Christening of Princess Leonore: June 8, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in spanish press wrote letizia refuses to be godmother

But isn't this how the spanish press work? They seem to love negative stories about P.Letizia and if she turns out not to be a godparent (which imo is likely because i can think of several people who'd be higher on the list) then the general public will think that there was some truth in it...

IMO, it is highly unlikely that they pick Letizia as a godmother.
Letitzia was not at their wedding, so does not seem to present herself as a friend of M&C.
I would bet on Martha-Louise as a royal godparent. She is in a similar situation as I think Madeleine will be in (stepping away from royal duties and titles) so she could coach Leonore to cope with it ;-)

IMO, it is highly unlikely that they pick Letizia as a godmother.
Letitzia was not at their wedding, so does not seem to present herself as a friend of M&C.
I would bet on Martha-Louise as a royal godparent. She is in a similar situation as I think Madeleine will be in (stepping away from royal duties and titles) so she could coach Leonore to cope with it ;-)

thank you so much

Gossip magazine Se & Hör continues to write that Madeleine demands to decide herself everything regarding the christening. Annika Sönnerberg said to Se & Hör that Madeleine and Chris are very much involved with the planning.
Se & Hör has Madeleine's list for wishes for the christening:
Madeleine shall wear jewelry of Princess Lilian
She decides the hymns
The flowers that will decorate the church are Madeleine's own favorites
The guest list of 160 people is decided by her
After the baptism there will be held a private event
The court should arrange practical things for a subsequent christening party in the evening for the closest.
Stoppa pressarna quotes the article of Se & Hör
Här är prinsessan Madeleines kravlista inför dopet Stoppa Pressarna
Cover of Se & Hör
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/SOH.jpg

This is pure gossip of course.
To wear Lilian's jewelry shouldn't be a problem since princess Lilian left a heart of aquamarine and ring with aquamarine to Madeleine in her will.

Last edited:

Don't believe a word of it! Letizia is not in Madeleine's age group and I doubt the two even know one another well. Letizia is a Catholic future queen of Spain. It is unlikely that she would be considered an appropriate choice of godparent for minor Protestant royalty.

I think Madeleine and Chris will ask members of their immediate families to be godparents.

Finnish MTV writes that queen Silvia told to Expressen that "Madeleine made a wish that the christening should be in Drottningholm. It will be small and familiar. We should respect that". Queen Silvia told again that it is great to be a grandmother for the second time, she misses Madeleine but Madeleine keeps her well updated what is happening. Leonore is growing up well and also Madeleine is feeling well.
Kuningatar Silvia: Leonore kasvaa kovaa vauhtia - Viihde - MTV.fi

I wonder if Princess Estelle will attend the christening of Princess Leonore.

As she has attend the wedding of Princess Madeleine and Chris I guess she will. But we will see.

What do you think?

Yes, I think Estelle will make an appearance at the christening. Judging by the recent photos of her and Leonore together, she seems to enjoy being with her little cousin. I would be surprised if she didn't attend.

I find it interesting that Madeleine wants Leonore to be christened in Drottningholm and not the cathedral in Stockholm, which was where Estelle was christened, IIRC. (Please correct me if I'm incorrect.) I hope the event won't be too private as I'd love to see some photos.

Yes, I think Estelle will make an appearance at the christening. Judging by the recent photos of her and Leonore together, she seems to enjoy being with her little cousin. I would be surprised if she didn't attend.

I find it interesting that Madeleine wants Leonore to be christened in Drottningholm and not the cathedral in Stockholm, which was where Estelle was christened, IIRC. (Please correct me if I'm incorrect.) I hope the event won't be too private as I'd love to see some photos.

I too think that Princess Estelle will be present for the baptism. Actually Princess Estelle was baptized in the church of the royal palace of Stockholm where Madeleine and Chris were married

Last edited:
The director of the court press department, Margareta Thorgren, told to Aftonbladet, that no members of the foreign royal families have been invited to the christening. This is a smaller and more family christening than princess Estelle's. Royal expert Roger Lundgren says this shows that Madeleine goes her own way and of course Madeleine doesn't have much connections with the other royal families like Victoria has. And because Leonore isn't the daughter of the future queen, it isn't so odd that she doesn't get royal godparents of foreign royals.
Inga blåblodiga bjudna till dopet | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Last edited:
So no foreign royals? Well, then I must admit that I find 6 godparents to be a little bit over the top....

Is a godparent only meant to be symbolic, or would they expect all 6 godparents to play a role in the little girl's life?

Why not take 4, 1 friend and 1 family member each???

it just fits the 'specialty' of madeleine. she prefers to be royal when it suits/benefits her (or her daughter), the baptism is strange as there are more godparents than estelle but no other royals invited, its supposed to be 'private' in her home palace chapel, yet it is being televised.
imo because madeleine is the youngest, she could always do as she pleases and we can still see this today. i understand why she is being critizised in sweden so harshly, there is no red line in her life/choices that define her as working royal or not a working royal.

this article talks about the christening of leonore, although some of the info seems rather strange. they confirm that leonore will have 6 godmothers and 6 godfathers (which would be rather unsual) and that chris wants the godparents to be catholics, as he is a practicant catholic. they also say that letizia had been asked to be godmother, but refused it based on the fact that she's actually agnostic, even though officially she attends any catholic events.

Letizia, la madrina que pudo ser - Noticias de Casas Reales

I think it's all rubbish! And what connections do Madde and Chris have with Leti? I think the press wants to denigrate her as always

I wouldn't believe the article for one second. There seems to be no warm friendship between Princesses Letizia and Madeleine, and I don't think they see each other a lot, apart from at a large royal gathering perhaps.The Spanish press are known to attack Letizia, so I think they used Leonore's christening as an opportunity to "bash" her. Also, when an article says that Leonore will have six godmothers and six godfathers when there's been confirmation of six godparents altogether, you know it's unreliable! ;)

Personally I think that Leonore will get another Scandinavian royal, some of Madeleine's friends, one of Chris's sisters or maybe another Bernadotte as godparents.

I wouldn't believe the article for one second. There seems to be no warm friendship between Princesses Letizia and Madeleine, and I don't think they see each other a lot, apart from at a large royal gathering perhaps.The Spanish press are known to attack Letizia, so I think they used Leonore's christening as an opportunity to "bash" her. Also, when an article says that Leonore will have six godmothers and six godfathers when there's been confirmation of six godparents altogether, you know it's unreliable! ;)

Personally I think that Leonore will get another Scandinavian royal, some of Madeleine's friends, one of Chris's sisters or maybe another Bernadotte as godparents.

Since the court has told that no foreign royals are invited to the christening, the swedish royal experts think that Estelle will not get any foreign royals as her godparents either.

Since the court has told that no foreign royals are invited to the christening, the swedish royal experts think that Estelle will not get any foreign royals as her godparents either.

I think you meant Princess Leonore?:ermm:

Slightly bummed that little Leonore wont have a non-Swedish royal godparent but obviously it's logical since Madeleine isn't nearly as attached to foreign royals as Victoria is. Have to update my godparents-guess now.

Ah, that's a little disappointing. I was hoping that either Princess Marie of Denmark or Princess Martha Louise of Norway would be godparents to Princess Leonore, but I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up. So I guess it will just be family friends and members on the godparents list.

Chris has at least two sisters who are married into the aristocracy and also has many very well connected friends. That, combined with the Swedish Royal family themselves, means that Chris and Madeleine have a very suitable group from which to choose godparents for their new daughter without any members of foreign RF's.

Will the christening be held in Swedish or in English?

Margareta Thorgren told to Expressen, that since the christening is an official event of state, the king doesn't have to pay anything about it. All costs will be paid from the apanage the court gets from the government and parliament. When the annual report was published, it was told that from the apanage was paid 3 million SEK to pay Madeleine's and Chris' wedding, and the king paid himself more than 3 million SEK of the wedding costs.
- There is budgeting for baptism, but if you compare it with previous baptisms, this is a much smaller baptism - it is how Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill want it. It becomes a more familiarly baptism without foreign royals invited, says Thorgren.
Royal Court's chef of economy Jan Lindman says:
- We currently have no figures for what baptism is going to cost, we will not be going out with such data. This is an official state event and the basis for how the court works is that the official affairs of state are included in our business.
The private lunch, then, it is also an affair of state?
- "Private lunch" is more an expression of that TV doesn't get to film there. There is no clear boundary between what royal private commitments are and what is the commitment is as king. It is what makes our business different. This is an official commitment, because it is a princess of Sweden to be baptized.
Kungen slipper betala för Leonores dop Nyheter Expressen
Translation

The private lunch, then, it is also an affair of state?
- "Private lunch" is more an expression of that TV doesn't get to film there. There is no clear boundary between what royal private commitments are and what is the commitment is as king. It is what makes our business different. This is an official commitment, because it is a princess of Sweden to be baptized.
Kungen slipper betala för Leonores dop Nyheter Expressen
Translation

What is the criterion to define who is a "prince or princess of Sweden" ? In the Netherlands for example, the law ordinarily restricts the title of "prince/princess of the Netherlands" (with the accompanying H.R.H. style) to:

1. A former monarch upon abdication.
  2. The heir apparent to the throne.
  3. Legitimate children of the monarch.
  4. Legitimate children of the heir apparent.
  5. The consorts of the monarch and of the heir apparent.
Other grandchildren of the monarch who are not born to the heir apparent may by law get other titles (e.g. "prince of Orange-Nassau" with a lower HH style), but, since Queen Beatrix's accession, they have been given non-royal titles of nobility instead (e.g. "count/countess of Orange-Nassau" for the children of prince Constantijn and prince Friso).

In Sweden, on the other hand, it appears that the king decides on his own who should be an H.R.H or not. That is fine as long as the number of people in the line of succession is small (as it is the case now), but, in the future, as the number of direct descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf grows, I imagine the Swedish Parliament will have to pass specific legislation limiting membership of the royal house or, otherwise, there will be an explosion in the number of "princes/princesses of Sweden".

I wonder what the Swedish citizens on this group think about this issue.

Back
Top Bottom