Augusta Sophia, Princess of the United Kingdom (1768–1840)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konrad der Rote

Commoner
City
Torgau
Country
Germany
Dear members of this forum.

I have a question for the experts on the British royal family from the Hanover Dynasty era. Is it known if Princess Augusta Sophia, daughter of King George III, ever went to Germany? In the parish register of the Church of St. Jacobi and Georgii in Hanover I found a baptismal entry in 1822, where she appears as the first godmother (Augusta Sophia, Prinzessin von Großbritannien).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a detailed biography of this princess that specifically describes her late life. Maybe one of you knows this lady better.

Attachments

• Hannover St. Jacobi-&-Georgii 1822.jpg
    Hannover St. Jacobi-&-Georgii 1822.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 33
It can go either way, if this record is simply a recording of a baby's godparents, she may not have been present at the baptism because godparents are not always present. On the other hand, her father was King of Hanover, and while George III did not travel to Hanover, some of his sons studied in Germany and were appointed to positions in Hanover and also married German princesses, so it is not unbelievable that she traveled to Germany.

I would see if there is biographical information of the person to whom she was godparent to see if there is information about the baptism and if she was present in person or there was a proxy standing in.

If I had to guess, I would say that she traveled to Hanover and other parts of Germany, but she may not have been present at the baptism especially since babies tend to be baptized within a few weeks of birth and traveling to another country is not an easy transaction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom