Its a Girl: HRH Princess Adrienne Josephine Alice of Sweden: March 9, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the name too. Very classy, lovely name.

The only Swedish names I really haven’t cared for much are Estelle and Oscar.

All Swedish babies have lovely names.

Its a Girl -3rd Child for Princess Madeleine & Chris O'Neill

I thought it may have grown on me —- No such luck. I dislike it as much as I dislike Estelle. Odd that neither Victoria nor Madeleine have chosen the name Sybilla.

Of course, they did ask me. LOL!

Love the name, and like others it's the only one I like in the whole repertoire of Swedish baby names.

Me too. I only like Alexander and Adrienne. Estelle and Oscar sound blah, Gabriel too simple compared to the strong name that his brother has and Leonore and Nicolas too harsh.

Not a fan of the name Adrienne, not my favorite name. Leonore and Nicolas are very soft, pretty names and I guess I was thinking another like it. Adrienne just sounds harsh when paired with the siblings' names. Love Josephine and Alice though, wish one of those would have been used as a first name.

I think exactly the opposite. Leonore and Nicolas are not soft and pretty, but very harsh. Adrienne sounds lovely, princess-y.

How many of the king's grandchildren have visited their duchies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn
Josephine from Chris's grandmother (Paul O'Neill's mother) and Madeleine and Alice from Madeleine's grandmothers (one of Sibylla's names was Alice).

Queen Silvia's mother's name is Alice.

I don't like the name Adrianne for some reason. I especially did not expect a born royal to bear it. Nevertheless, I love her other names. I'm happy that Silvia's mother Alice is being honored in her great granddaughters name.

beautiful, unusual name, at least the first one, Adrienne. love Alice.

I don't like the name Adrianne for some reason. I especially did not expect a born royal to bear it. Nevertheless, I love her other names. I'm happy that Silvia's mother Alice is being honored in her great granddaughters name.

I don't like "Adrienne" for girls but I love it in the male form "Adrian" for boys. Anyway for a Royal princess I really dislike it, it sounds very...mundane I guess is the right word.

But then I feel the same way about "Estelle" and "Oscar". I just can't get used to them. :sad:

I guess it hardly matters....all of the Swedish Royal children are enchanting no matter their names!

I was hoping for this pronunciation, I like it much more than the English one. Nice name all together and now Alice is my number one guess for baby Cambridge3.

I wish I understood Swedish, the King seems to be entertaining everyone with his comments.
Alice is in honour of Silvia’s mother. Nice that Gabriel and Adrienne have names from the Queen’s parents.

So, how are we to pronounce the name. The king didn't pronounce the 'ne' at the end the first time but he did the second time. So, now I am confused.

So, how are we to pronounce the name. The king didn't pronounce the 'ne' at the end the first time but he did the second time. So, now I am confused.

He pronounced it properly, at least the way I heard it. Ad-re-en. The e at the end is silent. ?

I must say I quite like the name. I may be a bit bias as it is a form of my family name. I can say now I share a name with a royal princess :flowers:

I had hoped a nod to the queen, but I guess they did by using her mother's name. Considering that Sibylla had Alice among her middle names, they have managed between Leonor and Adrienne, to honor all 4 of their grandmothers. Maria honored both Eva and her mother, Josephine for Paul O'Neil's mother, and Alice for both Madeleine's grandmothers.

Me too. I only like Alexander and Adrienne. Estelle and Oscar sound blah, Gabriel too simple compared to the strong name that his brother has and Leonore and Nicolas too harsh.

Oscar may sound blah, but of the seven royal grandchildren, he is the only one with a Swedish royal name.

He pronounced it properly, at least the way I heard it. Ad-re-en. The e at the end is silent. ?
That's how I heard it the first time when he announced her full name (and comparable to hoe princess Ariane's name is pronounce) but a few sentences later he seemed to pronounce 'ne' very softly at the end.

Did you hear the difference as well? How would are swedish members pronounce the name?

I would have NEVER though of Adrienne. I love it though. It very different for Madeline considering she pick two name already in use in other households. Leonore is used in Spain and Belgium (Elenore) and Nicolas is in Denmark. I am not a fan of Alice however. I actually picked it as one of the names should the Duchess of Cambridge have a girl.

Don't forget there is also another Leonore (written exactly the sme, so not Leonor nor Eleonore) is countess Leonore of Oranje-Nassau (who is in a comparable position to the new born princess as the third child of the third child but countess Leonire is a few places higher in line to the throne).

And there is a prince Nicolas of Belgium as well!

The name Adrienne might be converted to princess Ariadna is Spanish; if so the Spanish press would talk about princess Ariadna of the Netherlands (Ariane) and princess Ariadna of Sweden (Adrienne).

The name Adrienne might be converted to princess Ariadna is Spanish; if so the Spanish press would talk about princess Ariadna of the Netherlands (Ariane) and princess Ariadna of Sweden (Adrienne).

Spanish quivalent of the name Adrienne is Adriana, not Ariadna.

That's how I heard it the first time when he announced her full name (and comparable to hoe princess Ariane's name is pronounce) but a few sentences later he seemed to pronounce 'ne' very softly at the end.

Did you hear the difference as well? How would are swedish members pronounce the name?

It is meant to be soft.... as in en. Like Jennifer, Ken, not the Anne sounding of Ariane. The double nne sounding is much softer. Its a French name, and pronounced as such, should have the softer ending.

Ariane

vs

Adrienne

I find some people do pronounce it with anne ending to it, even with my spelling Adrian. But it should be a soft en sound.

:previous: The "Ariane" one sounds coming from an english speaking person? Imo P.Ariane of the NL for instance probably pronounces her name slightly different

here's the name Ariane in German f.i.

:previous: The "Ariane" one sounds coming from an english speaking person? Imo P.Ariane of the NL for instance probably pronounces her name slightly different

here's the name Ariane in German f.i.

Odd, sounds more like Ariana, not Ariane, the way the ending is. Never heard it with German pronunciation I guess.

Adrienne though is French, and definitely the e would be silent at the end, ending with en not an ena sound like Ariane.

Ariane is supposedly also a french name, at least in the way the king pronounces her name, so silent 'e'. So, the names have many similarities. Long (Dutch) a (like Adrienne), ri (long i, compare 'ee' in steel'), ending with 'aan' (for 'a' same sound as first 'a', like 'a' in Chicago).

Sorry for derailing the discussion about little princess Adrienne. The king clearly pronounced it differently than the French video. So, it isn't about what the theoretically correct pronounciation is but how Madeleine and Chris would pronounce her name, and the king's pronounciation is probably closest.

Last edited:
Note how the Swedes such as the PM and the Speaker pronounce it in the other video. It is not like the French pronunciation.

Pretty name. To an American’s ears, it sounds like the king pronounced it nearly like Audrey-ENN. The first a has an ah sound and the last syllable is en. An American would pronounce the first part with a long a — AY-DREE-an.

I do like the names of the other children in the family. Estelle is a pretty and sophisticated name meaning Star. Leonore has the same pronunciation difficulties as above. I gather it is supposed to be pronounced Leonora.

I don't know if it is a good idea to tittle Princes Madeleine 3 Children as their father is a communor.
When they will be adults they will have less privacy , they will never live in Sweden. What do you think.
The King Sisters's children were not tittled and had their father , head of the family, surname.

Most people these days see both parents as co-heads of the family.

I like the name Adrienne, and the pattern of choosing a name they like for the first name, with family names for the middles. It's a perfect balance between new and old.

In Portugal is Adriana, and I know several Adriana, two of them being my friends. It's a common name, but its the first time I hear it as a princess name, I always thought of Adriana/Adrienne as a commoner's name and not royal, so it's a brief of fresh air. The first "A" of the name is pronounced with a strong "A" as opposed to the english variant of "ay". I like the swedish version way better.

I am enjoying the name that parents picked as it is what they wanted who are the only ones that are important. People will just have to accept. I remember the outcry when Mary and Fred picked Vincent. Now they accept, if not, oh well. Happens all the time even in everyone's personal family.

I like the selection of Josephine as one of Adrienne's middle names. What a wonderful tribute to Queen Josephine of Sweden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom