Prince Rainier Current Events 1 : Nov.2002 - Apr.2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Yahoo News Germany and AFP Prince Rainier of Monaco has been hospitalized again this Friday, January 2nd 2004 because of continuing weakness.

Fürst Rainier von Monaco erneut im Krankenhaus

Bild vergrößern
Monaco (AFP)

Fürst Rainier III. von Monaco ist erneut ins Krankenhaus eingeliefert worden. Der 80-Jährige leide unter "allgemeiner Erschöpfung", teilte das monegassische Fürstenhaus mit. Rainier, der dienstälteste Monarch Europas, ist seit langem gesundheitlich angeschlagen. Er war kurz vor Weihnachten wegen einer Grippe-Infektion fünf Tage lang stationär im Herz-Lungen-Zentrum von Monaco behandelt worden.

"Seine Hoheit Rainier III. von Monaco ist am Nachmittag ins Herz-Lungen-Zentrum von Monaco eingeliefert worden", erklärte das Fürstenhaus nun. Die behandelnden Ärzte Vincent Dor und Jean-Joseph Pastor hätten einen "Zustand allgemeiner Erschöpfung" festgestellt und Rainier "für einige Tage einer durchgehenden medizinischen Kontrolle unterzogen". Rainier hatte vom 16. bis 21. Dezember im selben Krankenhaus gelegen und die Feiertage dann im Kreis seiner Familie verbracht.

Monacos seit 1949 amtierender Fürst wurde bereits im Mai 2002 wegen "allgemeiner Erschöpfung" und im November 2002 wegen einer Lungenerkrankung im Krankenhaus behandelt. In den vergangenen Monaten war er mehrfach in der Öffentlichkeit aufgetreten. Den Verlust seiner Frau, der Hollywood-Diva Grace Kelly, 1982 durch einen Autounfall hatte Rainier lange nicht verwinden können.

I hope it's not too bad and HSH is home with his family soon....the American press made it sound very serious.

Can anyone tell me what Prince Ranier has been hospitalized for this time?

And not that I would wish for this to happen at this time, but hypothetically, if Prince Ranier were to pass away, would Albert succeed him? I ask because I am a bit fuzzy on the specifics of what would happen since Albert does not have an heir. (Sorry if this is a repeated question.)

I don't mean to be morbid but what is going to happen if Rainier suddenly dies? Prince Albert will become reigning prince, correct?

Here's how I read the constitutional ammendments:

Immediately upon his father's death, Albert inherits the throne (and becomes the sovereign) Caroline becomes in effect the new "Crown Princess" - without the title - it is reserved for Albert's child only. So unless of course Albert formally adopts a child - such as Andrea, the only HSH will be Caroline, Stephanie and Antoinette. If Albert marries and has a child then this child of course takes the title of Crown Prince(ss).

However, a recent modification to the Monaco law immediate places Caroline and her children immediately in line for the thrown after Albert and any of his heirs. That means that if Albert then dies and he has no heirs that Caroline inherits. She then has Andrea (who becomes Crown Prince), and then the line becomes Andrea, Charlotte, Pierre, Alexandra, Stephanie, her three children, Antoinette and her children, their children, etc.

Albert always has the right to adopt or marry and have children the old fashioned way of course.

...this is of course as I understand it.

Probably AP:

"Prince Rainier, the 80-year-old ruler of Monaco, was readmitted to
hospital today because of "general fatigue", his office said.

It was Rainier's second spell in hospital in less than three weeks.
He was last discharged on December 21 after five days in a Monaco
heart and chest clinic to treat flu symptoms.

This time, Rainier is in "a state of general fatigue" and returned
to the clinic so he could be kept under "constant medical
surveillance for several days", his palace said in a brief statement.

Rainier underwent heart surgery in 1999. He had two operations in
2000 and was admitted to hospital in 2002 for fatigue and bronchitis.

Rainier's wife, film star Grace Kelly, died in a car crash in 1982.

Nestled on the Mediterranean coast between Italy and the French
Riviera, Monaco is a tax haven popular with celebrities, financiers
and sports figures."

Glad to see Prince Ranier get out of the hospital. I'm happy he is well rested and feeling better. This probably a good birthday present for Caroline. :)

I am SOO happy is back home!! I was having a horrible feeling about him :cry: but hopefully is back in good shape!!

What terrible news. He is at a very fragile age that things like this can really set you back.

Here is the article that sherry11 mentioned, from Yahoo News:

Monaco's Prince Rainier hospitalized for heart problems

MONACO (AFP) - Monaco's 80-year-old Prince Rainier has been hospitalized for the third time in two months, suffering from "acute heart problems," the palace said.

"Biological exams confirmed this diagnosis corresponded with a new coronary lesion situated just below the heart bypass operation carried out in November 1994," a medical statement put out by the palace said.

It added that the lesion was "immediately brought under control".

The prince, who was admitted Saturday afternoon, would remain in hospital "in principle for several days", it said.

Prince Rainier was hospitalised from December 16 to 21 with an attack of influenza, and from January 2 to 22 as a result of a "state of general fatigue."

Since his return to the palace, he has not been seen in public.

The prince is one of the world's longest-reigning monarchs. He acceded to power in the tiny Mediterranean enclave in 1949, three years before Britain's Queen Elizabeth II.

OH NO this is terrible, I have a bad feeling about Rainier for this coming year... :cry: I hope he does get better but...

I have a question... I was reading some Royalty magazines from 1990-1994 last night and I came upon an article about Caroline that talked about her marrying Lindon but then it said it would solve any problems for Rainier because Albert can't come to throne until he is married?!?! Why? Rainier did before he married Grace... just confused :wacko:

I think that Albert came become Sovereign even if he isn't married. The long time rumor has been that Prince Rainier personally preferred that his son be married before he takes the throne.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 12:42 pm
What terrible news. He is at a very fragile age that things like this can really set you back.

Here is the article that sherry11 mentioned, from Yahoo News:

Monaco's Prince Rainier hospitalized for heart problems

MONACO (AFP) - Monaco's 80-year-old Prince Rainier has been hospitalized for the third time in two months, suffering from "acute heart problems," the palace said.

"Biological exams confirmed this diagnosis corresponded with a new coronary lesion situated just below the heart bypass operation carried out in November 1994," a medical statement put out by the palace said.

It added that the lesion was "immediately brought under control".

The prince, who was admitted Saturday afternoon, would remain in hospital "in principle for several days", it said.

Prince Rainier was hospitalised from December 16 to 21 with an attack of influenza, and from January 2 to 22 as a result of a "state of general fatigue."

Since his return to the palace, he has not been seen in public.

The prince is one of the world's longest-reigning monarchs. He acceded to power in the tiny Mediterranean enclave in 1949, three years before Britain's Queen Elizabeth II.
I hope he gets better.

Per the laws of Monaco, upon the death of Rainier his son and heir, Albert, will become The Prince of Monaco. His marital status in no way affects his place in the succession!!

The law of succession was recently amended to allow Caroline, Stephanie and their children to retain their places in the line of succession after Albert ascends the Princely Throne. Previously, they would have lost their places upon the death of their father and Monaco would have become an autonomous region of France if Albert failed to produce and heir (which I doubt he would have allowed to happen) before his death. Now the succession is secure.

I suspect Albert WILL marry within a year of his becoming The Prince of Monaco. Unfortunately, I believe Albert will acsend the throne before the end of this year if not before then.

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@Feb 22nd, 2004 - 4:16 pm
Per the laws of Monaco, upon the death of Rainier his son and heir, Albert, will become The Prince of Monaco. His marital status in no way affects his place in the succession!!

The law of succession was recently amended to allow Caroline, Stephanie and their children to retain their places in the line of succession after Albert ascends the Princely Throne. Previously, they would have lost their places upon the death of their father and Monaco would have become an autonomous region of France if Albert failed to produce and heir (which I doubt he would have allowed to happen) before his death. Now the succession is secure.

I suspect Albert WILL marry within a year of his becoming The Prince of Monaco. Unfortunately, I believe Albert will acsend the throne before the end of this year if not before then.
TRUE, but over here we are all feeling the pain that ALBERT is going through as well.
it would be so much nicer of PRINCE RAINIER to make ALBERT his successor while he is still alive :cry:

i hope he gets better.. but its looking bad :(

I heard the news on CNN and then read it online at Yahoo.com

This is indeed extremely sad news to hear. I had hoped that Ranier would be on the road to recovery after finally getting out of the hospital before Caroline's birthday. He had been in the hospital twice late last year and when he finally went home, I hoped things would get better.

Ranier is very old and does have severe heart problems, etc. So I guess this is to be expected, but it's still very sad to hear. I wish him and all of his family all the best. I hope he gets better.

But if he doesn't. I hope and pray that Albert, Caroline, and the rest of the family keep it all together and do what's best for Monaco and their families. I hope they all keep their wits about them and I hope everything works out for the best!

I read this and suddenly got a horrible feeling. I wish HSH a full and quick recovery, but based on the tone of that article, I am afraid that might not be so. I am sure this is a very difficult time for his family.

leyla m., I'm really sorry that all of you are feeling those pains. And maybe Prince Rainier will be able to pull through like he always has before. Monaco's traditions are respected all over the world. There's even a Monaco respect group in The P.R. of China. But I can't remember the URL for that group. And it's in Chinese too. But that's how much Monaco is respected.

Sherry

Very sad news indeed. Seems he's had to be in and out of the hospital a lot lately. My best wishes to all the Grimaldis. :heart:

Poor Rainier. I hope he gets well soon and I hope Albert fulfills his father's wishes before it's too late.

Something tells me within a few months we'll be hearing about a marriage in monaco. I too hope HSH Prince Rainier has a full recovery.

It's probably a very fond wish of Rainier's, that Albert would marry a "suitable" girl ;) before he passes on, so you maybe right about a wedding in the future. I've sometimes wondered if Albert is reluctant to choose a bride, when there will be such comparisons made to his mother and sisters. Whoever he chooses, she'll have to be a pretty strong lady in my opinion! :heart:

The good news is that Prince Rainier came out of the hospital around March 3rd or 4th. Princess Stephanie and Prince Albert were by his side.

Yeah, monaco70s! Prince Rainier is okay. I guess he just likes to scare us once in a while! But prayers anyway!

Sherry!

Prince Rainier of Monaco and Prince Albert watching the Champions League quarter-final second leg football match between Monaco and Real Madrid, 06 April 2004 at Louis II Stadium in Monaco which Monaco won and advanced to the semifinals!

MONACO - MAY 1: Princess Caroline of Hanover and her father Prince Rainier III of Monaco arrive attend the 37th International Bouquet contest at the Monaco Garden Club on May 1, 2004 in Monte Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images)

Rainier and Caroline

Its so good to see Prince Rainer out and about at the football games. Will he be at the championship game in Germany? Anyone know?

I don´t know. Maybe. It would be great if he does go.

I hope so he will still strong of his health or poor? but someone said on the posts his health will be poor!

Sara Boyce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom