Books about historical Kings & Queens of England

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronald biver

Nobility
City
Melbourne
Country
Australia
Years ago I bought 2 historical books with a variety of black & white & colour photographs and of course the dark histories of European & English Royals, past & present. The titles of those 2 books are 1 "Dark History of the Kings & Queens of Europe" (from medieval tyrants to mad monarchs) & 2 " Dark History of the Kings & Queens of England (1066 to the present day), both books by Brenda Ralph Lewis. Its worth having it & reading it, I read both of them and I didn't know that a few of the royals & nobilities were bad & evil through the centuries, it is for me an eye opener.

David Mitchell (comedian and historian (graduated from Cambridge with a 2:2)) wrote a book called 'Unruly: The Ridiculous History of England's King and Queens' or 'Unruly: A History of England's King and Queens' - both titles seem to be used. It was published earlier this month. In the videos below he discusses the book (and England's kings and queens). The first interview is by a fellow-historian (so lots of inside jokes); the second is by a non-historian and therefore probably more informative for non-history buffs.

I highly recommend listening at least to the final 3 minutes of the second interview. Imho David Mitchell describres the value of a constitutional monarchy very well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom