How should Prince William spend the next few years?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, in another thread (Camilla attending Diana's memorial), a couple of members discussed their disappointment in William's actions of late. They feel he is acting more like a celebrity than a member of the British Royal Family.

I think he could be a little more discrete with his personal life (i.e. the night clubbing) but on the other hand I think its a little unfair to compare William at 25/26 to his grandmother and/or his father at the same age. Its a different time (i.e. the media). Should he take on more engagements?

What do you think?

Personally, I have a view that Royals fit into two categories. They're either Alices or Margarets. The Alices are demure, quite low-key and carry out lots of engagements and take on lots of patronages. They're not averse to appearing in uniform and are quite happy to shake 10,000 hands and seem genuinely interested in everyone they meet. They'll attend dinner parties and luncheons and generally tick every Debretts box. Never touched by scandal, they're rarely mentioned by the media and when they die, they're hailed as a perfect specimen. And then you have the Margarets, who court controversy, carry out the engagements and appear as regal as you like but in private are very feisty and enjoy a good knees up. They're usually responsible for the funniest quips and are less Queen Mary but retain their position through careful handling of their private lives. So which is William? Well, I don't see him as either. At the moment, he's in a strange limbo where he has the money, the breeding and the castle but he prefers to behave like a commoner. His engagements are zero, his patronages almost non-existant and his military career a convenient way of wasting a few years which will entitle him to sport medals in his future portraits. He either has to become an Alice or a Margaret but whatever he chooses, he has to do it quickly because he's becoming quite the bore.

Personally, I have a view that Royals fit into two categories. They're either Alices or Margarets. The Alices are demure, quite low-key and carry out lots of engagements and take on lots of patronages. They're not averse to appearing in uniform and are quite happy to shake 10,000 hands and seem genuinely interested in everyone they meet. They'll attend dinner parties and luncheons and generally tick every Debretts box. Never touched by scandal, they're rarely mentioned by the media and when they die, they're hailed as a perfect specimen. And then you have the Margarets, who court controversy, carry out the engagements and appear as regal as you like but in private are very feisty and enjoy a good knees up. They're usually responsible for the funniest quips and are less Queen Mary but retain their position through careful handling of their private lives. So which is William? Well, I don't see him as either. At the moment, he's in a strange limbo where he has the money, the breeding and the castle but he prefers to behave like a commoner. His engagements are zero, his patronages almost non-existant and his military career a convenient way of wasting a few years which will entitle him to sport medals in his future portraits. He either has to become an Alice or a Margaret but whatever he chooses, he has to do it quickly because he's becoming quite the bore.

I agree totally.

The experiment of raising the second in line to the throne to believe that he is 'normal' has failed with regard to William IMHO as he simply doesn't seem to want to do any of the royal things. He is quickly turning me into a republican.

I hope that his father lives a good 40 more years at least!!

We're beginning to get a rather worryingly large number of fledgling republicans as a result of this incident, I must say.

I agree totally.

The experiment of raising the second in line to the throne to believe that he is 'normal' has failed with regard to William IMHO as he simply doesn't seem to want to do any of the royal things. He is quickly turning me into a republican.

I hope that his father lives a good 40 more years at least!!

Perhaps he wants the best of both worlds. But me, I would love to be able to walk in his shoes for about a year or so.

I would love to be able to pay large sums of cash for the 'privacy' he paid for when he jaunted off to the Seychelles. In fact, I would love to have the cash just to go to the Seychelles.

I wouldn't mind meeting and greeting because I have that personality. Then during off-time, I have personal projects I'm interested in doing that my work doesn't allow me to get too involved in.

Then there's the skiing, boating, safari, hunting (does he do this anymore?), jet-setting (yes both Harry and William are really novice jet-setters IMHO).

Then to go to the country either to Highgrove, Sandringham or Balmoral--away from the big city. A wonderful life.

And, in a crazy world like we are living in, to have our own security and bodyguards making sure we are safe from kidnappings, bombings, etc. is a bonus. Wow, I forgot about the exotic meals, free seats during invites to premiers, operas, concerts, football, cricket, etc.

Finally, I would love to be able to be called to a meal that I need not to worry about in terms of menu, recipes, costs, shopping for it, etc., and then to push myself away thank the servants (I would do this) and take a brandy in from of the tele and just relax before heading off to my bedchamber knowing full well that my fireplace is lit, room is at the right temperature, my bed pulled down and my bath smells like lilies and not to mention that I need not to worry about being the place being broken into (unless I'm sleeping at BP) while I dream about what group of islands or snow-capped mountains I planned on visiting again. I surely would love to live that life and I'm not afraid to admit it. Then again, I may regret it and wish for the end to come.

Perhaps William likes it both ways as well. His office was able to call up where he wanted to go and get the security and paparazzi restriction he wanted. And, when he left he returned to the life of country gent. Afterall, he could have returned to his barracks in the London finalizing Friday's commemoration instead of opting for Birkhall and the elegance.

Ah to be a king-in-waiting for a year.:)

Anyone else up to the challenge, if you could have both worlds?

Last edited:
We're beginning to get a rather worryingly large number of fledgling republicans as a result of this incident, I must say.
I've noticed the same thing. Even my Great Great Aunt said, "Bloody Royals" on the telephone yesterday and she'd have forgiven them baby eating at one time. It's all very surreal don't you find? Here everyone is saying Charles is the worry and yet it seems William is the one breeding republicans.

I don't know. I think I'd prefer to be a mistress than a proper spouse and as for King in Waiting. It's too much these days. But that doesn't mean William shouldn't make an effort. I wonder if he reads these forums. If he does and is reading this; Do some bloody work.

Potentially William has another 20 (or more) years before he succeeds to the throne. It is therefore important that he carve out his own niche in terms of what he is going to do over this time period. He can do his stint in the military and the FO and whatever government departments he so chooses, but in addition to that, it is important that there are certain causes he is closely associated with. It is also important that he is seen to be a hard working royal in the mould of say, Princess Anne. If these things are being taken care of, I doubt anybody would mind him seen coming out of night clubs regularly, or taking 3-4 holidays a year as most well to-do Brits do. Comments??

You have my total agreement as well. William and Harry are doing more harm to the monarchy than Charles and Camilla ever could. They need to decide whether they are indeed royals, or just celebrity kids, like Fifi Trixiebelle.
It really isn't so rare you know. To get all of that and more, (the freedom to really enjoy it), all you have to do if you haven't got the family connections, is have lots of money! :D

You have my total agreement as well. William and Harry are doing more harm to the monarchy than Charles and Camilla ever could. They need to decide whether they are indeed royals, or just celebrity kids, like Fifi Trixiebelle.
It really isn't so rare you know. To get all of that and more, (the freedom to really enjoy it), all you have to do if you haven't got the family connections, is have lots of money! :D

My vaults are open, Skydragon...email me and I'll send you my routing number for transfer.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::angel:

We've been hearing a lot about "William shouldn't be doing so much clubbing," "there's no point his being in the Army because he'll never see action in a war zone so he's just wasting time," "he shouldn't be pretending to get work experience in the real world when it's just a charade," "he shouldn't be spending so much time with Kate," "he shouldn't be spending so little time with Kate," and a whole lot more about what he shouldn't be doing and why his life is either directionless or going in the wrong direction.

So this thread is for people to post about what they think he should be doing with his life in the immediate future and the foreseeable future. It isn't for people to carry on posting about what he shouldn't be doing, because we've been hearing an awful lot of that recently. Also, please try to avoid comparisons with the European crown princes, because most of them are quite a bit older than William and because William isn't the heir to the throne. He probably doesn't have the prospect of waiting till he's a senior citizen before inheriting the throne, which was always on the cards for Charles, but it's possible that it'll be a while before he inherits and it may even be a while before Charles inherits and William becomes Heir Apparent.

So from now until the time he becomes Heir Apparent, or even King, what should he be doing with his life?

go to university and abroad

I think he should study for another few years at university. As subject, i believe, something useful for an future king would be the best. So not history of arts/geographie, but economics, law, politics... That will make him understand what is going on in the part of the world, he will be head of state of (UK, Canada, Australia, NewSealand,...commonwealth). I found it quite unreasonable not to study one of this degrees in first place. He needs to learn what his constitutional role is and what's going on in the world. He should improve his knowledge in law, politics and economy.
Beside going back to university in the UK, he could attend a foreign uni (USA, Europe...) or go abroad to make an interimship in the british embassy in soundso (China?, Japan?, India?...).

So just learn how the world "works" by studying at uni or interimships abroad. He should start his in one or two years time, when he has finishes military. And he should do so until either he marries or he gets more "jobs" inside the royal family ( representing the royal family, the UK).

I think he should continue his military training, and I think it's good that he try different fields as he seems to be doing right now. Even though he will never go into battle, his training will create an understanding of the situation of soldiers that will grow into respect on both sides. When he approaches or gives speeches to soldiers in the future, his own military training will make him seem more sincere and honest. Also, I think army life is good for all soldiers' personal development. My own brother became so grown up after his military service, he entered as a boy and came back as a young man.

I think it would be good for William to do some more studying in subjects that can be useful to him in the future. He has got a degree of some sort, hasn't he? So he only needs to take some courses as a complement, perhaps something in politics, social sience, environmental issues etc. In between his studies there would be time for him to perform some royal duties, just every once in a while. I think he would gain a lot from doing more official work, such as learning how to talk to and behave around all sorts of people and to cope with his shyness.

All my best to the most gorgeous Prince out there!:wub:

Maybe I am alone in this one, but I don't think he should really be doing anything other that what he is doing. I mean more education in politics, government, economics would be fantastic but if he never did that I wouldn't care. William is not stupid he knows what is coming, I am sure he knows the inner workings of being king by watching what his grandmother does. He knows how much his life will be restricted, so until he has to be he is basically doing nothing. He is doing the army thing, which is fantastic, he needs to do that, but other than that, he is slowly coming into the "official" spotlight and he is really good! I think he needs to go clubbing, he needs to play, because he won't be able to soon. I think he is responsible he will know when it is time to buckle down and accept his life the way it will be, until then i see no reason why she should stop, or start anything. Maybe if this is still going on when he is like 30 but i say until then...;)

I would wish that he develops some real interests. To me he appears to be so boring, having a job where others tell him what to do and spending his free time making a drunken nuisance of himself.

He seems to be a "man without qualities" like "Ulrich" in the novel by Robert Musil (btw - the original book is named "man without characteristics"). Ulrich does have his qualities but he is delusive, fulfilling roles as good as he can but he is never in it with his heart. William does not appear like someone who has an university degree and an intellectual idea of what he would like to do in his life to make a difference.

IMHo he should learn more about how the duchy of Cornwall is run, how he can introduce his own ideas one day. On a more political basis I think he should do such a diplomacy-course like the one Victoria of Sweden recently did - it is important to be able to go for ones goals in a diplomatic but still vigorous way. The military is not longer the only force with which to react to the problems of the world, so he has to have knowledge of the workings of the diplomatic corps.

I don't think he should go back to university, as he has already learned how to work scientifically and academically. Studies in poltics, economics etc. are made for all students to profit from, what William needs is special knowledge for his unique position, knwoledge he can get from specially arranged tuitions.

But most of all I wish he would show that he is a character, not just a Royal doll.

Id like to see him complete Military Duties with maybe a spell in the Marines Chancellor of St Andrews UN Work F.O. Work Marry Kate have Children take on more good cause become Godfather to his new cousin

I'd like to see him continue to do what he is doing...keeping everyone happy by completing his military obligation (nod to father & grandmother); spending time with friends and Kate as often as he can. Once he finishes the military, unless he plans on trying to prolong his royal obligations by going to grad school or something, his life and free time won't be his own. It already isn't.

Id like to see him take the Ambassador role From his Uncle by 2010 if at all possible

I would like to see him visit other countries and get to know other cultures which will help him in the future as King.

Travel the Commonwealth!!!

I'm not much amused that, as an adult, William has not made a single visit to Australia. Infact, I think it's really quite lax.

I'm certain there are enagagements he could attend on behalf of Her Majestry The Queen of Australia or even involve himself and his name with certain organisations and charities, etc.

When you have the Crown Princess of Denmark, notably a legalised Dane and not even within the realm of the British Commonwealth participating in Australian charities, then I see no reason as to why Prince William couldn't lend his services or support.

And I don't just speak for Australia, but for all those countries which retain the Queen as their Head of State. I mean, the guy's part of the Canadian royal family yet what does he do in correlation with Canadian society which would then justify such a destinguished honourary? Very little it would seem.

...he could attend a foreign uni (USA, Europe...)

With all due respect, I would see there being not an ounce of reason behind choosing to study in the US or central Europe. Infact, I would find either of the two inappropriate.

Last edited:
Travel the Commonwealth!!!

I'm not much amused that, as an adult, William has not made a single visit to Australia. Infact, I think it's really quite lax.

Well not strictly accurate, William has visited Australia as an adult, very briefly. On his way to and from New Zealand from the UK, he had brief stopovers in Sydney in 2005. Not exactly the 'grand tour' but he was in Australia as an adult.

As far as the Commonwealth is concerned, William did carry out official duties in New Zealand, he lay a wreath at a war memorial, he planted a tree in Government House and was shown the ones planted by his father and grandfather. As well as some other official duties that I can't remember.

William is still in his 'training' time, he has gradually increased his patronages, but still only has a few. More than likely once he takes on fulltime royal duties he'll have more 'commonwealth' patronages, but although Charles has a few, mainly Australian, the bulk of his charities, organisations etc he supports are UK ones. The British royals divide up the various commonwealth organisations, Canada had become the Earl and Countess of Wessex territory with them making annual visits.

William is following the path laid down for all the future heirs.( European as well as British) University study, time spent in the military, then some future study ( in William's case he's going to have instruction in constitutional history, that's already been announced) then some time to persue their own individual interests. Finally by about their mid '30s fulltime royal duties, whilst his grandmother is still alive and healthy, William is removed from the throne, he's not the heir and this kind of reduces his role and gives him more freedom.

Well not strictly accurate, William has visited Australia as an adult, very briefly. On his way to and from New Zealand from the UK, he had brief stopovers in Sydney in 2005. Not exactly the 'grand tour' but he was in Australia as an adult.
A terminal stop?.lol Oh please. He was on his way to New Zealand. Again, William has made no visit to Australia as an adult and I do think that poor.

And I do believe the name of the topic enables me to put forth what it is I would like to see William do within the next few years.

Last edited:
A terminal stop?.lol Oh please. He was on his way to New Zealand. Again, William has made no visit to Australia as an adult and I do think that poor.​

Oh so Sydney airport terminal isn't in Australia? My goodness quite a few people are in for a shock then if they fly into the Sydney Terminal expecting to be in Australia.

William left the terminal, his stopover got media coverage as it was his first trip to Australia as an adult.

I think Prince William should be starting to take on the mantle of royal duties his father and late mother were both very involved with by the time both were his present age which is 25.

It is not my opinion that he should no longer live as a modern young man who attends football matches and nightclubs at times but I feel the growing perception of him is that he does little but enjoy himself and is not serious about his future role within the British Royal Family.

Last edited:
Oh so Sydney airport terminal isn't in Australia? My goodness quite a few people are in for a shock then if they fly into the Sydney Terminal expecting to be in Australia.

William left the terminal, his stopover got media coverage as it was his first trip to Australia as an adult.
Landing and visiting are two very different things.​
I'm quite surprised anyone would classify a mere stopover at an airport as an actual visit. It got media coverage? Hmm, I don't recall seeing that much of William's en route 'appearance'.
Because he may have landed and spent an hour or so awaiting his next departure does not classify William as having made a visit to Australia in a capacity which would otherwise represent an agenda based on official engagements, or private leisure, being carried out on this continent.​
Yes, he landed but to say he's actually visited Australia (which as we both know, is such a big big place..haha) as an adult? I think not!​

Last edited:
He should Become Godfather to His Cousin The Viscount Severn

Finish his military training, and then get out and do engagements.

Maybe I am alone in this one, but I don't think he should really be doing anything other that what he is doing. I mean more education in politics, government, economics would be fantastic but if he never did that I wouldn't care. William is not stupid he knows what is coming, I am sure he knows the inner workings of being king by watching what his grandmother does. He knows how much his life will be restricted, so until he has to be he is basically doing nothing. He is doing the army thing, which is fantastic, he needs to do that, but other than that, he is slowly coming into the "official" spotlight and he is really good! I think he needs to go clubbing, he needs to play, because he won't be able to soon. I think he is responsible he will know when it is time to buckle down and accept his life the way it will be, until then i see no reason why she should stop, or start anything. Maybe if this is still going on when he is like 30 but i say until then...;)

Agreed 100% Very well said charmed. We noticed all the responsibilities William has but we sometimes forget that he is a 25 year old young man and should be able to act like one when he gets the chance.

IMO he is doing a very good job. What he should do has been dictated to him most of his life, unlike others who have so many choices. He is handling it all very well.

Let him be young while he can. :flowers:

When you have the Crown Princess of Denmark, notably a legalised Dane and not even within the realm of the British Commonwealth participating in Australian charities, then I see no reason as to why Prince William couldn't lend his services or support.
The only reason Mary is involved with any Australian charities is because she was once an Australian citizen.

As for William, I think I'd like to see him travel more widely in an official capacity. It's about time, imo, that he picked up some more tangible duties and not just on an international level.

I know many of popel who feel that both he and his brother are timewasters and imo it's vital that they prove to their subjects that this is simply not the case. Adopting causes that he feels strongly in would be a start, perhaps taking over some of the Queen's duties would be another.

Everyone has put forth interesting and unique ideas. I feel some kind of mix of things like Tilda, Jo, and Madame Royale have posted. I wish to see Prince William study history (because it is a subject that exposes a person to wide range, and maybe even the widest range, of social sciences). I wish to see him study history in Britain or a Commonwealth country. I also wish to see William learn diplomacy. I want to see him do some service in the UK Foreign Office.

As for traveling in the Commonwealth, I will agree that he should do more, but I just want to point out that he has traveled to many Commonwealth countries already: New Zealand in 2005, Sydney airport (haha), :D and to many African countries like Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, Seychelles, Rodrigues Island. He has visited Barbados (that is Commonwealth, I think.)
He should do much more, and he will. He is 25 now. I am sure that he has something like 60 or more years of life ahead! :lol:

Like Jo, I wish Prince William would show more, or develop more character. I expect character will come to him, as it does for many, with age and experience.

P.S. Cap off to Elspeth: This thread is a great idea. Enough with the complaining. Let's dream. Who would our dream Prince William be?

Hmmm...
First of all he should go somewhere alone and think about his life about that what and how he want do. Maybe he should go on some university or
other courses. Has a practice in some ministries in UK or like Victoria in UE.

Than he should think about his girl-friend - is Kate a good material for a wife or not? For his wife?

He should start doing much more engagements specially solo inside UK and Commonwealth and on abroad too. Be more sense and responsible for that
what and how is he doing. He not always will be young 25 years old man. And he can't remember that people always will always forgive him his stupid
things and experiments with drink or anything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom