Christening of Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella: May 10, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
Looking forward how the twins look like now. They change a lot in 5 month :)

I don't think anyone is suggesting that P.Charlene treats her children differently; it's just the official differences made between the second-born heir and the first-born spare that are a little unusual to our western ears so we comment on that..

In most other (at least west european) monarchies if the situation had occured there, the first-born would be the heir and the second-born the spare, regardless of gender. So if Gabriella and Jacques were for instance born in the Netherlands, Sweden, the UK, Gabriella would a the future Queen (not Jacques the future King)

Monaco, like Japan and a few other monarchies, continues to practice male primogeniture. I personally do not have a problem with it nor do I find it strange.

It's their country, their tradition. I'm just relieved that the Principality finally has a legitimate Heir!;)

I'll be happy if P. Caroline and her children ( at least some of them - I doubt Andrea and Charlotte attend ) and P. Stephanie with her children ( at least Camille ) attend the ceremony... :ermm: :whistling: :ermm:

I'm quite sure the Grimaldis will attend in full force. The event is a historical one just like the wedding. I meant international royals from other families. But it seems highly unlikely!

I'm a little disappointed that there will be no royal godparents. I had guessed that one of Grace's relatives would be a godparent, so I'm not surprised that Chris LeVine has been chosen. I was hoping that Queen Maxima would be one of the godparents, as I've read that she and Charlene are meant to be quite close.
Oh well, I'm still looking forward to the christening, it will be lovely to see the twins again and see how much they've grown. :)

I think male primogeniture is a little old fashioned in these modern times, particularly as most of the other European monarchies now have female primogeniture. But maybe Albert is a traditionalist, as I haven't seen any reports about decisions or speculations to change the succession in Monaco, ever.

There are beautiful pictures on the Palace Facebook of the Cathedral and Palais Princier being readied for the baptism tomorrow. Lovely flowers.

I've seen the entrance to the Cathedral. It's decorated beautifully.

This is going to be a very grand, emotional event. I can't wait!:p

The flowers are stunning!

I don't think Prince Albert has felt comfortable giving one child an Order and the other nothing at all so Jacques will receive the Grand Cross and his sister one wrung below. I think if Gabriella had been born as a single child she wouldn't have received anything at all at her baptism just as Caroline didn't. I think it makes sense for the heir to receive something unique and they will both be adorable in their miniature insignia, Jaques in his little sash and his sister in her little neck badge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope we get to see the extended Princely family in attendance tomorrow and maybe a few invited royal guests,the Duke and Duchess of Castro seem to be quite close to Prince Albert II.

Doesn't a Grand Officer get elevated to Grand Cross after 5 years? Is it just for "civilians"?

No, it is in the Sovereign's pleasure to grant a decoration. It happens that someone is 'promoted' from a knight to a higher grade but usually this is not automatic. It happens more that the person receives the equivalent in the nearby higher grade. This scenario would mean that the twins are promoted to the highest Order which is the Saint-Charles.

The Order of Grimaldi is the third highest Order but 'the most logic' to give to the two.

1. The Order of Saint-Charles
To give public homage in connection with services or merits towards to the prinipality or to the person of the Prince

2. The Order of the Crown
To give public homage to exceptional and eminent merits

3. The Order of Grimaldi
To give public homage to persons which contribute to the prestige of the principality

The first Order is too premature, seing the description. The second Order is really for eminence and exceptional merits, think about sportsmen, scientists, artists, etc. That leaves the third Order. We can argue that the youngborn Marquis de Baux and the equally young Comtesse de Carladès (will) "contribute to the prestige of the principality" and are therefore (premature) recipients of this honour.

:flowers:

Last edited:
I imagine that eventually, perhaps when she reaches a milestone age like 18 or 21, the young Princess will be upgraded to Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Grimaldi. I'm also sure that both twins will become Knight and Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Charles in the course of time with Jacques , once again, receiving it in advance of his sister.

Another major milestone for PC today. So proud of her -- she's certainly come a long way. Can't wait to see how much the twins have grown! ??

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Double the Fun! Monaco Royal Twins' Baptism to Be Televised Live
Article

You can watch it live here

Last edited:
I imagine that eventually, perhaps when she reaches a milestone age like 18 or 21, the young Princess will be upgraded to Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Grimaldi. I'm also sure that both twins will become Knight and Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Charles in the course of time with Jacques , once again, receiving it in advance of his sister.

The Annuaire Princier does not mention any decoration behind Princess Stéphanie:

Le Prince
Le prince Albert II Alexandre Louis Pierre
Prince Souverain de Monaco, Duc de Valentinois, Marquis des Baux, Comte de Carladès, Baron du Buis, Baron de Calvinet, Seigneur de Saint-Rémy, Seigneur de Matignon, Comte de Torigni, Baron de Saint-Lô, Baron de la Luthumière, Baron de Hambye, Duc de Mazarin, Duc de Mayenne, Prince de Château-Porcien, Marquis de Guiscard, Marquis de Chilly, Comte de Longjumeau, Comte de Belfort, Comte de Ferrette, Comte de Thann, Comte de Rosemont, Baron d’Altkirch, Seigneur d’Issenheim
Grand-Croix de l'Ordre de Saint-Charles
Grand-Croix de l'Ordre de Grimaldi
Grand-Croix de l’Ordre de la Couronne

Épouse du Prince
La princesse Charlène Lynette
Princesse de Monaco née Wittstock

Fils du Prince *
Le prince Jacques Honoré Ranier
Prince Héréditaire de Monaco, Marquis des Baux

Fille du Prince *
La princesse Gabriella Thérèse Marie
Princesse de Monaco, Comtesse de Carladès
Grand Officier de l'Ordre de Grimaldi

Soeur du Prince
La princesse Caroline Louise Marguerite
Princesse de Hannovre née Princesse de Monaco

Soeur du Prince
La princesse Stéphanie Marie Elisabeth
Princesse de Monaco

Père du Prince
Le prince Louis Henri Maxence Bertrand
Prince Souverain de Monaco
Grand-Croix de l’Ordre de la Couronne

Mère du Prince
La princesse Gracia Patricia
Princesse de Monaco née Kelly

Grand-Père du Prince
Le prince Pierre Marie Xavier Raphaël Antoine Melchior
Prince de Moncao, Duc de Valentinois, Comte de Polignac

Grand-Mère du Prince
La princesse Charlotte Louise Juliette
Princesse de Monaco, Duchesse de Valentinois

Tante du Prince
La princesse Antoinette Louise Alberte Suzanne
Princesse de Monaco, Baronne de Massy

(* = my addition, the Annuaire Princier has not been updated yet)

:flowers:

Last edited:
I've decided I'm staying up for this. :flowers:

Me too. It will be 1:15 in the morning when the broadcast starts. We have waited for this so long, we just can't miss it! Enjoy...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Caroline with Alexandra and Pierre and Beatrice.
Stephanie with all of her children have arrived.

Princess caroline just arrived with her two sons and Princess Alexandra and Beatrice Borromeo
No Charlotte?

Im surprised Princess Stephanie and her daughters aren't wearing hats or are hats optional?

Last edited:
The Wittstock Family arrvies. But why do the all enter through an back entrance?

Princess caroline just arrived with her two sons and Princess Alexandra and Beatrice Borromeo
No Charlotte?

Im surprised Princess Stephanie and her daughters aren't wearing hats or are hats optional?

Princess Stephanie never wears hats. Also at the Wedding she didn't.

Everything looks very beautiful. :flowers: The flowers are lovely. Great day.

You can watch the christening in Germany via reuters live stream :flowers:

Quite a lot of people lining up on the streets, good to see.

Charlene looks absolutely lovely!

Any idea why they used the side entrance?

Charlene looks beautiful and Albert and Charlene look very happy. :D

Caroline, Charlene's mother and the godmothers are wearing stunning outfits but Charlene herself looks the most stunning of them all today. I knew she would look good at this event but even I'm taken aback by just how beautiful she looks.

I was just thinking it is lovely to see the Grimaldi family at the Cathedral to celebrate a happy occasion - so many images of funerals from previous years have stuck in my mind.
Some nice footage of the family arriving with proud parents both looking splendid ( Charlene particularly exquisite). Two gorgeous babies too.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom