Its a Girl: HRH Princess Adrienne Josephine Alice of Sweden: March 9, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard the you tube of the king pronouncing the name and he says “aahd-rienne” not ay-drin a la rocky

From twitter:
According to Swedish publication Svenskdam, there's a story behind the name Adrienne. Madeleine's mother, Queen Silvia, has loved the name for years, and even considered it for her own daughter, Madeleine in 1982.

In Portugal is Adriana, and I know several Adriana, two of them being my friends. It's a common name, but its the first time I hear it as a princess name, I always thought of Adriana/Adrienne as a commoner's name and not royal, so it's a brief of fresh air. The first "A" of the name is pronounced with a strong "A" as opposed to the english variant of "ay". I like the swedish version way better.

i guess estelle was also not a name typically associated with being a royal name, but there we go (yes, i know about Estelle Bernadotte, but she was married into royalty rather than born into it). the swedes like innovating!

Last edited:
Well; I would never have guessed Adrienne, but it's a really pretty name and I like the backstory behind it. Josephine Alice is a lot more predictable. Overall Madeleine has chosen a nice name and I like the pattern the SRF seem to be following with the unpredictable first name and more predictable middle names.

I wonder if Madeleine pronounces the name in the swedish version and if Chris pronounces in the english version...

It is also the christening anniversary of Princess Leonore!

8th June was an expected date for the christening. No surprises there!

I noticed that Adrienne is one of the names of a distant royal relative, HIH Stephanie Louise ADRIENNE, Grand Duchess of Baden (nee Princesse de Beauharnais) Do we know if that might have been the royal connection, that influenced Madeleine's decsicion? Have to admit the history geek in me was hoping for a renaissance of Astrid, Ingrid, or Sybilla. However, it's growing on me, and seeing this historical connection has made me like it even more.

We don't know if there was a family link at all that inspired them, or they simply liked the name. Like Nicolas and Leonor may have been chosen as variations of family names (Eleanora and her Uncle by marriage Niclas), they may have also just been names they liked.

If it is to honor family, it is more likely for Adrienne de Graville, great-great grandmother of Empress Josephine. It is more likely an honor to someone's first name, then one of their secondary.

Adrienne is found in some of the minor lines of the family as well. Folke Bernadotte's older brother Carl Oscar had a granddaughter Madeleine d'Arbin. Madeleine has a daughter named Adrienne.

Stephanie of Baden is of only remote relation. Her father was first cousins with Eugene's father Alexander.

I am glad they didn't reuse names like Ingrid, Astrid or Sibylla. The names have been used plenty, nice for a fresh name when more distant from the throne.

Didn’t mean to start a tussel, and of course in this day and age the pressure to conform is less and less stringent. A parent, royal or not, should have the right to name their child what they want. It just caught my eye while reading on the “descendants” of The Bonaparte/Beauharnais dynasty and wondered if it caught the eye of Madeleine while looking at the royal connections of her past. Heard that her cousin Queen Astrid was reading the biography of the Empress Josephine fell in love with the name and hence we had HRH Grand Duchess JOSEPHINE-Charlotte. It was more than likely inspired by something completely different, and less romantic but hey, a little fairytale can’t hurt.

Thread Tidied up ,for heavens sakes no more bickering over a baby name or simply use the ignore feature in future

Last edited:
Oh what a beautiful photo! It seems to me that Princess Adrienne has darker hair than her brother and sister, but time will tell if it stays that way.

I love how Madeleine shares photos with the public, very sweet.

Aw, that's such a sweet photo of Madeleine and little Adrienne, who looks so warm and cosy in her mother's arms.

Very sweet and beautiful pictures. Motherhood suits princess Madeleine.
Many thanks for sharing links to the pictures principessa and polyesco :flowers:

A happy family!

It was probably too hard to include lively Leonore and Nicolas in the pictures.

We have the first photo, of her with her big brother and sister ?

Such sweet photos of the parents with her.:flowers:

I kind of wish there was one of her with just daddy. I have a thing for daddy/daughter pics. I love that bond.

I love that we've been getting a lot of photos of little Adrienne lately. Madeleine and Chris seem delighted with their newest member of the family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom