Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna: June 2008-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, either way, he looks like he would be a lot more attractive if he lost some more weight.

No disputing that!
Especially if he is to have any chance of snatching up an equal bride (which seems extremely unlikely).

Yeah. In this photo: Google Image Result for http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50236_6712692095_668933_n.jpg
he looks attractive, but he must be feeling nervous about something. I wonder how he feels about the whole thing.

Right now he looks like The Penguin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Batman_returns_ver5.jpg and he really needs to lose weight if he's going to end up attracting a bride. He can't just have one shipped in at the snap of his fingers. I wonder if his mother has someone in mind.

Last edited:
I admire her devotion to her heritage and her involvement in Russia, but she simply cannot suggest that if Russians want a restoration, that it would have to be her only and then her son. There are older names and lineage out there than just Romanov and it looks and sometimes sounds like her dedication is coming at a price, not a deep down appreciation.

The others stay away seemingly because they want to come back when welcomed and with open arms, not about ambition. At the moment I think she's being very foolhardy in dealing with Putin at all. The man is ex-KGB and his predecessors merriily butchered her family members. Putin is not Yeltsin who was supposedly interested in a restoration. Putin is a lot more ruthless, a lot more sadistic, and not someone I would want to be in a position of owing anything to.

I just hope for the sake of honor that she isn't making any back alley deals with Putin and Medvedev for this, but is actually being genuinely embraced by the Russian people.

Because people who are solidly built or overweight never find people to love or be loved in return?

Apart from being utter nonsense, it's such a pathetic thing to suggest.

The man is solid, it's evident to see, but to compare him to such a character is incredibly juvenile and rather malicious. The same goes for what was said about his mother.

That said...

It was great seeing the Grand Duchess in Monaco. She certainly loves her bold colours.

Last edited:
Just seeing her in that draped flowery outfit and slide on heels, she looks like a woman who should be in a Florida retirement home. As for Umbridge, she definately looks like the cartoon sketch and should have been casted instead of Emma Thompson.

Her son looks like a mafioso boss in training. I wonder if he frequently feels smothered by having to live with his mother all the time.
:lol: Funny observation, my dear AristoCat! We all have our flaws and should dress to flatter or play up our good features and hide or conceal our negative or less attractive features. But if the Grand Duchess loves florals and bright colors, C'est la vie.

Not that it matters, but Emma Thompson did not portray Dolores Umbridge. Imelda Stauton took that role; Thompson plays the wacky professor who is a seeress (the name escapes me at the moment).

HEY, MY 900th POST! One thousand, here I come!

Thanks for the correction :) I don't speak 'pop culture' really well, so I don't know all that many actors/actresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
He struck me as 'unhappy' when I looked at the picture. I'd imagine it's not pleasant being thirty years old and having to adhere to one's parent's every whim and command.

He struck me as 'unhappy' when I looked at the picture. I'd imagine it's not pleasant being thirty years old and having to adhere to one's parent's every whim and command.
What is his relation with his father?

:previous: I'll second Al_bina's statement. The only thing I know is that his father is a Hohenzolern (hopefully I spelt that right, forgive me if not), and that him and Maria Vladimirovna are divorced. Don't know if Georgiy has any communication/relationship with his father.

I suppose Maria is paranoid about her son meeting someone highly unsuitable and then marrying her and wrecking her dynastic hopes. I once joked on another forum that Georgi has likely grown up, being smothered by his mother and grandmother and getting his cheeks pinched while constantly being stuffed with cakes and tea in a pink parlor.

I wonder, if like Umbridge, Maria has sadistic little kitties winding themselves around his legs.

Poor young man. Not because he accompanied his mother to the wedding. That would be normal in many families. Not because her outfit was terrible for a woman her size, but what difference does it make whom he marries, as long as he is happy. This make believe throne, should not allow them to treat him like some over stuffed pawn. He is young. He should be having fun.

He's very valuable to his mother and being groomed as the future Head of the House of Romanov is the only thing he has ever known. He could be out having fun, but there are so many golddiggers and social climbers that are vociferous/ruthlessly ambitious and he has to be protected from that. There's nothing wrong with it. I know all about wanting to be happy, but like a lot of men at a high stature, he has to be responsible about his choices. Like any man, he has to choose someone who will be a good wife and mother to his kids.

Not that it matters, but Emma Thompson did not portray Dolores Umbridge. Imelda Stauton took that role; Thompson plays the wacky professor who is a seeress (the name escapes me at the moment).
Sibyl Trawlawney. I know I spelt that incorrectly!

I rather thought Maria looked exceedingly formidible at the Monaco festivities. And in some interviews I have seen of her. I rather fancy her as a modern day Tsarina.

Congrats VM! :flowers:

She is likely a seasoned fighter when it comes to things and becoming formidable is a natural result I'm sure.

She is likely a seasoned fighter when it comes to things and becoming formidable is a natural result I'm sure.
That's not a bad quality to be a fighter,but she should start to pay more attention to Russian charity organizations in order to gain more more popularity and touch peoples' hearts,otherwise she will remain unknown and obviously foreign to many of Russians.

That's not a bad quality to be a fighter,but she should start to pay more attention to Russian charity organizations in order to gain more more popularity and touch peoples' hearts,otherwise she will remain unknown and obviously foreign to many of Russians.

She looks more like a Summo Wrestler. She dresses poorly, is very large and has the poor young man tethered to her arm. She has a grat and inflated image of her standing in this world.

She does need to stop campaigning all the time and stop toadying with Putin and Medvedev. As for her son, she is in desperate need to let him live his own life and not under the pressure of carrying on the family feud with the rest of the Romanovs. Less time with Putin and more time with the people. She will do so much more and her son has to be out there too, with Russia and ensuring that he is known to them.

She looks more like a Summo Wrestler...is very large...
Hmm...insults about weight are cheap shots. Queen Victoria in later life was supposedly as wide as she was tall.

It is not that she is heavy, people are what they are. She dresses poorly for her size and has an overinflated opinion, IMHO, of herself and her son. She seems to drag the poor fellow around. Let him find a nice girl, get married, if he wants to and have a life. As for Victoria, she never wore purple, flowered dressed on her tiny, but portly frame.

From what I can tell, the rest of the Imperial Family is sick of her views that they are not too, legitimate Romanovs and have just as much of a claim. Considering Vladmir's backstabbing and his wife's scheming to have the Empress Alexandra 'annihilated,' I would have to state that it's all sick. It's one big family schism and she has no business stating that she is the sole legitimate Romanov. She isn't. Prince Nicholas and the rest of the Romanovs support Prince Rotislav who is a more direct descendant of Nicholas II than Maria. Doesn't she get that alienating the rest of the Imperial Family isn't in her best interests?

Maria is the sole remaining dynast under the Pauline Laws as the only child of Grand Duke Vladimir, who was the last male dynast of the Vladimirovichi line. The other surviving male lines are extinct due to morganatic or unapproved marriages.

Maria has never said her relatives are not Romanovs. What she has said is they are not dynasts under the Pauline Laws and she is correct.

The throne would not pass through Grand Duchess Xenia (Rotsilav is her descendant) as her cousin, Grand Duke Cyril, was next in-line after the death of Nicholas II, his son and her brother, Michael.

When you think about it, this whole situation is actually kind of hilarious. On one hand, we have a huge family of people who rally around one contender, while on the other hand, we have a portly, pretentious woman who uses way too much makeup and has no clue on how to dress who domineers her son (who at age thirty and has a job is still socially under her full control, lest he meet someone Maria views as not good enough) and looks like The Penguin comic book character.

Maria has never said her relatives are not Romanovs. What she has said is they are not dynasts under the Pauline Laws and she is correct.

I am looking for the exact quote and article link, but Maria V most certainly made the outrageous claim that the "only three Romanovs" were there in the room, meaning herself, her mother, and her son, during the course of an interview.

When you think about it, this whole situation is actually kind of hilarious. On one hand, we have a huge family of people who rally around one contender, while on the other hand, we have a portly, pretentious woman who uses way too much makeup and has no clue on how to dress who domineers her son (who at age thirty and has a job is still socially under her full control, lest he meet someone Maria views as not good enough) and looks like The Penguin comic book character.
Hilarious or not, the woman IS quite formidible.

Back
Top Bottom