General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think sometimes "First Lady" is used as in this example to mean "official hostess" and "most senior lady in the land" i.e. taking the role the Princess Consort of Monaco would have, that doesn't necessarily translate to being in charge legally when Albert is away. I'm not sure Monaco would have such strict rules about the sovereign Prince being out the country as the family have so many estates out of the country (Roc Agel and Chateau Marchais, in France for example) it may be unworkable to have strict rules which come into affect when the Prince it out of the country, maybe they only appoint Regents when the sovereign is unable to discharge their duties (so if Albert can work e-mail, phone and fax he's fine but if he couldn't - as we saw when Rainier was seriously ill in his last days - a regent is appointed)

Yes, precisely. :flowers: The House Law provides for a regency in the event that the Sovereign Prince is unable to discharge his duties or he is not of age. But there is nothing in the House Law in relation to the Sovereign Prince merely being out of the country.

Art. 7. S’Il est temporairement empêché et pour la durée de l’empêchement, le Prince Régnant peut, par ordonnance souveraine, déléguer l’exercice de Ses pouvoirs au Prince Héréditaire majeur. Si le Prince Héréditaire est mineur, bénéficie de cette délégation le conjoint du Prince Régnant ou, à défaut, l’héritier majeur le plus proche dans l’ordre successoral.

Art. 8. En l’absence de la délégation mentionnée à l’article précédent ou dans le cas d’un empêchement devenu définitif, l’impossibilité pour le Prince Régnant d’exercer ses fonctions est constatée par le Conseil de la Couronne, saisi par le Secrétaire d’Etat ou, à défaut, par le Président du Conseil d’Etat.​

I don't know if it's true, but it isn't my imigination. I've read it.

cdm was only pointing out that the question was in regard to regents, as distinct from first ladies. :flowers:

Monaco - The secrets of a true luxury stay

Apologies if this is not the right place to post it!

Last edited:
The Throne in the Palace

Does anyone have any information on the physical throne that sits in the Throne Room at the Prince’s Palace?

When was it commissioned, how old is it, who made it, etc.

I’d love to know the history as this is one of the only physical historic pieces associated with the crown.

This year's Monte-Carlo Gala for Planetary Health hosted by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation has been cancelled. Held since 2017 (see the 2021 photos for example) it was planned for September but has been cancelled due to the war in Ukraine.

Oliver Wenden, Vice-president of the Prince Albert II Foundation, is quoted saying: "It seemed reasonable to us to put it on hold at least this year in this context of war in Ukraine and international instability."

** monacomatin article ** monacotribune article **

:previous:

You mean, you wonder whether it is the official instagram account or not? It is! :flowers:

Why is Everyone in Monaco so Rich?

Monaco's Mediterranean Expansion Explained

How Powerful Is Monaco?

Cote D’Azur Monaco about to get closer to Dubai

The leading European developer is gearing up to soon unveil its Monaco-themed hotel, a luxurious five-star hotel that combines classic European hospitality with timeless Emirati luxury

Bahrain, Monaco sign MoU in regulating marine yachts

Monaco Land Extension, time lapse from 2019

Geography Now! MONACO

Monaco’s offshore urban extension

How can you become a citizen of Monaco?

The Principality is getting a makeover

The Grimaldi Forum Expansion

The digital landscape of Monaco

A female-led company develops games specialized in Monaco for socializing and performing digital sports.

How and why the Principality has expanded its territory

Understanding Monaco’s land reclamation efforts

The Complete History of Monaco and Monte Carlo

Last edited by a moderator:
Monaco and the Princely Family are mourning the death of Monsignor Bernard Barsi, Archbishop of Monaco from 2000 to 2020. Barsi died in Nice, France, aged 80 on December 28.

Prince Albert released a statement on behalf of the Princely Family:

** instagram post **

The former Archbishop had a heart attack on Christmas Eve and always seemed to have a close bond with the Princely Family.

May Monsignor Bernard Barsi rest in Peace.

Up until 1848 the Principality of Monaco was much larger in size and included the nearby coastal towns of Menton and Roquebrune.
Following the 1848 Revolution both rebelled and declared themselves Free Cities and were administered by the House of Savoy until 1860 abd then ceded to France.

See map below
Frontiere_Monaco.gif

Whatever Alexandre's mother is trying to spout is her own opinions - it look very very very unlikely that her son would have bestowed a Princely title (he can't) [...]

It doesn't seem like Prince Albert II has any interest in bestowing titles on his out-of-wedlock children, but legally he can bestow a title on anyone. Article 16 of the Constitution authorizes the Prince to confer titles, without any restrictions on which titles he may confer or who may receive them, and I'm not aware of any other statute that might limit this prerogative.

https://en.gouv.mc/Government-Institutions/Institutions/Constitution-of-the-Principality

Why did Prince Albert II confer Hereditary Prince Jacques with the title of Marquis des Baux rather than Duke of Valentinois, the title traditionally conferred on hereditary princes and hereditary princesses of Monaco for almost 300 years?

Albert II being Marquis des Baux during his time as Hereditary Prince is not comparable. His grandmother Hereditary Princess Charlotte renounced the throne in 1944, but retained the title of Duchess of Valentinois. At the time of Albert's birth in 1958, Charlotte was still living and still Duchess of Valentinois, so Albert's father Prince Rainier III had no choice but to select an alternative title for Albert.

However, the dukedom of Valentinois was available once more by the time of Jacques' birth in 2014, so why did Prince Albert II choose to break with hundreds of years of tradition?

His grandmother Charlotte, the prior Duchess, was famously not very fond of his mother. Perhaps Albert felt the association was more with her than with traditional history and didn't see the need.

Slightly off topic but I've always thought it would have been rather fun to have a lot more surviving European princely micro states.

Presumably it must be a very different sort of relationship between the residents of a state like Monaco & their prince than there is in much more populous monarchies.

Slightly off topic but I've always thought it would have been rather fun to have a lot more surviving European princely micro states.

Yeah, fun... But then: Where would be the wonder?

Luxembourg makes sense, since neither Big ol' Germany nor Grande France were able to agree on it belonging to the other side. But what is with Liechtenstein and Monaco - Their sheer existence is a miracle!

Presumably it must be a very different sort of relationship between the residents of a state like Monaco & their prince than there is in much more populous monarchies.

The difference is not just in the size of the countries. Unlike many monarchs who are simply figureheads Albert actually runs the country. There is a National Council but he can veto any of their decisions and dissolve them. He is also head of the courts. He and the prince of Liechtenstein are the closest thing to absolute monarchs left in Europe(I suppose the Pope would also fall into this category).

But there was no longer any independent principality in Europe other than Monaco and Liechtenstein.
But I agree that it would have been interesting if there had been more surviving European princely microstates.

The very serious French journal Le Monde published an article about the princily family financial situation explained by the M. Palmero, former estate manager of the family.

Some interesting facts from the article:
- Princess Charlene is granted a budget amounting to 1,5 millions of euros per year,
- Princess Caroline, 900.000 euros
- Princess Stéphanie, 800.000 euros
- Nicole Coste, 1 million per year
- Jazmin Grace Grimaldi, 79.000 euros per semester.
- According to Mister Palmero, Princess Caroline hates Princess Charlene
- Princess Charlene refuses to talk to Nicole Coste
- Prince Rainier thought of denying Albert the throne.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/internati...appli&lmd_creation=android&lmd_source=default

Wait a minute.....Nicole Coste, gets A MILLION per year, while Princess Charlene gets 1.5 million ?
For what ?

That doesn't make sense to me either. Apparently, this information comes from the former estate manager (who most likely isn't allowed to share this private financial information), so it could be that this was the deal while Alexandre was still a minor. Although in that case the difference between Jazmin and Alexandre (via his mother) is huge.

Dear Adda,, It is beyond a pay wall. But Thanks for the infio.

But the optics, so far from above......are terrible, to me at least.

Yes, it's behind a pay wall, sorry :(
If a fellow poster can share the info that'd be great. I cancelled my subscription to The Times last month, what great timing!

Edit: Le Monde (also behind a pay wall but we can see more) and a royal watcher on X have shared more information about it.
https://www.lemonde.fr/en/internati...appli&lmd_creation=android&lmd_source=default

- Princess Charlene has annual budget of 1.5M euros
- Princess Caroline, 900,000 euros annually
- Princess Stéphanie, 800,000 euros annually
- Jazmin Grace Grimaldi, 79,000 euros annually

Last edited:
So, if I understand it correctly, Nicole Coste does not 'receive' 1 million euros a year (as a fixed amount/budget) but convinced Albert to back up her business, which Palmero indicated in 2015 to be 'on course' to cost 1 million euros a year.

And while Charlene's official budget (provided by her husband) is 1,5 million per year; she spends twice as much - as she knows that he will make up the difference.

For earlier reports and discussion on the corruption scandal involving Claude Palmero, Prince Albert II, and other men close to the prince, and Mr. Palmero's threat to reveal the prince's secrets in retaliation for allegedly throwing him under the bus (I assume the disclosures to Le Monde are him following through on that threat), see the thread "General News & Information about Albert, Charlene & Family Part 6: February 2022 -":

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...rt-6-february-2022-a-49219-8.html#post2563174

Several Posts and replies to a non factual post have been removed ,please do not post Magazine claims as Factual Information!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom