Crown Princess Mary's Work for Women's Rights (+Women Deliver Conference) 2015 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

It is a good interview.
Roskilde and I have been talking about translating at least part of it, but that won't be until some time next week though.

:previous: It would be greatly appreciated :flowers:
Google translate can only do so much.

The pictures came out really beautiful and natural.
Great focus on her work, looking forward to the conference in May.

In May, Copenhagen will host the worlds largest international conference "Women Deliver" which focuses on women's health and rights. On that occasion Eurowoman DK has spoken with the conference's patron HRH Crown Princess Mary to a frankly talk about her work with gender equality.

- She's intelligent, strong and committed - and we are very proud to have a long and frankly interview with patron Crown Princess Mary in next month's edition of the Danish Eurowoman in the occasion of the international conference "Women Deliver":

A little sneak peak of the interview:
http://www.eurowoman.dk/fra-magasin...re-den-der-altid-henter-og-bringer-sine-born/

The May issue of Danish EuroWoman with HRH Crown Princess Mary:
http://www.eurowoman.dk/Upload/Anne Nørkjær Bang/maryforside.jpg

That we have a Crown Princess who has brain and commitment is there no doubt about. And it's more than clear that she can her working stuff more than 120 percent. Being patron and host of the upcoming world largest women's conference in Copenhagen is a big role for our Crown Princess. I genuine looking forward to read the interview. Which I know will be packed with substantial, educational and fact-filled information. She knows her stuff.

Eurowoman DK is avaible from Wednesday, April 20.

ADDED:
You may remember the long and very frankly interview also CP Frederik gave in Euroman DK two years ago:
http://www.euroman.dk/artikler/artikler-fra-magasinet/udbryderkongen/

Last edited:
:previous: Great. 100% so far about her work and the conference in May, the she is patron of. Women's Deliver in Denmark this year.
this picture is beautiful
http://www.eurowoman.dk/upload/fixed/643/405/anne nørkjær bang/marytileurowoman.jpg

"Why Women Deliver relevant for Danish women?
"Firstly I would like to emphasize that this does not only concern Danish women. It concerns all Danes. I hope that the conference can create a little more understanding of the conditions of women in other parts of the world, because we have it so good here in Denmark. We are enormously privileged, "she says."

who can forget Frederik's interview and the nice pictures ;). it was a very open interview. I believe Joachim did one last year or so. they are well done
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/6e/f5/946ef5f27492b28687d783b52848b40f.jpg

article from BT regarding Mary's interview for Eurowoman
Kronprinsesse Mary i stort interview: Lad være med at dømme en karrierekvinde

"When Copenhagen to May is host to the International Conference 'Women Deliver', which focuses on women's health and rights, hopes Princess Mary, among other things equality becomes a topic of conversation around the Danish dinner tables up to, during and after the conference, as she is patroness.

For although she believes that most Danes realize how good we have it here at home, she hopes that the conference can create discussion because it also focuses on the challenges that are still in Denmark - such as domestic violence"

great way to put focus on the upcoming conference

I expect to buy the magazine tomorrow.
Scan it and write either a summary or a translation.

It's rare the Crown Prince Couple gives these larger interviews so BT has of course picked up excerpts from the interview:

Kronprinsesse Mary i stort interview: Lad være med at dømme en karrierekvinde

Here a excerpt from CP Mary talking about her commitment and work for equality.

Mary til de royale tvillinger: Nyd jeres fødselsdag - det er jeres sidste!

Here a excerpt fra CP Mary talking about being mother to small children. Sometimes you just wish you could press the pause-button when your children grow up so (too) fast. She says that the most important for her and Frederik are their children believe in themselves and that they believe that they can 'live the life which calls on them', and that they have 'freedom to choose and be themselves'.

Kronprinsesse Mary: Sådan har jeg det med at gå bag Frederik

Here is an excerpt from Mary talking about how she feels about she officially have to walk one step behind her husband. She doesn't care at all. It's officially and a symbolic tradition, and in private they are entirely equal:

"I think we are very equal. We are partners. Equal partners. Also when it comes to how we are the parents of our children. So it may well be that there is a tradition for me to go one step behind my husband when we are out, and I fully and entirely accept that. It is something symbolic and tradition bound, but that does not mean that we are unequal in our marriage. "

In fact, I will not go into more details. For I know our excellent Muhler will scan and give a translation of the full interview later :flowers:

Last edited:
:previous:

From someone who just have read the whole interview:

Line Lauritzen@ I have just read the interview with the crown princess ����
A charming, loving, reflective, balanced, funny woman with a knowledge and a cleverness which can not be taken mistaken!

To be mother is her most important role! The home base with the crown prince and the children are her and the the crown prince's foundation. She is Danish! It is from here her world goes.. as she says. (With reference to the Danish national anthem 'In Denmark I am born")

She is a tireless fighter who is passionated about to make a difference, to do her best and to do everything she can to earn her title.

I can only recommend reading the interview.

Last edited:
Right, as Roskilde has mentioned in the above posts, Mary has given a very long interview to the May issue of Eurowoman, the female equivalent to Euroman, to which Frederik has also given an interview.

Now, since it's such a long interview I've decided to split it up into three parts.
The first parts will be a mood-description and the impressions by the journalist interviewing Mary, which suits the photos in the article.
Most of the photos were made in Mary's office.
One photo was taken on the roof.
One on the main staircase and at least on in a sitting room.

The next part will be about Mary herself, how she view her role and her family.

The third part will be about gender equality and Women Deliver.

See for yourselves here: https://app.box.com/s/fm623o0oyfc88ny2prxkhw3e9imlb5py

-----------------------------

The interview took place in February 2016, in Mary's office after the photographers were done.

Here follows the interviewer's (Mette Størum Krogh) impressions.

We are sitting in the office of the Crown Princess, where she is serving coffee prior to the interview. The last item on a long agenda which started with photo-shoots in the royal chambers, that is Frederik VIII's mansion at Amalienborg where the CP couple resides with the four children.
The crowning glory so to speak.

"Do You (formal you) use milk?", she asks while she pour piston-coffee in the white-fluted cup from Danish Copenhagen. I pour water to compliment the fine hosting.
There are filled chocolates and monogrammed napkins and we have seated ourselves in the soft cushions. A lilac two-person velour-couch with puffed pillows, also in lilac, which is the favorite color of the Crown Princess.
We are sitting facing each other, the Crown Princess as usual elegantly dressed in black and homely casual, even though she has put on her work-clothes.
She spends a lot of time in the beautifully furnished office, surrounded by white and fuchsia-colored orchids, a bouquet of cut rose-nuanced flowers on the desk ad a flower-decoration on the wall behind the desk by the artist Erik A Frandsen, who was one of ten artists selected to decorated the official rooms in connection with restoration of the residence in 2004-2010.
The large gold-framed mirror from floor to ceiling between the paned windows and the crystal chandelier in the ceiling reveals that it's not any office are in.
"Are You comfortable"? She shuffles the pillows behind me to make it more comfortable for me. We are going to sit here for a long time, because "it's heavy subjects we are going to talk about, she says with lightness in her tone.
She's well-prepared and excited, even though we have been on the go since morning and the rest of the Eurowoman-team have long since left the building and left us for a talk about what is the occasion for the interview: equality, one of the cardinal subjects of the Crown Princess.
"I've occuped myself with this subject for almost ten years, so it's very much on my mind", she emphasizes and sit herself more comfortable with crossed legs and a determined look on her face.

(During the interview)
The Crown Princess talks eagerly and long. The eyes are attentive, the gaze present and the arguments are delivered with precision. It's obvious she has a lot to say when it comes to the rights of women and girls. Only once during the interview does she briefly and almost imperceptibly switch ton English, only to quickly switch back to an almost flawless Danish.

During the interview I have a view of four large black and white pictures of the Crown Princess' children, which act as a background for our conversation.
Prince Christian age ten, Princess Isabella age eight and the twins Vincent and Josephine age five. "Picture perfect" and the perfect frame for one of the major subjects of the interview, motherhood, which is the basis of the whole thing.
As they hang there as nature created them, there doesn't seem to be the big difference between them, even if there are tow of each. And yet.

Last edited:
:previous: thank you so much Muhler. I look forward to the next parts. :flowers:
Very nice of Mary to use this as a vehicle to promote not only the conference next month but the topics at hand, Women rights.

:previous: thanks again
Like her statement about her and Frederik being equal in their marriage. Something Frederik made sure to demonstrate when he made a point to introduce Mary again and again in their recent official visit abroad. ;)

Good thought out answers that i feel are natural and honest. love that she ties in her work to everything

Last edited:
You are welcome, ladies. :)

Just to make a little thing clear:

You are free to download my scans and upload them elsewhere from your own account.
No hot-linking, please. I.e. no linking outside TRF directly to my account.
Otherwise I will have to block the links to my account. :sad:

As for copyrights: Eurowoman (and usually Billed Bladet) has copyrights, not me, so they are the ones to credit rather than me.

It's a simple, but necessary precaution and I'm sure you understand and respect this. :)

Third and final part of the interview in Eurowoman: https://app.box.com/s/23ebfe3umrix2fayf8nu6b4p0i0v3vur

This time about Women Deliver and gender equality in Denmark and elsewhere.

Now, Mary has never been short of words, especially when it's a subjects she's passionate about!
As this interview is very long, I've summarized it and picked out what I think are the most important bits.
If other Danes wish to point out something I omitted, please do so.

:previous:

Thanks for your huge work, Muhler :flowers:

I have enjoyed this interview - and as always with the interviews with Mary - learned a lot of new knowledge.

Kronprinsesse Mary er landet i Burkina Faso | BILLED-BLADET

BB's Ulrik Ulriksen is with Mary in Burkina Faso and he reports that the delegation touched down in the capital of Ouagadougou late Tuesday evening.
And Wednesday morning she and the Foreign Minister, Christian Jensen, started their visit.

They went to the Kaya region where they visited women and children in villages there and talked to the women. Giving birth in Burkina Faso is very risky indeed. The mortality rate is at medieval levels. And since the average women give birth to 5.7 children the risk of dying while giving birth is very real. And as such Mary having only four children didn't cause any raised eyebrows. The fact that Danish women give birth to 1.7 children on average did however raise eyebrows!

-----------------------------------

:previous: Indeed they do.
Kronprinsesse Mary støtter fattige kvinder i Burkina Faso - Afrika - International

I guess it hasn't been announced before due to security issues. Islamists have become increasingly active in that part of Africa.
Another matter is that Danish special forces have been deployed to Mali and that means they have reasonably good intelligence info and soldiers ready to provide protection for Mary and the Foreign Minister.
When visiting places with a higher threat level than usual, it's the military who protects Danish dignitaries, including the DRF.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks :) This will be a quick visit with Mary having duties Friday morning back home in Copenhagen. I guess it fitted with the visit could be squeezed into the calendar these two days after being postphoned back in January. I wish the Crown Princess and the Minister for Foreign Affairs two good days.

Visiting a maternity clinic at Korsimoro town, Kaya region.
It's the Foreign Minister Kristian Jensen who is holding the child:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChChSw6W0AQbkVB.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChCb97kWkAEpeFB.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChChSw6W0AQbkVB.jpg:large

DR article: Crown Princess Mary has secretly traveled to the African country to support abused woman
Kronprinsesse Mary er i al hemmelighed rejst til uroplaget afrikansk land | Nyheder | DR

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Polyesco & Roskilde. :flowers:

Not that I have anything against the Foreign Minister, but it fills me with glee that the politicians are obliged to have their name after the name of a member of the DRF on official statements. :D

DK has indeed for many been involved in projects in Burkina Faso. I remember from my childhood a official Christmas calendar being sold with the proceeds going to Burkina Faso.
Did some reading. Burkina Faso is a mix of Christians, former Maoists (I think you can also call that a religion!), various fractions of Islam and believers in the original religions as well.
Her bodyguards to me smell like FET. They tend to have a more determined and menacing look on their faces than the police officers from PET.

Her bodyguards to me smell like FET. They tend to have a more determined and menacing look on their faces than the police officers from PET.
I recognized one PET in one of the photos.

no wonder this visit was unannounced given the terrorist attacks earlier this year and the current security climate worldwide...

it's short but i hope we get some more pictures! burkina faso certainly seems like the kind of place that needs attention to advance women issues.

no wonder this visit was unannounced given the terrorist attacks earlier this year and the current security climate worldwide...

it's short but i hope we get some more pictures! burkina faso certainly seems like the kind of place that needs attention to advance women issues.

More pictures and news from today :previous:

Crown Princess Mary is meeting a 15 year old mother, who has to cycle home from school to breastfeed the baby during breaks:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChEf4MFWUAUxgCy.jpg:large (Good little picture :wub:)
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5584ed67f0b244afdf21c33519abffce&oe=57B93529

Crown Princess Mary listening to Lebda women victims of fistula:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChDhFqCW4AAhgQf.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChD8BrYW4AEq4Mx.jpg:large

Crown Princess Mary & Kristian Jensen welcomed by Lebda village Chief:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChDZDioU8AA-nqG.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChDVdaqW0AAVARn.jpg:large

CP Mary talking with the media (I can spot microphones from both DR and Billed Bladet) about husbands school bring men&women working together for the community health & local development:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChEAoS6U0AA5kgl.jpg:large

Also TV2 is along on this trip...

I have just watched a longer and informative feature about their visit in the 22-News.
Both Mary and the Foreign Minister were interviewed.

TV2 has a reporter along - so I guess we're going to get coverage also tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Roskilde. :flowers:

The late news on TV2 had a long report from the visit.

The delegation visited a health care clinic, that in my eyes looked very primitive, but it's pretty well-equipped according to Burkina Faso standards!

Anyway, most women give birth a home. Partly because it costs two Dollars to give birth at a clinic, and that's serious money in rural Burkina Faso, and partly because traditionally the families and men in particular don't feel women should go to a clinic for something as trivial as giving birth. Really, now!
But women's condition during pregnancies, let alone letting them give birth at a clinic, not to mention birth control and allowing women to decide how many children they have goes against traditional male-views. - I mean, a real man who isn't in control of that he is nothing but a "tøffelhelt" (*)

However, the delegation also visited a school, where women and especially their husbands are taught that it does make good sense to make sure their wives are well looked after while pregnant and that it's much more safe to give birth at the clinics, for woman and child. That projects has been going on for two years now, with considerable success they say.

(*) Now I need a little help from English speakers. :)
What is the English word for a husband who is meek and under control of his wife. The "yes, dear" type. The Danish word is tøffelhelt = slipper(shoe)-hero.

Last edited:
Thank you Muhler and Roskilde - as ever - for the updates. The photo with Mary and the baby is adorable!

In terms of English words or phrases for a meek husband; the ones that spring to mind are "under the thumb," or "hen-pecked". Both could be colloquialisms though, so interested in any variations!

Last edited:
Thanks, MissP :)

Polyesco :)flowers:) has suggested: whipped.

Thanks, Roskilde. :flowers:

The late news on TV2 had a long report from the visit.

The delegation visited a health care clinic, that in my eyes looked very primitive, but it's pretty well-equipped according to Burkina Faso standards!

Anyway, most women give birth a home. Partly because it costs two Dollars to give birth at a clinic, and that's serious money in rural Burkina Faso, and partly because traditionally the families and men in particular don't feel women should go to a clinic for something as trivial as giving birth. Really, now!
But women's condition during pregnancies, let alone letting them give birth at a clinic, not to mention birth control and allowing women to decide how many children they have goes against traditional male-views. - I mean, a real man who isn't in control of that he is nothing but a "tøffelhelt" (*)

However, the delegation also visited a school, where women and especially their husbands are taught that it does make good sense to make sure their wives are well looked after while pregnant and that it's much more safe to give birth at the clinics, for woman and child. That projects has been going on for two years now, with considerable success they say.

(*) Now I need a little help from English speakers. :)
What is the English word for a husband who is meek and under control of his wife. The "yes, dear" type. The Danish word is tøffelhelt = slipper(shoe)-hero.

thank you Muhler:flowers:
the slang word in English would be whipped. (in my neck of the woods)

the part I placed in bold is really important. Men/husbands need to learn and take an active part so there can be improvements. Great job by these organizations

Mary is a natural with babies, very cute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom