Prince Gustav of Berleburg, Current Events 1: May 2003 - November 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In January/feb...this year...Amber Petty was in a magazine over here, discussing being a bridesmaid at Mary's wedding etc. She appears to enjoy the media attention she receives from being Marys good friend.
I think shes a budding MTV reporter or something...so its all probably good exposure.

Recently I read how she had made reference to being invited to travel by a man she met at the reception, she also made reference to the fact that she had been seated next to two well-to-do men...so it seems she doesnt have Mary's 'quiet' demenour where she holds her tongue on her private life!

Its hard to say really..but just from comments I have read from what shes supposed to have said..and also pics I have seen of her, shes a totally different kind of girl to Mary.

Who really knows of course, as the media love a good story so how much is true and how much is speculation is difficult to say. I am sure given any opportunities though, Amber will make the most of them!

Has anyone heard anything pertaining to Prince Gustav lately? He is very private individual. Is he reported on at all in the German Press? Is he still working at his family's estate or has he returned to London? Also, if anyone have any pictures, please post.

Thanx

1. Prince Gustav zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
2. Prince Gustav with his mother, sisters, and brother-in-law
3. with ex-fiancee Elvire
4. Elvire's engagment ring
5. Prince Gustav
6. with ex-fiancee Elvire
7. with ex-fiancee Elvire

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00103414.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00103414.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 472
  • pre-SEEGER00095513.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00095513.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 434
  • pre-SEEGER00038808.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00038808.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 501
  • pre-SEEGER00038796.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00038796.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 499
  • pre-SEEGER00038870.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00038870.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 369
  • pre-SEEGER00038795.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00038795.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 888
  • pre-SEEGER00038790.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00038790.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 472
Interesting photos, mybags. Were these from his 2000 engagement?

The first photo is from 2003 (not sure which event)
The second photo is from the 2003 wedding of Prince Donatus von Hessen
The third photo is an unknown 2000 event
The last four photos are from the engagement.

That is one very large diamond! Does anyone know why they called their engagement off?

According to the Queen Victoria's Descendants Companion Volume, Elvire's father wanted a contract that would provide for Elvire in the event of a divorce. Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard refused Elvire's father's request. Gustav and Elvire parted as good friends.

It was posted today that Prince Gustav is now the owner of Schloss Berleburg. It also states that his grandfather's will states that he would lose everything if he marries beneath his station. This was published in the Danish Magazine/Newspaper Se Og Hor. Is he challenging this? That is horrible.

mybags said:
According to the Queen Victoria's Descendants Companion Volume, Elvire's father wanted a contract that would provide for Elvire in the event of a divorce. Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard refused Elvire's father's request. Gustav and Elvire parted as good friends.
Thanks for the info. So basically, she wanted alimony?

michelleq said:
It was posted today that Prince Gustav is now the owner of Schloss Berleburg. It also states that his grandfather's will states that he would lose everything if he marries beneath his station. This was published in the Danish Magazine/Newspaper Se Og Hor. Is he challenging this? That is horrible.

If he marries beneath his station. Are they serious? That is horrible. What happens if he doesn't marry at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Gustav seeing anyone now or do you all think he will remain the consumate bachelor?

I think it should be remembered that the grandfather's will was written decades before Gustav was born, being as his grandfather (Prince Richard's father) went MIA during WW II, when his own children were very small. He wasn't declared legally dead until the late 60's, so the will was probably written in the early 40's at the latest, a time when clauses about marriage to equals was probably standard. Not so much anymore. I doubt something like that would hold up today.

Has anyone actually read (other than the yellow journalistic newspapers) that Prince Gustav can't marry beneath his station? Has this been held to anyone else recently?

Has Prince Gustav appealed his case to inherit no matter who he marries to the German Courts yet? Has any other German Prince done the same and won?

Billed bladet article

Hope this is ok.
He is my favorite royal.:p

Prince Gustav about love: I have burnt my (fingers)
That love can hurt, and not least when it stops,is something Gustav knows all about.He was in love with the beautyfull,french Elvire de Rochefort, but after 11 month they broke up. The proposal took place at Graasten castle, where Queen Ingrid met and accepted the girl,but it wasn't enouh. The feelings between the couple cooled down, maybe because of the many financial discussions between the familys.

The pain,the brake caused, is still in the now 36 year old prins Gustav.

-I won't do the same mistake again.I have learnt from my experiences.

-Word is You already have a new girlfriend?

-Yes, so they say, and it is a posibility.But who knows, if it's the right one? If it ends with a wedding? I don't know myself, I have no clue to if it's her i'm going to marry.

-If You get engaged, hopefully you will let us know?

-I won't do it the same way as the last time, that i have disided. Then there was a pressrelease and a pressconference.Next time will be different. Maybe you will just be told that there is a party in Berleburg, and then it's a wedding!

Gustav is such a private person. Does anyone know anything about him? In terms of where he went to school? what he studied? his languages? his hobbies? I know he worked in London before returning to Germany to help run the family estate while Prince Richard was ill, but does anyone know what kind of work he did while in London?

I just found this thread..what a tragic love (can you call it love) story. You are supposed to get married but you call it off because you can't come up with a reasonable financial arrangement in case of divorce?! Thats pretty sad...I am a believer of a pre nup and love--if its possible to believe in both :) But it sounds like her Elvrie's father did him a favor?!

Maybe the grandfather wasn't so daft after all ??

If Gustav meets the real love, his true soul mate, she wouldn't be running away just because of some silly old-fashioned prenuptional agreements.

She would stick by him until the will was tested in a higher court, instead of running away as soon as she discovered she couldn't have the castle as fast as she had the diamonds ;)

And I think Gustav knows this.

btw; I read somewhere else on the Internet that Frederik set up a meeting between Mary and Gustav. They were supposed to have dinner together the three of them, but Frederik was late on purpose. The official version being that Frederik wanted Mary and Gustav to get aquainted, if you ask me I think these two guys help each other ''test'' the girls. Just my opinion.

Gustav confirms relation!

To a young woman with first name "Carina". Does anybody know her full name? There must be an article in "Billed Bladet".
His former fiancee Elvire is married in the meantime to another guy.

Stefanie said:
To a young woman with first name "Carina". Does anybody know her full name? There must be an article in "Billed Bladet".
His former fiancee Elvire is married in the meantime to another guy.

Yep her full name is Carina Axelsson and she is ½ Swedish and ½ Mexican.
She looks like being a nice lady and acording the newsmagazin Billedebladet she and Prince Gustav are going to be engaged in the present time...BUT ther is a snag to the love betwen the 2 of them...Acording to Prince Gustavs grandfarthers will Prince Gustav will loos everything if he and Carina are going to marry eatchother because she is not: (her the stupid thing come)
out of a nobel family,not an caucasian and she is not christian like Prince Gustav is...I have read that Prince Richard and Prince Gustav are having the will from Prince Gustavs grandfarther in court because they think it is unfair that Prince Gustav are going to follow the will if he want to marry a girl.

Good job for Gustav, fighting for his right to marry the person he loves, although I though Prince Gustav's grandfather was dead?

Edit: Oops, his grandfather's will. Well, regardless, I think it's wonderful that the Hereditary Prince and his father are contesting it so that he can marry who he wants.

Last edited:
morhange said:
Good job for Gustav, fighting for his right to marry the person he loves, although I though Prince Gustav's grandfather was dead?

Edit: Oops, his grandfather's will. Well, regardless, I think it's wonderful that the Hereditary Prince and his father are contesting it so that he can marry who he wants.

Acording to this weeks Billedebladet Prince Gustav is having a really really good chance to get his grandfarther will invalidate by the suprimecourt in Germany.
Prince Gustavs grandfarther made his will before the beginning of WW2 and acording to another case by a living relative to the last emperor of Germany it says that "the will is not relevant because it was made in the 1930´s and ther is a huge contrast with the way they was living and nowe in 2006)
I think that Prince Gustav are going to be engaged with Carina.:)

H.M. Margrethe said:
Acording to Prince Gustavs grandfarthers will Prince Gustav will loos everything if he and Carina are going to marry eatchother because she is not: (her the stupid thing come)
out of a nobel family,not an caucasian and she is not christian like Prince Gustav is...I have read that Prince Richard and Prince Gustav are having the will from Prince Gustavs grandfarther in court because they think it is unfair that Prince Gustav are going to follow the will if he want to marry a girl.

Did his previous fiance Elvire meet these qualifications? And does one have to meet them all or will say fulfilling one of the qualifications do?

And did the qualifications extend to Gustav's sisters or only to Gustav since he will inherit the Berleberg estate or whatever? His sister Alexandra married a nobleman, so it's hard to tell if the qualifications of the will extended to her, too.

And how long might contesting the will take?

Alexandria said:
Did his previous fiance Elvire meet these qualifications? And does one have to meet them all or will say fulfilling one of the qualifications do?

And did the qualifications extend to Gustav's sisters or only to Gustav since he will inherit the Berleberg estate or whatever? His sister Alexandra married a nobleman, so it's hard to tell if the qualifications of the will extended to her, too.

And how long might contesting the will take?

Well i gues that Elvire was approvede because she is from the white race and because she was having the rigth faith ( i don´t know if she was nobel before she marriede the other man)
I think that the demands is/was for Prince Gustav because he is the heir to the Berleburg estate. His sisters are not going to inherit the estate because they are girls and not boys ( a very stupid rule after my oppinion) they migth inherit their parrents when they are not alive in alot of years.
I don´t know what to call his sister Alexandra is she still princess or is she a countess? Her husband and son are count but what about Alexandra ?
I don´t know how longe the German court are to decide about the will.

Picture by Celebrity Pictures via Expressen

According to Swedish newspaper Expressen, who ran a short article on Carina Axelsson this past week, she grew up somewhere "in the mountains" in California, and now lives in Paris. She is a model (has modeled for Vogue and Marie Claire apparently) and author (has written one and is writing another book about the cartoon character Nigel), and illustrates the books herself.

http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=620166

After having done a little Google research, I've found two rather big pictures of Carina Axelsson, but since there's no credit given for them I can't post them here. They can though be seen on this page.

Apparently, she's signed with the very prestigious publishing house Assouline! Her book about Nigel was their first children's book, so that must've been a big accomplishment for her. Unfortunately they don't have a very good website (like many do have, with press sections including things like author bio's and pictures), but at their site for her first book 'Nigel in Hyde Park' you can see a few pictures from the inside of it (she's a great illustrator!). And what a fitting royal theme :D

I also found a little bit more info on her via this website http://www.workhousepr.com/assouline/nigel/:
"Carina Axelsson grew up in the forests of the Santa Cruz Mountains in California. Passionate about European history and the decorative arts, she moved to France in 1995 and hasn't left since. When not drawing and writing, she can be found in the country-side, in museums, or jogging around the Eiffel Tower."

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry. I don't understand how being 1/2 Swedish and 1/2 Mexican makes Carina a non Caucasian. Swedes are Caucasian as are most Mexicans. Is she of Aztec or other American Indian extraction then? Or some other race....Oriental, Black? And many Mexicans are Catholic, which is a Christian religion. Also many Mexicans are protestants, also a Christian set of religions. Please clarify. Thank you.
H.M. Margrethe said:
Yep her full name is Carina Axelsson and she is ½ Swedish and ½ Mexican.
She looks like being a nice lady and acording the newsmagazin Billedebladet she and Prince Gustav are going to be engaged in the present time...BUT ther is a snag to the love betwen the 2 of them...Acording to Prince Gustavs grandfarthers will Prince Gustav will loos everything if he and Carina are going to marry eatchother because she is not: (her the stupid thing come)

She is a beauty! Let's all hope the tide will turn in Gustav's favor very soon.:)

miss j said:
I am sorry. I don't understand how being 1/2 Swedish and 1/2 Mexican makes Carina a non Caucasian. Swedes are Caucasian as are most Mexicans. Is she of Aztec or other American Indian extraction then? Or some other race....Oriental, Black? And many Mexicans are Catholic, which is a Christian religion. Also many Mexicans are protestants, also a Christian set of religions. Please clarify. Thank you.

I think that Prince Gustavs grandfarther ment a skandinavian or a european Caucasian girl. I don´t know what religion Carina is in..I just hope that the court will rule in favour of Prince Gustav and Carina..I think it was so sad that he had to break up his first engagement with Elvire,but if she and her dad only was after his money and the estate in a divorsesettelment i think it is ok for Gustav..He just looked so sad at CP Frederiks wedding in 2004.

H.M. Margrethe said:
I think that Prince Gustavs grandfarther ment a skandinavian or a european Caucasian girl.
I think Aryan was the word used in Billed Bladet.

There is apparently an interview with Gustav and Carina in this week's Billed Bladet, perhaps a Dane could check it out for us, it would be very kind :)

On their website it says that Carina has moved into the castle in Berleburg and was presented to the residents this past weekend, were he openly showed his love for her during the village's festival, a shooting festival, were the residents gathered for a shooting competition, dancing, horn music and lots of beer.

Of course Billed Bladet ends by saying that an engagement is around the corner. If only his legal problems with the will would be solved soon.

http://www.billed-bladet.dk/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=4139

Picture from Billed Bladet online.

Attachments

• Gustav & Carina.jpg
    Gustav & Carina.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 304
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom