Prince Louis and Princess Tessy to Divorce: January 18, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep in mind he may run into trouble if he wants to remarry. He will have to go thru the annulment process to marry within his Church. I'm not sure how his parents would view his marrying outside the Church.

LaRae

It would not surprise me in the least if the Grand Ducal Court has already started to put out feelers in Rome, paving the way for an eventual annulment of the marriage on the grounds of the emotional immaturity of the couple. I agree with you that his parents would be saddened if Louis re-married outside the Church but I also think Louis would not like it either.

Along with his brother Guillaume, Louis strikes me as genuinely devout. I remember watching him at the Octave procession a few months ago, clutching his rosary and praying intently along the route.

Problem is...I think Tessy would oppose any attempt to annull the marriage.

Just because.:cool:

Last edited:
No he has worked for humanitarian causes and his linguistic skills stood him in good stead. His family was obviously supportive of his goals or I am sure they would have conveyed that to him. Now that he has spousal support and child support to pay I guess he realises that he will have to change his career path or, should he ever wish to remarry, he would be unable to afford it. ?

I can not find in the document that the Prince has had a paid job. I can only find this:

With respect to his future earning capacity, in his statement, the husband contends that:

"The custom and indeed the current expectation in my family has been and is that members, save for HRH the former Grand Duke Jean, HRH the Grand Duke, and the Heir Apparent, my eldest brother Guillaume, the Hereditary Grand Duke, are financially self-sufficient, I am therefore expected to develop my own earning capacity, and live according to my own means, which I fully intend to do so (sic)"

Within this context, the husband contends that the income he receives from his parents is entirely voluntary on their part and, at the age of 32, he is feeling an increasing obligation to become self-sufficient. The husband has a qualification in aeronautical management and a private pilot's licence and a BA in Communications. The husband asserts that he was unsuccessful in gaining employment with these qualifications. He has now also completed a Masters degree in psychological studies and has established a consultancy focusing on directional counselling. He told the court that he continues to undertake training in this regard. The husband however, contends that the consultancy does not yet provide any income.

The original budget advanced by the husband was £83,370. The wife contended during cross-examination that the "vast majority" of the husband's outgoings are catered for by the fact he lives in property owned by his family. During his oral evidence, the husband conceded that he lives rent free in a property which has the benefit of a maid and a cleaner, and that his utility bills, television service and health insurance are paid by his parents. The husband further conceded that when he goes on holiday he pays for his air travel, but accommodation is ordinarily provided at properties owned by the family. Indeed, in cross examination he stated that his parents pay for everything in the household and that, at present, his outgoings are "very minimal". As I have also noted however, the husband expressed the desire to move towards self-sufficiency and towards renting his own property. Within this context, during his closing submissions, Mr Ewins provided a revised budget for the husband of £25,750 per annum.

The parties differed in their evidence as to the standard of living enjoyed by them and their children during the course of the marriage. The wife contended that their lifestyle was luxurious. She stated that the family had spent most of their holidays in family properties in Europe and could stay in such properties rent free with staff at their disposal. The wife noted that she and the husband had houses bought for them to live in wherever they wished to live and never wanted for funds, setting out in her statement those amounts she contends were made available to the parties, negating their need to resort to spending capital. The wife further states that passports, driving licences, medical insurance and medical appointments were organised and paid for, as were cars to the airport and flight upgrades. The children's schooling and health costs were also paid for. By contrast, the husband portrays a lifestyle that he describes as "relatively modest".

Last edited:
Upon reading 51 and 52 above, it seems that the husband contradicts himself - one time saying modest and one time saying everything except spending money is provided. (not at all modest)

Louis must be itching to earn his own money! Fancy having one's parents pay for everything - including the food on your child's plate.

Good luck and good fortune to them both.

I still don't understand what Tessy is called now. Can she keep her marital surname like her sons' name?

Upon reading 51 and 52 above, it seems that the husband contradicts himself - one time saying modest and one time saying everything except spending money is provided. (not at all modest)

Louis must be itching to earn his own money! Fancy having one's parents pay for everything - including the food on your child's plate.

Good luck and good fortune to them both.

I still don't understand what Tessy is called now. Can she keep her marital surname like her sons' name?

iii) I determined that this court did not have jurisdiction to decide issues concerning the fate of the wife's Royal titles following the granting of decree absolute.

We may expect a new Arrêté grand-ducal which establishes the new situation.

Last edited:
So does this decision, mean this whole court dispute is now over and the divorce is finalized?

The couple will not be divorced until they apply for and receive a decree absolute from the court.

https://www.gov.uk/divorce/apply-for-a-decree-absolute
The decree absolute is the legal document that ends your marriage.
[…]
Once you get the decree absolute, you are divorced, no longer married and free to marry again if you wish.​

The Nassau house laws remove titles and predicates from wives upon divorce or legal separation. (Princess Tessy did not apply for a legal separation, and she retains her title until she is divorced.)

The grand-ducal court informed Luxarazzi last year that Tessy will not be an exception to the rule. Her titles will be legally removed once she receives the decree absolute (although I suppose Grand Duke Henri has no power in the UK to prevent her calling herself whatever she desires).

Décret grand-ducal du 18 juin 2012 portant coordination du Statut de famille du 5 mai 1907. - Legilux
Family Bylaws Concerning the House Law of the House of Luxembourg-Nassau
It's Official: No Title for Tessy

As the house laws do not remove the family name from ex-wives, it seems she can keep it if she wishes to.

What does it mean that Louis has to pay nominal maintenance to Tessy?

A nominal spousal maintenance order fixes the amount of spousal support at 0. If Tessy's financial circumstances change for the worse during the next 6 years, she is allowed to request the court to revise the amount upwards. According to the websites of some law firms, it is rare for such a request to be granted. If she applies for and is granted support, it will end when the maintenance order expires in 6 years.

https://www.blbsolicitors.co.uk/blog/spousal-maintenance-how-much-and-for-how-long/

Last edited:
It would not surprise me in the least if the Grand Ducal Court has already started to put out feelers in Rome, paving the way for an eventual annulment of the marriage on the grounds of the emotional immaturity of the couple. I agree with you that his parents would be saddened if Louis re-married outside the Church but I also think Louis would not like it either.

Along with his brother Guillaume, Louis strikes me as genuinely devout. I remember watching him at the Octave procession a few months ago, clutching his rosary and praying intently along the route.

Problem is...I think Tessy would oppose any attempt to annull the marriage.

Just because.:cool:

Even if she did, if there are true grounds for one she can't stop it. I don't know if they have started exploring the option, if Louis is pretty devout he may not wish to...at least not now.

LaRae

I personally doubt there are grounds for it.

I can’t help but suspect that a roofer’s daughter and a Grand Duke’s son would generally have different concepts of what defines a modest lifestyle and what constitutes a lavish one.

I can’t help but suspect that a roofer’s daughter and a Grand Duke’s son would generally have different concepts of what defines a modest lifestyle and what constitutes a lavish one.

From what we can read the prince has a carefree life but he is no millionaire. He is no Paris Hilton, Cristiano Ronaldo or Ivanka Trump. I agree with the Prince that his lifestyle is modest but of course without worries.

In the court ruling we could read that - unsurprisingly- the Banque de Luxembourg sees Prince Louis de Luxembourg as a man of high solvability but of course, as Louis stated, he has no income to bear the burden of eventual credits he could enjoy from banks. A wise young man. Of course he is comptrolled by the Administration des Biens, preventing him to engage into risky financial adventures. We see the same mechanism in the other Nassau family (Netherlands) where the Thesaurier des Konings factually functions as the family bank and as family accountant.

Last edited:
None of us know exactly what caused the separation and probable divorce, but in reading all of the above, does no one wonder if lack of the Prince having a job and supporting his family a part of the issue? With all the contacts the Royal Family have, no one could give the Prince a job? Maybe he does not want to work, rather have his wife work. To live off his family when he is able to work really is a question.....why? A lot of people blame the Princess, but it takes two to make or break a marriage. It is not all her fault. With all the Prince said in court, he needs to get a job, not keep giving excuses. JMOO ... so I am ready for the tomatoes to fly.

Maybe because he identifies as a ''student''? Which is a poor excuse for a grown ass man with children but I don't live in the world of the uber wealthy so what do I know

None of us know exactly what caused the separation and probable divorce, but in reading all of the above, does no one wonder if lack of the Prince having a job and supporting his family a part of the issue? With all the contacts the Royal Family have, no one could give the Prince a job? Maybe he does not want to work, rather have his wife work. To live off his family when he is able to work really is a question.....why? A lot of people blame the Princess, but it takes two to make or break a marriage. It is not all her fault. With all the Prince said in court, he needs to get a job, not keep giving excuses. JMOO ... so I am ready for the tomatoes to fly.

I really agree with you that it takes *2* to make and or break a marriage. I have not liked that Tessy has always posted on social media the way she has yet I understand that this is the norm for networking these days and to make contact with other people in the world. I give her credit for *doing* something at least, trying to make a better place in the world for those that really need it and still raising 2 boys and making a home for them on her own. I do not see Louis as an involved father at all, weekend dad maybe, if that! All the criticism thrown at Tessy I hope and think it has made her stronger and more determined then ever to forge ahead with her life. She got her education, she wants to do more then be a showpiece of wearing the right clothes and smiling at nothing all day......Louis, what does he do all day? Lives in Paris on property belonging to the family and accepting handouts from mom and dad.......maybe he is looking for a rich girl ..........:whistling:

What do the other siblings do? Gui is a full time royal, Louis is a student. What about Felix, Alexandra and Sebastian, what do they do for jobs? They are all adults and the youngest is in his late 20's.

Is Louis in a doctorate type of program or just didn't go to college until later?

LaRae

Exactly. I also wondered whether Tessy promoting her lavish lifestyle was part of her strategy to show the court that she indeed now was accustomed to all these perks she enjoyed and hot used to during her marriage.

What do the other siblings do? Gui is a full time royal, Louis is a student. What about Felix, Alexandra and Sebastian, what do they do for jobs? They are all adults and the youngest is in his late 20's.

Is Louis in a doctorate type of program or just didn't go to college until later?

LaRae

He started his pilot training in 2009, his bachelor in 2011 and his master in 2015. He graduated last year. See his LinkedIn profile.

Felix was running a vineyard and chateau for his father in law but appears to have moved on now.
Sebastian is in the British army (I think)
Alexandra...I don't know.

I think Tessy's initial demands were way to high and hope they were simply part of a strategy to negotiate down from.

:previous: Google is your friend guys. Both Louis and Tessy make for interesting reading.

Tessy instagram Strategie, Promotions, Evening dresses failed and Louis decided not to work , so no incomes. He is not in Paris for his Sister !
I hope an annulment in Rome for this non mature wedding .

I’m deeply disturbed as a woman that he’s basically unemployed. So his family is covering the schooling of the children but their day to day extras will come from Tessy? I wasn’t keen on her new networking behaviour but she was smart to do it. She’ll need the cash. And of course she can’t get spousal support after a decade if her spouse doesn’t “work”.

I’m deeply disturbed as a woman that he’s basically unemployed. So his family is covering the schooling of the children but their day to day extras will come from Tessy? I wasn’t keen on her new networking behaviour but she was smart to do it. She’ll need the cash. And of course she can’t get spousal support after a decade if her spouse doesn’t “work”.
Why would Tessy need spousal support if she earns twice as much as Louis. Why doesn't he receive spousal support from her?

And if her soon to be former-in-laws provide her and her children with a 1.5 M dollar home and pay the children's school fees, she should have more than enough to take care of the little extras from her 75.000 pounds income (and the additional 8000 pounds she'll receive to spend on their children). And I am sure that Louis will take care of the 'day to day extras' when the children are with him. As someone mentioned they boys are at a boarding school throughout the week, the day to day extras seem rather limited and divided between mom and dad.

Last edited:
Why would Tessy need spousal support if she earns twice as much as Louis. Why doesn't he receive spousal support from her?

TBH I’m surprised the court didn’t suggest that and I’m serious. But if she’s going to be the primary caregiver and he has no income I see why they wouldn’t.

He has to pay her something like 10,000 pounds a year for the kids. So he (or whomever is paying) is giving something for their care. I guess too they are going to provide her and the boys a London home until the youngest one graduates high school (or however they do it there).

Maybe when he finalizes his studies he will get a job and pick up things on his own.

LaRae

We tend to think that princes are no paupers, but even the Grand-Duke is not the one with the major family fortune, that still is with the former Grand-Duke, Prince Jean (Louis' grandfather).

I understood that Prince Louis already had an advance payment on his inheritance. Mind you: his grandfather is still alive and has 5 children. That means that Grand-Duke Henri (Louis' father) will receive 1/5 th (20%) of his father's private fortune. On his turn Henri has 5 children as well. So you can calculate that Louis will ultimately possibly receive a watered down 1/5th of the 1/5th (= 4%) of what his grandfather has now. And the taxman rings twice: when Henri inherits, and when Louis inherits.

Of course there is a historic family fortune deriving from the Nassau Family Pact of 1783, the Court document showed that the bulk of this is a fideïcommis, meaning a protected fortune going from the head of the House to the head of the House (compare it with a Crown Estate) meaning it will go to his eldest brother Guillaume. Louis and his other siblings will not see any centime from it.

But hey: he lives for free in Paris, he has a maid and a cleaner, all his bills are paid for, he can stay in family properties all over Europe, when he has airline tickets or hotels, he will be upgraded, so there is little urge on the good man to earn an income. In the meantime he has collected lots of studies. So I can kind of understand him, having an absolute carefree and protected life, without being excessive.

Last edited:

All of this I agree with.

Indeed, in English divorces spousal maintenance (not to be confused with child maintenance, which is usually paid to the primary caregiver) is normally paid by the wealthier spouse (in this case, Princess Tessy) to the spouse who has the lower income and fewer assets (in this case, Prince Louis). In that respect, even though the support order (awarded to Tessy) is nominal and so no spousal maintenance payments will be awarded for the time being, this case is out of the ordinary.

If I understand the ruling correctly, the judge's basis is that Prince Louis's expenses are minimal and his parents will provide him with housing until he secures new employment. Based on the judge's rationale, it seems the judge knows or assumes that Princess Tessy's parents either will not or cannot similarly provide for their daughter's housing and expenses while she is searching for new employment.

He has to pay her something like 10,000 pounds a year for the kids. So he (or whomever is paying) is giving something for their care. I guess too they are going to provide her and the boys a London home until the youngest one graduates high school (or however they do it there).

Maybe when he finalizes his studies he will get a job and pick up things on his own.

LaRae
They will be provided housing until Noah graduates from university. So, a rather generous timeline.

I think you hit the nail on its head . Tessy grew up , Louis never did . And being married to immature eternal teenager isn't a lot of fun once you're an adult .

I think you hit the nail on its head . Tessy grew up , Louis never did . And being married to immature eternal teenager isn't a lot of fun once you're an adult .

Immature eternal teenager? You are quick with conclusions. :ohmy:

I think the GD family were probably proud of Louis work with NGO's, his year-long internship with the Red Cross and his charitable endeavours while still in Switzerland at school.

Tessy got the benefit of an education she would never have been able to afford, and entree into a lifestyle she couldn't have imagined and was dressed by the best. I think she genuinely thought that would be her life, lunching, networking, arranging elegant fundraisers, etc with a chance to wear gorgeous gala gowns and drink champagne for charity. Louis wanted to work with them and they do not pay well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom