Monarchy and Restoration; Rival Families and Claimants

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if the Russians really want the Monarchy back it's not the best solution for every country, that's how i view it. What can work in one country doesn't mean it's gonna work in another. Just see what is happening in the ME at the time being, people are questioning their monarchs that's gonna affect other countries too sooner or later. :-(

...Harold of England's daughter, Gytha of Wessex, married a Russian Prince (of Kiev, I believe, I'm spacing on who it was - but I've got the notes somewhere).
Harold's daughter Gytha married Vladimir II Monomakh, Grand Prince of Kiev.

The chances for restoration, in my opinion, are almost none. There is little support in Russia for the monarchy and many people are hostile to the idea of the Romanovs returning to assume the throne.

There is no constitutional tradition in Russia and the country remains an authoritarian state with little rule of law. Restoring the monarchy isn't going to help democracy there.

Thank you, Warren. It's terrible I remembered Gytha's name and not Vladimir II Monomakh!

I agree the chances for restoration (or any traditional kind of monarchy) are zero.

Putin, as I understand it, has two daughters, so not a good candidate for Neo-Tsar. His paternal grandfather was of the occupational type who might have been raised to boyar under the old system (he was a cook for Lenin and Stalin).

His two daughters were apparently raised speaking German (and Putin's own family apparently spoke German while he was growing up), which is interesting. There are web-rumors (far-fetched) that he is of the princes of Tsver, through illegitimate sons. Supposedly, people with newish surnames (like Putin, which is not a traditional Russian surname - and that part I believe is true) are often illegitimate children of nobility. It's easier for me to believe that Putin is one of the made up names of the Russian revolution.

The very convoluted story is here:

The Mysterious Genealogy of Russian President Putin - English pravda.ru

Anyway, most rulers of other lands would give anything to have Putin's approval ratings (Lavada Center data).

While I'm posting, I'm curious to know if Vladimir II Monomakh's crown still exists and is it in the possession of any Russian collection open to the public?

Attachments

• Russia Monomakh's Cap (C14th, Kremlin).jpg
    Russia Monomakh's Cap (C14th, Kremlin).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 312
Beautiful, thank you. I hope to make it to Moscow one day and see it for myself.

I, assume, it is sable. Bit I could be wrong. My mother had a sable coat. The fur lloked very similar. It still exists, today. The coat and my mother, she is 96.

Oh that is breath taking Warren! What fur is that around the cap by chance? And were there matching robe or robe like garments once upon a time?

I, assume, it is sable. Bit I could be wrong. My mother had a sable coat. The fur lloked very similar. It still exists, today. The coat and my mother, she is 96.

Russo my dear,

The Countess is correct -- it is sable fur trimming the crown. From what I have been able to research, it appears the fur was for comfort since it is attached to the portion of the crown which would rest against the wearer's head. So I am not sure that there would be matching sable robes but perhaps the robes would also be trimmed with sable.

Congrats to your mother, Countess, for being such a stylish 96 year old.

I've found some polls regarding the restoration of monarchy in Russia and the list
of supposed candidates,it was nearly a month ago(on Russian sites)
The first poll regards restoration.12 people in this poll want monarchy back,28 don't want it back and the last 8 are either indifferent or not decided
Îòâåòû@Mail.Ru: Îïðîñ: Õîòåëè áû âû âîññòàíîâèòü ìîíàðõèþ â Ðîññèè?
Here is the poll regarding the candidates to the Russian throne(Great Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son,the great dukes Nicolai or Dmitrii Romanov,Prince Michael of Kent,Prince Aimone of Savoy,the others).In this poll participate 78 people and as we can see Prince Michael is the most popular and well-known candidate(28 votes) and the least popular are Maria Vladimirovna and Great Duke Georgii.
Poll
ru_royalty:
The Russian people are generally a little angry as they want to choose themselves supposed candidate.I think the Great Duke Georgii in order to gain more popularity should be present at more charitable events ,so that people could know better his human,and not official side.
At last I want to present another candidate,Georgii Yurievskii,knyaz and descendant of Alexander II and his mistress knyajna Dolgorukaya.
http://i022.radikal.ru/1103/96/6663fae490bc.jpg

I find it amazing that Russians view Prince Michael of Kent more favourably than Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son. Prince Aimone of Savoi is an acceptable candidate as well.
As for Knyaz Georgii Yurievskii, I wonder who granted him a title. Does he belong the Dolgorukys, the founders of the Moscow city.

he does look like nicolhas the 2nd proably one of the reason other is he charties alot in russia and added to that he also brings alot of bussniess their way proably reason for it

I've found some polls regarding the restoration of monarchy in Russia and the list
of supposed candidates,it was nearly a month ago(on Russian sites)
The first poll regards restoration.12 people in this poll want monarchy back,28 don't want it back and the last 8 are either indifferent or not decided
Îòâåòû@Mail.Ru: Îïðîñ: Õîòåëè áû âû âîññòàíîâèòü ìîíàðõèþ â Ðîññèè?
Here is the poll regarding the candidates to the Russian throne(Great Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son,the great dukes Nicolai or Dmitrii Romanov,Prince Michael of Kent,Prince Aimone of Savoy,the others).In this poll participate 78 people and as we can see Prince Michael is the most popular and well-known candidate(28 votes) and the least popular are Maria Vladimirovna and Great Duke Georgii.
Poll
ru_royalty:
The Russian people are generally a little angry as they want to choose themselves supposed candidate.I think the Great Duke Georgii in order to gain more popularity should be present at more charitable events ,so that people could know better his human,and not official side.
At last I want to present another candidate,Georgii Yurievskii,knyaz and descendant of Alexander II and his mistress knyajna Dolgorukaya.
http://i022.radikal.ru/1103/96/6663fae490bc.jpg

It does not appear 'right ins' were permitted. A bit bias, don't you think?

The descendants of Princess Katia Dolgoruky have no rights to the Throne.

Russian Pretenders

I find it amazing that Russians view Prince Michael of Kent more favourably than Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son. Prince Aimone of Savoi is an acceptable candidate as well.
As for Knyaz Georgii Yurievskii, I wonder who granted him a title. Does he belong the Dolgorukys, the founders of the Moscow city.

Why do you find this amazing?

Former Kremlin diplomat calls for Prince Harry to take vacant throne | Mail Online
Tsar Harry! Russians who want British prince to take vacant throne (just don't mention the Romanovs)

Wanted: A Russian journalist - and former diplomat - believes that Prince Harry should sit on his country's throne

Some two billion people across the world may have been watching the Royal Wedding on Friday between Prince William and Kate Middleton.
And it seem some Russians were watching their televisions, green with envy - because now a leading former diplomat believes that Prince Harry - the third in line to by British monarch - should be offered the vacant throne.
Alexander Baunov - a diplomat-turned-journalist - thinks that William's 26-year-old brother should be crowned the first king of Russian since Tsar Nicholas II reined in 1917 on the eve of the Bolshevik Revolution.
'Let him receive parades, make visits, give dinners and offer New

Read more: Former Kremlin diplomat calls for Prince Harry to take vacant throne | Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You very much for the information written on mail!There were some talks about Harry,but not as much as it supposed.The situation is that Harry is young,clever and good military officer in the eyes of Russian society and he resembles so much to the image of "Russian boy".There were many talks on the candidates,many like as well Prince Michael of Kent,but he is far more aged than Harry.I do say ,as I've mentioned in previous posts,the least popular seems to be the Grand Duke Georgii,the Russian people wondered why he was not invited to the Royal wedding(I mean the people on Russian royal forums).But that's not a gap,Georgii just needs to involve more in humanitarian and charity activities.
Besides all,I've found a funny idea that Harry should marry a Romanov girl in order to ascend to the Russian throne.Anyway the people are very far from royal projects

Last edited by a moderator:
he wasnt for the same reason his mothers invites in the 1990s got ignored for the reburail of nicolias ii before she changed her mind about the remains by the majorioty of the ruleing houses of europe save the spanish

Last edited:
Some of the English is diificult to intrepret, but the Russians need Prince Harry(Henry) like a thorn in their sides. Plus, I doubt, if he would ever consent to live there. 39% is a very low number. They need democracy, not some old nonsense.

I found both Daily Mail article and interview nonsensical. The whole "Prince Harry could be the next Tsar" rides on a wave of cheap glitz and glamour of Prince William's wedding. If the restoration were to happen, there would be battle royal among current pretenders. At the same time, Mr. Baunov and Ms. Nemtsova pointed out the usual points about the Romanovs: 1) they lack unity among them; and 2) they do not appeal to a significant majority of Russians.

Why do you find this amazing?
I expected Russians to warm up to Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna. She has been recognised as the Head of the Romanovs by the Russian Orthodox Church and government. However, it appears that Russians are totally indifferent to her or her son.

Last edited:
I found both Daily Mail article and interview nonsensical. The whole "Prince Harry could be the next Tsar" rides on a wave of cheap glitz and glamour of Prince William's wedding...
Well said, Al_bina!:flowers:
I do absolutely agree with you.

Only Grand Duke George could be a future Tsar.

On April, 28 this year the quite popular (in the Russian Internet) magazine "Slon" (“Elephant”) conducts online survey (a poll)
О Ñ�вадьбе принца УильÑ�ма и необходимоÑ�ти монархии в Ð*оÑ�Ñ�ии - Ð�лекÑ�андр Баунов - Блоггеры - Slon.ru

What do you think: Russia is needing in:

Constitutional monarchy 1294 (39.43%)
Democratic Republic 756 (23.3%)
War Communism (Stalinism) 427 (13.01%)
Primitive communal system (anarchy) 389 (11.85%)
Absolute monarchy 278 (8.47%)
"Orthodox Caliphate" (theocracy of Ortodox+Muslim) 136 (4.14%)
Of course, this poll is not very valid: although today it was attended by 2,586 people, but «Slon»'s readers unlikely are a representative sample of all segments of the population of Russia. They are probably mostly upper middle class, wealthy people. Well, from this point of view, the results are interesting anyhow.

Five years ago (in 2006), the same survey (a poll) conducted a popular newspaper «Vedomosti»: 22% of the readers voted for the monarchy . Professional poll (All-Russian Center for Public Opinion Research) in 2008 showed that 19% of Russians would like to restore the monarchy in Russia. Since then, professional polls were not conducted. I think that now much more than 19% want the restoration of the monarchy in Russia.

Last edited:
The russians know Grand Duchess Maria and Grand Duke George?

Yes, Russians are aware of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and her son.

Which is the way the russian newspapers speak about Grand Duke George?

Although Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna and Grand Duke Georgii are accepted by the Russian Orthodox Church and government, the public opinion about them is either lukewarm or absolutely indifferent. You can check the thread devoted Grand Duke to find some articles about him.

Back
Top Bottom