How should Prince William spend the next few years?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He should do more for Scotland!
Charles and Camilla are the Prince and Princess of Scotland. I don't really see what William could do for Scotland. :flowers:

He could eat a deep fried pizza.

With the threat of being banned, I'm not going to mention sheep.

Who's threatened you with banning? (I mean recently)

Nobody. But if I do a Welsh baaaah gag I may get shown the door.

Charles and Camilla are the Prince and Princess of Scotland. I don't really see what William could do for Scotland. :flowers:

I don't see what William can do for Scotland that isn't done already by the entire (or almost entire) royal family. With Anne heading up the Scottish Rugby Union, and the rest of the royals worshipping the soil at Balmoral and Birkhall, and with William already giving his prize studentship to a Scottish university......... it seems to me that if any countries within the UK can benefit from more attention from the royal family, it is more likely Northern Ireland or Wales. I know Charles and Camilla visit Wales annually, but in my opinion.... much more could be done for Wales. I mean, William could reach out to Welsh culture and try to befriend some Welsh people and promote Welsh charities, etc. I think it would only serve for good for all concerned if he would open his mind to it. It would highlight matters important to Welsh people and it would give William a sense of purpose.

this is indeed a great thread.I don't agree with the posts said that William should do nothing because he is still young "I don't consider 25 years old young anymore to complete his studies at different fields that will be useful for him at the future such as political sciences ,economy and law.besides,he should be involved in official engagements and charity works ,maybe some organizations that his late mother had adopted.this will be very nice and useful as he can complete his mother work and gain experience."
I think William should be aware that his father will be the king at anytime "God save the queen ,ofcourse", he will be the prince of wales and the heir and at that time,there will be no time for completing studies or preparing for royal duties.

I don't think anyone is saying that William should sit and his rump and do nothing, at least I have not interperted anyone in favor of that.

IMO I would not say he has done nothing, he has graduated from college, (hardly nothing), he went into the army and graduated from Sandhurst. Anyone that knows anything about any military training would hardly say this is doing nothing.

William and Harry organized the whole tribute to his mother which we all enjoyed just a few months ago, and raised a lot of money to support his mother's chairities Diana, Princess of Wales Memoria Fund, National Aids Trust, and Centerpoint, of which he took over patronage from his mother (forgive me if I forgot any) I would guess these charities are not complaining that William did nothing for them. These are just a few examples, I am sure people can add other useful things he had done in his young life.

Next month I believe he will go on duty with the Royal Airforce, then the Royal Navy, following the footsteps of his father. That seemed to be okay for Prince Charles.

My point is, that he has done more than most 25 year olds in the US at this point in his life, so heaven forbid if he have a steady girlfriend and goes out to parties. I see that as nothing but normal for a 25 year old.

I think people should just lighten up on him. He seems to have a very good head on his shoulders and will do just fine. I am all for letting him be young while he morphs into his role. Where is the fire? Let him take his time.

JMO:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
How long was he with Whithall Recently?

Yes, for two weeks I believe it was the first two weeks in December. During that time also spent one day in Germany.

William should imo spend the next few years enjoying his life just like any other single guy (dont see him doing any of the example, clubbing, night clubs with friends when he is a crown prince) out there and still have a few events which will prepare him for his future role. Maybe taking on abit more of responsibilities.
Maybe also going on to continuing studies would be a great idea...

Just a reminder that this thread isn't for comparisons between William and other crown princes (and princesses).

Thanks.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Prince Charles has said something to the effect that he lives his life not as the future King but as the Prince of right now and I think that's perfect advice for William. The monarchs of England are notoriously long lived and it will be some time before William takes the throne or even becomes the Prince of Wales. He can afford a bit of breathing room for travel, study and self exploration.

As a point of reference, what were the plans for Queen Victoria's grandsons and heirs when they came of age? All I know is that she tried to marry the Duke of Clarence to Mary of Teck and then when he died at a young age, she married off the second son George to Mary.

That's the only training I remember they had which is not much training at all. Is that correct?

Other than that George had a Navy career but that was before he became heir.

I had a think about this, after all others leave the army after serving as officers.... :D He could work in security, but that would mean the security man had a security man, mmm
Work in the city, possibly at Coutts as a cashier, but where to put his security man.
I can't see him working in insurance, being a civil servant could also have it's problems... how easy would it have been to blame him for losing those discs? :D

Perhaps he should continue as he is doing, he has an exciting time coming up in the airforce and navy. Further time to serve in the army, training as an estate manager at Windsor.

He may be getting on, but apart from the occasional lapse with the booze, I don't think there is much different he could do. :flowers:

As a point of reference, what were the plans for Queen Victoria's grandsons and heirs when they came of age? All I know is that she tried to marry the Duke of Clarence to Mary of Teck and then when he died at a young age, she married off the second son George to Mary.

That's the only training I remember they had which is not much training at all. Is that correct?

Other than that George had a Navy career but that was before he became heir.

I think with both the Duke of Clarence and the future Edward VIII, their training consisted largely of travels around the Commonwealth to get an idea of how the Commonwealth countries were being administered. Since the Duke of Clarence was so rootless and lethargic, his younger brother accompanied him on his travels; in the case of Edward Prince of Wales, he went off on his own while his younger brother Bertie concentrated on his naval career and then on doing royal duties in Britain after his marriage.

I think with both the Duke of Clarence and the future Edward VIII, their training consisted largely of travels around the Commonwealth to get an idea of how the Commonwealth countries were being administered. Since the Duke of Clarence was so rootless and lethargic, his younger brother accompanied him on his travels; in the case of Edward Prince of Wales, he went off on his own while his younger brother Bertie concentrated on his naval career and then on doing royal duties in Britain after his marriage.

Before the Duke of Clarence's betrothal to Princess May of Teck in late 1891 Queen Victoria wanted him to go on an extensive tour of European courts to familiarize him with their customs, languages and the countries themselves. She considered the Duke and his younger brother Prince George `too English` and was not happy that they failed to speak foreign languages, particularly French and German adequately. She wanted the Duke to become `more cosmopolitan`. Her plans were vetoed by the Duke's parents the Prince and Princess of Wales who chose instead that he become engaged to Princess May with marriage to follow in early 1892.

Interesting, Roderick. Edward, Prince of Wales, had started his adulthood by a trip to Canada and the United States. Interesting that Victoria was thinking of something similar for her grandsons.

I think he should take another trip to the USA! I also would love to see him flying a plane and rescuing people. Like he said that he wanted to do in the interview.

I see Prince William wanting a much more gritty experience rather than all suited up shaking hands of dignitaries of the Commonwealth for a nice photo op.. I envision Prince William wanting to tackle the more riveting and painful of the true human experience of his future subjects all over the Commonwealth....He confounds those advisors who want him to be a clone of his father....I assume!

I see William being a humanitarian rather than soldier and using his military training to become a peacemaker/diplomat rather than warrior prince... He might just be the one future leader who has all the answers and can bridge the huge gap of the "haves" and the "have nots".

I am sure he would love to get out in the world and do all sorts of things but his personality sometimes superseeds the popularity of his father's. So there is this delicate balance of making sure Prince Charles is promoted as "King in waiting". I would assume Prince William is doing an awful lot of good things behind the scenes that is rarely reported....He is the star, the hope, the future...

MBA for William?

Would it surprise anyone if William did go to the U.S. and study for a Master's in Business? I think that seeing some world leaders, including in the U.S. like Bush, that business is the way to go because of the internal workings of a nation and the international importance of business these days. Although History is a great discipline...you learn the ways of the world in this area.

Would it surprise anyone if William did go to the U.S. and study for a Master's in Business? I think that seeing some world leaders, including in the U.S. like Bush, that business is the way to go because of the internal workings of a nation and the international importance of business these days. Although History is a great discipline...you learn the ways of the world in this area.

I believe we had this discussion before, but again: why should he go to the US? He's going to be an European Head of State and thus, I'd think, the European view is more important, which has been covered by his history degree already. IMHO after he had proved his "manhood" on becoming a soldier, he should prove his ability to become Head of State of an EU-country by working for a time at EU Headquarters in Brussels.

As for "business is the way to go" - at the moment the way state financed banks, secure in their invincibility (if something goes wrong, the taxpayer will cover the bill), allow the markets to become mere objects of speculation - I doubt it is necessary for William to learn about these workings in the abstractness it is teached at university if he at the same time can practically learn how to help those poor people who suffer because of the financial effects of those speculations through charity work.
:flowers:

It wouldn't surprise me if he studied business (although, maybe it would surprise me if he went back to school), but it would surprise me if he did it in the US. He would more than likely do it in the UK or in another Commonwealth Realm if he did.

While I think it would definitely be a good idea for him to study business since he'll one day be responsible for the Duchy of Cornwall and the businesses his father build up, I don't think this will happen since it will only keep him from full-time royal duties even longer. The British public already seems unhappy with the effort William makes and not regard him as hard-working enough hence I doubt that they would see him getting a masters degree abroad positively. But he could of course study in the UK.

Personaly I think he should be trained as a Diplomat (that could and would) come in handy as the years go by. Get a taste of other Countries and how to handle himself around other World Leaders. Although I don't think Kate would be an asset on the world stage. Most important get him away from his small circle of clubbing friends and out in the real world.

He needs to do more royal duties,and less holiday's with little miss muffet who sat on her tuffet.:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom