävle inhabitants by unnoticed. The goal for the Princess’ visit was Gävle Castle. An informal lunch and a seminar about the building’s history were on the programme.

Tight schedule
But there seems to be a rush when the famous visit Gävle. Prime Minister Göran Persson stopped by about a week ago, and Princess Madeleine was only on display for a few minutes outside the castle, before she went into the building.

Taking pictures was okay, but no questions were allowed. The Princess has – despite the Duchess role – not said anything to the local media at her previous visits either. But it’s not because of any unwillingness from her side, Information Secretary Catherine Broms from the Royal Court assured.
- There is often little time at these visits. The time schedule is so pressed. Otherwise she gladly talks to journalists. Catherine Broms was hoping that it would be possible to arrange a little chat with the media at the next visit to Gävle.

There was only an attentive mother and her son whom had noticed the Princess visit. They snuck up to crown the family album with a picture of Princess Madeleine. When they in all their eagerness got to close the Princess with their camera, they were moved by a security man in a friendly but decisive way. The only action the security man had to take this time.

In the sunny but windy autumn weather, Princess Madeleine first got an outdoors lesson in the buildings exterior. She listened attentively and seemed to be involved in the facts she was told. It was curator Anna Nilsén and the building antiquarian Ingela Broström whom guided the Princess in the Castle’s history and architectonic finesses.

The “lesson” continued during the lunch, which consisted of a chanterelle soup, followed by oven baked perch with saffron crème and vegetables. The meal was finished off with cake and coffee. The chanterelles, the yellow kind, has been picked by the County Governor’s matron, Inger Dolk, the County Governor’s wife, Gudrun Eirefelt, whom had met the Princess before, told us.
- Nice, very nice, she said about the Princess visit.

Awarded scholarship
Gudrun Eirefelt’s impression of Madeleine was undivided positive.
- She is a very sweet, and very nice girl.

What does the Princess – as Duchess of Gästrikland and Hälsingland – mean for the County?
- Quite a lot, I think, Gurdrun Eirefelt said, without giving any deeper analysis.

The visit was described as a part of the Princess’ studies in art and ethnology.
- It is like talking to any student, Anna Nilsén said before the visit.

The next event on the schedule, after the visit to Gävle, was to award the Princess Madeleine Scholarship and a rider’s award. The scholarship went to Caroline Åkerlund from Hudiksvall and the rider’s award to Irene Slättengren från Vikingstad.

The original article (in Swedish) can be found here.

Attachments

• Gävle & Hudiksvall 9 sept 2005_5.jpg
    Gävle & Hudiksvall 9 sept 2005_5.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,526
  • Gävle & Hudiksvall 9 sept 2005_6.jpg
    Gävle & Hudiksvall 9 sept 2005_6.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,190
  • Gävle & Hudiksvall 9 sept 2005_7.jpg
    Gävle & Hudiksvall 9 sept 2005_7.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 4,508
Just want to know how many royal duties a year does PM perform exactly? Just wondering!!!

OH and good 2c that she's laying of the fake tan!!!! LESS IS MORE!!! She's learning!!!

Suit

I like Princess Madeleine's suit - it looks nice on her. :)

And here is she is at the awarding of the "H.R.H. Princess Madeleine Scholarship" in Hudiksvall. In this picture Princess Madeleine is posing with the recipients of her scholarship, Caroline Åkerlund and Lena Wiklund, and the recipient of the "Golden Rider of the Year" award, Irene Slättengren, jury member Per Schönnings and County Governor Christer Eirefelt.

Picture from Sundsvalls Tidning.

Attachments

• Gävle & Hudiksvall 9 sept 2005_9.jpg
    Gävle & Hudiksvall 9 sept 2005_9.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 3,810
Princess Madeleine looks so gorgeous on those pics..I think,so far, she's the most gorgeous princess I've seen..What I mean is, in my opinion, she's the prettiest among those princesses who were royal since birth..eg.daughter of the king and queen...Anyone, do you know whats the princess' height?..she looks tall..

Last edited:
Mahoogie said:
Princess Madeleine looks so gorgeous on those pics..I think,so far, she's the most gorgeous princess I've seen..What I mean is, in my opinion, she's the prettiest among those princesses who were royal since birth..eg.daughter of the king and queen...Anyone, do you know whats the princess' height?..she looks tall..

I agree with you, hundred percent!!She is beautiful!!!:eek: :D

The O.C. Fanatic said:
$2.2 million is not a lot of money. Knowing her status I would consider her broke. If that's all she's got then she needs to start buying K MART clothes. I'm just saying.

hehehe:D :D :D I don't think I will be seeing Princess Madeleine shopping at K-mart any time soon!:p

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislike the suit. It looks boring. In a way like my 2pm-milk-coffee. I would have criticised it at Victoria, so I will do the same with Madeleine. And to go on with fairness: that what the ponytail is for Vickan, that is free hanging blond dyed hair for Madeleine.
Trying to think of Madeleine´s style for official duties this year...I must say, that I would give this year the trophy for the most innovative and interesting dresser to Victoria (in spite of the white shoes, the glasses and the ponytail)

Thank you for all the pics and informations! :)

Haha its hard to please you Lena, isnt it :)

btw, is there any "reason" for changing the name of the thread? Is it the same as before with just a new name?

Yennie said:
Haha its hard to please you Lena, isnt it :)

btw, is there any "reason" for changing the name of the thread? Is it the same as before with just a new name?

I guess it´s changed, because that with "news & pictures" and "pictures" was a little confusing for newer members.

Yes, I am, Yennie. But you have never disappointed me :)
And I think, one, who gets that much praise (she looks great, fantastic, blabla) also needs some truth :D Well, that was mean...who knows, what the truth is.
Maybe Len is really the fashion-goddess ppl see in her...but please then don´t forget Vic, who has really TRIED hard this year (even though with some "relapses" included...and YES, I´ve commented more the relapses than the progress ;) sorry for that)

Lena said:
I guess it´s changed, because that with "news & pictures" and "pictures" was a little confusing for newer members.

Yes, I am, Yennie. But you have never disappointed me :)
And I think, one, who gets that much praise (she looks great, fantastic, blabla) also needs some truth :D Well, that was mean...who knows, what the truth is.
Maybe Len is really the fashion-goddess ppl see in her...but please then don´t forget Vic, who has really TRIED hard this year (even though with some "relapses" included...and YES, I´ve commented more the relapses than the progress ;) sorry for that)
aha I see. Yes perhaps its was a little confusing... I like "Current events", sounds nice
we all need to hear the truth sometimes :) And as long as it is not said in a offensive way, I dont think saying "that dress is ugly" "his hair look bad" etc is a problem. We all have different opinions and thats the whole idea with forums like this :)

From Face to FaceThey have maaaany but Ill just attach 10, seems we just got Victoria out of Beige and then her sister jumped right in to the one beige outfit after the other.

Attachments

• 00749086.jpg
    00749086.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 00749082.jpg
    00749082.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 522
  • 00749081.jpg
    00749081.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 621
  • 00749080.jpg
    00749080.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 275
  • 00749076.jpg
    00749076.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 3,436
  • 00749073.jpg
    00749073.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 00749071.jpg
    00749071.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 00749070.jpg
    00749070.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 00749077.jpg
    00749077.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 00749088.jpg
    00749088.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 481
Here are some of the pics from ImagineScandinavia saved (Part 1):
Stockholm, Sweden. 2005-09-11.
At today´s riding games at the Taby horse racing court outside Stockholm the highlights were H. M. the Queen`s Trophy and the H. M. the King´s Trophy. Both prizes were presented by Princess Madeleine of Sweden.

Attachments

• a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 260
  • a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 312
  • a9.jpg
    a9.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 225
  • a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3,238
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 285
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 250
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 231
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 214
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 181
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 257
Here are some of the pics from ImagineScandinavia saved (Part 2):

Attachments

• a12.jpg
    a12.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 258
  • a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 219
  • a13.jpg
    a13.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 195
  • a14.jpg
    a14.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 253
Her pink nails are so pretty!:) Her outfit looks as if it came from Victoria's closet...not that that's bad (I like and respect Victoria a lot). I'm glad she strayed away from her brown and blue suits. It's nice that she's up and around representing the Royal Family. Hopefully we'll see her at the Opening of Parliament and Nobel Prize...no illness or exams this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom