Pre-Wedding Information for Victoria and Daniel's Wedding

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been on here in ages! I'm so excited and happy for Victoria.

Yesterday the heads of the different units that will form the "line" of people standing along the cortege at the wedding met to reconnoiter the so far secret route. More then 6000 people will stand along the cortege route, of those 2775 is from the military, 1900 from the home-guard, ca 750 from vollontear groups, 630 from civilian organisations (whereof 500 scouts). As another tribute to the couple the airforce will do a overfly and the marine will parade with a number of ships.
Kortege av militärer vid kronprinsessbröllopet i juni | SvD

critics say no for victoria be walking down the aile
its no tradition in sweden to do so
expressen

in denmark alexandra and marie had their father by teir side walking down the aile when they got married to joachim (of course not at the same time ;-))

mary walked with her father when she married frederik

mette-marit and Hakoon walked to gather
märtha-louise walked with her father the king
silvia and carl gustaf walked togather

how about the kings sisters did they have their grandfather at their side?

critics say no for victoria be walking down the aile
its no tradition in sweden to do so
expressen

in denmark alexandra and marie had their father by teir side walking down the aile when they got married to joachim (of course not at the same time ;-))

mary walked with her father when she married frederik

mette-marit and Hakoon walked to gather
märtha-louise walked with her father the king
silvia and carl gustaf walked togather

how about the kings sisters did they have their grandfather at their side?

Princesses Désirée and Margarethe where accompanied by their grandfather and Princess Ingrid in 1935 by her father. Don't know about Princess Birgitta but her religous marriage took place in Germany.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Victoria walk up the aisle on the arm of her father, both of them decked out in their best finery. I don't see anything wrong with having Daniel standing at the altar watching his bride walking toward him. It doesn't mean that Victoria is property her father is passing to him, or whatever it used to mean hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

It's just terribly romantic and old-fashioned and with some things, I'm a sucker for it.

Times have changed, like how women are viewed, is the reason why she can't/shouldn't. They do have a point in this, a future queen (which is the whole reason shes having a state wedding) can't have her father giving her away to her husband when there is not (from my understanding) cultural reason behind it. As much fuss as there is about the wedding being paid with tax dollars, going against this tradition isn't the brightest idea if it something that is deemed as a bad thing in sweden. But when was this even announced or even mentioned? They didn't say what Daniel thinks of this though.

Times have changed, like how women are viewed, is the reason why she can't/shouldn't. They do have a point in this, a future queen (which is the whole reason shes having a state wedding) can't have her father giving her away to her husband when there is not (from my understanding) cultural reason behind it. As much fuss as there is about the wedding being paid with tax dollars, going against this tradition isn't the brightest idea if it something that is deemed as a bad thing in sweden. But when was this even announced or even mentioned? They didn't say what Daniel thinks of this though.
I don´t think that Victoria should be given away by the King - it sends completely the wrong signal and even though it seems they have done this in the royal family before it´s not the tradition in the swedish church - there it´s tradition that the bride and groom walks together down the aile. Today there was a priest writing at DN debate site (the biggest and most respected debate forum in Sweden - many politicians use this way to forward their message) where she urges Victoria to reconsider beacuse it´s not the swedish tradition and that the act where the couple walks down the aile together is an old and powerful signal that swedish womens isn´t the property of any father that can be handed over to a husband, but it´s becoming more and more common beacuse the influence of American movies where the bride is walking down the aile with here father.
”Victoria måste tänka om när det gäller bröllopet” - DN.se

Just because the bride walking down the aisle with her father used to signify the father passing "property" off to the new husband doesn't mean it signifies that now. Times have changed. The same as wearing white and a veil used to signify virginity, but many brides choose to wear white whether they're virgins or not. The symbolism of these things have changed as the culture as changed.

My friend was walked down the aisle by her father, but she certainly never viewed herself as property and neither did anyone else. If Victoria wants her father to walk her down the aisle, that's no one's decision but hers and no one has the right to criticize her for that -- it's her wedding, not yours. She's not telling the world she's property to be now owned by Daniel.

The difference between brides wearing white is that it's in their tradition to do so of that country or culture. But in this case it is not in the tradition to do so, so it is viewed differently, hence it should not be done.

The difference between brides wearing white is that it's in their tradition to do so of that country or culture.

The symbolism of wearing white as a virgin bride has nothing to do with any particular country. Nowadays, a brides sexual history has nothing to do with what color dress she decides to wear because it's no longer considered an important thing to be a virgin at the altar. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago it was, because it meant that there could be no question as to the legitimacy of any children produced in the marriage. When you're dealing with lands and properties and money, knowing you have legitimate heirs is important -- today, not so much.

The reason I mentioned it was because it's another old tradition connected to weddings that has changed in meaning because the cultures have changed. The father walking the bride down the aisle doesn't mean what it used to hundreds of years ago, so trying to say that if Victoria decides to do something different, she's somehow announcing herself as property being given away, is completely and totally false. It's her wedding! If she wants to cartwheel down the aisle to Thriller by Michael Jackson, that's her right. She won't do that obviously, but my point is -- just because it's not what is typically done doesn't mean it can't be done or that something is wrong with her if she chooses to do it. Can't her wedding be played out the way she wants it to, without people second-guessing her every step of the way?

When did I say that wearing white is still connected to virginity? All I meant was the reason women wear white now is it's apart of their tradition and its an accepted practice, where as in sweden the father is not and is seen in sweden is/can be taken in a negative light. If it was a swedish tradition then there would be no problem with it, just as in the U.S. there is no problem with the father walking the daughter down but the fact is that in sweden it isn't.

This isn't an attack on fathers walking down the bride, its about it be against the culture, and so out of context can be given a different meaning. I have no problem with the fathers involvement when it's appropriate! When the princes in the U.K. get married, no one will mind the women being walked down with the father because its apart of their wedding culture. I have a friend who wants a red dress, because in her culture red is what the bride wears, it depends on the culture of those involved.

Here is "The People's Wedding Cake", presented by Günther Koerffer (the man who will be one of the five men making the actual wedding cake) yesterday. This cake will be sold all over Sweden, starting on May 19th, as part of the wedding celebrations.

ImageShack Album - 3 images (ANP)

And as to what the actual wedding cake will be? "Big, white and tasty."

The church looks much better than before. I was wondering what kind of wedding would take place in such a dark cathedral. Glad they brightened it up a bit.

The church is magical, always has been. But now it's divine.
It's going to be so beautiful for Victoria and Daniel this summer.

Daniel and Victoria are going to have a beautiful wedding. I can't wait to see it all finally come together.

whoa that church is amazing. I am excited to see the wedding. I heard somewhere that it was going to be 12 million, that seems crazy

I would also prefer if Victoria walks down the aisle with Daniel and not with the King.

The father walking his daughter down the aisle is just hollywood kitsch to me. As it is the same with tossing the bridal bouquet and personal vows. To me that is not part of the tradition and i can't see why somebody should adopt it, if it is not part of the tradition in sweden.
Victoria is not a young bride with over 30. To show that she and Daniel are mature persons and their wedding is a mature and well-considered decision, they should go together. The father should be part of the audience, because he is not part of the marriage/agreement.

Greetings Fellow Wedding Fans! I know I never post on here, but certainly enjoy checking in from time to time to see all the fantastic photos you all collect. I have no idea how you find all the things out that you do, but it's appreciated. :)

So the greatly anticipated wedding is finally approaching and I'm curious if anyone here knows whether this will be broadcast on American TV? (We have hundreds of cable channels, surely one will cover it?!) Have googled around several times but come up empty-handed. :( How does one find out such a thing? Any ideas?

I suspect that MSNBC will most likely air some live scenes "by the way there is a royal wedding going on in Sweden at the moment let's check it out"... As far as broadcasting the entire wedding like they did with Felipe and Letizia's wedding a few year back probably not. I assume they did that to cater the Hispanic/Latino audience. :flowers:

Who knows they may just broadcast the entire thing totally unannounced. Like they do with everything :rolleyes:

Greetings Fellow Wedding Fans! I know I never post on here, but certainly enjoy checking in from time to time to see all the fantastic photos you all collect. I have no idea how you find all the things out that you do, but it's appreciated. :)

So the greatly anticipated wedding is finally approaching and I'm curious if anyone here knows whether this will be broadcast on American TV? (We have hundreds of cable channels, surely one will cover it?!) Have googled around several times but come up empty-handed. :( How does one find out such a thing? Any ideas?

I sincerely doubt the wedding will be broadcast in the United States. There's no reason. The wedding of Felipe and Letizia was broadcast on the Spanish networks, but that was more than likely to cater to the audience that would watch those networks. British royal weddings are broadcast, mostly because Americans have a fascination with them. I remember watching Edward and Sophie's wedding.

The news stations might mention something (CNN, MSNBC, Fox News) but that's it. Look for information on streams you can watch online -- that's what I'm going to do.

I doubt it will be broadcasted live by major news stations. They might flash some parts of the wedding but not the entire ceremony. Royals are not famous in the US except for Grace Kelly and the British RF. I think we may have to just rely on the videos posted in YouTube and other sites. Does the RF release an updated wedding list of guests? Will all the crown couples of Europe attend the ceremony. I sure hope they will attend the wedding.

Please pardon my ignorance but if the wedding is taking place at 15.30 in Sweden this is the same time here in the UK? And I'm assuming the best place to watch it would be on the internet.

6 weeks!

Please pardon my ignorance but if the wedding is taking place at 15.30 in Sweden this is the same time here in the UK? And I'm assuming the best place to watch it would be on the internet.

6 weeks!

Stockholm is an hour ahead of London. So i will be 14:30. :)
Yes possible the internet, I personally think it will only be covered by newspapers reporting on the attendance on Charles and Camilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom