Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love everything about this project. They achieved great impactful results and you can truly see the friendships and bond that Meghan shares with these women. The Hubb Community Kitchen reminded me of the soup kitchens in Canada and LA where Meghan volunteered. It’s a place where she can be Meghan and not the Duchess of Sussex. I felt like we were seeing a kitchen full of aunties and grandmas for baby Sussex. As others stated I do hope this is one of Meghan’s official patronages.

And the best way to silence her critics is through successful and sustained work. I saw a lot more articles today suggesting that if the staff has a problem with Meghan’s work ethic, it’s their issue not hers.

The feeling I get reading through these posts on Meghan's return to the Hubb Kitchen is a real sense of belonging. As Royal Suitor says, Meghan is herself and not The Duchess of Sussex doing her duty. The women of Hubb Kitchen have adopted her as one of their own. I find it wonderful that this initiative that started out Meghan's royal life echoes her involvement in kitchens as a young woman. Its a feeling of coming full circle. Meghan is very much being true to herself remaining passionate about being of service to others and making a difference.

I still giggle when I think of how Harry had expressed difficulty in finding the right woman to not only marry him but to also take on the royal role that being his wife would entail. Looking back now, I think its plain to see that the royal role that came with Harry is pretty much made to order for a woman like Meghan that thrives on working to make a difference in her world around her.

They both hit the brass ring on the marriage-go-round and I sincerely believe that the best is yet to come.

Looks like it's selling a few hundred couples per day on Amazon, and the sales rank puts it in the top roughly 1000 since it has been released. They dropped the price and the sales shot up by a few hundred copies a day, and now it's #27 of ALL books on Amazon. I'll bet people are buying it for Christmas gifts.

I think you could be right, will make a handy Christmas Present.
Also makes me wonder if Meghan has invited William and Kate over for a Thanks Giving dinner.

I think you could be right, will make a handy Christmas Present.
Also makes me wonder if Meghan has invited William and Kate over for a Thanks Giving dinner.

I think there will be a great Thanksgiving feast going on at the Sussex’s and most likely the Cambridge’s will be at the table.

I love that through it all Meghan keeps smiling. She even thanked the reporters for coming today. No matter what its always important to lead from a positive place. It helps set the tone.

Yep, like Michelle Obama has said, "When they go low, we go high!" Speaking of which, don't miss Mrs. Obama's forthcoming memoir, Becoming. I can't wait to see Meghan & Harry publicly meeting with both of the Obamas. ?

Congrats to the Duchess of Sussex and to the women of the Hubb Community Kitchen. I'm happy to already have my copy and I've experimented with a couple of recipes! Check out my conversation about the cookbook in the Royal Library thread.

Seeing Meghan with the women of Hubb Community Kitchen reminds me of her relaying how she first became interested in food and cooking on the set of Married with Children as a preteen. She was told by her Dad and the adults on set to go hang out with craft services because the show was too risque for a youngster her age to stand around watching. Meghan said she learned a lot helping craft services prepare food for the actors and crew.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6413335/Duchess-Sussex-heads-Grenfell-kitchen.html

Interesting info on why Claire was there as part of the engagement.

"Professional chefs will be brought into the centre to give cooking masterclasses to the women. Today Meghan invited Ms Smyth, the British chef who cooked for guests and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's evening wedding reception in May, to come along to see what the women had achieved.

Northern Ireland-born Ms Smyth, who became the first British female chef to hold and retain three Michelin stars, runs a restaurant, Core by Clare Smyth, in nearby Notting Hill and pledged to come into the centre to work with the women.

'Every community needs something like this. If we could all do something together, we could solve the world's problems,' the chef said. She praised their culinary skills, adding: 'They definitely don't need my help but if there is anything I can do to help them, I will.'"

Munira of the Hubb kitchen posted on her Instagram a photo of her meeting Anton Mosimann the 5 star chef who catered the Sussexes wedding and other royal events for some food tasting for the royal foundation annual dinner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqeoguoB2Vn/

And such is the beauty of mingling with celebrities. Somewhere recently (I forget where, I'm too full of turkey and its addled my brain), there were complaints that royals (primarily Meghan) are mingling too much with celebrities and A listers.

Celebrities are needed when it comes to initiatives such as the Hubb Kitchen visit by Ms. Smyth. The point of initiatives such as the cookbook was not solely to sell the book and garner funds to make the kitchen and the work these women do thrive but it also gives these women a bit of training and not only expands what the kitchen does but it also empowers these women in the work they are doing.

Something wonderful has grown out of an immense tragedy. People banded together to love and support and feed each other. I can only hope that this sense of community is contagious and spreads. We need more of this in our world.

I have ordered this book and in so doing I am helping in this initiative! I am so very proud of thee women and Meghan for assisting and facilitating them.

You know I wondered once whether Meghan was crazy to give up her life for Harry. Whether it would be worth it to live with the media attention, lack of privacy and essentially live a gold fish bowl existence.

However, this type of project has enabled me to see why Meghan thought leaving her whole life behind was worthwhile. In addition to being in love with Harry and creating their family of course.

Last edited:
I have ordered this book and in so doing I am helping in this initiative! I am so very proud of thee women and Meghan for assisting and facilitating them.

You know I wondered once whether Meghan was crazy to give up her life for Harry. Whether it would be worth it to live with the media attention, lack of privacy and essentially live a gold fish bowl existence.

However, this type of project has enabled me to see why Meghan thought leaving her whole life behind was worthwhile. In addition to being in love with Harry and creating their family of course.

Really well said Terri. I also think it shouldnt be underestimated how many new followers Megsie has brought to following the royal family.

This time last year KP instagram had approx 2.3m followers, now it has just over 7m followers. The royal family insta page had just under 1m in followers, now they have 4.1m. Im not saying that all of the new followers are because of her, but I think you could attribute a bigger interest in the royal family due to Megsie.

That also includes myself.

To be absolutely honest, this is the kind of article that I would sneer at just reading the first few lines of it and would *never* think of reposting it here. Its pure garbage and doesn't deserve attention. We're smart enough people to realize that the Hubb Kitchen initiative is totally divorced from what this article seems to want to "allege".

I expect this from the DM but I was really disappointed to see Camilla Tominey write a similar story for the Telegraph. The whole thing feels like a cheap shot intended to cast a cloud over the project and the women involved. When did they stop being survivors of the Grenfell fire tragedy? And it’s interesting that these stories didn’t come out when William did his renovation project or HMQ visited. :whistling:

I expect this from the DM but I was really disappointed to see Camilla Tominey write a similar story for the Telegraph. The whole thing feels like a cheap shot intended to cast a cloud over the project and the women involved. When did they stop being survivors of the Grenfell fire tragedy? And it’s interesting that these stories didn’t come out when William did his renovation project or HMQ visited. :whistling:

While the tone of the DM article is disgusting, the connection with the mosque has been known about and written about, at least in passing, since the Grenfell tragedy occurred. It's a large mosque, and serves a lot of people.

It's also not the first time that a royal (in this case Meghan) has been involved in a project that had a very loose connection to something unsavory, and the media has tried to make a story out of it. Unfortunately, it goes with the territory. We'll see if this one gets traction--I hope not.

Neither the Queen’s visit 17 months ago or William at the rebuilding project for the Grenfell boxing club took place at the mosque.
I think it is the mosque the articles are targeting, using the publicity from the success of the cookbook project for stories to attack the mosque.

Neither the Queen’s visit 17 months ago or William at the rebuilding project for the Grenfell boxing club took place at the mosque.
I think it is the mosque the articles are targeting, using the publicity from the success of the cookbook project for stories to attack the mosque.

Agreed, but it's always been known that the mosque served many of the Grenfell inhabitants, so there were previous attempts to make that connection.

Agreed, but it's always been known that the mosque served many of the Grenfell inhabitants, so there were previous attempts to make that connection.

But my point is, neither the Queen nor William’s visits took place at the mosque, so their visits could not be connected to the mosque, therefore no story.

The Grenfell women rent space at the community center of the mosque so the writers that want to cast shade on the mosque are using them and the cookbook to garner clicks.

The implication of the original post I replied to was that Meghan was being targeted when the others had not been and that it was a conspiracy against Meghan.

But my point is, neither the Queen nor William’s visits took place at the mosque, so their visits could not be connected to the mosque, therefore no story.

The Grenfell women rent space at the community center of the mosque so the writers that want to cast shade on the mosque are using them and the cookbook to garner clicks.

The implication of the original post I replied to was that Meghan was being targeted when the others had not been and that it was a conspiracy against Meghan.

Yes, I understood and agreed with your point. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

Wasn't Charles the one who actually opened the mosque?

While the tone of the DM article is disgusting, the connection with the mosque has been known about and written about, at least in passing, since the Grenfell tragedy occurred. It's a large mosque, and serves a lot of people.

Yes that’s my point. There have been rumblings about the mosque for awhile so this was not breaking news. It felt beneath Camilla to write the story.

As quoted from Camilla’s article...

“In February it emerged the 37-year-old royal had made secret visits to the mosque in Westbourne Grove, which has also hosted Princes William and Harry, Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn in recent months.”

She states that others in the BRF have visited the mosque itself. But now it’s termed “Meghan’s mosque”. I’m not claiming a conspiracy but I also don’t think it’s a coincidence. We agree they’re riding Meghan’s profile to attack the mosque, and I’d add they’re attacking Meghan by association. That’s why I termed it a cheap shot on all levels.

Last edited:
Wasn't Charles the one who actually opened the mosque?

He did indeed.

And quite frankly, the piece written by Camilla Tominey is littered by alleged and supposedly from HJS. I expected much better evidence from her and if they are trying to tarnish a good project. This is exactly why some in society feel marginalized and ostracized. Meghan is certainly not the first to visit Al Manaar. I believe the young royals (Wills, Kate, and Harry at that time) made a visit there together after the Grenfell tragedy.

And btw, I feel that not knowing how mosque works, and how t differs from churches, also contribute to the problem. And I find it especially irresponsible for someone like Camilla Tomoney to do a piece as she did without talking about it because it does also put everybody else in danger. Islamophobia is a dangerous thing. Meghan has her security, but the women of Hubb Community Kitchen don’t. This is why it “possible” they visited mosque rather than either they did or they didn’t. Because it’s a place of prayer rather than cater to parishioners and have a membership system.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...k-a6860721.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
Dr Alan Mendoza, executive director of the Henry Jackson Society, said:

“The Duchess of Sussex has been poorly advised over her involvement with a mosque where many former congregants have gone on to commit terrorist acts. This is not one or two isolated cases but 19 separate individuals. A simple Google search would have highlighted concerns over these connections, and the recently expressed views of Imam Darwish.”

He did indeed.

And quite frankly, the piece written by Camilla Tominey is littered by alleged and supposedly from HJS. I expected much better evidence from her and if they are trying to tarnish a good project. This is exactly why some in society feel marginalized and ostracized. Meghan is certainly not the first to visit Al Manaar. I believe the young royals (Wills, Kate, and Harry at that time) made a visit there together after the Grenfell tragedy.

I saw a snippy post from her earlier about contacting her editor if you had complaints (Twitter conversation).

LaRae

Dr Alan Mendoza, executive director of the Henry Jackson Society, said:

“The Duchess of Sussex has been poorly advised over her involvement with a mosque where many former congregants have gone on to commit terrorist acts. This is not one or two isolated cases but 19 separate individuals. A simple Google search would have highlighted concerns over these connections, and the recently expressed views of Imam Darwish.”

So much ado about nothing....Meghan hasn't been attending the Mosque nor in any way promoting the Mosque....she's been helping a group of women at their community kitchen prepare food and get a book out there to raise money to help them serve the community more than 2 days a week.

This is a separate issue from terrorists who have come from the Mosque. That's an issue for the agencies in charge of fighting terrorism.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I would encourage people to read up on the Henry Jackson Society and their own scandals before quoting them as if they are some reputable source without their own agendas.

Reporting that there are 19 known terrorists with connections to a particular mosque is legitimate news, but it is not new news. It was reported on ages ago, more than once. Connecting it to the Hub initiative and the Duchess of Sussex is shock journalism of the worst sort, and like a lot of shock journalism, there is just enough legitimacy to make the mud more likely to stick. If royals never associated themselves with any group without the group being absolutely free from any kind of controversy or negative press, there wouldn't be very many patronages. Even the Battersea home for dogs and cats probably has some dirt associated with it if you dig hard enough.

Edited to add: And I'm using the word "legitimacy " to mean "fact" not implying in any way that there is any value or validity at all in connecting the ladies of The Hub and the terrorists. There isn't. The "fact" is that there were terrorists, and that they had attended the mosque.

Last edited:
Quoting the Henry Jackson Society.... Wonderful.

This is extremely unethical and very dangerous reporting. Meghan and this project has nothing to do with the mosque and these hardworking ladies of the Hubb may be threatened and even harmed by the recently emboldened supremacists in this country.

Also, interesting that we never saw this connection remarked and disgustingly commented on with William's project- are there any reasons that we can think of why this may be? Rudolph, perhaps? One could argue that the association was even more direct there.

Last edited:
Reporting that there are 19 known terrorists with connections to a particular mosque is legitimate news, but it is not new news. It was reported on ages ago, more than once. Connecting it to the Hub initiative and the Duchess of Sussex is shock journalism of the worst sort, and like a lot of shock journalism, there is just enough legitimacy to make the mud more likely to stick. If royals never associated themselves with any group without the group being absolutely free from any kind of controversy or negative press, there wouldn't be very many patronages. Even the Battersea home for dogs and cats probably has some dirt associated with it if you dig hard enough.

Edited to add: And I'm using the word "legitimacy " to mean "fact" not implying in any way that there is any value or validity at all in connecting the ladies of The Hub and the terrorists. There isn't. The "fact" is that there were terrorists, and that they had attended the mosque.
Btw, that’s “alleged” that Jihadi John and 19 terrorists were linked to it. The Independent article I posted explains why it’s “alleged” rather than known. Anyone can go pray at a mosque. Unlike membership for parishioners in a church. Which is what most people are more familiar with and uses in discussing mosques. Al Manaar has also had initiatives that provided workshops to educate against radicalization, but of course that does not get mentioned in many of the articles that want to paint them in a certain light.

Btw, that’s “alleged” that Jihadi John and 19 terrorists were linked to it. The Independent article I posted explains why it’s “alleged” rather than known. Anyone can go pray at a mosque. Unlike membership for parishioners in a church. Which is what most people are more familiar with and uses in discussing mosques. Al Manaar has also had initiatives that provided workshops to educate against radicalization, but of course that does not get mentioned in many of the articles that want to paint them in a certain light.

True. Although technically, anyone can go to pray at a church without being a member, too, but I understand the difference you are pointing out.

And for people who have a problem with the Henry Jackson Society, both British and American intelligence services have cited their work.

It’s not like Camilla Tominey pulled the organisation out of thin air.

And British government has had issues with them in past. Especially as they refused to publish their donors who have donated over a certain amount. They’ve had other scandals where they took money from one organization and then spread propaganda on their behalf. So to paint them as some kind of nonpartisan group without its own strong bias is mistruth at best.

Last edited:
And British government had has issues with them in past. Especially as they refused to publish their donors who have donated over a certain amount.

It’s crazy that an American organisation started by “conservative “ politicians can brand itself a think tank and become embedded into the fabric of British politics and policies. I’d strongly suggest people do critical research re the HJS before using them as a legitimate source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom