Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant News and Events 1, Oct 2019 - Feb 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Oh, well. Plenty of time.

"Princess Elisabeth (19) will study at Lincoln College, a college that is part of Oxford University. She passed the entrance exams for the three-year program 'History & Politics'."

A new picture from Palace released to mark the announcement.

"From October, Princess Elisabeth will follow a three-year 'History and Politics' program at Lincoln College @UniofOxford . The Princess will return regularly to Belgium and will remain involved in Belgian public life."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-GeggsXIAYpozF?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Last edited:
How exciting! All heirs living the nest! Is that program an undergraduate degree? Oxford University is a very good choice. I wish Elisabeth all the best ;)

"Princess Elisabeth (19) will study at Lincoln College, a college that is part of Oxford University. She passed the entrance exams for the three-year program 'History & Politics'."

"From October, Princess Elisabeth will follow a three-year 'History and Politics' program at Lincoln College @UniofOxford . The Princess will return regularly to Belgium and will remain involved in Belgian public life."

Excellent preparation for a future Queen: first, one year of military training, followed by a Bachelor's degree in History & Politics. Maybe she will take International Relations next at the master's level.

The only thing that surprises me a bit is that she did most of her schooling in Belgium in Dutch, then the two-year IB diploma in English, her military training again in Dutch, and now her undergraduate degree in English in Britain. I would have expected her to take at least part of her formal education in French, especially considering the reports that Elisabeth had problems with her written French in the past, which is alleged to be not so good.

I wonder if that is an issue in Belgium.

How exciting! All heirs living the nest! Is that program an undergraduate degree? Oxford University is a very good choice. I wish Elisabeth all the best ;)

The British posters can answer that, but, yes, I understand it is an undergraduate degree. Undergraduate degrees in Humanities and Social Sciences are 3-year programs in England (as opposed to 4 years as in the US or Canada). There are 4-year programs in fields like Engineering, Mathematics and Natural Sciences that lead to direct Master's degrees.

Last edited:
Excellent preparation for a future Queen: first, one year of military training, followed by a Bachelor's degree in History & Politics. Maybe she will take International Relations next at the master's level.

The only thing that surprises me a bit is that she did most of her schooling in Belgium in Dutch, then the two-year IB diploma in English, her military training again in Dutch, and now her undergraduate degree in English in Britain. I would have expected her to take at least part of her formal education in French, especially considering the reports that Elisabeth had problems with her written French in the past, which is alleged to be not so good.

I wonder if that is an issue in Belgium.

The British posters can answer that, but, yes, I understand it is an undergraduate degree. Undergraduate degress in Humanities and Social Sciences are 3-year programs in England (as opposed to 4 years as in the US or Canada). There are 4-year programs in fields like Engineering, Mathematics and Natural Sciences that lead to direct Master's degrees.

Dutch is the language of the demographically, satistically, economically and politically dominant part of Belgium. Elisabeth will be the first Belgian King with a primarily Dutch education. I think that is a wise and realistic choice.

All her predecessors primarily had a French education, which is still audible with Philippe, Albert, Laurent and Astrid. By the way: all speak Dutch very well. Just an audible French tongue in their speaking, but really only minimal. For me they sound perfect.

It seems that like his sister's family, the king's family has every intention of following the tradition of studying abroad in England. I wonder what her planned "involvement in Belgian public life" will include.

This is only a guess, but I imagine the link between the royal family and the French-speaking part of the country is perceived to be so strong it requires no reinforcement. The royal family is closely associated with the nobility, which historically was and remains overwhelmingly French-speaking. Most members of the royal family are native to the predominantly Francophone Brussels region. Many French speakers, but no native Dutch speakers, have married into the royal family, and their social circles seem to be largely French-speaking. And the monarchy enjoys stronger political support in Wallonia than Flanders.

It seems that like his sister's family, the king's family has every intention of following the tradition of studying abroad in England. I wonder what her planned "involvement in Belgian public life" will include.

This is only a guess, but I imagine the link between the royal family and the French-speaking part of the country is perceived to be so strong it requires no reinforcement. The royal family is closely associated with the nobility, which historically was and remains overwhelmingly French-speaking. Most members of the royal family are native to the predominantly Francophone Brussels region. Many French speakers, but no native Dutch speakers, have married into the royal family, and their social circles seem to be largely French-speaking. And the monarchy enjoys stronger political support in Wallonia than Flanders.

During the Referendum in the 1950's it was completely the opposite.
Support for the King, the votes "won":
- Dutch speaking part 4 of the 4 provinces
- French speaking part 1 of the 4 provinces (the province of Luxembourg narrowly escaped a 0 out of 4 score for the monarchy)
- Brabant (bilingual, mainly Dutch) 1 of the 1 province
- Brussels (bilingual, mainly French) 0 of the 1 arrondissement

The number of Dutch-speaking Belgians ironically saved the francophone monarchy despite the painful loss of the capital, Brussels: 57% pro and 43% contra. It was the first time the politicians in Brussels realized the era of dominance by a francophone bourgeoisie was definitely over. Princess Elisabeth's primarily Dutch education shows the monarchy has understood the importance.

Now it is the French speaking part supporting the monarchy, mainly because the national state (Belgium) is what keeps the French speaking regions apart. And the King is the symbol of that national state. The Flemish nationalists call this parasitisme: the "love" is just for the billions of transfers of "Dutch speaking taxpayers' money" which is what keeps the French speaking region afloat.

Last edited:
Very impressive that Elisabeth was accepted at Oxford. What a well rounded accomplished young woman she is becoming.?

As usual a diarrhea of negative reactions in (Dutch-speaking) media and social media: why the UK? What is wrong with Belgian universities? Well, it is easy to choose Oxford when the taxpayer pays the bill. Etc. Etc. Of course so now and then also reactions of support for Elisabeth or reactions condemning others like "the vinegar must have been in the sale again?"

Very impressive that Elisabeth was accepted at Oxford. What a well rounded accomplished young woman she is becoming.?

She strikes me as a hardworking student. In addition to her normal school exam results, I understand she had to take special entrance exams both for her IB program at UWC Atlantic College and now to get into Oxford. I don't think she got any special treatment as the Belgian Crown Princess, except perhaps at the Royal Military College.

She also speaks French, German, Dutch and English, which, although it is not so uncommon for Flemish people in particular, is nonetheless quite impressive to me. And I assume her English will be impeccable after doing both her upper secondary and undergraduate education in the UK. I wonder if she has picked up or will pick up a British accent.

As usual a diarrhea of negative reactions in (Dutch-speaking) media and social media: why the UK? What is wrong with Belgian universities? Well, it is easy to choose Oxford when the taxpayer pays the bill. Etc. Etc. Of course so now and then also reactions of support for Elisabeth or reactions condemning others like "the vinegar must have been in the sale again?"

BTW, the following link shows the annual tuition fees for her course at Oxford, not including room and board. EU students used to pay the same tuition as UK students, which is not so bad, but I don't know if that is still the case post-Brexit (that is actually explained on the same page, but I didn't have time to check). The overseas rate (£28,370 / year or a little over US$ 39,000) is less than what one would pay at a top private university in the US, but still pretty expensive by European standards. And , according to the Oxford site, additional living costs are estimated to be between £1,175 and £1,710 per month !

Last edited:
Sounds like a great choice for a future monarch!

Lincoln College is a rather small college that only accepts 90 (new) students per year. Oxford is a nice place to live and study and such a small college seems like a great environment for Elisabeth to further develop as one of normally a rather close-knit community.

The announcements sounds a bit weird to me; why don't they state that she is taking an undergraduate or Bachelor course?

According to their website the Lincoln History program has 12 spots and the Philosophy, Politics and Economics 9 spots. So, it seems she is taking some kind of dual/joint program. Her degree after completion will be BA (Hons).

The Oxford University H&P program receives about 44 new students each year; on average 11% of the applicants make it into the program.

BTW, the following link shows the annual tuition fees for her course at Oxford, not including room and board. EU students used to pay the same tuition as UK students, which is not so bad, but I don't know if that is still the case post-Brexit (that is actually explained on the same page, but I didn't have time to check). The overseas rate (£28,370 / year or a little over US$ 39,000) is less than what one would pay at a top private university in the US, but still pretty expensive by European standards. And , according to the Oxford site, additional living costs are estimated to be between £1,175 and £1,710 per month !

It states that EU students starting their studies in 2021 will have to pay 'overseas' price due to Brexit.

I assume that will be outside of term. According to the accommodation plan students with the 'in college' plan are in residence for only about 25 weeks a year, which is described as during three full terms plus a few days prior and after term, so, apparently each term is only about 8 weeks. So, she'll have about 6 months to spend in Belgium for public duties and/or to be on holiday elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Oxford (and Cambridge) terms are only 8 weeks each. There are three terms in the UK so she can be in Belgium half the year... I envy her, Oxford is a lovely place to live, nice shops, beautiful parks. First years usually live and eat in college. And it's a first rate education.

Thank you for sharing the reactions on social media.

Were the reactions similar when she went abroad to UWC Atlantic College? What about when her cousins' and brother's plans to study overseas were reported?

Yes, Oxford (and Cambridge) terms are only 8 weeks each. There are three terms in the UK so she can be in Belgium half the year... I envy her, Oxford is a lovely place to live, nice shops, beautiful parks. First years usually live and eat in college. And it's a first rate education.

Do the 24 weeks include final exams or are there one or two additional weeks only for exams?

Thank you for sharing the reactions on social media.

Were the reactions similar when she went abroad to UWC Atlantic College? What about when her cousins' and brother's plans to study overseas were reported?

Yes more or less the same. But Princess Elisabeth enjoys a basic goodwill so we may assume the silent majority of the Belgians have no problem with it or have no any opinion about it.

Her siblings and her cousins are not in the frontline of media and were not such a topic.

Agreed. I visited Oxford once. It’s lovely.

And- she’ll get an incredible education.

England sure is a popular place for royals to go to school- be it university level or below.

Do the 24 weeks include final exams or are there one or two additional weeks only for exams?

'Exams' are mostly papers; as far as I am aware it is all included; as they have to leave their rooms which wouldn't make sense if you're still studying for exams.

She must be a very bright girl to secure a place at Oxford.

I think it's a wise choice to study abroad, that way she won't have to deal with the scrutiny of "why a French university and not a Dutch university" (or viceversa).
Or why a private and not a public or a public and not a private university.
Plus it would give her the kind of freedom she would never have in Belgium.
Seems like Gabriel will be following in her footsteps, I really doubt he's doing sixth form just to return to Belgium.

Last edited:
Lovely photos. I like her style and she looks comfortable and happy. The punt photo on the Isis is especially nice. I’m sure she’ll fit in beautifully.

Elisabeth is at Oxford! I can hardly believe it:)

Best of luck to Elisabetrh, hope she enjoys her time at Oxford!

Great to have had pix of her on the site !

I love how generous the RF has always been when sharing milestones in Elisabeth's life, we can get a glimpse of her life without it being too obtrusive or annoying, excellent communication strategy.

:previous: I agree. Nothing short of brilliant in how their Crown Princess is presented.

Wow, a young and charming princess of the blood royal in the Hogwarts like ambiance of the Oxford colleges is the perfect combination!

It is funny that I was watching the videos and the girl who is showing Elisabeth around (who is also an international student based on her accent) is treating Elisabeth like any other ordinary student on his/her first day at the college. Elisabeth, on the other hand, is also very down to earth and behaves like any common person even though she is an HRH, a duchess and a future queen/head of state who grew up in a castle surrounded by several acres of exclusive royal park land and comes from a centuries-old family related to many other royal houses, who owns priceless jewelry and art, etc. etc. The gift of being humble, while at the same time understanding your constitutional position and family history, is something that I value enormoulsy in a royal person.

Last edited:
Very scenic photos indeed from Oxford.

I really have to go visit one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom