King Harald's Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After the flight he still will go to hospital. That is probably a precaution after the long flight but it shows that he is not deemed sufficiently recuperated to further recover at home.
That is not a big deal or a red flag per se. Queen Maxima, who is a much younger and generally healthier person, had a urinary tract infection in China, which progressed to a kidney infection, and was flown back to the Netherlands and admitted into hospital.

If King Harald has pneumonia, or any type of infection complication, it is totally expected that he would not be sent to recover at home, especially at his age.

Video from today's press conference:

The words of Prince Haakon:
"It seemed like the shape was a little better. The King was in a good mood, so it was nice."

"What he needs now is to spend a few days in the hospital and get some peace and rest."

Is the crown prince worried about the situation?

"Yes, it's good that things are improving. It is nice. His age suggests that it is good to treat him appropriately. He is now in very good hands, at the hospital they are good."

I think the press conference was Wednesday, but it's still great to hear that they are in touch and that the king is in good spirits. He is very well looked after, I'm sure.

They are now on the way to Oslo. ETA just before 11 pm. I'm sure they were well taken care of during the stop in Sharjah.

And like all other airplanes that don't have Syria as destination, they avoid flying over Syria.

This flight is currently the most tracked flight worldwide with 8.636 people tracking (the second most tracked flight -a US Air Force- only has 1.624 people tracking).

Princess Ingrid Alexandra, who is receiving military training, appears to have been granted leave to return home to Oslo:

Police encourage careful driving when the king arrives in Norway
King Harald is expected to arrive at Oslo Airport shortly before 11pm on Sunday.

And like all other airplanes that don't have Syria as destination, they avoid flying over Syria.

This flight is currently the most tracked flight worldwide with 8.636 people tracking (the second most tracked flight -a US Air Force- only has 1.624 people tracking).
I just clicked on the link, and almost 40,000 people are watching it with about 20 minutes left in the flight. It's the most tracked plane right now, followed by a Bombadier private jet from Egypt to Oslo and another plane from Stavenger to Oslo.

Do you suppose they're all related to the king?

Princess Ingrid Alexandra, who is receiving military training, appears to have been granted leave to return home to Oslo:

Police encourage careful driving when the king arrives in Norway
King Harald is expected to arrive at Oslo Airport shortly before 11pm on Sunday.

I think something got lost in the translation of this headline! Instead of careful driving, it appears to be encouraging reckless driving.

I don't have a problem with the cost of bringing Harald back to Norway, he is the King and we have to bring him home. Nevertheless, I am disappointed, this shouldn't be happening at all, he shouldn't have traveled to Malaysia in the first place. No, the Canary Islands wouldn't have been a "better option" either, he is 87 and very very frail, it is what it is, he shouldn't travel far.

I cannot believe the King's total lack of common sense. I'm disappointed and seriously worried, given that Ingrid has now been given permission to go home.

The King is back home.

The medivac aircraft with King Harald and Queen Sonja onboard has landed at Oslo Gardemoen Airport

Press Statement from the Norwegian Royal Court

” His Majesty The King arrived in Norway this evening. The transportation went well, and His Majesty’s health is improving.
His Majesty The King will be admitted to the hospital Rikshospitalet for medical examinations. He will stay in hospital for a few days for treatment and rest”.

The article from tv2.no asks people to not be reckless when driving in Oslo tonight. People know the way from Gardemoen (the airport) to Rigshospitalet (the hospital where the king will be admitted). They don't want curious bystanders to cause problems for the transport. Which also means that he will be driven there, not taken by helicopter.

I wonder if this will have made him consider abdicating.
If it is true that he is on the mend then perhaps Ingrid Alexandra is travelling to Oslo to hear his plans in person?

Whatever the case I agree with many here that it was irresponsible to travel so far at his age when his health is already known to be precarious.

I wonder if this will have made him consider abdicating.
If it is true that he is on the mend then perhaps Ingrid Alexandra is travelling to Oslo to hear his plans in person?

Whatever the case I agree with many here that it was irresponsible to travel so far at his age when his health is already known to be precarious.
Harald himself said so many times that he would remain king until his death, but everything is possible!

I don't have a problem with the cost of bringing Harald back to Norway, he is the King and we have to bring him home. Nevertheless, I am disappointed, this shouldn't be happening at all, he shouldn't have traveled to Malaysia in the first place. No, the Canary Islands wouldn't have been a "better option" either, he is 87 and very very frail, it is what it is, he shouldn't travel far.

I cannot believe the King's total lack of common sense. I'm disappointed and seriously worried, given that Ingrid has now been given permission to go home.
Wondered if this whole thing will make him rethink his decision not to hand over the throne to Haakon.

I read somewhere that this weekend is the six-week break in her training, so the timing is probably just a coincidence.
Harald himself said so many times that he would remain king until his death, but everything is possible!
Margrethe always said the same thing, too. Until she changed her mind.

King Harald has arrived to Rikshospitalet Hospital in Oslo, where he will remain for some days.

Queen Sonja has not accompanied him to the hospital but has travelled directly home to the Royal Palace.

Its hard to tell isn't it because indeed Margrethe was always one to say she would be Queen until she "fell off the perch" but I also think you have quite a different situation in Norway - you have a consort who is still very active and fit, a Crown Princess who isn't, a would be Crown Princess who is still in education / training unlike in Denmark where you had a. Crown Prince / Princess couple all set ready perfectly to assume the duties.
Harald himself even said there is a tradition in his family of a regency before the next reign, noting that he and his father before him had both been made Regent long term before their predecessors deaths.
I also wonder whether Harald doesn't sometimes just seem more ill than others as they are so open about his health, I am sure Margrethe, Elizabeth II and others are / were just as ill but it seems the Norwegian Royal Court openly states it each time Harald is unwell. I think so long as he is mentally sound (which it very much seems he is) he will carry on.

Slightly concerning to see he is in an ambulance with "intensive" written on it - is this usual in Norway? Or should we be worried?

Harald probably figures that the Regency model is ironically less-stressful for Haakon and family than making him king would be. Also he sincerely seems to believe in the "for life" tradition his dad and grandpa established, and I don't think he wants to be the one to alter it. Alt for Norge, more than just a slogan. They mean Alt... so Harald will maybe be a little more mindful and try not to get sick for either Norway or himself, going forward.

Slightly concerning to see he is in an ambulance with "intensive" written on it - is this usual in Norway? Or should we be worried?
The ambulance drove slowly and Queen Sonja traveled directly to the Royal Palace and did not follow to the hospital.

I doubt that would have been the case, had Haralds life been in immediate danger..

Last edited:
The ambulance drove slowly and Queen Sonja traveled directly to the Royal Palace and did not follow to the hospital.

I doubt that would have been the case, had Haralds life been in immediate danger..
Wouldn't she also have to quarantine? Maybe they don't want her to go to the hospital at this point. (I think I read that the king will be in isolation, because people are still isolating coming from certain countries.) Plus the poor woman must be exhausted!

I was thinking this afternoon that it would be so great if only the king knew some kind of healer -- a shaman, perhaps -- who could fix all his problems...

I was thinking this afternoon that it would be so great if only the king knew some kind of healer -- a shaman, perhaps -- who could fix all his problems...
Well the King actually does know a Shaman...😜

Wouldn't she also have to quarantine? Maybe they don't want her to go to the hospital at this point. (I think I read that the king will be in isolation, because people are still isolating coming from certain countries.) Plus the poor woman must be exhausted!
I don't think they have to quarantine. What I read was that the King will be in isolation at the hospital to protect him from multidrug-resistant bacteria.
Queen Sonja must have been exhausted, yes. It was a 17-hour-trip if you include the stop in Sharjah. Plus the time difference and the worry about the King... She definitely needed to go home and rest.

Ingrid Alexandra and Mette-Marit visited the King in hospital this morning.

King Harald has arrived to Rikshospitalet Hospital in Oslo, where he will remain for some days.

Queen Sonja has not accompanied him to the hospital but has travelled directly home to the Royal Palace.
Glad to hear that the king has arrived home safe and sound and hopefully will have some much needed rest after this long journey home.

I think it is a good sign that the Queen did no go with the King to the hospital but straight to the Palace

Last edited:
Princess Märtha Louise has also visited her father The King at the hospital this morning, according to her spokesperson.

Back
Top Bottom