It's a Girl for Autumn and Peter: Isla Elizabeth Phillips - March 29, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What name did Queen Victoria veto?

Perhaps 'veto' isn't the best term. Victoria was enormously influential when it came to the names of her grandchildren. They more or less all have the names Albert, Victor or Victoria in there somewhere. The future Edward VII and Queen Alexandra named their first born son and heir Prince Albert Victor, although he was always known within the family as Eddy, suggesting to me that perhaps Albert Victor hadn't been their first choice. Victoria was always very much involved in the naming and seems to have got her way most, if not all the time.

Isla (Eye-la) is not exactly an unknown name north of the border in Scotland.

I didn't know how the name was pronounced, so was glad you posted this. I would have pronounced it Is-la (with a short "i" and soft "s"). Congratulations to the family on their new little bundle of joy.

Last edited:
Congratulations to all family :heartflower: Lovely name :heart:

diana choose william, charles want to call him arthur. and i think louise was named elzaneth too, I right?

I know this is off-topic (sorry!), but does anyone know if this is true? I could've sworn William was named after Prince William of Gloucester who was something of a personal hero for Prince Charles.

I know this is off-topic (sorry!), but does anyone know if this is true? I could've sworn William was named after Prince William of Gloucester who was something of a personal hero for Prince Charles.

That's the only version of William's naming I've ever heard as well.
Both the Wikipedia article on William of Glouceester and the Daily Mail article support that as well.

Congratulations to the family! :flowers:

The future Edward VII & Alexandra didn't name their elder son, Queen Victoria did. Their choice was Edward (hence the family's name of Eddy) but one of the father's younger brothers broke the news that their mother had beaten him to the punch with Albert Victor.

The Prince William of Gloucester story has only surfaced recently. In 1982 the story was "there hasn't been a William in the family for some time." The tale about Prince Charles wanting Arthur has been around a long time too.

All best wishes to Isla Elizabeth! A fine nod to her great grandmama in Diamond Jubilee year, and to her great great grandmama as we commemorate 10 years since the great lady's death.

Must confess to an Australian snigger thanks to Isla Fisher from Home & Away!

A little Aries girl named Isla Elizabeth - how lovely!
Congratulations to Autumn, Peter and the big sister Savannah as well as congrats to the entire BRF! :flowers:

An Aries granddaughter should get along very well with her Leo grandma (Princess Anne)!

Isla (Eye-la) is not exactly an unknown name north of the border in Scotland.

I was on my way to ask how to pronounce her name when I noted your post. Thank you for that.

Savannah is a city in America; Isla has a British connotation. I know AUtumn is Canadian, but it seems that Peter and Autumn have both the American continent and British Isles covered, seeing as how they sort of have a 'mixed' marriage (in that they weren't born in the same country).
Both names are lovely; congratulations to the couple.

I wonder why no-one in the family has given their daughter the Christian name of Elizabeth. Do you think it's being saved for a daughter of William and Catherine?

I wonder why no-one in the family has given their daughter the Christian name of Elizabeth. Do you think it's being saved for a daughter of William and Catherine?

I hope they don't call their daugther Elizabeth. I want a Queen Charlotte or Alexandra again!

I like that the majority of the Queen's granddaugthers have Elizabeth in their name. It's a lovely tribute.

I hope they don't call their daugther Elizabeth. I want a Queen Charlotte or Alexandra again!

A bit off topic, but there has never actually been a Queen named Charlotte or Alexandra, at least not Queens like the present one.
Both Queen Charlotte and Queen Alexandra were Queens Consort (wives of a Monarch), whereas Elizabeth II is a Monarch herself (Queen Regnant).

A first-born child of William and Kate's, if a girl, is likely to be named after one of the previous Queens Regnant (and not Queens Consort), so the choice is a bit limited:
- Mathilde (Empress Matilda, if assumed as successor to her father, Henry I, then first Queen Regnant of England; her reign is, however, disputed)
- Jane (Lady Jane Grey only reigned for nine days and her reign is disputed as well)
- Mary (Mary I and II, Mary I being the first undisputed Queen of England)
- Anne (Queen Anne - the last Monarch of England and Scotland, and first Monarch of Great Britain)
- Victoria (Queen Victoria)
- Elizabeth (Elizabeth I and II)

Happy for them, I hope we will see a pic one day...

Let's get back on topic...the birth of Isla...not the speculative names of a Cambridge baby.

Curious how Isla is pronounced. Is it Is-lah - or is it Eye-s-lah?

I remember when Charles and Diana were married and having babies talk about naming any possible daughter Elizabeth. So perhaps that's the same possibility for the Cambridges.

I love the name , it's very pretty, yet not common.

Last edited:
Congrats to them both I think the name is lovely and the timing was brilliant. I am glad it was announced this time around. By keeping it so secret last time it just caused more interest by just saying it, it is out there and people will be happy. Maybe Savannah's middle name is Anne or something form Autumn's family. We may never really know for sure unless someone tells us. So glad the baby is here is and all are safe and healthy.

It is pronounced Eye-lah. :)

Ah, very sweet. :flowers: I 'knew' an Isla Jane once - on a posting Board. I always mentally read it as Is-la Jane. I stand corrected - Eye-lah Jane. What's the origins - Scottish?

Elizabeth is a nice nod to the queen mum, too! Congratulations to them. Such a pretty name. Looking forward of the christening pictures already...

congratulation autumn and peter well done and what a beautiful name

Congratulations to Autumn, Peter and Savannah!

Isla Elizabeth is a very beautiful name.

Artemisia, that's an interesting list of reigning Queens' names.
I don't think there would be any need to duplicate them, however.
If Beatrice, for example, were to become Queen her name would be legally acceptable - wouldn't it? I think that 'Savannah' might even be legally allowed should, God forbid, some terrible misfortune overcome the rest of the Royal family. Does anyone know whether only certain restricted names are accepted for a regent?

Molly2101 said:
It is pronounced Eye-lah. :)

I've always heard it pronounced Is-La. Particularly in reference to the actress.

I would never have considered it pronounced anything other than Eye-lah. Admittedly, the first person I thought of when I heard the name was the actress Isla Fisher, who has the 'honour' of being married to Sacha Baron Cohen of Ali G and Borat fame.

I loved the names.
Congratulations to the young couple and to Savannah, as well, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom