Prince Harry's Tour of Duty in Afghanistan: December 2007-February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it an insult, every member of the forces who serves in a war zone is incredibly brave, it is just that the majority of people couldn't care less about soldier A.

I agree with you but obviously the PM saw an opportunity to put some emphasis on soldier A (and on himself by mentioning it) which I find an insult. Harry is brave indeed and does his duty there as anyone else, no need to single him out. That's just another cheap attention seeking action from Gordon. Same goes for David Cameron, by the way!

Oh please...they were all foaming at the mouth to break this story.:ermm: I wish they would just own up...i still think they should've even waited to start airing all their footage until he was out of there. No one even knows if he got out yet and the rest of his crew were moved around too for their own safety. This whole thing is real sad to me...
They were waiting for Harry to return safely, as had been agreed. It is just a great pity that due to the selfish action of an individual, lives have been put in greater danger, including US troops. Fine for Drudge, sat in an office far removed from the dangers faced every day by all the allies! Lets dump him out there and see how he likes it!

More than anything, I feel incredibly sad for Harry.

I agree with you but obviously the PM saw an opportunity to put some emphasis on soldier A (and on himself by mentioning it) which I find an insult. Harry is brave indeed and does his duty there as anyone else, no need to single him out. That's just another cheap attention seeking action from Gordon. Same goes for David Cameron, by the way!
IMO, Brown and Cameron saw this as an opportunity to praise, through the actions of one, all the men and women out there. How often do the service personnel 'make the news', unless they are coming home in a box.

He certainly puts to shame, the men and women who state that 'it was not what they joined up for'!:rolleyes:

IMO, Brown and Cameron saw this as an opportunity to praise, through the actions of one, all the men and women out there. How often do the service personnel 'make the news', unless they are coming home in a box.

He certainly puts to shame, the men and women who state that 'it was not what they joined up for'!:rolleyes:

I can't remember having seen so many articles before about what life at the front lines in Afghanistan really means. That alone was worth sending Harry, so that this aspect of the war against terror becomes part of public perception.

Prince Harry is to be withdrawn from Afghanistan after news broke of him serving there on the front line, the Ministry of Defence has said

BBC NEWS | UK | Harry withdrawn from Afghanistan

BBC NEWS | The Editors

More recently, on Tuesday, the German newspaper Bild ran a diary story asking "where's Prince Harry?" and speculating that the gossip was that "he'd gone to war". We agreed that while the story was speculative and confined to diary pages, that we would not break the agreement we'd reached with the MoD.
Then yesterday, the Drudge Report - the online US website famous for breaking the story of Bill Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky - put the story on its front page. The game was up. We, and the other broadcasters, agreed with the Ministry of Defence that the story was out and it would be wrong not to tell our audiences what had been going on.

Perhaps the Drudge Report should be more accurately named the Sludge Report. :bang:

I wish the BBC hadn't lent such importance to the Drudge Report. No doubt Matt Drudge is crowing in his his own air of self-importance and is no doubt will motiivate him to find anything else he can drudge up no matter the propriety of publishing it.

The Ministry of Defence today confirmed after reports appeared on a US website that Prince Harry has been serving with the British Army in Afghanistan for more than two months.

The Prince of Wales - Prince Harry serves in Afghanistan

At least he will get his campaign medal, although I would think that is small compensation.

I was rather outraged at some peoples attitude, so I posted the below on the BBC:

And why do we all think that we have any right to know any of this? We don't! It's that simple. There is no reason that we need to know that a particular soldier id on active duty or not. It is not a case of needing to know this news because it might affect your life in one way or another. This is just "news" because we want to know, not because we need to know.

So those that are saying shame on the journalists for making a gentlemans agreement not to satiate our need to know every single detail should be ashamed of themselves for their entitlement attitude. You are not entitled to anything!

Good on the BBC for recognizing that although their jobs are as journalists, there are some considerations that are higher, and some things that just should not be newsworthy just because they are popular. At least not until after the fact.

I think it is such a same that it was reported and that has a result he is being pulled. Obviousley the MOD is looking out not only for Harry but for the others in the area, which is the most important thing (one of the things that really shocked me about the Drudge outing is that they not only said he was serving in Afghanistan but they gave they area he was working in). However, I watched some of the interviews with him last night on the BBC website and he just seemed so excited about the whole thing.

I'm rpoud of Harry for serving in Afganinstan and fighting the terrorists.

But I must admit, I never noticed he was missing from England and therefore wasn't wondering where he was. I must admit I was surprised that the UK press had an agreement not to run any stories about Harry's tour until it was over. From the US news this morning, it sounds like they kept up their end of the bargain - that it was an Austrailian magazine, a German newspaper and an American blogger who leaked the news and blew Harry's cover. But as Empress has stated, did we really need to know? What will be news worthy is when ALL our troops come home!

I'm disgusted with Matt Drudge for the front page spectacle he made of this when so many lives were endangered by it. Truthfully I must admit that I read the Drudge Report almost daily, mostly for all of the links on it to other media. It's convenient. But I am done with him. I am curious, however, as to how he found out. There should be an investigation to who the original leak was so they can also share in the blame.:bang:

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. Prince Harry learned to be a soldier, he wants to do what soldiers do. It's like studying to be a doctor and not healing.
As if it's not bad enough that Prince Harry had been prevented from doing many "normal" things because of his position. Now that he's had the chance to prove that he can be something other than a "party" boy and contribute to humanity somehow, he's got to drop everything and leave his duties as an officer because some people CAN'T KEEP THEIR TRAP SHUT!
:mad: :furious: :angry:
A true shame is when a journalist can't understand the concept of "the bigger picture" and opts instead to gain noteriety for letting the cat out of the bag and getting paid for it. Nevermind that whether anyone likes it or not, Prince Harry is a symbol and an obvious target for terrorists. So what if they kept him being deployed a secret? I would have too! It was for his safety and the safety of his platoon to prevent an unfortunate tragedy. Suppose something would've happened to him? Britain would've been outraged and retaliation could've been a possibility, lengthening the war, putting more lives at stake, more millions of dollars spent, etc, etc...I think journalists sometimes need to stop and think about the greater good.

Considering the American press held on to this information it's appalling that Matt Drudge felt himself entitled to break the news not surprising through.

Ahyes, integrity. An alien concept where certain internet news contraptions are concerned. The only word that is polite enough and at the same time accurate enough for the unlamented and unplincipled Mr. Drudge is meretricious. And cheap at that.

I think if he wants to really stay then just let him...or relocate him to a safer place where he can work. He could work near borders...I don't see why not. They send Angelina Jolie to the borders in Iraq...I'm sure he can find something to do there.

I cannot believe that the press leaked where Prince Harry was.. It is very unfair to him....He was serving his country and minding his own business. To tell that he was in Afghanistan really puts him at risk....The press should have known better!

The difference is that Angelina Jolie is only there on a goodwill mission. Harry is an enemy combatant, most likely involved in the loss of troops for the other side.

Well all I can say is shame on the media. But let us hope that Harry won't lose his sense of duty and turn into his Uncle Andrew.

If we believe some of the stories about Harry that come up now - like he enjoyed the Spartan life as soldier because it's the closest he ever came to normal life, that he doesn't want to live in England etc. - well, there's no stopping him from becoming site foreman (one should not forget that he is serving as an officer there!) on a building site in Africa or whereabouts for let's say a bridge or water works.... They've got enough dirt out there to last a lifetime, there's comradeship, a bit of danger and you help the people on doing your duty. Or leading a team of diamond diggers in DeBeers employ... :D

Okay, he could move to Scotland or Wales?

I went on thinking about a good profession for Harry and thought about one topic where here in Germany you can even get an univeristy degree in (lately): rescue management. With it, you can become an engineer for rescue techniques, you can become a manager for catastrophe units, you can become commander of a firebrigade or for THW (technical help units in Germany).

So there he could use his lust for danger and his willingness to help others, bring in his commanding abilities and do soemthing positive for his own countryman. I'll never remember how good Andrew looked, how sincere and capable, how much a Royal officer, when they interviewed him in 1992 after he had engaged himself in helping to rescue Windsor from the fire. So there are such catastrophe units in the UK, right? And they need people to actually work for them, commanding them (well, Harry could be their Royal patron in addition). He showed as a cadet that he can learn and pass exams if he is interested in the topic. He might not be as bright as William, but it should be enough.

Plus: I bet we'll only see the real Harry after his father became king and William has married and filled the nursery with heirs to the throne Nr. 2 to 6, maybe? Then Harry can feel free from being the son of the heir and in line himself be just Mr. Windsor, rescue worker.

I can see his frustration...I actually believe that he will come back and be kind of depressed. I mean talk about going from one extreme to another, and unlike his brother he doesn't have the next in line thing to focus on. This seemed really important to his identity in a way...it's a shame.

prince harry

This whole thing is really sad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom