King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 3: April - October 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia at the funeral of Pope John Paul II in the Vatican on Friday 8 April:

Attachments

• AP922462_guest.jpg.jpg
    AP922462_guest.jpg.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 403
  • r170008400.jpg
    r170008400.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 00408656.jpg
    00408656.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 667
Thanks for pics GrandDuches.

From AAP IMage:

Attachments

• ilvia.jpg
    ilvia.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 604
  • ilvia2.jpg
    ilvia2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 573
Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody of you know, if Queen Silvia returns to Heidelberg, Germany, after travelling over half the earth :) .

I´m very interested in this because, one of my relative knows some Sommerlaths.
And i think i remember that someone of my family told me something about Silvia.

It would be nice, when someone has an answer for me!

Other question, were there any other of the swedish royality at the funeral of the pope?

Yesterday the Queen attended a research seminar arranged by The Parkinson Fund in Stockholm in connection with the World Parkinson Day - a day that was also used to launch the new world symbol for this disease, the "red tulip".

The Queen is the protector of The Parkinson Fund, and here is a beautiful picture from the fund where the Queen holds the new symbol in her hands:

loving silvia and carl gustaf said:
The royal couple will attend the funeral of prince Rainier
What source do you have for this info?

As far as I know, the information (by the media) is that King Carl XVI Gustaf will represent Sweden without his wife at the funeral on Friday 15 April. It's not clear wheter there will be any additional representative/s (from the government for ex) yet.

Queen Silvia will be in Mariefred on Friday for the celebrations around “The World’s Children’s Prize for The Rights of The Child", and I don't think she will have time to go.

Attachments

• Drottning Silvia.jpg
    Drottning Silvia.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 454
The King founded a new leadership award today!

Today, Tuesday 12 April, His Majesty The King founded a new leadership award, “The Young Leader of the Year”! Starting in 2006, two young leaders will get this award every year – one from the business life and one from the scouting movement. The recipients will be awarded their prizes in a yearly ceremony attended by the King.

The presentation of the award was made during a leadership seminar hosted by The Swedish Guide and Scout Council, “Leadership for Sweden” at the Royal Palace this afternoon. The seminar was held on the King’s initiative, and at the same time a project to create a certified leadership education in 2007 in the King’s name was presented - a gift from The Swedish Guide and Scout Council on the occasion of the King celebrating 50 years as a scout.

The seminar and presentations was attended by people from (of what I can tell) The Swedish Guide and Scout Council, the Swedish Olympic Committee, The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, the business life and the Baden Powell Fellows Sweden Chapter.

Pictures from the Royal Court:

Attachments

• Ledarskapsseminarium 12 apr 2005_1.jpg
    Ledarskapsseminarium 12 apr 2005_1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 605
  • Ledarskapsseminarium 12 apr 2005_2.jpg
    Ledarskapsseminarium 12 apr 2005_2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 544
GrandDuchess said:
What source do you have for this info?

As far as I know, the information (by the media) is that King Carl XVI Gustaf will represent Sweden without his wife at the funeral on Friday 15 April. It's not clear wheter there will be any additional representative/s (from the government for ex) yet.

Queen Silvia will be in Mariefred on Friday for the celebrations around “The World’s Children’s Prize for The Rights of The Child", and I don't think she will have time to go.
According the the Court website both the King and Queen will attend the funeral.

Lunar said:
According the the Court website both the King and Queen will attend the funeral.
Thank you, now I can see it too - and I'm very surprised, almost shocked - Princess Christina will award ”The World's Childrens' Prize For The Rights Of The Child” instead of the Queen! :eek: :D I really didn't think she would pass on this prize which is so close to her heart, but of course it's a very important funeral, even though sending only the King would be okay too I think.

GrandDuchess said:
Thank you, now I can see it too - and I'm very surprised, almost shocked - Princess Christina will award ”The World's Childrens' Prize For The Rights Of The Child” instead of the Queen! :eek: :D I really didn't think she would pass on this prize which is so close to her heart, but of course it's a very important funeral, even though sending only the King would be okay too I think.
I was surprised as well, but I guess HSH funeral was more important this year. I'm sure we will see her attend again next year.

It has been announced that The King and Queen will be Sweden's representatives at the funeral of H.S.H. Prince Rainier of Monaco on Friday 15 April.

On the day of the funeral there will be the traditional "serafimerringning" (bells toll of the Seraphim) in the Riddarholmen Church in Stockholm, and in connection with this his orden coat of arms will be mounted in the church alongside the other decead knights or members of the Order of the Seraphim. Prince Rainier was made a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim in 1949.

Today, Friday 15 April, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia attended Prince Rainier's funeral in Monaco. I attach some pics from that.

Also today, between noon and one o'clock, the traditional "serafimerringning" (church bells toll of the Seraphim) for Prince Rainier took place in the Riddarholmen Church in Stockholm, as always happens when a Knight or Member of the Order of the Seraphim is buried. In connection with the bells toll, his orden coat of arms was mounted in the church alongside the other deceased knights and members of the Order of the Seraphim. Prince Rainier was made a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim in 1949. I attach a picture of Prince Rainier's Order of the Seraphim coat of arms:

Attachments

• 00413341.jpg
    00413341.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 615
  • Rainiers serafimersköld.jpg
    Rainiers serafimersköld.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 595
  • Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_2.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 349
  • Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_3.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 542
  • Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_1.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 598
A few more pictures of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia attending the funeral of H.S.H. Prince Rainier of Monaco yesterday, Friday 15 April.

Attachments

• Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_4.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_4.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 401
  • Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_5.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_5.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 442
  • Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_6.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_6.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_7.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_7.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 450
  • Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_8.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_8.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 422
  • Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_9.jpg
    Rainiers begravning 15 apr 2005_9.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Thanks you so much for pics,GrandDuchess.

More photos of TM at the funeral of Prince Rainier from AAP Image:

Attachments

• 00413331.jpg
    00413331.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 577
  • MONACO-RAINIER-PEOPLE-FU_72.jpg
    MONACO-RAINIER-PEOPLE-FU_72.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 553
  • MONACO-RAINIER-PEOPLE-F_108.jpg
    MONACO-RAINIER-PEOPLE-F_108.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 577
  • 00413340.jpg
    00413340.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 592
  • 00413500.jpg
    00413500.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 522
Yennie said:
its a few months old, but I dont think I´ve seen it posted.
The King gave an interview where he talked about the days after the Tsunami.

perhaps someone with better english than me could translate it?

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=363787
I translated that article the same day it was published...

If you look in the interview thread, you can find it there:
Part 1
Part 2

Last edited:
Today, Thursday 21 April, the King gave an audience to The Speaker of the Parliament of Hungary, Katalin Szili, at the Royal Palace of Stockholm - before leaving for Rome. Pictures from the Royal Court and AAP:

Attachments

• Ungerns-talman050421.jpg
    Ungerns-talman050421.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 521
  • Ungerns talman 21 apr 2005_1.jpg
    Ungerns talman 21 apr 2005_1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 559
So the King will attend the Investiture of the new Pope?Will the Queen attend?

The King in Vatican today:

From Getty:

Attachments

• Resize of 52689773.jpg
    Resize of 52689773.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 397
  • Resize of 52690640.jpg
    Resize of 52690640.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 296
King Carl XVI Gustaf meets Pope Benedict XVI in the St. Peter's Basilica after his installment mass in St. Peter's Square yesterday, Sunday 24 April. Pictures from AAP and Fotomarktplatz:

Attachments

• Kungen & Benedict3.jpg
    Kungen & Benedict3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Kungen & Benedict2.jpg
    Kungen & Benedict2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 612
  • Kungen & Benedict1.jpg
    Kungen & Benedict1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 602
1) Yesterday, Monday 26 April, the King awarded the Vega medal (a medal awarded by The Swedish Society for Anthropology and Geography) at the Royal Palace of Stockholm to Professor Francoise Grasse. Picture from the Royal Court (PRB):

2) Yesterday, Monday 26 April, the King attended the Big Export Day and awarded The Swedish Trade Council's prize "The Big Export Prize" at the China Theatre in Stockholm. Picture from the Royal Court:

Attachments

• Vega medaljen 15 apr 2005_1.jpg
    Vega medaljen 15 apr 2005_1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 310
  • Exportprisetwebb2005.jpg
    Exportprisetwebb2005.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 239
And the Queen holds a news Conference yesterday too.I saw some pics from Getty.

NEW YORK - APRIL 26: Queen Silvia of Sweden speaks at the American-Scandinavian Foundation April 26, 2005 in New York City. The Queen spoke about her charity the World Childhood Foundation and its efforts to help impoverished and vulnerable children. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Attachments

• NY 26 apr 2005_1.jpg
    NY 26 apr 2005_1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 408
  • NY 26 apr 2005_2.jpg
    NY 26 apr 2005_2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 307
  • NY 26 apr 2005_3.jpg
    NY 26 apr 2005_3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 382
GrandDuchess said:
NEW YORK - APRIL 26: Queen Silvia of Sweden speaks at the American-Scandinavian Foundation April 26, 2005 in New York City. The Queen spoke about her charity the World Childhood Foundation and its efforts to help impoverished and vulnerable children. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Here is my superficial comment: I don't like it when anyone wears hair bands as Silvia has here. They make me think of fashion durinig the '80s -- and anyone who lived through that period, even as a young adult, would not want to be reminded of that time. Just as if you were a young adult during the '90s "scrunchies" were very popular.

Silvia has such a lovely, wavy head of hair -- why pull it back with an ugly and unstylish hairband? I'm sure that her speech was very important and that she had some insightful things to say, but the hair band would've been too distracting for me!

Thanks nonetheless for the pictures GrandDuchess. :)

Yesterday the King together with the President of Finland, Tarja Halonen, and her husband, Dr. Pentti Arajärvi, attended a ceremony and inaugurated the new monument in commemoration of the Finnish war children that Sweden took on during WWII. The monument stands in a park in Haparanda in the north of Sweden, at the border between Sweden and Finland.

The monument, called “Separation”, has been made and placed to commemorate that it is 60 years ago this year that the war ended in the Finnish Lappland. During the years 1939-44, around 70 000 young children were sent from Finland to Sweden, Denmark and Norway. The children arrived with trains from Karelia, Helsinki, Åbo and other large cities in Finland, carrying not much more than big name tags on them. Haparanda in the north of Sweden became a gathering place for children between 1 and 14, before they were transported to their new foster families in Sweden. Many organisations and private individuals made large efforts for these war children.

The King’s speech during the ceremony, translated by me

The Republic of Finland’s President, County Governors, Ladies and Gentlemen

Today a circle is completed. The war children’s monument here at the border between Finland and Sweden, between Torneå and Haparanda, is just about to be uncovered.

Commemorational marks exists already in many locations in Finland, locations from where the children were disconnected for their travel into an uncertain future- Since many years, there is also a commemorational plaque at Skeppsbron in Stockholm, where many children who came to Sweden, stepped onto land.

But it was up here, at this border, that thousands of war children left their home country. They were on their way to a temporary, but unknown, sanctuary in Swedish homes and families, and this took place during the ongoing war.

Most things were new, including the language, for the children or groups of siblings who came to Sweden. Some came with only an address tag around their necks. Most children, thank god, got a good life here, but the separation from their families and their home country was hard for many, and of course put traces in their souls forever.

I myself was not even born when all this happened, but later during my childhood I heard about the war children that my mother, Princess Sibylla, helped and supported at the Bellevue home in Stockholm. She understood and felt strongly for their situation, and wanted them to have a good life in every way.

Therefore it feels very natural and important to today uncover the war children monument here in Tullparken in Hapranda, 60 years after the end of the war.

I hope that it shall remind us and coming generations about the Finnish war children’s very special lives and hardship. It shall also remind us of the special closeness that has always been there, and is highly still alive, between Finland and Sweden.

Attachments

• 050426.jpg
    050426.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 0504262.jpg
    0504262.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 243
I do agree that the headband is a very bad choice which Queen Silvia has unfortunately reverted to - after using it a lot in the 1980's indeed, I don't remember seeing her with one again until a few years ago. Plus, the stage lighting for her NY speech was obviously perfectly terrible and even makes me wonder if she did have plastic surgery after all!

(Still better than the constant rubberband-ponytails on her daughter CP Victoria though, IMHO-)

On an equally superficial note, wasn't there a World Childhood Foundation Gala supposed to take plce in NY on April 25? No pics whatsoever of that event? I'd be happy to see some & thankful for anybody who could post it here -

Yeah.. The headband is the first thing I noticed when I saw that pic. But more puzzling to me is why would she wear that in New York? Of all places?

The fight to grant permanent residency to asylum-seeking children suffering from apathy has stepped up a gear thanks to King Carl XVI Gustaf. A weighty blow to the government says the press while campaigners in the children's corner cheer on.

King Carl XVI Gustaf took up the plight of Sweden's apathetic refugee kids on Tuesday saying: "It's is terrible what is happening with these poor children."

The king was in Haparanda in the far north of Sweden to inaugurate a memorial for the 70,000 Finnish children who crossed the border into Sweden during World War II. Speaking afterwards, the press took an opportune moment to catch a comment from His Majesty.

"It's good that the press take up the issue so that we can have an orderly discussion about the situation," said King Carl XVI Gustaf.

Earlier this month, the Swedish Parliament voted against granting permanent residency to a number of apathetic asylum-seeking children, which caused an outcry in the ongoing debate. According to Wednesday's Aftonbladet the royal words have given comfort and hope to families of the children in question.

"It's feels like magic that the king cares about us," said the brother of an apathetic 13 year old. His family are facing a looming threat of deportation back to Kazakhstan.

"Suddenly we have a little glimmer of hope. I think that ordinary people listen to what the king says and perhaps the government should do the same."

Priest Michael Williams, chairman of the Swedish Network of Asylum and Refugee Support Groups echoed the view that the king's statement was of great significance.

"He was diplomatic but very clear. It is great to experience a wave of empathy and compassion. I hope it leads to a public sense of feeling that we are not wrong."

While Aftonbladet portrayed the royal remarks as an attack on the government Dagens Nyheter pointed out that the king refused to comment on the state's handling of the apathetic children affair.

Meanwhile Wednesday's Svenska Dagbladet reports that the number of cases of apathetic refugee children has risen dramatically. In the first investigation of its kind, the number of children known to be affected has risen from 55 cases in 2002 to 155 cases in 2004.

The majority of children come from the former Soviet Union (61.5 per cent) and the former Yugoslavia (26 per cent).According to the survey presented in DN, 410 children in total have been treated for varying degrees of apathy syndrome, around a third of which are residing in Stockholm. Of those, around 30 per cent have been granted permanent residency while 15 per cent have had their applications turned down.

The symptoms associated with the apathetic state have varied from refusing to go to school and becoming withdrawn and uncommunicative to the dramatic step of being tube fed.

Following contact with European counterparts, authorities here believe this is somewhat of a Swedish phenomenon. Germany and Holland have no knowledge of apathetic children while in Norway and Finland there has been seven and four cases respectively. Nine of those children had moved from Sweden.

The Local

Yesterday, Tuesday 3 May, the King attended the Swedish Association for Hunting and Wildlife Management’s annual meeting and following dinner in connection with their 175th jubilee. It is being held in Umeå in Västerbotten County. Here's a pic from Västerbottenskuriren.

Attachments

• Jägareförbundet stämma 3 maj 2005.jpg
    Jägareförbundet stämma 3 maj 2005.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 271
I wonder, what the family has planned for the prolonged weeked. Probably something together, because they all have days off. Well, high likely we will never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom