Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She said it was one of only 2 pieces that were an outright gift not a loan.

There are so many statements or assertions of "fact" bandied about without any attribution that concern topics such as this.
If Suzy Menkes has gone on the record stating the Lover's Knot tiara was a gift and not a loan and there is no reliable source that says the opposite, chances are that she is correct.
That being the case, one would expect it to be lying in the same vault as the rest of her personal jewellery and we will see it when William or Harry decide we will and not one minute before.

Any other article of jewellery that turns up elsewhere could then be safely referred to as a loaner from HM. So, if someone other than Catherine (or Harry's potential spouse) is wearing it, no harm, no foul . . . and no more ever decreasing circles. :whistling:

Last edited:
There are so many statements or assertions of "fact" bandied about without any attribution that concern topics such as this.
If Suzy Menkes has gone on the record stating the Lover's Knot tiara was a gift and not a loan and there is no reliable source that says the opposite, chances are that she is correct.

The trouble is that Menkes (& Field) have been found to have so many errors. Can we really trust the validity of their work.

Did you READ what Warren said? It's in the forward to the book. She says that the Queen would leave a pencilled no or yes on the margin.

Does anyone have any info on these earrings? Or a closeup? I'm 99.999% sure they are not but they look a lot like Kate's engagement announcement earrings.

Attachments

• hd0634.jpg
    hd0634.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 586
Does anyone have any info on these earrings? Or a closeup? I'm 99.999% sure they are not but they look a lot like Kate's engagement announcement earrings.

I can confirmed that they are not the earrings Catherine wore. Hers were Tiffany "By the Yard collection.

Here is a link to the Duchess KAte blog which has details

Duchess Kate: Search results for engagement

That's what I suspected too but they looked very similar to me. Do you have any info on these earring that Diana is wearing? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

To jump back into the Lover's Knot tiara subject, Sir Hugh Roberts, in his book "The Queen's Diamonds" says that the tiara was inherited by the Queen and worn by the Princess of Wales after her marriage (page 182). To me, the fact that it is included in the book with no comment that it was a gift to Diana means it is in the Queen's possession. While I personally have both Fields and Menkes earlier books, I feel Sir Hugh to be the better source.

^ ok and you are welcome to your own conclusions , but may I ask what you are basing it upon ?

Sir Hugh Roberts worked for the Royal Collection from 1988 until he retired in 2010. He was director of the Royal Collection for the last 14 of those years. The book was published by the Royal Collection and was written with the consent of the Queen. This is just my opinion but his credentials are far and away better than any reporter.

:previous: That's a good enough pedigree for me. Written by a man who got to actually work with, handle, stoke, and caress (and if it were me, drool over) each and every piece for twentytwo odd years. I imagine the collection catalogue is updated on a regualr basis and the jewels themselves regularly checked to ensure they remain in good repair.

Heavens, if HM the Queen knows anything it is that stuff happens. It would make perfect sense for her to have taken radical steps to ensure that sort of crisis never, ever, occurs again! And, on a more pragmatic note, jewels need to be maintained in much the same way as palaces, gardens, masterpieces of artwork, fine arts . . . the list is unending but, prior to her wedding I don't think anyone gave much thought to bling. It doesn't rust, etc. but HM is uncomfortably aware that 'stuff happens'.

I will never be rich enough to commission or buy Diana's pearls with the sapphire choker. But, I can afford Kenneth Jay Lane's knock off. Just purchased this necklace and cannot wait to try it on.

I have to admit I know very little about Diana's jewels,can anyone fill me in on what happened to her beautiful pearl & sapphire choker?

Last edited:
Bottom Link-
The crescent-shaped diamond earrings and necklace was a suite that was given to Diana by Sultan of Oman during Charles & Diana's visit to Oman in November 1986. There is a bracelet that goes along with it.

The Upper Link-
Those were Diana's South Sea Pearl dangle earrings. I think they were own private collection.

http://www.dianasjewels.net/

I'm guessing all those jewels are with William & Harry now. I agree that Diana's jewels should be worn. I guess that's down to Catherine and Harry's future wife to wear them or change them up to fit their own taste. If they don't wear them, who will?

I was playing around with some photos on Corbis and enlarging them. Here are some of the results. First, Diana wearing the other Spencer tiara:
Picture 1 It was a nice tiara for Diana. I always have liked it. I guess the only problem I can find is that the base was almost always visible.

When did the Spencer family acquire this tiara?

Dman, Thank you for the informative Court Jeweller article.
It was interesting to learn that the central part of the tiara was given by Lady Sarah Spencer to Lady Cynthia, her new sister-in-law.

I've always loved the heart motif in the Spencer tiara, it has such a romantic feel. I also thought it was very dainty compared to the other gigantic tiara's of the Windsor's.

That was very interesting to see. I would have guessed she would have worn them more often. I was also tickled to see a new-to-me photo (Spencer Tiara 7) in there.

CSW,
Thanks for that great summary. It is easy to forget so many of the outings until you see them all together.

I think though, you may be missing some of the State Opening of Parliament photos. You can usually tell be Diana's hair style and white state dress. I may be wrong but I think there are a couple of gaps.

Out of interest, as Kate got Diana's engagement ring, is there a second ring for Harry's future wife? I'm not saying there should be, just wondering if Diana ever owned another ring of any kind that could be used by Harry to give to his wife.

Out of interest, as Kate got Diana's engagement ring, is there a second ring for Harry's future wife? I'm not saying there should be, just wondering if Diana ever owned another ring of any kind that could be used by Harry to give to his wife.
Diana did own/wear on occasion a beautiful aquamarine ring, an emerald ring, and a smaller sapphire ring.

Diana's Rings

Did Princess Diana's sisters, Lady Sarah and Lady Jane, receive any of her personal jewellery?

Diana did own/wear on occasion a beautiful aquamarine ring, an emerald ring, and a smaller sapphire ring.

Diana's Rings

This is true. There was also a ring that came with her sapphire Saudi Arabia set that she got as a wedding gift (first pic below) you can see the whole set. It is said that Diana took apart the ring and put in on the bracelet to make this choker she often wore (second pic). The watch was then made into a bracelet.

But in terms of a ring for Harry's wife I think using a sapphire from this set would be a good bet. He could choose to leave the existing diamond setting or put it in a new setting to put a different twist on it. The sapphires in this set are pretty close in size to Diana's engagement ring so it wouldn't feel like there's competition among William and Harry's spouses. ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1420948077.749438.jpgImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1420948089.365590.jpg

Thanks for the info! a second sapphire ring would be a good idea for a 2nd enagement ring

It would be great to see these jewels again.

Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2

I agree. I've always loved the sapphire Saudi set and have been disappointed that Kate hasn't worn any of these pieces yet. In fact, they haven't been seen in quite a while. Diana wore them early on in her marriage but was rarely seen in them after that. She used the choker quite a bit but I'm afraid the beautiful egg sized necklace and earrings have been tucked away and I hope not dismantled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom