Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it isn't very much different and it isn't red! However, I must admit that I have grown fond of Harry's Blues and Royals uniform over the years and I shall be sorry to see it go.

Until and unless he gets a colonelcy in the Household Division, I think we'll still see it at the birthday parade each year. They usually only wear uniforms of the household regiments (Prince Edward wears the uniform of the London Regiment, which isn't one of them but is associated with them).

Last edited:
Richard Palmer‏Verified account
@Royalreporter
Following Following @Royalreporter

That full quote, which I slightly misheard at the time, on whether Obama will be invited to the wedding. (Harry) "I don't know about that, we haven't even put the invite or the guest list together, who knows if he's going to be invited or not, I wouldn't want to ruin that surprise."

Given that it’s not a state occasion, the rules will be slightly relaxed when it comes to a guest list so I don’t see what the issue would be if Harry and Meghan wanted the Obamas there. Naturally the press will stoke rumour to sell newspapers but if they’re friends (as they seem to be), it would be odd if they were not invited.

Agree with Skippy, no red uniform:bang:. Not sure about white uniform, I am afraid it would clash with the her dress, too many white (yes I hate Albert's white uniform as much as I love Charlene's gown).

I'm pretty sure he'll be in his blues!

LaRae

Isn't the military dress of his highest rank the blue uniform..or is it the red now?

LaRae

I have no issue at all with a red uniform but that's not going to happen. I like the RM uniform much more than the one Harry wore at William's wedding. I felt that the uniform was wearing him that day, rather than the other way around.

Quite a few royal men have this problem with the worst I remember being Frederik of Denmark when he wears that navy uniform which makes it look like he's playing dress up. He's quickly followed by Albert of Monaco in that white uniform at his wedding which was just awful on so many levels.

I have no issue at all with a red uniform but that's not going to happen. I like the RM uniform much more than the one Harry wore at William's wedding. I felt that the uniform was wearing him that day, rather than the other way around.

Quite a few royal men have this problem with the worst I remember being Frederik of Denmark when he wears that navy uniform which makes it look like he's playing dress up. He's quickly followed by Albert of Monaco in that white uniform at his wedding which was just awful on so many levels.

I think Harry's uniform did suit him, but he was like a deer caught in the headlights on his brother's wedding day. He was "only" Best Man and he looked terrified of standing at the altar :ohmy:
How he has grown. On May 19th he will be standing at the altar himself - in St. George's Chapel, but still. An altar.

I agree about Albert of Monaco's uniform. I totally happen to dislike grooms in white (don't understand why the men choose white but that can also be because I am traditional about wedding attire), but he looked like he drowned in it. And it did not really match with his bride's gown, the shades were (too) different.

But I do think that with his new uniform Harry can't go wrong and I already thought he had the better looking uniform in April 2010.

Isn't the military dress of his highest rank the blue uniform..or is it the red now?

LaRae

:flowers: My apologies, I misunderstood. Thought you were referring to the 'blues' as to his 'Blues (& Royals) Uniform' that he has been wearing so far.

I for one am happy that he is not repeating the uniform he wore on his brother's wedding. I've always thought it makes him look younger (because of that 'high sash').

I am hoping he wears his (new) blue uniform!

LaRae

Harry will be in his marines uniform. They traditionally wear the uniform of their most senior position.

The coldstream guards already have a royal colonel in chief, the queen. Bucknall is simply the regiment colonel. There is no need for Bucknall to step down from his post simply to allow Harry to have a roll. He earned the honor.

Actually, you are wrong about the colonel issue. (Not the Queen being colonel in chief, which I knew and which has nothing to do with the question.) All the Foot Guards have a ceremonial colonel under the Queen. In William's case in 2011, they had the colonel of the Irish Guards step down after only a few years, and he was not very old, and it's the same thing with the Coldstream Guards -- Bucknall has been in the position, a ceremonial one separate from his normal military position, not in the position for much more time than his parallel in the Irish Guards who was William's predecessor.

I am hoping he wears his (new) blue uniform!

LaRae

Unless he gets another higher appointment before his wedding, he will. :flowers:

Until and unless he gets a colonelcy in the Household Division, I think we'll still see it at the birthday parade each year. They usually only wear uniforms of the household regiments (Prince Edward wears the uniform of the London Regiment, which isn't one of them but is associated with them).

Yes, that is why Andrew is the only sibling who doesn't wear an uniform at Trooping (though Edward rides in a carriage). Prince Edward is honorary colonel of the London Scottish regiment. Now that Andrew has taken over the Grenadiers for his dad, we will see him not only in uniform but should be riding at Trooping, not in carriage.

So we will see Harry's uniform at least once a year, for now.

Actually, you are wrong about the colonel issue. (Not the Queen being colonel in chief, which I knew and which has nothing to do with the question.) All the Foot Guards have a ceremonial colonel under the Queen. In William's case in 2011, they had the colonel of the Irish Guards step down after only a few years, and he was not very old, and it's the same thing with the Coldstream Guards -- Bucknall has been in the position, a ceremonial one separate from his normal military position, not in the position for much more time than his parallel in the Irish Guards who was William's predecessor.

No, I am not wrong.

I didn't say it couldn't happen. I simply said it Shouldn't happen. That there is no need to strip the man of a honor he has been bestowed, to give Harry one. Harry now has the marines, and there is another regiment that has no colonel. To simply strip a man of his honor so that Harry rides, seems wrong IMO.

Its my Opinion. You may not agree, but to state my opinion is wrong :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are gloves typically worn in church?

Not sure if I have ever seen a groom wear them, but yes gloves are part (or acceptable edition) to the dress code for men to royal weddings

But royal wedding attire isn't just about the proper suit or dress; it's also about the accessories. Dents Gloves, for instance, are synonymous with fine handwear in Britain and are a staple of the royal family.
For three centuries, the gloves -- lovingly hand-stitched at a factory in Wiltshire -- have been worn by kings, queens and attendees of royal weddings.

Felipe wore them with his military uniform to William and Kate's

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52408000/jpg/_52408887_011858232-1.jpg

Although appropriate to wear with a day suit, it seems the only men who wore it, were in uniform.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/52401000/gif/_52401059_2l4uwu99.gif

Haakon and Fred in gloves at Lux royal wedding

http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards....s/2012/10/Luxembourg-Royal-Wedding-Guests.jpg

Last edited:
It's like the scene in "A Few Good Men" when Jack Nicholson called Tom Cruise's dress white uniform "pansy ass" or words to that effect.

I have no freakin' clue about uniforms and ranks, so can someone post a picture of the uniform that Harry will wear on his wedding day?

I only hope it isn't red like William's (or Cpt. Mark Phillips's, for that matter) :bang:

I believe Harry will be wearing the same uniform he wore to William's wedding, with the only difference being the blue band and gold sash we see on Philip's uniform? Below are views of what Harry wore as his brother's best man. It's similar to what Osipi posted. I think the red stripes down the sides of the trousers add a touch of much needed color to this dark navy uniform. However, we won't know until the wedding day dawns exactly how Harry & Meghan will style their special day. As Harry said in his radio conversation, "We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise..." :D

Views of Harry's uniform worn to William/Kate wedding:

http://www.weddinginspirasi.com/wp-...4/royal-wedding-2011-prince-harry-william.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/2e/02/2b/2e022b50aff40bc8c84af1db66f9e936.jpg
The gold braid on Harry's jacket adds a nice touch:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/36/6e/09/366e094951369d6f02452f1d44dd6ded.jpg
Harry accompanying Pippa down the aisle as attendants to their siblings:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/06/article-1384139-0BEE08A800000578-892_468x639.jpg

Meanwhile, I found this cute photo/video clip on Meghan's Instagram (of her with Jessica Mulroney's three young children, blowing kisses): ?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIJbtKbgZl1/?hl=en&taken-by=meghanmarkle

I would think that at least Jessica's daughter may be one of the flower girls, if Meghan decides to have younger attendants in the bridal procession. By May, the boys will be nearly two years older, and so perhaps a bit too old by then.

It's interesting that Meghan's Instagram has ballooned to 3 million followers (it had reached about 1.5 million last year after her relationship with Prince Harry first became public). Now, even with Meghan not actively posting for over a year, interest and followers are still skyrocketing. It's fun to see Meghan's engaging so freely with her fans in the comments section. She once had that freedom, which now has changed. But I think after her marriage and getting her feet underneath her, Meghan may eventually find ways to engage in a different way that still represents who she is. We'll see.

Last edited:
A long time ago, and Charles wore naval uniform of course, but I can distinctly remember him very deliberately putting his white gloves back on after the ceremony, as he and Diana were leaving the Abbey.

I believe Harry will be wearing the same uniform he wore to William's wedding, with the only difference being the blue band and gold sash we see on Philip's uniform? Below are views of what Harry wore as his brother's best man. It's similar to what Osipi posted. I think the red stripes down the sides of the trousers add a touch of much needed color to this dark navy uniform. However, we won't know until the wedding day dawns exactly how Harry & Meghan will style their special day. As Harry said in his radio conversation, "We wouldn't want to spoil the surprise..." :D

Views of Harry's uniform worn to William's wedding to Kate:

http://www.weddinginspirasi.com/wp-...4/royal-wedding-2011-prince-harry-william.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/2e/02/2b/2e022b50aff40bc8c84af1db66f9e936.jpg
The gold braid on Harry's jacket adds a nice touch:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/36/6e/09/366e094951369d6f02452f1d44dd6ded.jpg
Harry accompanying Pippa down the aisle as attendants to their siblings:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/06/article-1384139-0BEE08A800000578-892_468x639.jpg

Meanwhile, I found this cute photo/video clip on Meghan's Instagram (of her with Jessica Mulroney's three young children, blowing kisses): ?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIJbtKbgZl1/?hl=en&taken-by=meghanmarkle

I would think that at least Jessica's daughter may be one of the flower girls, if Meghan decides to have younger attendants in the bridal procession. By May, the boys will be nearly two years older, and so perhaps a bit too old by then.

It's interesting that Meghan's Instagram has ballooned to 3 million followers (it had reached about 1.5 million last year after her relationship with Prince Harry first became public). Now, even with Meghan not actively posting for over a year, interest and followers are still skyrocketing.

They may look similar, but no they are not the same uniform.

Harry was wearing a captain's uniform of the Blues and Royals at his brother's wedding.

His marine uniform, which is that of a field marshal, is different. This is Philip in his.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/11/01/04C8249A0000044D-0-image-a-45_1494461814508.jpg

As for the boys, they are actually the right age for page boys. They will be 8 this year. Kate and William's page boys were 8 and 10. The only problem would be that if they insist on using George, pairing George with someone so much older then him, may look awkward. Flower girls they often have 4 so 2 sets, 2 younger, 2 a bit older. But seems 2 page boys more standard. If George is used, more likely someone closer to him in age and size will be chosen.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, the uniforms can look similar and actually be different.

We can not say definitively what's going to happen regarding young attendants in the wedding party, unless you are Meghan's wedding planner. ;) You sure seem to know a lot about Jessica Mulroney's kids I must say! :lol: Anyway, it's fun to speculate.

I was thinking of George and the younger boys who served at Pippa's wedding, when I speculated that Mulroney's two boys being older in May would be a drawback. For weddings in general, a child of any age can be selected according to the bride's wishes. I think the main issue for Meghan's royal wedding is probably more related to number of children and who to choose for uniformity, especially if Charlotte and George will be participating. That's why I figured Jessica's daughter might be chosen, rather than her sons.

Does Prince Harry wear white gloves with this uniform?

From the photos I linked of Princes Harry and William at W/K's wedding, both brothers were wearing white gloves as they entered Westminster Abbey. They removed their gloves while inside during the ceremony.

Based on checking photos, neither William nor Harry were wearing white gloves when they walked back down the aisle to exit Westminster Abbey.

Last edited:
I do think George will be a page boy and that he will probably be paired with Mark Dyer's son Jake who is a little older but not by much, and is Harry's godson. I really really hope though that Meghan has at least two small bridesmaids from her side, as it was noticeable that Kate had none.

:previous: I agree; I think George is a definite choice for a page boy. Since they were in the bridal party together at Pippa's wedding, I can imagine that Charlotte will be a bridesmaid too. Mia Tindall or Savannah/Isla Phillips would also be sweet choices for little bridesmaids (or there might be someone who has a young daughter from the cast of Suits).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom