King Christian X

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At the time of Prince Alexander's birth it was not anticipated that his father would become a reigning sovereign of Norway. Alexander's middle names of Christian Frederik are a fine significance of his Danish heritage.

As he was born a Prince of Denmark, so much so that his grandmother Alexandra nicknamed him "Hamlet" for being her Danish grandchild, that would be much the point.

Aside from his father, Olav is probably the only one on the list who had to rebrand and change names, dropping 'Christian Frederik' included.

Edit: Actually I will never understand this about Frederik and Lovisa. Yes, your first two children are boys, yes, there are a few names from a limited pool that need to be applied and re-applied, and no, you're not planning to call the younger one anything but Carl....so why does his first name have to be Christian, too? Was something wrong with "Frederik Christian Carl"? Or "Carl Christian Frederik"? (And it's not just poor Carl. They apparently had a brief spurt of creativity with Harald before doing the exact same thing to Gustav. It's almost as bad as the "Oscar"s in Sweden.)

I call him King "Call-Me-Whatever" half-seriously, but small wonder he ended up preferring "Charles". And/or Haakon.

Last edited:
I've always thought Alexandrine looked quite small in that picture with Christian, but now I think she must have either been standing on a box there or been a lot taller than her delicate appearance seemed, because Christian was taller than Felipe.

And given he was 6'7"/201cm, she doesn't look small enough.

Christian X was close to 2 meters in height.

And perhaps he wasn't always such a grumpy ramrod. Not when goofing around with his wife at least.

Over, apparently (2.01, or as I found out today, "the tallest man in the Danish army". :eek: In the old days they would have made him king for that alone).

Nah, it's adorable. ?

Given he and his kid brother Carl were apparently BFFs, I'm starting to believe they were more similar than it seems, even if Carl's way of dealing with stuff was hesitation and nerves and Christian's was being a giant authoritarian grump.

It really does run in the family. :cool: https://antique-royals.tumblr.com/post/167179383223/king-haakon-and-queen-maud-of-norway

(It's also quite something that all of F8's and Lovisa's children who married seem to have been pretty happy, even though their parents were not.)

Okay, and speaking of the lillebror who was still Carl then, I'm putting this here because Christian is in the background, it's in Denmark, and there's more of a chance Muhler will see it than if I put this in Norway. ?

https://kgl-fotosamling.kongernessamling.dk/catalog/Den Kongelige Fotografisamling/r/42777

Military + DRF question: why is a navy man wearing the hussar uniform to a birthday party where everyone else is in civvies?

Also fun with how hi-res these are: https://kgl-fotosamling.kongernessamling.dk/catalog/Den Kongelige Fotografisamling/r/42781

Eventually I figured out what young Prince Knud was playing with... it's Maud's lorgnette/glasses...:cool: (Still no idea what F8 has though.)

Eeh, I can imagine of couple of reasons, depending on circumstances, but alas, I can't see the photos.

I suggest you open the photo and link directly, that worked for me. ?

Eeh, I can imagine of couple of reasons, depending on circumstances, but alas, I can't see the photos.

I suggest you open the photo and link directly, that worked for me. ?

Do you know, I couldn't see the ones you posted on the other page, but I suspect it might have something to do with already having a copy of the archive open? If you close the other open windows, it seems to work.

I had no problems now. ?

Anyway, the first thought that comes to my mind is very simple: He has been riding. What would be more natural than wearing a cavalry uniform? Especially if he is seen be people and wish to appear royal.

But if that's so:
- He could have worn civilian clothes to go riding, too...
- The uniform wouldn't seem to identify him as "royal", just "military guy", unless random passerby got a good look at his face
- And wearing the clothes you've already gone for a ride in to a family party doesn't seem de rigueur (It's like coming from your workout).

Are you sure he wasn't having some weird temporary service branch switch? Or the Navy wasn't experimenting with horses? :)

He finds the hussar uniform more stylish. - It is.
Still, keeping up appearances. Unless you wish to remain incognito.
Depends when the photo was taken. Perhaps he changed after the photo was taken?

There are seahorses... ;)

Another thought is that he has returned from a visit to a Guards Hussar detachment. There were actually two squadrons (*) of Guards Hussars billeted in Hørsholm around that time, which is very close by.

Danish lesson.
In English you only use squadron, in Danish we use three different words:
Eskadron = a cavalry squadron.
Eskadrille = an airforce squadron.
Eskadre = a navy squadron.
- I believe it's similar to French.

Deleted as off-topic.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It is. ?

After the Liberation in 1945 judging from the lyrics.
The song is a reference to Christian X riding through the streets of Copenhagen during the Occupation - until he fell off and injured himself severely.
The song also refers to a well known incident where a baffled German soldier/officer asked who protects the King, because there were no soldiers nor police officers around. A Dane replied: "We do."

I've never heard that song before. It's a bit over the top, to put it mildly! Extremely royalist I'd say.

It's very sad he fell. Was it a freak accident, or just age?

The Germans must have been delighted.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Christian X hunting on the Island of Seeland
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/515170872

An interesting photo for two reasons. King Christian is dressed in the gentleman-hunter fashion, complete with a cane, which to a considerable extend upheld as well.
While the outfit may look very impractical, it really isn't.
Sturdy walking shoes. Socks that could quickly be changed, in contrast to long trousers. In this case the King is actually using puttees, which the British army used for several decades.
A solid jacket with deep pockets.
A pull-over that was part fashionable, part warm and in colors and in a pattern that would stand out to some extent should you walk towards another hunter.
A tie, naturally. No need to look like a hobo.
A cane, partly for support while walking through terrain, partly for support when firing a rifle, and also for rummaging through shrubbery and to kill wounded animals like bird or hares by wacking them over the neck or head with the cane.
And finally but not least, an appropriate hat with a wide brim and a colored band, usually deep red.

Frederik's outfit is a little perplexing to me, because he is actually wearing the uniform of a forester or game-warden. No idea why. That uniform is still worn to this day, and the forester is in charge of the hunt. A royal may host the hunt, but the forester is in charge. - Assigning positions, routes, ensuring that safety procedures are upheld, that shooting discipline is maintained - no shooting at duck on the water for example. And if need be telling a member of the hunting party to leave.

The regulations, legislation and rules in connection with hunting in Central Europe, if not most of Europe, to this day were devised and put into system by Hermann Göring.

I just wondered why Frederik looked like Captain von Trapp while the king was in a suit.

Christian also appears to have something around his middle. Flask?

Someone in the comments calls him a Great Dane. I am immeasurably sorry I never thought of that one on my own.
The translation of the telegram is great, although all things considered, maybe not worth it?
I still want to know why he fell.

Someone in the comments calls him a Great Dane. I am immeasurably sorry I never thought of that one on my own.
The translation of the telegram is great, although all things considered, maybe not worth it?
I still want to know why he fell.

The horse was spooked by something. Not someone, that's important.
Happens in a city where there are all sorts of noises and smoking things moving about. Most cars at the time drove on gas using more or less improvised contraptions.
https://arkiv.dk/vis/2210463
It was noisy and belched smoke and often the engine gave out loud groans of protest.
So perhaps it was a car. Or a stray dog. A tramp or someone ringing too enthusiastically with the bell on the bike.

Christian X's response to Hitlers very long and flattering telegram on his birthday was short and typical for him: Min bedste tak. Which can be translated to: My most sincere thank you, but it can also be translated to: Yeah, well thanks. (But no more than I have to.)

Christian X was a very stern and formal man and I doubt very much he would have been impressed by an overly flowery telegram. Be that from Hitler or anyone else. And being a military man to the innermost core of his bones, he did see the invasion and not least the occupation of Denmark as a personal affront.
Nor was he a man who was particularly diplomatic. Polite but gruff.

Of course from a foreign political point of view the overwhelming and personal telegram from Hitler was very good news. That meant that the footwork had paid off and that DK could hope to continue running our own affairs pretty much without interference from Germany. (And also safeguarding the Danish Jews a little while longer.)
From an icecold and pragmatic perspective the diplomatic appeasement policy by the Foreign Minister and the Foreign Ministry was masterly. It kept the Germans at an arms distance while at the same time quietly reassuring the Allies that DK was not a German client state. (We were actually. Otherwise...)
Of course that couldn't last. That this collaboration policy lasted until 1943 is quite baffling. - But keep in mind that the Germans had a considerable interest in keeping things quiet in DK.
It was a safe place to be stationed. The Danish output of agricultural products meant quite a lot towards the end of the war. (Even today with a considerable reduced farm land we produce food enough for additional eleven million people.) A DK running itself didn't require that many soldiers on the ground. (Towards the end of the war the constant sabotage tied down 200.000 German soldiers.) And the connection between Germany and Norway, and that includes the mines in Kiruna in Sweden was vital for Germany. (By 1944, the railway going up through Jutland was blown up several times a day, every single day.)
DK was also the only occupied country where the Germans caved in after a general strike. The population among other things demanded Danish collaborators off the streets. Where they were a true menace to everybody around them. Sometimes shooting randomly into crowds. And in some cases with German soldiers actually shooting back!
Because it was open war between the Resistance and the Collaborators. Ironically with the average German soldier trying to keep his head down. A very bizarre situation! But not unique for DK.
In Yugoslavia the various ethnic and political factions were just as busy killing each other than the German occupiers.
In Greece the Nationalists and Communists hated each other.
Northern Italy was bordering on anarchy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom