Charles and Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christo's Girl said:
Diana also had a low self-esteem that she brought into that marriage. That must not have been easy.

i would agree with you! when Diana was younger and she never learn to right as Royals lesson to become Royals but her dad is Earl but she is 19 years old and she fell in love with Prince Charles of Wales when she was 16 years old and lots interest on him

Queen Mother said:
Actually I scan them from my books. :)

Here is the link to my other scans. Hope you enjoy.
http://img225.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=playwills9ff.jpg[/quote

Well , I may be a year too late, but have just found this link. Your collection is absolutely amazing!! Loved all the photos
of Diana.. She was so gorgeous ! I love the ones with her and Charles. It would appear that they did have something for a very short while.. < ed Warren > Thank you for these photos..
Regards
Kate:) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, looking back and seeing the wonderful photos of Charles and Diana happy, just makes me a little teary eyed. Oh, the thought of what could have been if the love was reciprocated. And seeing this pictures again makes me feel a little something for Charles; like he did try to be happy with her.

I thought that Charles and Diana made a very good team. He gave his speeches and she charmed the crowds. The people that used to come and see them, unbelievable. What was it one time in Japan, 500,000 on the streets of Tokyo?

Christo's Girl said:
I thought that Charles and Diana made a very good team. He gave his speeches and she charmed the crowds. The people that used to come and see them, unbelievable. What was it one time in Japan, 500,000 on the streets of Tokyo?

I think he gave rather good speeches. However , as it has come out, he was jealous of her effect on the crowds.. had he gotten over this, or looked at this situtation in a different way, they would have made the greatest team!! Diana saw that possibility...:) and then after the War of the Waleses(*) began, that was a leaverage she used with relish!
I believe they did have happy moments as some of these wonderful photos show us..

I think she loved the idea of being in love and at 19, diana needed and wanted to be cared for but sadly it didn't work out for her.May she rest in peace

Now when I see their engagement day interview and the reporter asks if they are in love and Diana first answers, "Of course!" and then Charles says, well , we know what he said.... Anyway, am I the only one who notices a slight sarcasm / jokiness / naughtiness in her voice as she says it? It doesn't sound as sincere as I would like, but maybe it just because of her inexperience with being interviewed,etc. I think Charles has taken so much heat for what he said (rightly so) but Diana's response was kind of awkward too. I do think they loved each other but more as friends.

I know a lot of men who choke up when you ask them if they love...even if they do. Now a lot of guys don't but I've seen enough of them that do that convince me it seems to be a guy thing. :)

OMG, these actors don't look AT ALL like the real persons. Even if the film is poor, they could have made an effort on that (I thought that "Camilla" was looking like Fergie). Thanks for posting :flowers:

TheTruth said:
OMG, these actors don't look AT ALL like the real persons. Even if the film is poor, they could have made an effort on that (I thought that "Camilla" was looking like Fergie). Thanks for posting :flowers:

I've seen part of this movie and was especially shocked by the actress who played Diana. The "Camilla"-character was okay because the way she behaved had some plausibility to it. But the actress who played Diana was bad, really bad. While she had a slight resemblance to the young Lady Diana, she had a very offending and ugly way to pout and sulk. Then there was a scene when they were engaged. Diana confronted Charles with her demand that he should get completely rid of Camilla. He refused declairing that Camilla is just a friend and then Diana really makes him a scene, starts crying etc. Whow, is this actress ugly at that moment...

But the movie is not really worth watching. IMHO.

I don't understand why they make a movie, we already had the real story with the real characters lol.

I saw this movie and I liked the actress who played Camilla. But the actress who played Diana was really bad.

Isn't this the same film we all discussed in the Charles and Camilla thread in 2005? It certainly looks and sounds like it! :lol:

Katemac63 said:
I think he gave rather good speeches. However , as it has come out, he was jealous of her effect on the crowds.. had he gotten over this, or looked at this situtation in a different way, they would have made the greatest team!! Diana saw that possibility...:) and then after the War of the Waleses(*) began, that was a leaverage she used with relish!
I believe they did have happy moments as some of these wonderful photos show us..

I agree! Had it been a true "love match" they could have worked togethor as a team and done great things. Instead it became a popularity contest between them. It seems quite petty to be jealousy of your spouse's popularity.

RubyPrincess168 said:
It seems quite petty to be jealousy of your spouse's popularity.
I think it had more to do with attention rather than popularity. As we know from this Forum [TRF], clothes and tiaras will generally outshine the more sedate and serious. This may be the way of the world (witness Paris Hilton), but for someone who believes they have something of significance to say it would be frustrating if attention is directed elsewhere and they felt "drowned out". The great tragedy is that in the early days of the marriage they had the world at their feet, and what they could have achieved together can only be imagined. The combination of Charles' ideas and Diana's allure could have formed the greatest 'sales team' on the planet, but it was not to be.

there was a discussion going on in one of the other threads about whether charles was looking for a "mother" figure in the women he chooses. i think he does look for that. i think that was what he first saw in diana and loved about her. however that alone won't keep a couple together and when he saw the whole package it was then that he realized it but a small piece of the puzzle. interesting also that someone mentioned in another thread that while charles wasn't so needy he was the one that found true love but where diana needed constant reassurance she was one that didn't find her soulmate. i thought this was a very interesting point.

I think I missed something.
Can you explain what the 'mother figure' was in the shy, unsecure and childish young lady who became befriended and later engaged to The Prince?

The 19-years old Lady Diana Spencer can be labelled in many ways, but a 'mother figure' is the less logic characteristic I would think about.

:flowers:

Well just prior to the engagement, we heard the stories about how she talked to charles about the death of his uncle lord mountbatten and showed him her caring and comforting side...much like a mother. i suppose this can be interpreted in any number of ways but to me it shows that she was trying to show that side of herself, putting her best face forward. another way, IMO is how she updated his look and style of dress again much like a mother. i think that inspite of her shyness, the "mothering" description is applicable. she was a nanny, then a preschool teacher, took a "mothering" role with her brother when they were children, was always drawn to children and the elderly during her public engagements and then of course with her own children.

I totally agrees. Charles was certainly touched by the Mountbatten thing and he can feel the sympathy from Diana. Diana is a caring person of course. I think Prince Charles always wants to be supported, nutured,reassured, understood, and sympathized. Charles thought Diana can be that person so he proposed to her despite some doubts. Camilla is a perfect comforter for Prince Charles and she certainly plays an important role in nuturing him.

I think Prince Charles always wants to be supported, nutured,reassured, understood, and sympathized.

I think both of them wanted to be supported, nutured, reassured, understood and sympathized.

I thought that Charles needed a lot of attention after his butler's book about how the royals never did anything for themselves and had everything taken care of for them. Also Charles tendencies to send his diary pages around to his friends for their review showed a keen desire to get on a soapbox for an admiring audience.

But I didn't realize how much both Diana and Charles needed handholding until I read Sally Bedows Smith's book and she recounted a conversation with Michael Colburne, Charles' private secretary. Because Colburne was the only servant of Charles that Diana trusted, he fell into the role of referee between the competing demands of Diana and Charles.

He described the last straw in a scene when Charles and Diana were in Canada in 1983. Charles went out to perform some duties one afternoon (I don't know why Diana wasn't with him but this time she wasn't) and Diana was apparently lonely and asked Colburne for company so Colburne apparently hurried up what he was doing for Charles to spend the afternoon with Diana. When Charles got back he called Colburne into his office and exploded at him for neglecting his needs. When Colburne left the office, he found Diana had eavesdropped on the whole conversation. Charles later apologized to Colburne for his outburst but at that point Colburne said he could not continue with the Wales any more.

I think being a servant in that household at that time which both Charles and Diana were throwing competing demands had to have been the job from hell. Both Charles and Diana begged him to stay and he stayed until Harry was born but Smith's book infers that his departure spelled a turning point for the marriage because his absence deprived them of a buffer between the two of them.

He described the last straw in a scene when Charles and Diana were in Canada in 1983.
I think it's also written in Sarah Bradford's book. Charles during this row, expressed his jealousy over Diana and the interest public give her. Of course she heard it and felt terribly sad. Since that day, Diana realized that the public was her first and more powerful weapon to fight against Charles in the later years.

I think it's also written in Sarah Bradford's book. Charles during this row, expressed his jealousy over Diana and the interest public give her. Of course she heard it and felt terribly sad. Since that day, Diana realized that the public was her first and more powerful weapon to fight against Charles in the later years.

Hello TheTruth, that may have been how Bradford interpreted the incident but that doesn't seem to be Smith's interpretation.

At the point in Charles' and Diana's marriage when this incident took place 1983-1984 Smith mentioned that Charles had not yet shown a resentment of Diana's popularity.

But apparently by 1983, Charles was showing a resentment of the amount of time that Diana was taking up with his private secretary because he was used to Colburne devoting his full attention to him.

I am at the point at the book where it talks about Diana beginning to take revenge on Charles in public but that appears to have happened much later - in 1990 with the publication of Morton's first book.

So I don't think their jealousies of each others competing needs with the servants were related to their jealousies of their image in the public. I do think it shows both of their need for attention from those cloest to them though.

Last edited:
Sorry ysbel, I should have explained. The comment of Diana and the public was my own point of view, not Bradford's. It's just what I think happened after realizing the anger it provoked on Charles.:flowers:

I can understand Charles' resentment towards Diana's popularity its a blow to the male ego. Some men alllow and even like it when their wives take center stage and are in control while some men just hate it.

I am at the point at the book where it talks about Diana beginning to take revenge on Charles in public...

i wasn't aware of her doing this...can you give me an example. it might refresh my memory.:flowers:

Hi Duchess I haven't read through the entire chapter yet but here is what I read so far.

It was about the time Diana participated with the Andrew Morton book - the most famous example was her solo photo shoot at the Taj Mahal during the trip to India. The press had known that Charles had said before he married that he wanted to take his wife one day to the Taj Majal and so when she made the pose described by one as 'wistful lonliness; the press jumped on the comparisons between Charles' earlier statement and Diana's forlorn look on the steps of the Taj Mahal.

However, I think the state of their marriage at that point really made a joint romantic visit to the Taj Majal by the two of them somewhat impossible so the general consensus is that Diana wanted to show Charles up in that photo op.

But apparently she used events before that to upstage Charles, Andrew Neil of the Sunday Times said that if Charles was meeting an African leader, Diana would plan to be at a big ball and wipe him off the headlines. He also said that Diana manipulated publicity to create the impression that she was an affectionate mother and Charles a cold distant father. When William was hit in the head with a golf ball, apparently the couple were met by the doctor who assured them that there was no danger and it was a simple operation. They agreed that Charles would go to his engagement and Diana would stay with William. The morning after the surgery a friend called Diana who treated the accident as trivial which according to the surgeon it was but when Diana later told the story to several others, she said the fracture was very serious and a narrow escape and she couldn't respect a man like Charles who would leave his son like that.

The most direct example of her involvement with the press in an agenda against Charles was an article in the Daily Mail by Emma Wilkins entitled Happy Birthday Darling, I can't come to the party, in 1991 about Diana's 30th birthday without Charles. Diana apparently leaked the fact that she was spending her 30th birthday apart from Charles to David English, the editor of the Daily Mail This report started a volley of articles about Charles' intentions to throw Diana a grand party with people she wanted with Diana countering that only his stuffy old friends were on the guest list and she didn't want to go. Then followed predictable comparisons between Diana's relationship with James Hewitt and Charles' relationship with Camilla etc. etc.

Eighteen months after the initial storm surrounding the article, Lord MacGregor, the head of the Press Complaints Commission the government agency in charge of handling press complaints, said that he was told that both the Prince and the Princess were the source of these conflicting stories but upon investigation he didn't find any evidence that Charles supplied any of the information and that the only royal source he could find for any of the information was Diana. Since his job was to supervise complaints and he didn't seem to have an agenda, his word was considered reliable.

But I emphasize that this happened rather late in the game in their marriage and a long time after the argument over who Colburne should serve first.

The book mentions other incidents but I don't think they are as clear cut. The time when he went to kiss her after the polo match and she turned her head so he couldn't kiss her was seen as a 'cold Charles' moment but I don't necessarily think she meant to upstage Charles at that point. And then the trip to Korea where she seemed to want to be anywhere but with Charles could I think just be a normal reaction to the state of things although a lot of press was made about it at the time.

No doubt Buckingham Palace would have preferred that both of them go on with the show, no matter what they were feeling inside but I don't think these last two incidents necessarily prove Diana trying to show Charles up. But its hard to argue that the photo of the Taj Mahal wasn't a direct sendup of Charles.

Last edited:
Sorry ysbel, I should have explained. The comment of Diana and the public was my own point of view, not Bradford's. It's just what I think happened after realizing the anger it provoked on Charles.:flowers:

That's OK. Thanks for explaining, TheTruth. :)

I just think if Diana got her idea to upstage Charles from this incident with Colburne, she waited an awful long time (over 6 years) to carry it out.

How would Andrew Neil know that Diana and Charles agreed for Charles to leave William's bedside after an operation? As I recall he attended an Opera. I must say from any mother's perspective and certainly Dianas, as she always wanted Charles around, it seems odd to me that she would have agreed to Charles attending such an engagement after what had happened. I honestly think she would have wanted Charles with her and William.

Lily

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom