Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know, for sure, if William has served all the time he needs too. I think it was reported that if he didn"t, he would have to repay his training costs.

HE has not completed his 3 years yet. UI think that is up in either March or September. HE has to decide now whether to stay on secondment to the RAF SAR, return to his army regiment or leave the military. I think his decision is due about now.

Yes, we shall be hearing what the Cambridge's decision will be soon.

Why his badge still writes William Wales when it should be William Cambridge now

^^^^
Perhaps it is just easier to continue to use the name he has been known by since birth. Rather like some women continuing to use their maiden name in their professional life while being Mrs X in their private life.

Why his badge still writes William Wales when it should be William Cambridge now
William enlisted in the Army as "William Wales" so it makes sense to continue using that name for work purposes.
Although if we have to be pedantic, it shouldn't be William Wales or William Cambridge, but William Windsor since that's his surname.

William enlisted in the Army as "William Wales" so it makes sense to continue using that name for work purposes.
Although if we have to be pedantic, it shouldn't be William Wales or William Cambridge, but William Windsor since that's his surname.

Technically speaking, he has no surname but if he's to use one it's Mountbatten-Windsor, not simply Windsor.

Technically speaking, he has no surname but if he's to use one it's Mountbatten-Windsor, not simply Windsor.
It's true that the British Royals had no surname until early 20th century; they were known simply as members of the House they belonged to (Hanover, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, etcetera). However, in 1917 George V issued Letters Patent which specified Windsor as the name of not only the House but also the Family, meaning Windsor became their surname.

Mountbatten-Windsor is not and has never been William or Harry's surname. In 1952, the Queen issued a declaration whereby Windsor was confirmed as the name of the Royal Family and House. In 1960, she issued another declaration with stated that any male-line descendants who bear the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom will still belong to the House and Family of Windsor. It was only the those male-line descendants who do not bear those styles and titles who would bear the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

Prince William, as a male-line descendants who is a Royal Highness and Prince of the United Kingdom, belongs to the House and Family of Windsor. On the other hand, Harry's children (if born during the Queen's reign) will not be Royal Highnesses or Princes/Princesses, meaning their surname will be Mountbatten-Windsor.

It's true that the British Royals had no surname until early 20th century; they were known simply as members of the House they belonged to (Hanover, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, etcetera). However, in 1917 George V issued Letters Patent which specified Windsor as the name of not only the House but also the Family, meaning Windsor became their surname.

Mountbatten-Windsor is not and has never been William or Harry's surname. In 1952, the Queen issued a declaration whereby Windsor was confirmed as the name of the Royal Family and House. In 1960, she issued another declaration with stated that any male-line descendants who bear the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom will still belong to the House and Family of Windsor. It was only the those male-line descendants who do not bear those styles and titles who would bear the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

Prince William, as a male-line descendants who is a Royal Highness and Prince of the United Kingdom, belongs to the House and Family of Windsor. On the other hand, Harry's children (if born during the Queen's reign) will not be Royal Highnesses or Princes/Princesses, meaning their surname will be Mountbatten-Windsor.
No, you are wrong
For the most part, members of the Royal Family who are entitled to the style and dignity of HRH Prince or Princess do not need a surname, but if at any time any of them do need a surname (such as upon marriage), that surname is Mountbatten-Windsor.
The Royal Family name

:previous: Quote from the same page:
The Royal Family name of Windsor was confirmed by The Queen after her accession in 1952. However, in 1960, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh decided that they would like their own direct descendants to be distinguished from the rest of the Royal Family (without changing the name of the Royal House), as Windsor is the surname used by all the male and unmarried female descendants of George V.

It was therefore declared in the Privy Council that The Queen's descendants, other than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.

The effect of the declaration was that all The Queen's children, on occasions when they needed a surname, would have the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.
To me, their premise and conclusion don't match. William is a Royal Highness and a Prince, which means that his surname should be Windsor. And yet they state that when a surname is needed, they should use Mountbatten-Windsor.

Either way, thank you for posting the link. I assume those in charge of the official website know better than anyone else, even if their explanation is illogical.

I just call them The Cambridge's. Like The York's, Wessex's, Kent's and Gloucester's.

It seems simple to me:
Windsor is the surname used by all the male and unmarried female descendants of George V - The Gloucesters and The Kents.
The Queen's descendants or female descendants who unmarry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor - The Weleses (The Cambridges), The Yorks, The Wessexes.

It seems simple to me:
Windsor is the surname used by all the male and unmarried female descendants of George V - The Gloucesters and The Kents.
The Queen's descendants or female descendants who unmarry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor - The Weleses (The Cambridges), The Yorks, The Wessexes.
That's the conclusion. But then they give the following premise: It was therefore declared in the Privy Council that The Queen's descendants, other than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.

I accept Mountbatten-Windsor will be the surname of Harry's children and all other descendants of the Queen and Prince Philip who are not Royal Highnesses and Princes/Princesses of the United Kingdom. I can even accept that Lady Louise and Viscount Severn are Mountbatten-Windsor. But I do not understand how Mountbatten-Windsor can be the surname of the Wales and the York families, or Prince William's (future) children - all of whom are/will be Royal Highnesses and Princes/Princesses of the United Kingdom.

But I do not understand how Mountbatten-Windsor can be the surname of the Wales and the York families, or Prince William's (future) children - all of whom are/will be Royal Highnesses and Princes/Princesses of the United Kingdom.
They don't have surname.
If they need surname:
The effect of the declaration was that all The Queen's children, on occasions when they needed a surname, would have the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

The Queen and her children are NOT the male descendants of George V.

:previous:
They do have a surname - Windsor or Mountbatten Windsor. Not to have a need for surname and not actually having one are two different things.
Quote from the same link you posted:
Before 1917, members of the British Royal Family had no surname, but only the name of the house or dynasty to which they belonged. ...
In 1917, there was a radical change, when George V specifically adopted Windsor, not only as the name of the 'House' or dynasty, but also as the surname of his family.
I know Anne and Charles have used Mountbatten-Windsor in their private lives (for instance, I believe Charles used that surname in the Navy and Anne - upon getting married). But again, I don't see how it can be the official surname of those royals who carry the style of Royal Highness and title of Princes/Princesses.

Last edited:
Just an odd question on this point. When William and Kate filed suit in France, didn't it state William Mountbatten-Windsor and Catherine Middleton (females use their maiden names)? I remember there being a discussion on this then.

Just an odd question on this point. When William and Kate filed suit in France, didn't it state William Mountbatten-Windsor and Catherine Middleton (females use their maiden names)? I remember there being a discussion on this then.

Indeed it did. Full names as well.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
We were originally told to expect an announcement on William's future in January but I believe it's now likely to be in March

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
We were originally told to expect an announcement on William's future in January but I believe it's now likely to be in March

Do we need a poll to establish if we think he will stay on in the armed forces for another stint?

Since everyone in the BRF needs a passport (except for HM), they would have to use a surname. I believe Anne used M-W on both her marriage certificates as a tribute to her father. The Queen may have even "decreed" that the family surname, when needed, was to be Mountbatten-Windsor...seems I read this somewhere. Make no mistake, Philip has always been head of the family, not HM.

:previous:
They do have a surname - Windsor or Mountbatten Windsor. Not to have a need for surname and not actually having one are two different things.
Quote from the same link you posted: I know Anne and Charles have used Mountbatten-Windsor in their private lives (for instance, I believe Charles used that surname in the Navy and Anne - upon getting married). But again, I don't see how it can be the official surname of those royals who carry the style of Royal Highness and title of Princes/Princesses.

Artemisia: This being true, do you (or anyone) know why William and Harry are known by the surname WALES in military service? That has always confused me.

Artemisia: This being true, do you (or anyone) know why William and Harry are known by the surname WALES in military service? That has always confused me.

Probably as he is HRH Prince William of Wales.

Since everyone in the BRF needs a passport (except for HM), they would have to use a surname. I believe Anne used M-W on both her marriage certificates as a tribute to her father. The Queen may have even "decreed" that the family surname, when needed, was to be Mountbatten-Windsor...seems I read this somewhere. Make no mistake, Philip has always been head of the family, not HM.
They have their titles in passports.

Before William was created the Duke of Cambridge, he had no peerage title and it is customary for children of Royal Dukes to be known by the name of their father's Dukedom ("name + of + Dukedom", like Beatrice of York). Because of that, and because "Wales" is rather more inconspicuous than "Windsor", William and Harry chose it as their surname for their Army careers.

Harry still remains "of Wales" but William, a Peer in his own right, is now "of Cambridge".

On Charles and Camilla's wedding certificate, Charles's 'name and surname' is recorded as 'His Royal Highness Prince Charles Philip Arthur George THE PRINCE OF WALES'.

Camilla's is 'Camilla Rosemary PARKER BOWLES'.

The registrar has used capitals and underlined what is considered to be their surnames, in Charles's case it's 'The Prince of Wales' and in Camilla's it's 'Parker Bowles'. So, Charles is not using Winsdor, Mountbatton-Windsor or simply Wales. He's essentially using his title as his surname. I would think his current passport (the one in Artemisia's link is quite old as UK passports have been a maroon colour for many years now to, unfortunately, comply with EU rules) would be the same.

Personally, I think the royals just choose whatever name they fancy when one is needed.

Yeah, William is no longer Prince William of Wales but HRH The Duke of Cambridge.

That's the conclusion. But then they give the following premise: It was therefore declared in the Privy Council that The Queen's descendants, other than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.

I accept Mountbatten-Windsor will be the surname of Harry's children and all other descendants of the Queen and Prince Philip who are not Royal Highnesses and Princes/Princesses of the United Kingdom. I can even accept that Lady Louise and Viscount Severn are Mountbatten-Windsor. But I do not understand how Mountbatten-Windsor can be the surname of the Wales and the York families, or Prince William's (future) children - all of whom are/will be Royal Highnesses and Princes/Princesses of the United Kingdom.

To me it's quite simple ... the last name Mountbatten is inherited from the paternal side of the family ... that's Prince Phillip's last name ... in many countries, where a child is born and the parents have separate last names (in this case Queen Elizabeth's is Windsor and Prince Phillip's is Mountbatten) the child / children (and other such descendants) can legally use one or the other or both (hyphenated).

The reason why the Mountbatten-Windsor surname is said to belong to those who are of male line descent but do not use (or have) an HRH is because people with the HRH do not use (or need) a surname in regular practice. Where you or I would use a surname, people with HRHs instead use a title. For legal matters The Prince of Wales' surname is The Prince of Wales. His full name is Charles Philip Arthur George - no surname - not Charles Philip Arthur George Mountbatten-Windsor (or Windsor, for that matter).

When members of the Royal Family who have an HRH need to use a surname they can do so in one of three ways:
1. They use their title, either in completion or partiality. Charles' passport lists his surname as The Prince of Wales, while when they were at school and while in the armed forces both William and Harry have used Wales. This can also be seen with Edward, who was styled as Edward Wessex in his production company following his marriage.
2. They use the surname Windsor. Edward in particular has done this; he was styled as Edward Windsor in his production company prior to his marriage, and his daughter is Lady Louise Windsor.
3. They can use Mountbatten-Windsor, as is done with all non-HRH male-line members of the family. At this point there are, officially, no such people who are Mountbatten-Windsors - Edward's children are both HRHs, they just don't use it. Right now, the future children of Edward's son will be styled as such and, depending on when he has children (and if HM is still alive then), Harry's future children will also be styled as such.

Most HRHs have made use of Mountbatten-Windsor at some point in time or another, at times when they needed a surname and chose not to use their titles, but it is not a part of their legal name. Nor, for that matter, is Windsor, which in all technicality at this point is the House name but not the surname. In terms of surnames, the Windsors are the male-line descendants of George V (i.e. HM's cousins), while the Mountbatten-Windsors are the male-line descendants of Elizabeth II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom