Duke of Edinburgh to Retire from Public Engagements in August: May 4, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it will depend on his health. By retiring, he can be absent from Major events like a state visit, without causing a stir. I don't think Philip is going yo disappear off to Sandringham and never be seen again. He will be like Henrik in Denmark, though more health driven. I think as long as he is feeling up to it, we will see him at part of the visit. Perhaps just the dinner. But there.

I agree. I think sometimes that people have no idea what it must mean for a 95 year old, even as robust as Philip, to perform the way he does. I know 2 people over 90 and both, even clear in thoughts, are unable to walk on their own but with a walking frame or, on good days, with a crane.
When looking carefully at recent footage of Philip at events it's clear to see how exhausting it is for him to walk without assistance. And he is from a generation NOT to show any weakness meaning to use a walking aid in public (one of the people over 90 I know - a male - won't leave the appartement any more for that reason).
So my guess is that he felt that it is no longer possible for him to go through full day events without help thus he'll retire. He might show himself from time to time when he feels he can do it.
And the truth is, especially when looking at Philip's face/skin: it's an absolute exception to get as far as Philip got, most people are long dead or at retirement homes at his age.

Yes I'm sure that Philip is too independent to wish to be seen beign helped or using a walking aid. He's a proud man and he's ben out there doing his job, as long as he can.. and now I think he's earned the righto to take it easy

I would put my money on that all of the Queen's children are her "favorites" in their own way. Charles is her heir and first born. Anne is "Daddy's Little Princess". Andrew is her wonderful "surprise" later in life and Edward is her "baby". Mothers can and do have different types of relationships with thieir different children. I would imagine its the same thing with her grandchildren. They're all her "favorites" because of the little things they love best about each other.

At least this is how I see it. :D

As you say the Queen probably loves them all for different reasons and in their own special way. Not much has been said about Anne and the Queen's relationship but we saw that photo of the two of them released and that brought about discussion of how close they were and how they speak regularly, it was said that during the 'war of the Waleses' Anne (after Philip) was the one she could speak to about it all.

Last time the Duke was taken ill wasn't it Anne who stepped in and accompanied the Queen on visits, wasn't there one to the Lakes?

That being said Anne has a busy diary already so I can't see her suddenly fitting lots of visits with the Queen in. In fairness, all the media hype about the Queen being accompanied by her children may be off the mark, she does plenty of solo visits now. I think it may simply become the Queen doing things by herself unless one of her children can accompany her or she needs an official 'other half' in which case Charles would most likely accompany her.

As you say the Queen probably loves them all for different reasons and in their own special way. Not much has been said about Anne and the Queen's relationship but we saw that photo of the two of them released and that brought about discussion of how close they were and how they speak regularly, it was said that during the 'war of the Waleses' Anne (after Philip) was the one she could speak to about it all.

Last time the Duke was taken ill wasn't it Anne who stepped in and accompanied the Queen on visits, wasn't there one to the Lakes?

That being said Anne has a busy diary already so I can't see her suddenly fitting lots of visits with the Queen in. In fairness, all the media hype about the Queen being accompanied by her children may be off the mark, she does plenty of solo visits now. I think it may simply become the Queen doing things by herself unless one of her children can accompany her or she needs an official 'other half' in which case Charles would most likely accompany her.

The Queen will be fine. The Palace mentioned that members of the royal family will support her in Philip's absence. That's on the days she's not doing solo engagements.

Prince Edward has told Sky News his father's decision to take a step back from royal duties is "very sensible" - and said he does not think the Duke of Edinburgh will vanish from public life.

The Earl of Wessex said the royal family respects Prince Philip's decision - and he expressed hope that the 95-year-old will have more time for activities he enjoys.

"I don't believe that he's going to be putting his feet up completely, disappearing into the background and never being seen again," he told Royal Correspondent Rhiannon Mills.

"He'll pick and choose what he wants to do, how he wants to do it and decide what's sensible and what's practical."
Read more: Duke of Edinburgh won't be putting his feet up, Prince Edward says

:previous: I saw it on Sky News. And as many commentators said on thursday, he is still going to attend some engagements with the Queen, but only when he feels up to it.

Should we assume he won't take part in the US State Visit in the fall ?

If Trump wants him to be there, then he will see that May sees that the Queen sees that the DoE shows up.
The bread and butter of BRF is to be the tools of soft diplomacy. And it's not like he suddenly became invalid. He can be there..
If Trump is not bothered then it's their wish.. JMO..

I am sorry I doubt the prime minister is about to order the 96 year old retired Prince to attend a dinner. Trump is only that important in his own mind.

As long as the queen is there, I doubt trump would care or even notice.

If he doesn't care then it's fine. And also notice they have said in the announcement "he will keep attending some public events from time to time". This is to keep a window for such appearances..

I agree that it would not do for *anyone* to insist that the Duke of Edinburgh attend something. Its possible the DoE will attend some of the functions while Trump is there and then again, maybe not. As long as the "red carpet" is rolled out and trumpets sound his arrival to BP and Trump understands what the protocol is meeting HM, The Queen, I think everything will go just fine.

Then again, I'd love to hear Philip pulled a good zinger when first meeting the Donald. That would be a classic for all times. :lol:

I read Philip quipped, "Well I can't stand up for much longer!", to someone who said he was sorry Philip was standing down.

That's just what I'd expect from Philip! :D Although as, even at the grand age of almost 96, he has still seemed to be an incredibly able man to me so I was surprised to hear the news. But I guess, in his words, he can't stand up for much longer due to his age. He deserves some relaxation time as he has served the BRF for so long.

If Trump wants him to be there, then he will see that May sees that the Queen sees that the DoE shows up.
The bread and butter of BRF is to be the tools of soft diplomacy. And it's not like he suddenly became invalid. He can be there..
If Trump is not bothered then it's their wish.. JMO..
As I have explained to others here (in other threads) who have written similar posts about her sapphire jubilee, That's not the way its work. As several former royal employees have said, the prime minister will never try to force the Queen into something she doesn't want. And if it leaks to the media that the prime minister has done that, she (Theresa May) will probably be forsed to resign.

And I doubt anyone is able to force Philip into anithing.

Last edited:
If Trump wants him to be there, then he will see that May sees that the Queen sees that the DoE shows up. The bread and butter of BRF is to be the tools of soft diplomacy. And it's not like he suddenly became invalid. He can be there..If Trump is not bothered then it's their wish.. JMO..

I would be genuinely stunned if that kind of dance-me-a-jig-to-my-tune ever would take place. :sad:

I would certainly, seriously, hope not.

I am sorry I doubt the prime minister is about to order the 96 year old retired Prince to attend a dinner. Trump is only that important in his own mind. As long as the queen is there, I doubt trump would care or even notice.

Agree 100%. :cool:

Although as, even at the grand age of almost 96, he has still seemed to be an incredibly able man to me so I was surprised to hear the news. But I guess, in his words, he can't stand up for much longer due to his age. He deserves some relaxation time as he has served the BRF for so long.

Exactly so. :flowers: I think this is prelude to The Queen withdrawing/retiring. For a variety of reasons I think it was decided Philip would exit first, then The Queen.

Nothing to do with abdication, but it is The Queen who looks in need of a break imo. Insisting that a person of her age continue at even the reduced pace she currently has is akin to cruelty in my view. :sad:

As I have explained to others here (in other threads) who have written similar posts about her sapphire jubilee, That's not the way its work. As several former royal employees have said, the prime minister will never try to force the Queen into something she doesn't want. And if it leaks to the media that the prime minister has done that, she (Theresa May) will probably be forsed to resign.

And I doubt anyone is able to force Philip into anything.

I am heartened by both points you make. :flowers:

Last edited:
Well deserved and very sensible move by the DoE! He can now call the shots on what he will and won't attend without causing media mania by not attending an event planned months in advance just because he didn't feel up to it for no other reason than feeling his age on that particular day.

I loved the rejoiner to the remark "Sorry you are standing down Sir". Typically witty Philip, and no doubt the Queen will miss him very much at engagements, regardless of who else is there with her.

:previous: there was a tv show called 'meet the natives' where five men from the island were brought to Britain. They got to meet their idol at the end. I believe a second had them go to the USA.

Meet the Natives - All 4

I didn't click on the Daily Fail article but I do have to remark that I really liked the biography "Elizabeth and Philip: Portrait of a Royal Marriage" by Gyles Brandreth. Good read.

Article in the Telegraph from Prince Philip's official biographer Philip Eade:
Prince Philip's official biographer on the art of retiring gracefully

First part of this long article:
ore than 65 years since his wife became Queen, Prince Philip is now comfortably the longest-serving royal consort in British history, surpassing by eight years the record previously held by George III’s Queen Charlotte, who was consort from 1761 until her death in 1818. In the process he has carried out more than 22,000 solo engagements - he recently hazarded that he is the world’s most experienced plaque-unveiler - and outlasted 12 prime ministers and 12 US presidents.

A month short of his 96th birthday, he still follows dutifully a pace or two behind his wife while on royal walkabouts, helping to break the conversational ice and emitting the occasional mischievous aside. He has every right to remark, as he did in 2011 when he turned 90, "I reckon I’ve done my bit".

An overtly masculine, forthright and restless character, Prince Philip was not obviously cut out to play second fiddle, yet ever since the Queen’s accession to the throne in 1952 he has been required to address his wife as ‘‘Ma’am” in public and bow whenever she enters a room.

Unlike Prince Albert, Queen Victoria’s consort and “uncrowned king”, Prince Philip is barred from taking any part in constitutional affairs or expressing any political opinions - although he has never been afraid to speak his mind and, in private, the Queen has doubtless relied on his advice and encouragement throughout her reign. Rarely one to guard his tongue, he has become famous for his occasional diplomatic faux pas, as well as for sharp remarks to reporters and photographers and volcanic explosions with his staff.

Last week, while tributes were made to a life-time of service, some put the Duke’s odd bursts of temper down to his frustration with his restrictive role (he was previously a first-rate naval officer, destined, many thought, for the highest rank in the Royal Navy).

But as a biographer of Prince Philip’s early years, I believe more telling clues to his complex nature are to be found in his turbulent childhood. His father was almost executed during a military coup in Greece, his favourite sister was killed in a plane crash and, when he was eight years old, his mother was incarcerated in a German psychiatric clinic for five years, leaving him to be brought up by his Mountbatten uncles in England.

Last part of this long article:
The upshot was that Prince Philip - who in fact favoured the name Edinburgh over Mountbatten - was firmly told that the House of Windsor had been founded by George V in perpetuity and his marriage did nothing to change that. "I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his children," responded the prince. "I’m nothing but a bloody amoeba."

Yet he has rarely complained about his lot during six and-a-half decades as consort, and although he has now decided to retire, his wit evidently remains as quick as ever. When the mathematician Sir Michael Atiyah told him how sorry he was to hear he was standing down, the prince shot straight back in characteristic fashion: "Well, I can’t stand up much longer!" In the last year alone he has carried out 219 official engagements and it should come as no surprise that a man of 95 has resolved to take things a little easier from now on.

He is said to have reached his decision over the past few months and told the Queen about it over the Easter weekend at Windsor Castle, where he now intends to spend more of his time, indulging various interests such as painting and carriage driving. In private, though, I have no doubt that he will doubtless continue to serve as the Queen’s "strength and stay", as she describes him, the essential support on which her singularly successful reign has for so long depended.

Exactly so. :flowers: I think this is prelude to The Queen withdrawing/retiring. For a variety of reasons I think it was decided Philip would exit first, then The Queen.

Nothing to do with abdication, but it is The Queen who looks in need of a break imo. Insisting that a person of her age continue at even the reduced pace she currently has is akin to cruelty in my view. :sad:

I believe that this could be in the works. IMO nearly everything in the BRF is planned months to even years in advance. I do not think it is a coincidence that certain actions were taken after the Queen reached the milestones of her 90th birthday and achieving the longest reign of any English or British monarch. Since then she relinquished patronages, the Cambridges announced they'd be going full time and now Phillip's retirement announcement.

Although its quite easy to think of HM, The Queen as being immortal, reality tells us that a woman of 91 cannot keep going like the Energizer Bunny. There are some but not many people in their 90s that live a full, jammed pack daily life like HM does. The body does start to protest against what the mind wants it to do (I see this already and I'm 65) and sooner or later reality sets in that this is the natural course of things.

I do predict too that the phasing out of the stress and strain of a heavy physical load on the Queen has been started to put into play. "Team Windsor" is going to have to step up and live up to HM's belief that the monarchy has to be seen to be believed. I can picture HM still doing her boxes, meeting with her Prime Minister, attending state occasions and things only a monarch can do but the physical to and fro to different places for different reasons will have to be taken on by her family. Perhaps she'll be able to relax more at Windsor and still ride her fell pony. Perhaps she'll be able to enjoy more time with her beloved husband. Perhaps she'll be able to breathe a bit better and that will extend the time she has left among us.

Her spirit and her smile are as bright as ever but the body can and does protest too much methinks. :D

Please note that several posts have been deleted as they are off-topic. This thread is about the Duke of Edinburgh retiring and certainly not about the US President or what the Royal Family might or might not think of him.

I thought so too Elisa! Charming.

LaRae

I read Philip quipped, "Well I can't stand up for much longer!", to someone who said he was sorry Philip was standing down.

Saw the footage and it was typically quirky witty Philip! Spoken with a classic note of understatement :lol:

Please note that several posts have been deleted as they are off-topic. This thread is about the Duke of Edinburgh retiring and certainly not about the US President or what the Royal Family might or might not think of him.

:lol: :lol::lol: Quite! :) ! Now I've gone off topic, but too good not to repost! :flowers:

Nothing happened on Friday that wasn't planned months ago so hardly 'stepping up' as Philip retires.

Very true!

But the timing of the retirement announcement was also most likely planned months ago, so the subsequent appearances are not all that random.

Back
Top Bottom