Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William could marry a commoner, but he has to be very careful because he knows, better than anyone, what a mistake will mean to the monarchy. Whether an aristocrat or not, the woman has to be suitable and ready to sacrifice her entire life to public service, endure nonstop media attention and bear heirs to the throne.

It won't be easy for him to find that person.

this talk about not marrying someone within your own social status just goes to show how some people can be extraordinary snobs and how close minded they are. william should choose for love and nothing but love. not social status, not culture, not intelligence, not looks, not religion. if he truly loves the woman he marries then he will support her regardless of all these things and will help her "learn the ropes".

Duchess said:
this talk about not marrying someone within your own social status just goes to show how some people can be extraordinary snobs and how close minded they are. william should choose for love and nothing but love. not social status, not culture, not intelligence, not looks, not religion. if he truly loves the woman he marries then he will support her regardless of all these things and will help her "learn the ropes".

Unfortunately, William cannot disregard all of the factors you mention and marry just for love. He's not a normal person down the street, but a future King.

is there a law stating that william can't abidicate? if he wants to marry for love and love alone then he should. it's been done before and the world did not come to an abrupt end. it was called a "crisis" but the monarchy continued and if william doesn't want to be king then it should be his choice and if that happens then i'm sure the world won't come to an abrupt end this time either. as we've seen in the past even when some of these factors are taken into consideration they don't work out, as a matter of fact they proved to be horribly wrong.

Duchess said:
is there a law stating that william can't abidicate? if he wants to marry for love and love alone then he should. it's been done before and the world did not come to an abrupt end. it was called a "crisis" but the monarchy continued and if william doesn't want to be king then it should be his choice and if that happens then i'm sure the world won't come to an abrupt end this time either. as we've seen in the past even when some of these factors are taken into consideration they don't work out, as a matter of fact they proved to be horribly wrong.

It could happen, but I highly doubt William would be as foolish and selfish as his great-great uncle Edward was. It's his duty to be King under the Act of Settlement and he should have no problem finding an appropriate woman to marry and bear children with.

We're not living in the 1930's anymore.

if he truly loves the woman he marries then he will support her regardless of all these things and will help her "learn the ropes".

The point of being Consort is that she be the support system, not him. He's the one who is going to deal with the burden of being king and it would best that he marry someone who knows that and can handle the situation that she gets herself into. I believe someone with a strong educational background would easily be able to look at the situation objectively and act appropriately with a sense of realistic perspective. He would need someone with the ability ot sustain themselves emotionally, preferably someone who has already proven her mettle in life.

felicia said:
Yeah I am. I want the monarchy to be as prestigious and royal as it once was. It's time for another Princess to enter the family, and Theodora is the most suitable one. But I'd be happy with Madeleine and many others as well.

Yeah, that! ;)

I think exactly like you. Royalty must be prestigious as it once was or die...If Royals becomes "common people" as me, you or my nieghbor, they could be considered superfluous. Why having a King if he is like my uncle? And if they doesn't even rule their countries any more, Royals could be a real waste of money and attention. :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

BeatrixFan said:
In the words of Lady Montdore, "Whoever invented love should be shot". Theodora and William would be a perfect match. Look at Grand Duke Jean and Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium. An arranged marriage but they learned to love one another and were perfect for Luxembourg.

In an interview before her death, she stated that she decided to marry him before the higher ups knew anything about it.

I don't see the majority of UK citizens being happy with a future Queen from a criminal background or with no intelligence (unable to string a sentence together).
As Williams wife she should have a reasonable amount of intelligence, an education and be able to converse with anyone and everyone she meets.

this talk about not marrying someone within your own social status just goes to show how some people can be extraordinary snobs and how close minded they are.

To most people, it is called being realistic!

Skydragon said:
I don't see the majority of UK citizens being happy with a future Queen from a criminal background or with no intelligence (unable to string a sentence together).
As Williams wife she should have a reasonable amount of intelligence, an education and be able to converse with anyone and everyone she meets.

Openmindedness can be a good thing. However, we must be realistic as you say. One simply cannot just marry "anybody".

Duchess said:
is there a law stating that william can't abidicate?

William has nothing to abdicate. He is no King. He helds no function of State. He has no peerage. He has nothing except his birthright.

branchg said:
It could happen, but I highly doubt William would be as foolish and selfish as his great-great uncle Edward was. It's his duty to be King under the Act of Settlement and he should have no problem finding an appropriate woman to marry and bear children with.

We're not living in the 1930's anymore.

there's nothing foolish or selfish about giving up this "opportunity" to be with the person he loves. just because it says on a piece of paper that he's entitled to the position doesn't mean he has to take it. people on the outside think being the monarch, or a member of this RF is all great and wonderful. diana found out the hard way that it wasn't....the scrutiny is unending and there's no such thing as privacy. the possibility of william not becoming king is unlikely i agree but if anyone tells him he must "marry for duty" first...he only has to remember his mother and father and how well "marrying for duty" worked.

I know what you're saying, but being who he is and knowing his duty are the reality for William. He can certainly find a woman to love and marry, as long as she is suitable and able to handle the immense responsibility of being his wife.

He has plenty of time to get it right.

Tzu An said:
The point of being Consort is that she be the support system, not him. He's the one who is going to deal with the burden of being king and it would best that he marry someone who knows that and can handle the situation that she gets herself into. I believe someone with a strong educational background would easily be able to look at the situation objectively and act appropriately with a sense of realistic perspective. He would need someone with the ability ot sustain themselves emotionally, preferably someone who has already proven her mettle in life.

they need to support each other...both emotionally and professionally. i may be wrong but the Queen has little formal education and learned most of what she knows "on the job" and she's done wonderfully. IMO emotional stability and having someone that she can turn to for guidance, ie the man that's being formally trained for this future role, are the things that will determine whether she's able to handle things.

Skydragon said:

i'm always amazed at how many of your countrymen/woman have given you the huge responsibility of speaking for them. i never mentioned anything about criminals that's something you pulled out of the air but even socialites and aristocrats can be criminals. as for having "no intelligence" diana was the first one to admit that she was "thick as a plank" and the world adored her and the majority of the british wanted her to be the next Queen. intelligence? i mentioned in another post that, and correct me if i'm wrong, the Queen has little formal education and she's learned most of what she knows during her reign. you don't have to an aristocrat or wealthy to be popular. being realistic is knowing that class and social standing do not make the person.

Last edited:
branchg said:
I know what you're saying, but being who he is and knowing his duty are the reality for William. He can certainly find a woman to love and marry, as long as she is suitable and able to handle the immense responsibility of being his wife.

He has plenty of time to get it right.

you're definitely right about having the time to get it right and i hope he doesn't bow to pressure as his father felt he had to. i agree she should be suitable and able to handle immense responsibility.

But isn't the idea of getting it right entails pressure? Everyone their own idea of what constitutes "the right one". Also, what would be the litmus test for if he did get it right or not:
- by the fact the couple live the till-death-do-us-apart, or
- how popular the princess will be, or
- how happy the couple are throughout their marriage, or
- on a twisted note, if anyone got caught cheating or rumour to cheat,
- etc.
There are hundreds of ways to judge if a marriage is successful.

When you're a future King, there is always going to be pressure, public and private, in your life. That's why you need the right kind of wife to support you.

Duchess said:
i'm always amazed at how many of your countrymen/woman have given you the huge responsibility of speaking for them. i never mentioned anything about criminals that's something you pulled out of the air but even socialites and aristocrats can be criminals. as for having "no intelligence" diana was the first one to admit that she was "thick as a plank" and the world adored her and the majority of the british wanted her to be the next Queen. intelligence? i mentioned in another post that, and correct me if i'm wrong, the Queen has little formal education and she's learned most of what she knows during her reign. you don't have to an aristocrat or wealthy to be popular. being realistic is knowing that class and social standing do not make the person.

Skydragon never suggested that she was speaking for all of us Brits, only for herself - although, while she and I have had our disagreements in the past, I whole-heartedly agree with her now. William is a future king, and practicality has to play some role in any marriage - a young woman from the working class would have a very hard time adjusting to royal life. Also, there is a huge difference between education and intelligence - I highly doubt anyone could truly believe that Queen Elizabeth has ruled so successfully for so many years without intelligence, whatever education she may have had.

Duchess said:
i never mentioned .....

Well we clearly have different standards but, you already knew that.

HRH Elizabeth seems to have answered your post very well but, I would add that popularity does not always make a good royal and the Queen was educated by the finest tutors at home.

HRH Elizabeth said:
Skydragon never suggested that she was speaking for all of us Brits, only for herself - although, while she and I have had our disagreements in the past, I whole-heartedly agree with her now. William is a future king, and practicality has to play some role in any marriage - a young woman from the working class would have a very hard time adjusting to royal life. Also, there is a huge difference between education and intelligence - I highly doubt anyone could truly believe that Queen Elizabeth has ruled so successfully for so many years without intelligence, whatever education she may have had.

if you go back and look at her post that i replied to she was said she was speaking for "the majority of UK citizens" which is truly an amazing thing. i agree that Queen Elizabeth is highly intelligent.

Skydragon said:
Well we clearly have different standards but, you already knew that.

HRH Elizabeth seems to have answered your post very well but, I would add that popularity does not always make a good royal and the Queen was educated by the finest tutors at home.

we do indeed have different standards however i never suggested that someone with a criminal background would make a good wife for william. are you suggesting that aristocrats and socialites can't be criminals? i'm well aware of the fact that the Queen had the finest tutors but that doesn't change the fact that she has limited formal education. did she go on to university? no she didn't but she's done a fine job as sovereign and most of that has come from first hand experience.

Last edited:
Duchess said:
if you go back and look at her post that i replied to she was said she was speaking for "the majority of UK citizens" which is truly an amazing thing. i agree that Queen Elizabeth is highly intelligent.

'I don't see the majority of UK citizens being happy.' is what I wrote and presumably what you were replying to and nowhere does it say that I was speaking for the majority of UK citizens.

Could we move on, please? This is beginning to sound like a school playground.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

You are right, sorry Elspeth. :flowers:

Other William/marriage related issues - do you all suppose he'll marry at Westminster or St. Pauls?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking St. Pauls.

Well..on BBCAmerica they have been showing a bunch of Royalty Specials today. I know these are repeats but its the first time I have seen them. I won't even the discuss the Andrew & Fergie: Behind the Palace Doors on this thread (it was simply awful) but now they have this ridiculous fluff docudrama on titled "Wiliiam's Women." Its telling me NOTHING that I haven't learned on this board...anyone seen it?

Zonk1189 said:
now they have this ridiculous fluff docudrama on titled "Wiliiam's Women." Its telling me NOTHING that I haven't learned on this board...anyone seen it?

I've seen it. It is excruciatingly ridiculous and lame. I firmly believe I lost several points off my IQ from watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom