Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Henrik is hardly a struggling senior. He'll live in luxury for the remainder of his life, but it's not appropriate for him to continue to receive taxpayer funded money when he no longer intends to work on behalf of Denmark.

It is usual for Senior Public Servants to have known retirement benefits, commensurate with their rank and service. They don't have to prove popularity and have a compliant nature.
No one would suggest giving an ex Prime Minister less because he had a higher wage and entitlements while in office. No one would expect a teacher to forego retirement payments if they happen be heir to a wealthy fortune nor if they were to win Tattslotto.
I am suggesting that there should be sensitive thought and good planning so that there is no uncertainty for Royals and the public.
Denmark seems to have a knee jerk way of reacting to divorce and now retirement payments for the DRF.

It's a common misunderstanding that the apanage is the royal's salary. That is not the case.
The apanage is to cover the expenses of the individual royal (in QMII and Frederik's case the whole court) including "salary".

Now if we look at the info in this post: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...he-danish-royal-family-15571.html#post1863226
And apply them to PH. Then we can roughly assume that one fifth of PH's apanage constitute his salary.
Okay PH receive roughly 8 million DKK. One fifth of that is roughly 1.5 million DKK, that's not a lot for a man in his position, but he doesn't pay taxes, including vat.
And apart from a secretary and a valet he doesn't need to pay for additional staff. The driver, cleaners, cooks, footmen, advisors and so on are paid for by the court as a whole and that's QMII responsibility.
Nor does he need to pay for the upkeep of the palaces, furnishing, equipment, heating and so on.
The only expenses he has is travel expenses for his staff, including food and hotel bills and other day-to-day expenses.

Let's be generous and estimate that the salary for his valet and secretary working full time constitute 500.000 DKK each, including basic salary, overtime, insurance, pension, vacation and so on. That's one million DKK

Okay, PH apanage is 8 million DKK.
Minus salary: 1.5 million DKK.
Minus staff: One million DKK

As far as I can figure out that leaves roughly 5.5 million DKK for additional expenses, including travelling. - Keep in mind that PH according to this estimate is only paying for himself out of his own pocket. At reduced prices because he is not paying vat.

5.5 million DKK - for what? Now that he has officially retired.
So either some of that money is channeled back to QMII to cover the general expenses of the court or - What? Going into the piggy-bank?
The piggy-bank will soon be bursting!

To put it into perspective: For 5.5. million DKK after tax Mrs Muhler and I could live a very comfortable middle class life for eleven years. Without working. And if we didn't eat caviar more than once a week, we should easily be able to stretch that to fifteen years. (Including two brand new suitcases and tents for our children, so they have a good start in life... This estimate is for two adults).

So IMO a 50 % cut in PH's apanage is not unreasonable. I just believe the money should be transferred to QMII and not the state coffer.

Last edited:
And apart from a secretary and a valet he doesn't need to pay for additional staff. The driver, cleaners, cooks, footmen, advisors and so on are paid for by the court as a whole and that's QMII responsibility.

Let's be generous and estimate that the salary for his valet and secretary working full time constitute 500.000 DKK each, including basic salary, overtime, insurance, pension, vacation and so on. That's one million DKK

Okay, PH apanage is 8 million DKK.
Minus salary: 1.5 million DKK.
Minus staff: One million DKK

I think PH has a surprisingly big staff. Especially now that he has retired ;)

"HANS KONGELIGE HØJHED PRINSGEMALENS HOFSTAT
Hofchef Michael Nellemann
Sekretariatschef, major Nils Nykjær
Sekretariatsfuldmægtig Olivier Lesenecal"

Up until early January, he had 4 people working for him. A clerk has disappeared from the list. I really don't understand why he has his own Chief of Court.

Indeed. And that is just the administration, a valet and probably an additional secretary is not included.

The members of PH staff won't be unemployed. They'll be offered a new job within the state administration. That's part of the perks of being a state employee, certainly at this level.
But what are they otherwise going to busy themselves with now? I don't think they are particularly overworked as it is. So there has to be cuts in the staff and that is perhaps an ongoing process?

A Chief of Court is the daily manager, so that the royal doesn't have to be concerned with the day to day running of the court. That's useful in case the royal can't count to twenty without taking off his shoes. After all not everyone has administrative or leadership skills.

Last edited:
According to the FrederiketMary blog, Henrik is in France resting up from his Egyptian trip. ''The Danish Prince...rests currently in treatment, at the Sofitel Biarritz.'' The 'treatment' part may be a quirk of the online translator - but if you want to rest and recover that's a pretty nice place to do it. ;)

:previous: I saw that too, wonder if its true. ;)
Since Frederik is regent this week I wonder too if the Queen is with him

:previous: I saw that too, wonder if its true. ;)
Since Frederik is regent this week I wonder too if the Queen is with him

I doubt that. She usually go to Norway at this time of year.

ADDED: Wonder if PH will show up for the gala dinner? Or the welcoming at the airport, alternatively Fredensborg?

Last edited:
Why does PH retirement bother me?:bang: I don't mean personally :whistling::lol: but it just seems selfish to me. Every time I see the Queen attending thing by herself, it bothers me. I know it's none of my business and I'm sure they have it all worked out between themselves but it still bothers me:ohmy:

Why does PH retirement bother me?:bang: I don't mean personally :whistling::lol: but it just seems selfish to me. Every time I see the Queen attending thing by herself, it bothers me. I know it's none of my business and I'm sure they have it all worked out between themselves but it still bothers me:ohmy:

It bothers me too:) I'm not Danish, so not sure why it should! For me it's because he has made such a stink about not being King Henrik, and I can't help but think his retirement has to do with that. I could be wayyyyy off base. :flowers:

Me too. I hope we are all wrong, but I'm sure the Queen misses spousal support, a pat on the back, discussions about amusing or interesting things that happened on their engagements. Of course that may happen privately anyway, but being alone on big occasions can't be fun for her now.

She might be really happy thinking " thank god I don't have to worry about what he will say anymore. " I hope so anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Or the Queen may be happy because her husband is able to enjoy his twilight years travelling and spending more time with his beloved grandchildren and remaining siblings, after almost half a century serving her and Denmark.

She may be happy that her husband (and it was always clear how deeply they love each other) is able to do something she can't, because of the way she sees her role as Queen (a job for life).

But I understand everything related to the Prince Consort of Denmark will always be received with negativity and snarky comments here.

I know exactly what you mean. When the Queen was in Oslo to celebrate TT.MM Silver Jubilee, it was sad to see the Norwegian King and Queen walk side by side, King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia side by side, with Queen Margrete walking in between, alone. She really looked alone, I almost hesitate to say it, but she looked, and looks widowed, on current public engagements.

I wish they had scaled down a little on public engagements together, so there was room for maybe a tad more personal time in times ahead, but in all fairness, most royals are good at balancing their time and enjoying their hobbies and holidays as well.

Whatever the reason, it just isn't a good look for a partner to leave his wife so alone on all these occasions, but she carries herself regally and superbly, even if she does it alone these days.

It is usual for Senior Public Servants to have known retirement benefits, commensurate with their rank and service. They don't have to prove popularity and have a compliant nature.
No one would suggest giving an ex Prime Minister less because he had a higher wage and entitlements while in office. No one would expect a teacher to forego retirement payments if they happen be heir to a wealthy fortune nor if they were to win Tattslotto.
I am suggesting that there should be sensitive thought and good planning so that there is no uncertainty for Royals and the public.
Denmark seems to have a knee jerk way of reacting to divorce and now retirement payments for the DRF.

I agree. He is an old man way passed retirement age. He should receive some sort of retirement income - plain and simple.

It bothers me too. I have very much resented that for so long, Prince Henrik not only made his objections to not having *even more privilege* than he already has known, but that he's appropriated the language of gender equality to do so.

The man has not ever used his considerable privilege to try to make gender inequality better. He hasn't advocated for rape victims or domestic abuse survivors, worked with groups that work to educate girls living under oppressive regimes, used his voice to object to child marriage... and he enjoys an enormous platform where he could have done a tremendous amount of good.

He only talks about gender equality when it's to whinge about himself, and his perceived "injustice" of only being the THIRD most important member of the Danish royal family.

Good riddance to his bloviating.

It bothers me too. I have very much resented that for so long, Prince Henrik not only made his objections to not having *even more privilege* than he already has known, but that he's appropriated the language of gender equality to do so.

The man has not ever used his considerable privilege to try to make gender inequality better. He hasn't advocated for rape victims or domestic abuse survivors, worked with groups that work to educate girls living under oppressive regimes, used his voice to object to child marriage... and he enjoys an enormous platform where he could have done a tremendous amount of good.

He only talks about gender equality when it's to whinge about himself, and his perceived "injustice" of only being the THIRD most important member of the Danish royal family.

Good riddance to his bloviating.

As your life comes to close, IMO, a person is entitled to slow down. No, he never took on a cause, but something should have been done about that a long time ago. He is a cranky old man, but still entitled to enjoy what life he has left. He shouldn't be slammed now; Margrethe and/or the Danish public should have demanded more from him many years ago. It's a mute point now, the past can't be changed and he shouldn't be punished for it now. If he really believes he should have been King Consort, his retirement is nothing but a blessing. He may be more feeble than any of us realize.

As your life comes to close, IMO, a person is entitled to slow down. No, he never took on a cause, but something should have been done about that a long time ago. He is a cranky old man, but still entitled to enjoy what life he has left. He shouldn't be slammed now; Margrethe and/or the Danish public should have demanded more from him many years ago. It's a mute point now, the past can't be changed and he shouldn't be punished for it now. If he really believes he should have been King Consort, his retirement is nothing but a blessing. He may be more feeble than any of us realize.

He very well may be experiencing senility. That would explain some of his recent erratic behavior, and if so, I wish his family the strength they need to work with someone in decline. It's difficult.

But for now, we have to accept Henrik's public statements as his opinions, and they've gone back for a long time. It will never sit well with me for a privileged wealthy man to complain about not having enough privilege due to gender inequality, while ignoring that elsewhere, women are dying for being women.

He very well may be experiencing senility. That would explain some of his recent erratic behavior, and if so, I wish his family the strength they need to work with someone in decline. It's difficult.

But for now, we have to accept Henrik's public statements as his opinions, and they've gone back for a long time. It will never sit well with me for a privileged wealthy man to complain about not having enough privilege due to gender inequality, while ignoring that elsewhere, women are dying for being women.

That's it, perfectly stated.

He won't go down in history as a great man (unless we do come to learn there is dementia involved)

A note in Billed Bladet #08, 2016 - that is today.

Mention that while QMII is in Norway these days, PH is on the Portuguese island of Madeira. Along with a number of friends he is staying at Hotel Riu Palace Madeira. (The stay is confirmed by one of the friends mentioned below.)

Every day PH and the friends have been seen playing bridge.

The friends are:
Fritz Schur - (who after the death of Mærsk McKinney-Møller now handles the investments of at least the Regent Couple. He doesn't seem to be close to M&F though).
Patricia and Jacob Asbæk,
Claudia Sehested-Juul (nobility).
Lena Lüttichau,
Kristen Schrøder,
Jens Münter,
Plums and Ivar Carstenschiold (nobility).

- I list the names because as far as I can tell they are mainly PH's friends, more than QMII's friends.
If the members of the Heering and Wedell families were with him, then I think it would be considerably less likely that we are talking about a de facto separation. That option as you know has also been speculated about.

Last edited:
:previous: You are right. :ermm:
I blame the government. (And that's only half a joke! Which you may learn next week...).

A note in Billed Bladet #08, 2016 - that is today.

Mention that while QMII is in Norway these days, PH is on the Portuguese island of Madeira. Along with a number of friends he is staying at Hotel Riu Palace Madeira. (The stay is confirmed by one of the friends mentioned below.)

Every day PH and the friends have been seen playing bridge.

The friends are:
Fritz Schur - (who after the death of Mærsk McKinney-Møller now handles the investments of at least the Regent Couple. He doesn't seem to be close to M&F though).
Lena Lüttichau,
Kristen Schrøder,
Jens Münter,

- I list the names because as far as I can tell they are mainly PH's friends, more than QMII's friends.
If the members of the Heering and Wedell families were with him, then I think it would be considerably less likely that we are talking about a de facto separation. That option as you know has also been speculated about.

thank you :flowers:
So first some days in Naples, than three weeks in Egypt and now some time in Portugal?
so much for spending time with his grandchildren lol :whistling:

he is obviously well enough to travel but yet let his wife go alone to the Norwegian celebrations last month :ermm:- that is not very kingly behavior ;)

It will be interesting to see if he is around for the traditional photo sessions. In the past there has been some lovely photos with his grandchildren.

The fact he is playing bridge daily would seem to count against the dementia theory.

Curiouser and curiouser. I just hope his absence isn't causing any extra stress or inconvenience for Margrethe. I am very fond of that lady.

It will be interesting to see if he is around for the traditional photo sessions. In the past there has been some lovely photos with his grandchildren.

I agree.
Some of my favorite moments with his grand kids :flowers:
https://40.media.tumblr.com/e7e4703e38a8407dd768e5d5c75fe8c2/tumblr_mqo5t0Yvh91qkoeepo1_500.png
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/dd/dd/e2/dddde23da2bd7adb20311768635fdec0.jpg
(poor Vincent lol)
http://www.europeanroyaltyandnobility.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/©RPE-467A1002b.jpg
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...phine-of-denmark-view-the-picture-id481779088

The friends are:
Lena Lüttichau,
Kristen Schrøder,
Jens Münter,
Lena Lüttichau is former L-i-W for QMII :flowers:

I may be wrong but i think QMII and PH (oops sorry i meant KH) may have lived separate lives for many years but is close friends and turns up for work and family occasions together.

They both seems to enjoy life apart from each other and it seems that this situation is not new to any of them, except that Margrethe mostly works alone now.

I may be totally wrong but this is my impression.

A lot of older people with means live apart, or apart at least part time.

:previous:
:previous: Thanks, FasterB. :)

:previous: I've been thinking about that one too. I think they still love each other, or at the very least did until very recently, if the "separation-theory" is true.
But if you look at higher nobility anno 1955, which is around the formative years of both QMII and PH, and add a good deal of conservatism (both QMII and PH can be pretty conservative!), wasn't it quite normal that people in those circles lived relatively separate lives?
I.e. they may still have loved each other and been intimate, but on a day to day basis they lived pretty separate lives and even traveled separately quite often.
Benedikte and Prince Richard also seems to have lived like that since they were married - even if Prince Richard can be something of a... handful.

The press is still keeping a vigilant eye on the whereabouts of PH.

Here is an article from BT (Thanks, Nordic :flowers:). Henrik har været væk siden januar: Regentparret lever hver for sig - Special | www.bt.dk
Where it is determined that PH has been away of four holidays (destinations) for six out of the first eight weeks of 2016.
Now he has returned to DK, but QMII is away in Norway.
So basically they haven's seen each other for more than two months.

DRF-expert, Lars Hovbakke Sørensen, describes it as "unusual", but concludes that PH will not use what remaining strength he has on being a stay-at-home grandad.

Back
Top Bottom