Norway's National Day, May 17: 2003 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
some screenshots of all the family with Milly Kakao :flowers:
Picture 1 - Picture 2 - Picture 3 - Picture 4 - Picture 5 - Picture 6 - Picture 7 - Picture 8 - Picture 9 - Picture 10 - Picture 11

It's the first time for Sverre Magnus to go in the children's parade, he is now in second grade at Jansløkka school.
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10110236
Google Translation
Picture of Sverre Magnus in the parade: http://pub.cdn.tv2.no/multimedia/TV2/archive/01052/sverremagnus_1052644i.jpg

video in this article http://www.nrk.no/17mai/kronprinsfamilien-pa-skaugum-1.11026395

Last edited:
Very nice pix of a very nice family and Milly Kakao ribbon is very nice too

So many lovely pix with the children. I am delighted !

Yes it was indeed,were any members of her family present or was it just the Princess herself?

It is indeed nice to see her. I'd like to know about her family too.

Pictures of Martha Louise and her family are amazing. I had no idea the celebrations of the norwegian national day in London were that big

Last edited:

I thought that too! Well, the ceremony is in the early morning, the kids probably woke up very early and standing there for a while is probably a bit boring for them. So, I'll give it a go at them opening their mouths. But it's not the first time I notice, specially about Sverre, that the kids seem to have a, er, relaxed education in terms of manners

National Day 2014

I know it's still half a year until the next National Day, but next year's will be quite interesting:
On May 17, 2014, the country celebrates the 200th anniversary of the Constitution which was signed and dated on May 17, 1814 by the Norwegian Constituent Assembly at the Norwegian town Eidsvoll. And the Danish Royal Couple (Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik) will be there in Eidsvoll at Norwegian National Day.
Also in Denmark will be celebrations: A large gala performance at the opera in Copenhagen with both Norwegian and Danish Royals present and a church service of the Seaman's Church in Holmens Kirke in Copenhagen followed by a 17th-May-parade.
Kongelig dansk glans over norsk jubileum - VG Nett om Kongehuset
Google Translation
I hope I got everything right, Google Translation is sometimes hard to understand.

The connection to Denmark in this context comes through the then Crown Prince of Denmark-Norway, Christian Frederik, the resident vice-roy in Norway.
Constitution of Norway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
:previous:Very interesting. thank you.
I love it when royal families get together. Looking forward to it

Also the Swedish Royal couple was invited for the celebrations in Eidsvoll but they declined the invitation and won't join the Norwegian and Danish Royals on May 17.
"The King does not visit other countries for the reason that they are celebrating a special day, such as National Day", said information officer at the Swedish court Annika Sönnerberg.
Derfor dropper Sveriges kongepar grunnlovsjubileet - VG Nett om Kongehuset
Google Translation

Kungen och Silvia i norskt blåsväder | Nyheter | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Google Translation

Also the Swedish Royal couple was invited for the celebrations in Eidsvoll but they declined the invitation and won't join the Norwegian and Danish Royals on May 17.
"The King does not visit other countries for the reason that they are celebrating a special day, such as National Day", said information officer at the Swedish court Annika Sönnerberg.
Derfor dropper Sveriges kongepar grunnlovsjubileet - VG Nett om Kongehuset
Google Translation

Kungen och Silvia i norskt blåsväder | Nyheter | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Google Translation

The Swedish Royal Couple has changed their mind, they will come to Norway to attend the 200-year celebrations on May 17.

Press release: Norska grundloven 200 år - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Google Translation

Kungen kommer likevel - Nyheter, tv og radio fra hele verden - NRK.no
Google Translation

What a strange announcement in the first place! I guess it came to their mind that not attending (other than the danish royal couple) would cause raised eyebrows (especially for this rather odd reason...!).
Sound like quick decision, later regretted...

National Day - May 17th, 2014-2018

Maybe we can create a seperate thread for this year's National Day / celebration of the Norwegian Constitutional Bicentenary and move the last few posts please?:)

latest press release kongehuset.no - Invitation to the national celebration of the Norwegian Constitutional Bicentenary 17.05.2014
"The Norwegian Parliament has the great pleasure of inviting representatives of the media to the national celebration of the Constitutional Bicentenary at Eidsvoll on 17th May.
The celebration at Eidsvoll 1814 will be attended by the Their Majesties The King and Queen of Norway, Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway, Her Majesty The Queen of Denmark and His Royal Highness The Prince Consort and Their Majesties The King and Queen of Sweden."

Last edited by a moderator:
Program for the day from the NRF:

17.05.2014 The Children's Parade in Asker
The Crown Prince and Crown Princess greet the Children's Parade in Asker outside Skaugum Estate (08.00).

17.05.2014 The Children's Parade
The Royal Family greets the Children's Parade in Oslo from the Palace Balcony (10:30).

17.05.2014 Bicentenary of the Constitution
Their Majesties The King and Queen attend the celebration of the Bicentenary of the Norwegian Constitution at Eidsvoll, where it was written. Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess will also be in attendance (Eidsvoll, 19.00).
from the SRF:
May 17: Attendance at the celebrations to mark the 200th anniversary of the Norwegian Constitution, Eidsvoll, Norway
Participants: King Carl XVI Gustaf, Queen Silvia
And we know that from the DRF Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik will attend this last event too.

:previous:thank you :flowers:
do we know if the CP couple kids will be at the children's parade?

:previous:thank you:flowers:

it will be lovely to see IA, SV and Marius

Happy Norwegian Constitution Day :norwayflag:

Video and pictures of the Crown Prince family at Skaugum:

Kronprinsfamilien hilser barnetoget - 17 Mai

Pictures from Skaugum:

http://svenskdam.se/2014/05/17-maj-idag-grattis-norge-2/

On TV I’ve seen Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik of Denmark along with Princess Astrid in the windows at the palace looking at the parade – all with big smiles. And there’s a interview with Queen Margethe at this link: http://www.aftenposten.no/amagasinet/Hjemme-hos-dronning-Margrethe-7568718.html#.U3dDh_l_sSY (in Norwegian) where she talks about looking forward to watching the parade with great joy.

:)

Last edited:
I think it's lovely that the ladies are wearing the traditional clothes on the balcony.

Back
Top Bottom