King Edward VII (1841-1910) and Queen Alexandra (1844-1925)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BeatrixFan said:
How can Alexandra look like Diana when they aren't related? I don't see the resemblance at all. I do, however, find the resemblance to her sisters Dagmar and Thyra extremely uncanny.

Simple. You've never heard of people being told they resemble certain celebrities or maybe other non-celebrities? I've had people tell me that a certain picture I have makes me look like Fairuza Balk. She and I are not related. I think Alexandra has similar features to Uma Thurman, and they sure aren't related either.

I would expect there to be facial resemblance between her and her family members.

Sister Morphine said:
I think Alexandra has similar features to Uma Thurman.

Yes, I do too.

It's a bit of strech but, funny how Edward VII and Prince Charles were both born in November. Alexandra was born on December 1, 1844 and Diana was born July 1, 1961. I have been fascinated with Alexandra for years. I was just saying that in some early photos of Alexandra she looks a bit like Diana.

wartenberg7 said:
I´m for one looking for the painting of Queen Alexandra being anointed at the 1902 - coronation, peeresses holding a canopy over her!
It´s so beautiful it takes almost your breath away.
So far I have only found a black and white image on the internet. The title of the painting is The Anointing of Her Majesty, Queen Alexandra by Danish painter Laurits Tuxen.
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/everyman_history/fig19_queen-alexandra.jpg
He also painted (more famously) the coronation and wedding of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra.

Sister Morphine, thanks for the great links to amazing photos of Queen Alexandra. She is one of my fav of all the British queens and by far one of the most beautiful. Whatever became of her daughters?

Princess Victoria (called Tori) never married. Close to her brother George V, who died a month after her deah. I believe she was also close to her nephew, George, Duke of Kent. She left some of her estate to him.

Princess Maud, married Prince Carl of Denmark who became King Haakon of Norway. She became Queen Maud of Norway and is the great grandmother of King Harald.

Princess Louise was named the Princess Royal in 1905. And married the Duke of Fife and had two daughters. Special legistation was passed so that the title would pass to her daughters, and they were made Princess of Great Britian and Ireland with the rank of Highness. She is the maternal grandmother of the 3rd Duke of Fife.

Bella said:
Sister Morphine, thanks for the great links to amazing photos of Queen Alexandra. She is one of my fav of all the British queens and by far one of the most beautiful.

'Twas no problem. I enjoyed posting them, as I also think she's an amazing woman. :)

Sorry, maybe I miss it but
how tall Alexandra was and how many and which languages does she know?
When does she learn English and how it was?

What a fantastic picture of Alex holding Princess Louise, Sister M! Thanks for posting.

magnik said:
Sorry, maybe I miss it but
how tall Alexandra was and how many and which languages does she know?
When does she learn English and how it was?

As a member of the Danish Court, obviously she spoke Danish. I believe she also spoke German, as her mother was Louise of Hesse-Kassel. Although her mother lived in Denmark from the age of 3 on, I would think she was schooled in her language and she in turn, taught her children to speak it as well. I am also certain she spoke English, as she'd have no other way really, of communicating with people in England.

Based on photographs of her I've seen, I would guess she was about 5'7-5'9. Maybe an inch shorter than that.

Frothy said:
What a fantastic picture of Alex holding Princess Louise, Sister M! Thanks for posting.

Not a problem. Every now and again, I manage not to annoy you with one of my posts. ;)

Thanks, Zonk, for the info. So really it seems all the royal houses of Europe are related.

Bella said:
Thanks, Zonk, for the info. So really it seems all the royal houses of Europe are related.

Yep! Thanks to Victoria of England and Christian of Denmark!

Sister Morphine said:
As a member of the Danish Court, obviously she spoke Danish. I believe she also spoke German, as her mother was Louise of Hesse-Kassel. Although her mother lived in Denmark from the age of 3 on, I would think she was schooled in her language and she in turn, taught her children to speak it as well. I am also certain she spoke English, as she'd have no other way really, of communicating with people in England.

Based on photographs of her I've seen, I would guess she was about 5'7-5'9. Maybe an inch shorter than that.

About relationships between Alexandra and Diana:
http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en;em=R;ei=127844;long=on;spouse=on;et=M;color=;i=128087

Zonk said:
Princess Maud, married Prince Carl of Denmark who became King Haakon of Norway. She became Queen Maud of Norway and is the great grandmother of King Harald.
Actually Maud was the grandmother of King Harald, mother to his father King Olav

Bella said:
These are great photos, Magnik! Her coronation photos are just breathtaking. Check out that wasp waist!!! And after already having her children. I'm envious.
And still, her daughter Maude's waist was even waspier!

Maud's son Olav remembered from his childhood that when she went skiing, she was so tiny that when the dog would sit on her skis she couldn't move!

Furienna said:
Who? Alexandra?

Sorry :) no, I didn't make myself clear. Olav was referring to Maud.

auntie said:
Actually Maud was the grandmother of King Harald, mother to his father King Olav

Thanks for the correction!

ysbel said:
Sorry :) no, I didn't make myself clear. Olav was referring to Maud.
Ah... That makes more sense.

Zonk said:
Princess Victoria (called Tori) never married. Close to her brother George V, who died a month after her deah. I believe she was also close to her nephew, George, Duke of Kent. She left some of her estate to him.

Princess Louise was named the Princess Royal in 1905. And married the Duke of Fife and had two daughters. Special legistation was passed so that the title would pass to her daughters, and they were made Princess of Great Britian and Ireland with the rank of Highness. She is the maternal grandmother of the 3rd Duke of Fife.

This is a great thread. I love Queen Alexandra as well and she was definitely the most beautiful Queen of Britain, or perhaps of anywhere.

Just a few corrections. Her daughter Princess Victoria Alexandra Olga Mary was nicknamed Toria, never Tori. Queen Maud of Norway and King Haakon VII are the grandparents of King Harald of Norway, the current King. I think this means that he is the monarch most closely related to Queen Elizabeth II. They are cousins. Louise the Princess Royal and the Duke of Fife also had a son, named Lord Alastair Duff, but he tragically died on the day of his birth. Lord Alastair was their first child. I believe Prince Eddy helped comfort his favourite sister after this tragic loss.

Queen Alexandra never really recovered from the tragic death at the age of 28 of her beloved son and favourite child Prince Albert Victor (Eddy) Duke of Clarence and Avondale and she spent the rest of her life in semi-mourning for him.

Last edited:
Edward and Alexandra

In this photograph I see a resemblance to Charles and Diana too. Especially, Alix's expression, a sly smile. She is my favorite royal of all time. I wish we had photographs of her smiling.

Hello Alexandra RI: there are numerous photographs in existence of Alexandra smiling both when she was Princess of Wales and later queen consort to Edward VII.

Queen Alix in 1888 and in the 1890's

Attachments

• 1888 Alix.jpg
    1888 Alix.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 1890's Alix.jpg
    1890's Alix.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom