Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think William and Kate will just be less public monarchs.

Is that an option? :unsure: I'd never thought of that. Maybe that's exactly what the future will bring, a total meshing of personality (William) with a far more discreet monarchy. A future that we cannot imagine given the recent past decades but which in the future will seem as right as rain and the way 'it's always been'. Possible? Maybe.

Last edited:
Is that an option? :unsure: I'd never thought of that. Maybe that's exactly what the future will bring, a total meshing of personality (William) with a far more discreet monarchy. A future that we cannot imagine given the recent past decades but which in the future will seem as right as rain and the way 'it's always been'. Possible? Maybe.

Perhaps this would be a wise move. The more I think about it, a less public monarchy (other than their engagements and occasions that they do normally as part of the royal family would help to dispel the idea that W&K are not the British version of Keeping Up With The Cambridges.

I think it would be a great idea for a more "discrete" monarchy in the future and see no reason for it not to happen. This culture of having to know everything there possibly is to know about royals is waring and the frankly artificial idea that royals should be or act more normally has lead members of the family to act in odd ways when in public. For instance, feeling the need to be overly funny or jokey all the time and dumbing down on protocol to pretend to be more "normal" - it's ridiculous!
It has also lead to "deals" having to be made with the media so that a staged photo call can be done so long as the media stay away afterwards - the media never do!
I'm not saying the royals should all be like Princess Anne or the family instil strict protocols like in Japan or become completely standoffish, but it would be nice if they did genuinely informal things instead of stunts like drinking pints at a pub or trying strange food etc.
Dumbing down the monarchy will be its downfall and they need to reverse it!

I think it would be a great idea for a more "discrete" monarchy in the future and see no reason for it not to happen. This culture of having to know everything there possibly is to know about royals is waring and the frankly artificial idea that royals should be or act more normally has lead members of the family to act in odd ways when in public. For instance, feeling the need to be overly funny or jokey all the time and dumbing down on protocol to pretend to be more "normal" - it's ridiculous!
It has also lead to "deals" having to be made with the media so that a staged photo call can be done so long as the media stay away afterwards - the media never do!
I'm not saying the royals should all be like Princess Anne or the family instil strict protocols like in Japan or become completely standoffish, but it would be nice if they did genuinely informal things instead of stunts like drinking pints at a pub or trying strange food etc.
Dumbing down the monarchy will be its downfall and they need to reverse it!
I think in general the entire world is being *Dumbing Down*, sorry if this is off topic, your comment there really caught my attention. There is way to much information today being sent out through social media and most of it from what I see is horrible, nasty, mean spirited and down right cruel. Society today wants to see, hear and know everything there is to know about anyone in the news.......that shows there is no boundaries anymore for anyone and the media doesn't even know the meaning of the word. Some things we just don't need to know for to much information spoils the picture.

The 'dumbing down' started in 1969 and it can't be stopped.

The old days of the royals been seen and not spoken to have long gone.

The public have come to believe that as they pay for their lifestyle they have a right to know what they are doing AND an expectation that the will also work for the nation - something William and Kate don't seem to want to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if William is the last King - simply because he comes across as so reluctant whenever he is in public and Kate is even worse.

Charles will hold it together but William just doesn't want to do it - will do as little as possible as King and not encourage anyone else to show him up so I can see him doing nothing in public other than the State Opening each year and the weekly meetings with the PM and the monthly council meetings. He just comes across as so paranoid about being seen by the public AND the press that he will retreat without the excuse that Victoria had.

:previous:interesting jusgement of William.

I think that it is premature. We will know whether it is correct, to any degree, when he becomes the heir.

The public have come to believe that as they pay for their lifestyle they have a right to know what they are doing AND an expectation that the will also work for the nation - something William and Kate don't seem to want to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if William is the last King - simply because he comes across as so reluctant whenever he is in public and Kate is even worse.

Charles will hold it together but William just doesn't want to do it - will do as little as possible as King and not encourage anyone else to show him up so I can see him doing nothing in public other than the State Opening each year and the weekly meetings with the PM and the monthly council meetings. He just comes across as so paranoid about being seen by the public AND the press that he will retreat without the excuse that Victoria had.

The dumbing down, IMO, was a direct response to the public's demands for it. Let us not forget the 1990s when HM and the BRF where considered far too remote and aloof from the public at large. The response was far more openness and approachability.

Just more republican angst. William can't be king before his time and he can't be heir before his time. If people want him front and centre maybe the Queen and Charles can stand aside. Monarchy evolves with the times. Young people certainly don't want a remote monarchy.

The biggest changes will come after the Queen passes. One will need a decompression chamber to handle the outcome. Charles got the ball rolling with this whole Princess Consort matter and not having Camilla as Queen is the biggest dumbing down we can have. I'm not worried about William, he will be fine. Its Charles and his meddling that concerns me. He's headed for a showdown with Parliament and we all know who will win that.

Just more republican angst. William can't be king before his time and he can't be heir before his time. If people want him front and centre maybe the Queen and Charles can stand aside. Monarchy evolves with the times. Young people certainly don't want a remote monarchy.

The biggest changes will come after the Queen passes. One will need a decompression chamber to handle the outcome. Charles got the ball rolling with this whole Princess Consort matter and not having Camilla as Queen is the biggest dumbing down we can have. I'm not worried about William, he will be fine. Its Charles and his meddling that concerns me. He's headed for a showdown with Parliament and we all know who will win that.

What might the showdown be about?

Because after 60 plus years of one monarch I think the government of the day will want to make big changes to the relationship it has with the sovereign and Charles will resist this.

I think Charles wants an old fashioned monarchy for lack of a better term and I think the Parliament will want to strip it of all but it's basic functions.

If there is a showdown and I think there will be Charles will come out on the short end of the stick.

Because after 60 plus years of one monarch I think the government of the day will want to make big changes to the relationship it has with the sovereign and Charles will resist this.

I think Charles wants an old fashioned monarchy for lack of a better term and I think the Parliament will want to strip it of all but it's basic functions.

If there is a showdown and I think there will be Charles will come out on the short end of the stick.

Lets wait and see. No UK politician has really indicated an intention to change the status quo in any material way. Lets also not forget that Charles is quite a shrewd operator.

There is no debate about change at all. A few MPs have riased concern about the fact there is a power of veto but as everyone else has pointed out that it hasnt caused any probs to date, it will probably go away.

This is the William tyread, not the Monarchy under Charles. p
Perhaps the main reason for William doing more is to give people something factual the talk about instead of just speculating.

I have no way of knowing how old any of our posters are, but I do know one thing: what and who one is at 30 is frequently vastly different from his/her persona at 40, or 50, or 60. William as king in the fullness of his years will be a very different man than he is now. Certainly the Charles of 30- and I won't spell it out- was not the man he is now at 65.

I have no way of knowing how old any of our posters are, but I do know one thing: what and who one is at 30 is frequently vastly different from his/her persona at 40, or 50, or 60. William as king in the fullness of his years will be a very different man than he is now. Certainly the Charles of 30- and I won't spell it out- was not the man he is now at 65.

I was just thinking this very same thing.

I still wonder why there is all this talk of skipping! Charles will do a great innovative and modern work! William will be king when it's time... And judging from what he has said and done I don't think he wants his father to step down for him.

Well, it's interesting to read this. For me personally, provided that William is consistent in his approach and springs no surprises on the nation he has every possibility of being successful in his life's role.
The Queen has managed never to dumb down in spite of the public's expectations and her popularity is as high as ever it was.
I realise this thread may have gone slightly off topic, but one of William's responsibilities to my mind is to ensure the continuation of the Monarchy - and not just providing it with an heir.
I just don't want him to go down the route of trying too hard to be funny or all things to all men or be disingenuous to gain popularity. It is a risky strategy to simply be oneself and to hold media intrusion at bay, but it is one that has been successful for his grandmother.
It's a balance and whilst William is young and in the position of being heir to the heir so to speak, he may as well stick to how he wants things to be in the future so, as I say, we have no surprises or no other expectations other than what we have from him now - I'm getting used to it so I am sure others will too.

Its also a generational thing. In the interview he gave to CNN last year William said he and Harry were raised to do things on their own. So I think people of his generation identify with this. This is what everyone praised Diana for, raising two down to earth princes in touch with the common man

A Prince of Wales's role is to wait. He has no formal functions and has no constitutional powers (although he can act as the Sovereign's deputy). Today's Prince of Wales, however, receives cabinet papers and gives audiences to cabinet ministers
(The Monarchy and the Constitution, by Vernon Bogdanor, 1995).

Given that William as 2nd in line must wait even longer its very commendable he has taken up such an important job with the air ambulance. It allows him to give back to the country while also being flexible enough to carry out engagements

A Prince of Wales's role is to wait. He has no formal functions and has no constitutional powers (although he can act as the Sovereign's deputy). Today's Prince of Wales, however, receives cabinet papers and gives audiences to cabinet ministers

Given that William as 2nd in line must wait even longer its very commendable he has taken up such an important job with the air ambulance. It allows him to give back to the country while also being flexible enough to carry out engagements

I think it's great that William will work in the Air Ambulance for the next two years. I think everything will be fine just as long as there is a healthy balance between his outside job and royal duties. I'm not sure he and Catherine can be seen as backing away from royal duties. Especially not now when The Queen is about to turn 90 and Prince Philip going into his mid 90's.

when does the air ambulance job start? i don't know if william really is reluctant or doesnt really know what to do with himself apart from avoiding royal life but his acitvities come across as confusing, there is no visible central theme that he seems to be following considering that his life path is pretty clear, a little bit of this or that, one step back, one step across etc etc, i am missing an idea what to do with him with regard to his royal future, either he is incredibly clueless or in denial regaring his future or arrogant enough to think he can be king completely on his own terms, or his pr team is incredibly bad. or both.

I think it's great that William will work in the Air Ambulance for the next two years. I think everything will be fine just as long as there is a healthy balance between his outside job and royal duties. I'm not sure he and Catherine can be seen as backing away from royal duties. Especially not now when The Queen is about to turn 90 and Prince Philip going into his mid 90's.

Yes but the duties of the Queen can only be performed by the Queen. Whether she's 90 or 190.
William and Kate working with their charities doesn't have any impact on the Queen. Same goes for Harry.
If the time ever comes for someone to step in it will fall to Charles as heir and not William

when does the air ambulance job start? i don't know if william really is reluctant or doesnt really know what to do with himself apart from avoiding royal life but his acitvities come across as confusing, there is no visible central theme that he seems to be following considering that his life path is pretty clear, a little bit of this or that, one step back, one step across etc etc, i am missing an idea what to do with him with regard to his royal future, either he is incredibly clueless or in denial regaring his future or arrogant enough to think he can be king completely on his own terms, or his pr team is incredibly bad. or both.

It is due to start in the new year - he has been taking exams (I think he said 14!) over the past few months.

He isn't arrogant or clueless IMO. He may not be conforming to your or other's ideas of what he should be doing. This is a rewind of this argument which has gone on for months.

For me it is simple. We were told that the Cambridges would not be full-time; we were told that they would support their charities; also told that they would support the Queen; and William said that (paraphrasing here) "You do what Granny says".

So I don't have any issue with the current course of events. Sure, it would be nice to see more of them but I accept that what is happening is in line with what we were told.

Air ambulance work is public service. It can be risky and stressful. William doing it is admirable IMO. And Granny is in agreement

I think the balance is just right. William, Kate and Harry take up all the press as it is, more engagements just means more coverage.

When Charles and Camilla went to Mexico and South America, one British journalist went along and left before the tour was over. Compare this with Harry in Oman or the Cambridges in New York next month.

The BRF takes the term approach and right now its best the younger royals don't suffer from overexposure

Yes but the duties of the Queen can only be performed by the Queen. Whether she's 90 or 190.
William and Kate working with their charities doesn't have any impact on the Queen. Same goes for Harry.
If the time ever comes for someone to step in it will fall to Charles as heir and not William

Yes, I know some of the duties The Queen performs can only be performed by Her Majesty. The work senior members of the royal family perform is all about increasing the role or range of The Queen and supporting her and the "Firm". What I'm saying is that William & Catherine can't be seen retreating from their official royal roles, especially when The Queen is approaching her 90's and will need the extra help. They have to maintain a good balance between their royal duties and William's Air Ambulance job. They can't go back to how things were before because it presented problems and William actually admitted this.

This is an article Vernon Bogdanor wrote for the Telegraph earlier this year. He's talking about Prince Charles and it applies doubly so for Prince William

The Queen and Prince of Wales's job share will not be a regency - Telegraph

I think everyone knows the roles and responsibilities of the senior members of the royal family but they all have a role to play and have to be seen doing their duties.

But when people talk about the Queen getting older in relation to William's role the implication is he will be the one to step in for her, when in fact it will be Charles.

Like it or not William has the enviable position of being the Queen's grandson and not her heir.

Because (God forbids it) Charles might be old when he becomes king (Maybe in his 80s) and if something happens he might have a very short reign... And William would find himself heir apparent and king in a short time... It might happens otherwise but nothing is ruled out...

But when people talk about the Queen getting older in relation to William's role the implication is he will be the one to step in for her, when in fact it will be Charles.

Like it or not William has the enviable position of being the Queen's grandson and not her heir.

We all know that it's Charles who's the first in-line to the throne and will step in for The Queen whenever he can but William is second in-line, 32 years old and have to be seen doing his part too because he too have an important role to play. I think it's inevitable that William and Catherine's royal role increase because The Queen is approaching 90 and Prince Philip approaching his mid 90's, the younger royals have to be seen willing to help out more and taking bigger roles. That's just how it goes. It's The Queen that was sending Catherine to represent her in Malta and I'm sure, when Catherine is able to do so, there will be another solo trip for her to perform.

The Cambridge's too have important roles to play and must be seen doing so. That's all I'm pointing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom