King George VI (1895-1952)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George VI, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret attended the Royal Film Performance of ‘Mudlark’ at the Empire Theater in Leicester Square, London in 30th October 1950. They worn black in mourning for King Gustav V of Sweden, who passed away the day before.

Credit to the Royal Watcher Blog for the pictures and short video.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2020/10/30/royal-film-performance-of-mudlark-1950/

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth attended church in Hertfordshire in 1937.

:previous:

Thank you CyrilVladisla for sharing the video! :flowers:

The King and Queen looked very happy in Hertfordshire. I did not know that The Queen Mother was baptised in All Saints church near St Paul's Walden Bury.

What was the occasion or was it simply Sunday worship?

I have no idea where to put this question except that I normally frequent the British Royal Forums and WWII happened during King George VI reign. Moderators, if there is a better forum to put this in, please do so. Here is my question: I plan to read this book on WWI because from what I have read it seems to be a one book synopsis of WWI for the non-historian and gets excellent reviews. Is there a similar book on WWII for the non-historian that would give a general understanding of it---certainly not detailed? I would be willing to read a set of books as long as they don't require a degree in history to understand. Thanks.

I have no idea where to put this question except that I normally frequent the British Royal Forums and WWII happened during King George VI reign. Moderators, if there is a better forum to put this in, please do so. Here is my question: I plan to read this book on WWI because from what I have read it seems to be a one book synopsis of WWI for the non-historian and gets excellent reviews. Is there a similar book on WWII for the non-historian that would give a general understanding of it---certainly not detailed? I would be willing to read a set of books as long as they don't require a degree in history to understand. Thanks.

There's AJP Taylor's The Second World War : An Illustrated History. An excellent overview of the conflict.

Not to be confused with his well known work The Origins of The Second World War which is a bit more heavy.

Where are the ashes of Princess Margaret, who was so determined to be with Papa?

In the vault at St George's Chapel.

Edit - I realise now that you probably mean where are they in the photo. Presumably they're behind a corner we can't see or possibly beneath the cross on the altar.

The free standing slab of stone must be her memorial with a medallion of the princess above.

Last edited:
I thought He died from Lung Cancer but he had a Heart Attack .

Last edited:
I thought He died from Lung Cancer but he had a Haert Attack .

Or possibly a blood clot, all of which was brought on by his terrible health due to the lung cancer. We don't know when he died or when the Queen acceded, either. But it seems to have been peaceful. That's something.

In that photo I put you can't see well.
But in this photo you can see Princess Margaret's memorial, which is next to the tomb of King George VI and Queen Mother.
https://c4.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gfb17201a/22061044_a1CLE.jpeg

I visited St. George’s chapel a few years ago, ironically on February 6, also my patents’ anniversary.

This is so touching to me...they’ll all be together

We will find out later today what the duke’s revised Covid-appropriate funeral plans are. But one thing will not change.
The Queen has always wanted to be buried alongside her beloved husband, parents and sister in the tiny George VI Memorial Chapel adjacent to St George’s Chapel

Where are the ashes of Princess Margaret, who was so determined to be with Papa?
There is a vault under the chapel where the coffins of The King and Queen and the urn of Princess Margaret rest. It is believed that the vault has room for a total of six coffins and that The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will eventually rest there as well.

There is a vault under the chapel where the coffins of The King and Queen and the urn of Princess Margaret rest. It is believed that the vault has room for a total of six coffins and that The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will eventually rest there as well.

That is correct,eventually they will all rest here.`All 5 of us` as King George VI said.

That is correct,eventually they will all rest here.`All 5 of us` as King George VI said.

That makes me very emotional, honestly.

As for George VI’’s (my favorite) death, he did have lung cancer...but he died of coronary thrombosis. He was very ill even before suffering the coronary thrombosis and very likely would have passed away of the cancer at some point not long after...

In many cases with cancer, as the cancer spreads, it causes other systems in the body to malfunction and then stop working completely. Such was the case with my mother who had lung cancer. The cancer metastasized throughout her body which eventually caused her heart to stop beating. I believe this was the case with George VI. It's why he peacefully passed away in his sleep the morning of February 6, 1952.

Photograph of George VI and Queen Elizabeth taken on 15th December 1947, which was to be used for a commemorative stamp to celebrate the King and the Queen's Silver Wedding Anniversary. The 2½ d and £1 stamps were issued on the 25th anniversary, 26 April 1948. Queen Elizabeth was wearing "the Oriental Tiara, made for Queen Victoria in 1853 and a diamond and ruby necklace with matching earrings". The King was wearing "a naval jacket with ribbon bars". This portrait was also used for commemorative stamps for New Zealand, as part of the previously scheduled Australia and New Zealand Tour in 1949 (later cancelled).

https://www.rct.uk/sites/default/fi...nline/c/0/363269-1617287200.jpg?itok=5Olx4J0C

More information from The Royal Collection Trust:
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth 15 - 15 Dec 1947
https://www.rct.uk/collection/searc...on/2509435/king-george-vi-and-queen-elizabeth

As some of you know I am spending my retirement trying to do an analysis of the CC from the beginning to the present. I decided to start in 1952 - at the start of the Queen's reign and yesterday I was doing February, 1952 when something struck me:

The King died on the 6th - noted in the CC:

6th
COURT CIRCULAR
Buckingham Palace
The King passed peacefully away in his sleep early this morning.

There was a service at Sandringham before his coffin left to go to London to be placed in Westminster Hall:

11th
COURT CIRCULAR
Buckingham Palace
The Queen, with The Queen Mother, The Princess Margaret, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duke of Gloucester, was present at a private Service for His late Majesty in Sandringham Church this morning.

The Coffin was conveyed to Wolferton Railway Station, followed by The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duke of Gloucester, and thence by special train to King's Cross Railway Station.

The Coffin, surmounted by the Imperial Crown, was placed upon a Gun Carriage drawn by The King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery, and conveyed to Westminster Hall, followed by The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duke of Gloucester and by Members of His late Majesty's Household.

Upon arrival at Westminster Hall the Coffin was received by the Archbishop of York, the Marquess of Cholmondeley (Lord Great Chamberlain), the Duke of Norfolk (Earl Marshal), and the Right Hon. David Eccles, M.P. (Minister of Works), and borne into the Hall by a bearer party of The King's Company, Grenadier Guards.

The Queen, with The Queen Mother, Queen Mary, The Princess Margaret, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Princess Royal, The Duchess of Kent and The Duke of Kent, followed immediately behind the Coffin.

A short Service was conducted by the Archbishop of York.

Then there is this for the day of the funeral itself:

15th
COURT CIRCULAR
Buckingham Palace
The Funeral of His late Majesty King George the Sixth took place to-day at St. George's Chapel, Windsor.

The Queen, Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, The Princess Margaret and other Members of the Royal Family, together with the Sovereigns, Heads of States and Foreign Representatives, were present.

When I then compare the detail about the funeral of Lord Louis Mountbatten, or Princess Alice of Athlone I find that sad. They had much more detail about the day itself.

God save the king sung by 13-year old Julie Andrews to king George VI in 1948.

And she is still around. It's a pity her voice has been damaged or she could sing it to the new king almost 75 years later...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom