Danish Royal Family, Current Events Part 4: June 2012 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think royals (in general) have many private events where a dress like this can be worn and maybe that's why we haven't seen in public until now.

quite true, we forget that they probably have other gala dinners that are non official, so it is very possible that she used it for a private outing...

Some extra tidbits are trickling in.

It was noticed that Mary's hairdresser, Søren Hedegaard arrived without his husband, the extremely popular actor, Preben Kristensen. (Almost exclusively theater).
He had to cancel in the last minute, due to illness reports BB: Preben Kristensen for syg til hofbal | BILLED-BLADET

The stand-upper Jan Gintberg, who was to ball for the first time had our Marie as tablepartner and that seems to have worked out well, write BB: Jan Gintberg er vild med prinsesse Marie | BILLED-BLADET
To BB he says that he had an absolutely smashing evening and that he is most impressed with Marie, who according to Gintberg master Danish to perfection and what is even better; she has a keen sense of humors and a quick wit.

It's quite interesting that since the retirement/defection of Prince Henrik I have been waiting to see just such photos, Queen Margrethe opening the dancing with Frederik as her partner. Over the years much has been said about their relationship but since Frederik married Mary he and his mother seem to have never been closer and he has said as much.

But in the final analysis, a picture is worth a thousand words (and two are worth two thousand). Queen Margrethe and Frederik seem closer and happier than they have ever been before. Perhaps not having to worry about offending the Prince Consort's tender feelings has taken a load off!

Last edited:
It's quite interesting that since the retirement/defection of Prince Henrik I have been waiting to see just such photos, Queen Margrethe opening the dancing with Frederik as her partner. Over the years much has been said about their relationship but since Frederik married Mary he and his mother seem to have never been closer and he has said as much.

But in the final analysis, a picture is worth a thousand words (and two are worth two thousand). Queen Margrethe and Frederik seem closer and happier than they have ever been before. Perhaps not having to worry about offending the Prince Consort tender feelings has taken a load off!

I totally agree with your analysis here, Marg. Especially the second part of it. When you have a family member that displays such erratic behaviour as Prince Henrik has done, I think that you are always a bit anxious and on the edge about what's going to happen. In some ways it's sad that Prince Henrik has retired. But I also think that this new situation brings peace and stability to the whole family. And that's something that shows in these pictures.

But in the final analysis, a picture is worth a thousand words (and two are worth two thousand). Queen Margrethe and Frederik seem closer and happier than they have ever been before. Perhaps not having to worry about offending the Prince Consort tender feelings has taken a load off!

I agree 100%. The moment of the two dancing was beautifully captured. Such happiness in both the Queen and Frederik.
I think the Queen looked so proud and happy to be dancing with him. It must mean alot to see that she has the support and love from her son and heir.
This picture remained me a bit of the one from last year's birthday celebrations, after Frederik gave his speech in her honor.
https://40.media.tumblr.com/68df4a7830a0c650d2826f567c28bdd3/tumblr_nmv6r8YxoF1txjhhdo1_500.jpg

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #11, 2016.
Written by our woman at the court, Trine Larsen.

342 guest came to the ball, the official name being Art et Lettres (the DRF has to this day retained a lot of the wording and customs inspired by the French court in the 1700's), which took place at the Royal representation rooms at Chrisitiansborg Castle.
The last ball was in 2009, so for quite a few of those invited it was the first ball.
Mary wore a dress by Temperley.
Our Marie one by Rikke Gudnitz.
QMII a dress made by Birgitte Thaulow.

When the guests filed past the DRF it was in accordance with the protocol.
First the ladies and gentlemen of the court.
Followed by the PM and the Minister for Culture and the Chairwoman of the Parliament.
Then the ordinary guests followed.
It was actually a problem that QMII was sitting down. Because some of the ladies wearing longs gowns had problems curtsying and holding QMII's hand while wearing stilettos. The difference of some 40 cm between sitting down and standing up apparently makes a big difference.

As the only one Princess Nathalie got a kiss on the cheek by QMII, but she is of course family.
Frederik was more heartwarm in some of his greetings. Not least the singer Lars HUG, who got a big hug, and also a kiss on the cheek from Mary. Lars HUG was the one who wrote the lines about weightless love that Frederik quoted in his wedding-speech.

The party was seated at round eight-man tables.
QMII sat between director Bille August and entertainer Søren Østergaard, who didn't know beforehand that his tablepartner was to be QMII. - Søren Østergaard has performed for QMII before and his wacky humor inevitably makes her crack up.
Frederik was seated between actress Danica Curcic and triathlete, Camilla Pedersen, who was presented with a award some time back by Frederik. After a serious accident she was in coma, yet she recovered and recovered enough to win the world championships.
Mary was seated between actor Lars Mikkelsen and singer, Rasmus Seebach, whom it is absolutely certain her children is very familiar with.
Marie was seated between stand-upper, Jan Gintberg and designer Stine Goya (so it seems a rearrangement must have taken place, because normally women are not seated next to each other).

During the dinner, the Music Corps of the Royal Lifeguard played and the Copenhagen Boys Choir sang.

After the dinner it was time for dancing Les Lanciers, led by the younger members of the DRF.

Then the conferencier of the evening, Jesper Kryger went on stage and pretended to be improvising: "While we're here shouldn't we just have the wildest party"? Yeah!!
He snapped his finger and the Royal Lifeguard played QMII's Parademarch. Another snap and 40 gentlemen wearing bearskin caps (guards headgear) marched in on the balcony overlooking the hall playing Paul Simon's You Can Call Me Al.
Afterwards Jesper Kryger asked if they'd like it even wilder. Yeah!! The lighting went into disco-mode and 30 dancers from PIVOT, dressed up like the discreet freemasons who had been serving, started dancing between the tables to Michael Jackson's Don't Stop Till You Get Enough. By which time everyone, QMII included, stood clapping with their hands over their heads.

See more here: https://app.box.com/s/p264s06u3dcxx8unwv9t5tl8gsf1xcro

Last edited:
Man Tak for taking the time to give us this information Muhler.

Frederik was more heartwar, in some of his greetings. Not least the singer Lars HUG, who got a big hug, and a kiss on the cheek from Mary. Lars HUG was the one who wrote the lines about weightless love that Frederik quoted in his wedding-speech.

thank you for all the details :flowers:
how nice the relationship with Lars, his lyrics are obviously something really special to Frederik and Mary

King Henrik nowhere to be seen :D

He should have been there.

Surely all the travelling he's been doing is far more strenuous than attending this function by his wife's side?

Look at this close-up picture of Frederik dancing with his mother at last Tuesday's evening gathering for Art and Culture. I think Margrethe in that exactly moment is genuine happy :wub:

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=76d4a74a5be395e84696310c6550a58e&oe=57892C73

We saw it already back in April at Margrethe's 75th birthday that Frederik took over for his father (who allegedly was down with the flu.) It was Henrik who should have held the welcome speech at the officiel dinner, but here Frederik had to take over.

Last Tuesday we saw it again. Frederik took over and opened the dance floor with the Queen.

I think we are now seeing and will continue to see that Frederik officially will replace Prince Henrik.

Right, life goes on and this is yet another day where we really need a positive diversion.
The DRF-coverage in BB this week is massive!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #12, 2016.
Written by our reporter at the court, Trine Larsen.

The coverage of the ball for the arts continues this week, this time with focus on what happened at the ball after the dinner.

And let's start with a bit of trivia: Mary's necklace/tiare was bought by Mary at an auction.
Mary know several people within the auction-world who can be of assistance, among them Nina Wedell-Wedellsborg who is the Danish manager for Sothesby. - I don't know if BB is hinting something.
The article only states: It's rare such jewels are for sale, so when the Crown Princess was made aware of the unique necklace she struck. - End quote.

After the dinner QMII and Frederik entered the dance floor, dancing to Sinatra's Come Fly With Me. More entered the floor, among them Mary with her table-partner, the Minister for Culture, Bertil Haarder. And Frederik stayed on the dance floor dancing with his mother for the next tune as well, Armstrong's What a Wonderful World.

QMII, whose back didn't seem to bother her, danced on a few more times, among them her good friend the actor Joen Bille and the manager for Tivoli, Peter Bo Bendixen.

The ball ended with Les Lanciers, where the DRF directed those less accomplished in that particular dance under general merriment.

Our Marie wore her flower-tiara but also a diamond brooch.

Now for some comments afterwards from those who took part at the ball. I'll focus on what they had to say about the DRF.

Rasmus Seebach, who was seated next to Mary: "The clock isn't a bit before five. (reference to a song) It's twenty to two and it's been a formidable evening. It's really been a beautiful evening. Just like a fairy-tale. It's been cool. I had the Crown Princess as table-partner. I'm very honored about that and about this evening, so I think I'll sleep well".

Thure Lidhardt, who was late: "... I sat at Princess Marie's table. I sat across from her, so it was limited how much I spoke with her during the dinner, but I did speak with the Princess after the dinner. She's incredible sweet and funny and interested. A very dedicated person".

Jan Gintberg, stand-upper: "I did terrible at the dance-floor. I've never danced lancier before. I danced backward at some point, where everyone danced forward. I had a good seat next to Princess Marie and got to hear that you can learn Danish at a very high level in an incredible short time. I thought Princess Marie spoke a very accomplished Danish. And then she had a good sense of humor".

Caroline Henderson, singer: "The party offered nice wine, nice food, champagne and not least lancier. I did that one really, really well. We were in a royal kvadrille (dance-group of four, here with a royal) and I was a bit nervous about that, because one doesn't want to spoil it, but I'll put it like this, our kvadrille was the wildest and most fun. And I've been flying. My husband and Prince Joachim saw to that. It was fantastic. We've had a great evening".

Ulf Pilgaard, actor and QMII-impersonator per excellence. For him this was the fifth ball: "... Today it's very relaxed and cheerful and I have a feeling the royals actually enjoy the parties just as much as the rest of us do. And yes, it's a very grand party and extra cozy because we are many who know each other...".

Camilla Pedersen, athlete: "I sat next to Crown Prince Frederik and it was a huge pleasure and I feel so honored. And then he's just a really delightful person to sit next to. He is also well versed in the world of sport, so that was really an experience. There was talked a bit ironman and a bit about various sports and he also told me about some places in the world where he had been and where he thought I should go, so it was some good hints he came up with...".

Søren Østergaard, entertainer and QMII's table-partner: "... I had met the Queen many times before (each time he has a show, she's there!), but being table-partner, that sure is something else. - The Queen is so knowledgeable, wise and easy to talk to.
We were phoned a couple of days in advance before the party and asked whether Lisbeth (his wife and actress) could dance in the Queen's kvadrille. But Lisbeth didn't have much time to practice, so we were excited to see how it would go. But also here the Queen was understanding, and she kindly/sweetly directed and dragged Lisbeth back, when she was dancing the wrong way around".

You can see more from the ball, as well as the rest of this weeks issue, here: https://app.box.com/s/zzgjxgwszj51biirmyxxg4gn4zgst323

Last edited:
It all sounds wonderful. Is a kvadrille like a quadrille? How fantastic that the Danish royals still take part in this beautiful old dance.

It all sounds wonderful. Is a kvadrille like a quadrille? How fantastic that the Danish royals still take part in this beautiful old dance.

I believe so. They also use it as the basic group in folk-dance here in DK.

:previous: thank you Muhler for all the extra info, especially about the tiara. It seems like a delightful evening.
"What a Wonderful World" -now that is a beautiful song!

so Mary bought the tiara herself? nice ;)

Wow Mary buying the tiara herself! I never would have guessed. So now we might see more of it in the future I hope.

:previous: I guess. A good investment I think.
Not to mention that she has two daughters and hopefully two future daughters-in-law.

Also, I think the tiara is a good choice because it's not too modern and the design fits well with royal events. I.e. it's classic and pretty conservative.

The Regent Couple and Crown Princely Couple are present at the gala dinner on the occasion of the Royal Danish Yacht Club's 150th anniversary.

The Queen is the patron, Henrikhonorary president, and Frederik and Mary honorary members

Frederik and Mary
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...ight_12grid/public/_jsu3835.jpg?itok=nqcZFj5S

the two couples greeting each other. looking lovely
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...blic/media/article/_jsu3914.jpg?itok=mAjtVKms

added: more photos
they look so handsome
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:92581328:preview:watermark?v=57220bbb&m=nlhegkbd
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:92581315:preview:watermark?v=57220bbb&m=pilkaapc
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:92581288:preview:watermark?v=57220bbb&m=gpjcchdi

the Queen (with a lovely smile from Frederik behind her)
http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:92581264:preview:watermark?v=57220bbb&m=kggbpgbf

Last edited:
Thanks Polyesco :flowers:

More pictures from tonight:

http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:92581310:preview:watermark?v=57220bbb&m=fiaoehld
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:92581315:preview:watermark?v=57220bbb&m=pilkaapc
http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:92581303:preview:watermark?v=57220bbb&m=mgjcekpe
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:92581261:preview:watermark?v=57220bbb&m=cdalkglp

Great to see the Regent couple and the Crown Prince Couple together on these events. We very often see Margrethe, Frederik and Mary, but good to see Henrik participating too.

Margrethe looks fresh, and the CP couple are really a handsome couple.

I saw this comment on Facebook I think is quite nice:

"Fantastic picture! I am so mega proud of our crown prince couple and queen �� Once I thought that no person(s) would be able to lift the future heritage to that level of today. I must just say that our crown prince couple completely have thrown that thought away! They do it more than excellent and I as a Dane are proud of the crown prince couple to take over and be the danish royal family's future ����"

Last edited:
Great gallery from PPE:

PPE Agency

Is Margrethe wearing flags as a necklace? She looks good.

Mary so feminime and wonderful in her soft pink summer gown, and Frederik in tux is always a winner.

Last edited:
Great gallery from PPE:

PPE Agency

Is Margrethe wearing flags as a necklace? She looks good.

Mary so feminime and wonderful in her soft pink summer gown, and Frederik in tux is always a winner.

She is. Signal flags.
She's used that before in connection with Dannebrog. - She too was dressed in her finest, i.e. the signal flags were up from stem to stern.

KDY:

HRH Crown Prince Frederik appointed new honorary chairman of KDY
https://translate.google.com/transl...news_reader.php4?uv&uniq_id=7629&p&edit-text=

"Royal Danish Yacht Club is honored to announce that HRH Crown Prince Frederik take over the honorary chairmanship from his father HRH Prince Henrik"

"This means the continuation of a tradition in the royal family, which goes back to King Christian 9. (anno 1891)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom